Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

Best boss fights (spoilers ahead)

Page: 1 of 1
 Negative Sun
09-06-2007, 7:18 PM
All (or most) good games have them: boss fights

But which ones are your favorites, and why?

I love:

*Metal Gear Solid - All the bosses in MGS pwn, but Ocelot and Mantis do so in particular, very fun and different fights.
*Devil May Cry - Nelo Angelo, Griffon and even Mundus are all great fun and very diverse boss fights.

I'm sure I had more in mind I just can't think of any right now...
 Weave
09-06-2007, 7:40 PM
Geez... Ninja Gaiden had a LOT of good boss fights... mostly because they were ridiculously hard...
 Rogue15
09-06-2007, 7:42 PM
lol when i first saw this thread i thought 'assistant mgr vs store manager melee'
 Negative Sun
09-06-2007, 7:46 PM
That's why it's in here and not Ahto ;)
 Weave
09-06-2007, 7:50 PM
"You can't fire me! I QUIT!!!!!!"

*Ignites lightsaber and swings wildly at the manager, decapitating the poor sap*

Or... the assistant will plot against the current heirarchy and wage a subtle revolution...

anywho...

The Final Fantasy skipable bosses (special ones you can skip) were pretty interesting...
 SykoRevan
09-06-2007, 8:39 PM
I like the boss fights in Jedi Outcast (Tavion and Desann) but then again, I love every time I get in a lightsaber fight in that game. Still, those boss fights were entertaining.

P.S. Now I'm going to start an actual "Best fight with your actual boss" thread in Ahto :lol:
 SilentScope001
09-06-2007, 8:46 PM
*Halo 1's Boss Fight. Why? There was no bosses at all. On the last level, you just have a horde of Covenant, Droid, and Flood forces to blow up as you rush to escape Halo. That's much more awesome than having to fight an annoying epic battle...it's unique and great.

*Vrook in TSL. Why? By far the hardest boss battle in TSL, and you had history with the guy.

*Master Hand in the Super Smash Brother Series. Why? He's just awesome. A floating Hand that brings doom and misery in the middle of space? Most surreal!
 Rogue15
09-06-2007, 9:17 PM
I really enjoyed Revan vs Malak, this is after i learned i could use health packs instantly through inventory menu instead of that annoying pause when applying them out-of-menu.
 Ctrl Alt Del
09-06-2007, 11:20 PM
Metal Gear bosses were always very inspired. What about a fight with a boss that can take hours? (The End) And if you advance 2 weeks on the console clock, he'll die of old age? (The End again) Or one you are meant to die FTW? (The Sorrow) Or another that if you insert a memory card on the second slot during a specific time, to earn a... a... bonus (Psycho Mantis)?
 tk102
09-07-2007, 1:36 AM
Hmm... I can't think of too many that stick in my head as "that was fun". Most of them are too easy.

Maybe Icewind Dale with "The Idol" where it spouts Power Word Kills at you or Yxunomei chasing you down with her Yuan-Ti.

To me, boss fights are a lot more fun when you have multiple characters to control because you can try so many different strategies. Scattering your ranged attackers, going in with tanks, keeping your healers on the peripheral. And of course the venerable "chase me!" tactic while everyone else strikes from a distance.

One-on-one fights are relatively boring because one you figure out the sequence you just do it repetitively until you win.
 Negative Sun
09-07-2007, 6:21 AM
Or another that if you insert a memory card on the second slot during a specific time, to earn a... a... bonus (Psycho Mantis)?
lolz I didn't know that...what bonus do you get?
 Jae Onasi
09-07-2007, 8:30 AM
The King of Shadows in NWN2. Not 1, not 2, but 3 manifestations of him to get through, all doing different things, all requiring different techniques for defeat, and if you haven't planned ahead, you are out of all your top spells and 'cure critical wounds' potions by the time you get mid-way through the fight. It's a long, drawn out fight.
 Lantzen
09-07-2007, 9:20 AM
Baldurs Gate 2: Throne of Bhaal with Accension was pretty intressing. Thats the first thing that pop into my mind anyway, but i know il have had better

And also Maffia, there you can talk about history between you and the "Boss" :)
 JoeDoe 2.0
09-07-2007, 9:33 AM
Geez... Ninja Gaiden had a LOT of good boss fights... mostly because they were ridiculously hard...

Some of 'em were really easy, but the boss fight on level 2 (the big horserider demon) was one of the hardest ones. The first REAL hard battle was when you face the Emperor.

DOOM 3 boss fights are very entertaining, the last fight with the Cyber Demon was one of the best, you just blast away minor demons to power up the Soul Cube then throw it at the Cyber Demon, its a good fight and use all your weapons on the little guys.
 stoffe
09-07-2007, 11:12 AM
All (or most) good games have them: boss fights
But which ones are your favorites, and why?

The boss fight in TES4:Oblivion was rather visually impressive. Just too bad you only played as the protagonist's sidekick in that game so you had to stand and cheer on the side lines while Mehrunes Dagon and Martin fought it out. :)
 Pavlos
09-07-2007, 1:07 PM
The King of Shadows in NWN2. Not 1, not 2, but 3 manifestations of him to get through, all doing different things, all requiring different techniques for defeat, and if you haven't planned ahead, you are out of all your top spells and 'cure critical wounds' potions by the time you get mid-way through the fight. It's a long, drawn out fight.

Yeah, I'd actually have to agree with that. I seem to remember Josh Sawyer saying that he redesigned it because it was a simple boss fight - I'm glad he did because as it stands it's actually a *really* good endurance fight. The same is true of the Crossroad Keep siege.

But I can't really think of my favourite boss battle, to be honest.
 Corinthian
09-07-2007, 1:13 PM
The Master, Fallout.

Frank Horrigan, Fallout 2.

The Battle for Victory Bay, Dawn of War: Dark Crusade. Not a boss fight per se, but close.

Arantir, Dark Messiah of Might and Magic.
 Q
09-07-2007, 3:26 PM
Bauldur's Gate 2: Throne of Bhaal -Demogorgon and Melissan- both very tough endurance-type fights where you'll probably run out of spells and you'll definitely have to use military tactics to beat them.

But like tk102 said: with a party of 6 there are quite a few different tactics you can use, and then there's always the Wish spell...
 Lantzen
09-07-2007, 3:28 PM
Yeah, I'd actually have to agree with that. I seem to remember Josh Sawyer saying that he redesigned it because it was a simple boss fight - I'm glad he did because as it stands it's actually a *really* good endurance fight. The same is true of the Crossroad Keep siege.

But I can't really think of my favourite boss battle, to be honest.

Wait, is that a mod or something, or have they pump KoS up in a later patch ?
If it's a mod, please link^^

Edit: @Qliver: Have you tryed Accensio mod to BG2 ? Think you would like that one, it's a little bit harder then the normal end battle, and more epic
 Q
09-07-2007, 4:20 PM
^^^Actually, I haven't. I've got all of the harder boss mods (not mods, really, as they were provided by a Bioware employee), but not that one. I'll definitely have to check it out.
 stingerhs
09-07-2007, 5:14 PM
Fable - fighting in the Arena, and more specifically fighting against that giant scorpion. definitely one of the best endurance battles in video games if you stick it out to the end

Chronicles of Riddick: Escape From Butcher Bay - the last fight against those two mechs. between their cloaking ability and the twin miniguns, that is quite a difficult battle in a relatively confined space. if you're not careful, you can easily be outflanked since its difficult to track both mechs at the same time.

Quake IV - the Hovertank sequence. by far one of the best sequences out of most video games ever, this one is capped with a drawn out fight against massive Harvesters, which are giant spider-like tanks. you face the first one mid-way through the sequence and two of them at the same time right at the end. definitely one of the best thrill-rides in video game history.

Half Life 2 - the Water Hazard sequence. the whole thing is basically a chase sequence with a Hunter-killer chopper shooting at you in your hovercraft and dropping mines everywhere. the sequence has a lot of great moments in it, and it gets really interesting whenever you get the machine gun attached to your hovercraft. another great sequence in video game history with a nice boss fight at the end when you finally get to take out the chopper.
 Cygnus Q'ol
09-07-2007, 5:38 PM
Jaws from Goldeneye
 Ctrl Alt Del
09-07-2007, 8:29 PM
Fable - fighting in the Arena, and more specifically fighting against that giant scorpion. definitely one of the best endurance battles in video games if you stick it out to the end.

Though Fable had a singular combat, I've found all battles (Even all the forms of Jack-of-Blades) ridiculously easy. Of course, it takes half an hour to finish the Arena sequence but it's still easy.

lolz I didn't know that...what bonus do you get?

Actually, I did a confusion there: If you change the controller to port 2 (Not the memory card)when the message "HIDEO" pops up on the screen, Mantis won't be able to read your mind, making the battle much more easier.

But there are several tricks you can do with the memory card:
1-Save three times before the battle and Mantis will call you reckless.

2-Save many (many indeed) times and Mantis qill tell you how wise you are.

3-If you have saved files of many games on the memory card (Like Castlevania, Policenauts, Suikoden) you'll get messages recorded byt Hideo Kojima himself or info about those games. (During Psycho Mantis fight)
 Commander Obi-Wan
09-07-2007, 9:10 PM
I dunno. Most of the boss fights seem to be rather easy.

Fighting Fontaine in BioShock was kinda too easy in all modes. And it was really too easy to predict what he did and how to avoid it.

In Jedi Outcast, when you fight Desann at the end, was WAY too easy. I honestly had more trouble fighting Tavion. Albeit, they were fun to fight against.

In Knights of the Old Republic, Malak was kinda easy as well, though it took a while to defeat him, and the was fun to play as well.

Probably the only boss, I've had trouble with is General RAAM from Gears of War. I can beat him in Casual difficulty, but I can't seem to defeat him in Hardcore (defeated him in co-op) or Insane.

Probably the best boss fight that comes to mind is probably fighting Malak.
 Rabish Bini
09-08-2007, 1:05 AM
Some of these have already been said, oh well:
-Master Hand, Super Smash Bros.
-Ocelot, Metal Gear Solid
-Metal Gear Ray and Solidus Snake, MGS2
-The big one-eyed thing, Duke Nukem 3D
-Xaero, Qukae 3: Arena
 Sabretooth
09-12-2007, 9:14 AM
Half Life 2 - the Water Hazard sequence. the whole thing is basically a chase sequence with a Hunter-killer chopper shooting at you in your hovercraft and dropping mines everywhere. the sequence has a lot of great moments in it, and it gets really interesting whenever you get the machine gun attached to your hovercraft. another great sequence in video game history with a nice boss fight at the end when you finally get to take out the chopper.

Agreed, that was the best section of Half-Life 2, IMHO. That was video game art.
 Darth Stephanie
09-12-2007, 10:44 AM
HELL NO! Breen Fight.... speically the last part.... " A predictable failure Mr. Freeman"
 Gargoyle King
09-12-2007, 4:12 PM
The Tenchu series has pretty good boss fights IMO, like Tenchu 2 with the leader of that Ninja Dragon cult thingy, Lady Kagana.
 mur'phon
09-15-2007, 8:45 AM
Prince of persia3:the golem thing you use as a battering ram and the wizier are both beautifull (though not very hard) fights.

Freedom force vs the third reich: entropy, drawn out fight that punish power-playing-one-man-armies.
 tk102
09-24-2007, 2:31 PM
Ah I forgot Tholapsyx, the red dragon in Act 3 of NWN2. She was a tough battle.
 Gargoyle King
09-24-2007, 5:10 PM
Sephiroth in FFVII, the sourceress (aka taking the biscuit in length boss at the very end of the game :lol: ) from FFVIII; i enjoyed these bosses. I liked Jecht in FFX aswell, the second form was always quite a pain (for me atleast anyways).
 mur'phon
09-25-2007, 6:12 AM
Freedom Force: mr mecanical, few things can match having your characters sent flying over a bunch of buildings, and then take revenge by throwing cars at him.

Icewind dale2: the sorcerer at the bridge, the most epic music ever makes me play this battle again and again.
 Ctrl Alt Del
09-30-2007, 4:37 PM
I liked Jecht in FFX aswell, the second form was always quite a pain (for me atleast anyways).

Though Yu Yevon was quite a letdown. Too easy to beat, even if your Aeons are powerful.
 Alexander the Great
10-08-2007, 9:37 PM
Any of the major champ fights in Fight Night: Round 3 were pretty good. They were nice and challenging, even if they might not be considered bossfights.

I liked the bossfights in Fable, even though they were exceedingly easy (Jack of Blades, the Arena scorpion, etc.) But there are mods that can help that out.

In Gears of War, the berserker fights were really fun to me. They weren't extremely easy but not impossible, either. They have you on the edge of your seat with your heart pounding and all.
 JediAthos
10-12-2007, 9:25 AM
I thought Kreia in K2 was a decent fight. It might not have been the hardest, but the floating lightsaber thing was cool :)

How bout the first time you took on Tyson in Punchout? Anyone remember doing that fight for the first time :)

I don't know if you want to count MMO's or not, but WoW has some great dungeon boss fights.
 Marius Fett
11-28-2007, 11:40 AM
Jak and Daxter: The Precursor Legacy
Jak II: Renegade
Jak 3

The end bosses in all three of these awsome games were all really good, though my favourite end boss of all time has to be Shang Tsung at the end of the original MK...

Finish Him!

Flawless Victory!

Awsome games...
 Serpentine Cougar
12-01-2007, 12:49 AM
No one mentioned any Zelda? I like the bosses is those games because you always have to figure out the method for killing them and it's usually pretty interesting. "Ganon-ball" at the end of Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time is probably my favorite boss battle of all time.
 Lance Monance
12-01-2007, 7:37 AM
The axe guy and the sword guy in Price of Persia 3. You have to figure out what to do as both seem invulnerable at first. Its quite challenging, took me more than 5 attempts I think.

Lee in Jade Empire. Extremely easy but the music kicked ass!

Irenicus in BG2. He's just such a cool villain.

Kangaxx in BG2. He's such a tough adversary.

Final level in HlІ where you have to chase Breen.
 Nancy Allen``
12-01-2007, 5:03 PM
I had a good think about this and there's a few boss battles I personally think are worthy of mention. Michael Jordan in NBA Street would be the ultimate test, who's better than him? Resident Evil had some good boss battles, how about that knife fight against Krauser? The second Syphon Filter game had a unique boss battle and the endless taunting made it memorable. To be real old school how about the chance to kill the Emperor back in that old Return of the Jedi game? A lot of people say Metal Gear, and I would agree, singling out the Boss as the best (as in The Boss). But perhaps the best one would be Sephiroth. Just the chance to make him pay puts it in the top spot.
 Ctrl Alt Del
12-01-2007, 6:41 PM
Resident Evil had some good boss battles, how about that knife fight against Krauser?

Nah, it's a beautiful cutscene but you don't get to actually fight him.

But perhaps the best one would be Sephiroth. Just the chance to make him pay puts it in the top spot.

For Final Fantasy bosses, I've never had greater satisfaction than the one I had when fighting Kefka (FFVI). He was a monster!
 Corinthian
12-02-2007, 1:35 AM
Ah, and I forgot.

Slaying Ad Avis, Quest for Glory II. Talk about in the nick of time...and no one has any idea what I'm talking about.
 Uilleand
12-03-2007, 5:12 PM
Mass Effect
The whole damned ending was so bloody epic, I can't even begin to describe it...but, when it comes to the big boss, you can of course choose to fight him.

However....:spoiler: Max your charm or intimidate skills and just convince him to BLOW HIS OWN HEAD OFF...seriously!! I could't frickin' BELIEVE it!! Best boss 'fight' EVAR FTW.
 Nancy Allen``
12-03-2007, 9:00 PM
I'm a gonna do that. I'm gonna be the evil bitch that I already am and do that. That rules.
 SilentScope001
12-03-2007, 10:09 PM
Wait, choose to fight him?

Meaning, you DON'T have to fight him?

That's the best boss fight ever!
 Arcesious
12-03-2007, 10:38 PM
Halo II

Just me with two needlers, a banshee, and tons of ammo vrs a bunch of those really big guys. and soem eneemies on ghosts. can't rember the name of em though.

that battle was awesome.

here's how it went. i had a bnashee and needlers full of ammo.

From right in the air i gunned down the big guys with banshee missiles and plasma cannons. Then, the ranged weapon users came after me...
they had ghosts, and banshees. i was over a cliff edge in my banshee, abotu to explode form damage. i jumped out, fired my needlers at a guy in another banshee, he died, i jumped on, nearly fallign off the cliff in the jump, flew around, and blew up the res tof the buys that were on ghosts. then... guys with missile launchers came in, and hit me. i jumped off, cause my manuevering wasn't enoguh to avoid a dozen missiles at once. i landed on an empty ghost, huidden behind a rock, sncuk aroudn the other side, and blew up the missile guys. and then the battle came to the more boring parts when all i did was shoot grunts and jackals.
 Corinthian
12-15-2007, 4:52 PM
Assault on the Royal Spire, Exile I: Escape from the Pit.

Battle with Rentar Ihrno, Exile III: Ruined World.

The Battle with Kerghan, Arcanum: Of Steamworks and Magick Obscura
 Rabish Bini
12-23-2007, 2:41 AM
I change my previous post. The best ever is:

God in The Simpsons Game. You verse God in a Dance Dance Revolution style game to Scorpions "Rock You Like A Hurricane".
What a great boss fight. :D
 Lantzen
12-23-2007, 9:46 AM
Mass Effect
The whole damned ending was so bloody epic, I can't even begin to describe it...but, when it comes to the big boss, you can of course choose to fight him.
However....:spoiler: Max your charm or intimidate skills and just convince him to BLOW HIS OWN HEAD OFF...seriously!! I could't frickin' BELIEVE it!! Best boss 'fight' EVAR FTW.
Think you would like one of the Fallout1 endings ;)
 Cygnus Q'ol
12-26-2007, 2:20 PM
Saren
Page: 1 of 1