Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

Look Out! It's the Apocalypse!

Page: 1 of 2
 Tysyacha
08-14-2007, 6:25 PM
How will the world, as we know it, come to an end?
 Achilles
08-14-2007, 6:51 PM
I choose the final option because it most closely represents the predicted model. All life on this planet would most likely be dead and gone (the conditions necessary to support life having dissipated) long before the sun's final throes.
 Arcesious
08-14-2007, 6:52 PM
You didn't include every possible way. Bujt i voted on natural disasters. if you look att the international earthquake moniter, you can see that a lot of earthquakes are happening far off of the coast of california, in whatever oean is their- if porgot whether it was pacific or atlantic. These earthquakes appear to be signs of a much bigger one- one that coudl result in the earth's crust breakign liek an egg.
War will never destroy our world- it is more controlled than yuo may realize. Most goverments avoid using superweapons as much as they can now, partly because of the Internatioanl Treaty.
The other things- highly unlikely to happen anytime soon, especially the sun goign supernova. If anything, i'm a Christian- and i have certain beiefs that may not be fulyl scientific- but in the Book of revelation in the bible- in mentions a great earthquake will happen in the end tiems, and earth will be destoyed by fire, and then a new heaven and a new earth will come after that. but that is my belief- i don't care how scientifically unsound it is, so don't yell at me about it, and let's not turn thi sinto a conversation over religion.
The destyoed by fire thing in bible could caused by that of an enormous solar flare.
 SilentScope001
08-14-2007, 7:05 PM
Final option, FTW.
 mimartin
08-14-2007, 9:21 PM
If you are asking about the planets existence, I voted for the Sun going supernova. If it more about man existence Al Gore already said it will be man made disaster – global warming.
 Arcesious
08-14-2007, 10:04 PM
Csn i recast my vote for supernova somehow?

There's not a way to change votes once submitted. Sorry about that. --Jae
 Totenkopf
08-15-2007, 12:16 AM
Defining the world as the planet, I'd agree that the last option is the most likely. Had you said civilization, then perhaps #s 1 or 3.
 MdKnightR
08-15-2007, 1:00 AM
If you are asking about the planets existence, I voted for the Sun going supernova. If it more about man existence Al Gore already said it will be man made disaster – global warming.

Myth!
 Q
08-15-2007, 2:17 AM
Geek mode on.

Technically, the sun will never go supernova. It's not massive enough. It will most likely expand into a red giant and then contract into a dwarf star (red or white; I forget which) after it has expended most of it's hydrogen. It will, however, end all life on Earth when it does, so I guess that's close enough.:)
 Achilles
08-15-2007, 2:23 AM
(red or white; I forget which) White :D
 Q
08-15-2007, 2:55 AM
^^^Thank you.:xp:

I voted supernova/(red giant) for the end of the Earth. Otherwise I agree with Death's Head that the most likely causes of Civilization's demise would be 1 or 3 or both (as war tends to breed pandemics).
 Char Ell
08-15-2007, 9:56 AM
What I've often found curious is how the word apocalypse came to mean the end of the world when it's Greek origins mean to uncover or reveal. I guess it has something to do with the Book of Revelation in the Bible's New Testament.

As to the question of how the world will end, if that means the world of mankind then I think it will be a combination of war and disease, exacerbated by a lack of essential resources. I don't think life as we know it will last until our sun burns out.
 MacTavish
08-15-2007, 10:07 AM
I picked the first option. Although there are going to be many wars to come, once the weapons technology becomes so advanced, that I think it could severely wound the human race. But it wont die completely, not until the sun goes nova, and that will be a while.
 tk102
08-15-2007, 10:07 AM
Where's the death by aliens choice? :( I thought this was a Star Wars forum.
:deathstar

Fixed just for you, tk. :D
 Sabretooth
08-15-2007, 10:08 AM
I pick shortage of resources, because I'm out of water and have to wait some five hours for the water to start flowing though my tap again. Simply put, the population is gonna keep growing, resources will be sucked out and looking at the pace of progress, I don't think humanity can invent a "Turn-off" switch yet.

Nuclear assault is possible, but unlikely. Disease is unlikely too and I don't believe that my good friend Sun will go supernova anytime soon.

So it's lack of resources for me. C'mon goddamned water, c'mon!
 Arcesious
08-15-2007, 10:16 AM
Earth can sustain itslef as long as humanity does not expand over earth to far. The trees and palnts create oxygen, grwo rpidly, and provide much sustainance. the animals multipy qute fast also, but must be keep under check so we don't wipe out a vital species. Global warming might actually be a good thing too- more water! I don't care about global warming- as i live in colorado! far, far, away from the oceans. lolz, but i'm not completely stupid, as i was joking about the global warming thing. as i said once before- the internatioanl treaty prevents use any weapon that can harm the world itself badly.

My sig may destroy the world though...
 mimartin
08-15-2007, 10:36 AM
Myth!
How can you say that? Remember he is the inventor of the internet. He knows all our secrets. Al Gore can do anything (except beat Bush in an election, wait he even did that). ;)
 Ray Jones
08-15-2007, 10:41 AM
The only option really making sense is the sun goes supernova or something, because THAT would actually end the existence of the solar system. The world won't "end" because of a flood or diseases.
 Dagobahn Eagle
08-15-2007, 11:22 AM
Please, define your question a bit better. What I dislike about threads such as this is that 'the end of the world' is very vague and varies in definition from person to person. Are you talking about the end of global civilization, the extinction of mankind, the destruction of the Earth, or the end of the universe?

If you mean the extinction of humanity, it could be any of the above. A catastrophic war, a pandemic, a horrific climate catastrophe far greater than what we're seeing now, the Sun failing us, an asteroid hitting Earth. It could be anything. It'll probably be a combination of them, though, for example if a climate crisis causes shortage of resources and horrific wars while it destroys us.

Myth!I see your reply and up you a Marcus Brickstone (http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=5877085015664241928&q=marcus+religion&total=56&start=0&num=10&so=0&type=search&plindex=0):D).

No, anthropogenic global warming won't destroy us as a species. We'll fight it long before it does, we already are, in fact. And even if we didn't, it'd take it a long time to do so. But that's not to say AGW isn't real or dangerous, 'alarmism' aside.
 SilentScope001
08-15-2007, 11:29 AM
The best bet? The human race grows into an uber-powerful race that is immortal and all-mighty...

And then it just grows so bored that it kills itself. The End.
 PoiuyWired
08-15-2007, 11:38 AM
OP failed to mention other possabilities, like demolitioned to make way for a transgalactic highway.
 Dagobahn Eagle
08-15-2007, 11:45 AM
Oh! Oh! Oh! Humanity evolves into another species! Yeah. The end.

Sounds plausible, now that you say so.
 Arcesious
08-15-2007, 11:58 AM
Huanity could also juast go poof any second into a black hole that could come out of nowhere at any time...
 Jae Onasi
08-15-2007, 12:44 PM
Friendly moderator note: If this thread gets ultra-spammy, as opposed to just amusingly quirky, it'll get closed. Feel free to enjoy the amusing comments, but don't post totally whacked responses, please.
 Qui-Gon Glenn
08-15-2007, 3:27 PM
I also disliked the ambiguity of the question, but will attempt a two fold answer briefly.

1. The planet "Earth" will be here until some galactic event destroys it (collision, :deathstar). So for the actual planets end, I choose the ammended Achilles/Qliveur nova.

2. People call this planet "Earth" "the world" "terra firma" etc... names created by human minds. Without human minds, those words have no meaning, thus the end of "the world"... "the world" ends when we do, although a floating rock in space remains.

This will occur IMO due to natural disaster/calamity. Fire and brimstone stuff, although I don't believe any deity is causing it to occur ;)
 PoiuyWired
08-15-2007, 5:37 PM
Well, Assume that we don't kill ourselves off in the first place, we would eventually succeed in space travel, and start contaminating and infecting other planets.

I think the question above though, is about this planet, this piece of rock(and things). Then it would mostlikely be the sun going nova.

Obviously we cannot exclude the possability of destruction via out own species, or other alien species, once the human(or whatever we call it in the future as long as there are pointy ears) starts populating other stars.

I mean, there MUST be alien lifeforms out there, given the probability. Obviously meeting them would be a problem, not to mention meeting a species of space travelling ability. And if we find any primitive sentients... *sigh* rest be sure there would be some fun genocide going on, amongst other things.
 JediMaster12
08-15-2007, 6:47 PM
I actually don't choose any of the above because at one point some of those options will take place during a span of seven years. Yes I am referring to the actual apocalypse as written in the Book of Revelation. While I have a scientist's hard hat I have my religious one and I sincerely believe that it will happen.
 Achilles
08-15-2007, 7:23 PM
I actually don't choose any of the above because at one point some of those options will take place during a span of seven years. Yes I am referring to the actual apocalypse as written in the Book of Revelation. While I have a scientist's hard hat I have my religious one and I sincerely believe that it will happen. Summary of Christian eschatological differences (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Summary_of_Christian_eschatological_differences)

Also, you're aware that every major mythology has a set of myths surround the end times (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/End_Times), right? What makes the story that christianity sells any more plausible?
 Totenkopf
08-16-2007, 12:27 AM
Reminds me of the statement about how God will come like a thief in the night, so always be on your gaurd (ie live the right kind of life), for you know not the hour.
 MdKnightR
08-16-2007, 12:57 AM
I see your reply and up you a Marcus Brickstone (http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=5877085015664241928&q=marcus+religion&total=56&start=0&num=10&so=0&type=search&plindex=0):D).

Pretty funny guy! However, I have to wonder why you put a link to his rant on religion. Do you see me as a religious sort just because I don't believe that humans make a significant impact on global warming? Nothing could be further from the truth.
 Dagobahn Eagle
08-16-2007, 10:47 AM
Because I... gave you the wrong link:p. Here you go (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QHODxDlRdRQ).
 MdKnightR
08-16-2007, 2:31 PM
Because I... gave you the wrong link:p. Here you go (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QHODxDlRdRQ).

I took the liberty of listening to that after his rant on religion last night. Its not near as funny though. I guess that he is to you what George Carlin is to me.
 JediMaster12
08-16-2007, 4:27 PM
Summary of Christian eschatological differences (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Summary_of_Christian_eschatological_differences)

Also, you're aware that every major mythology has a set of myths surround the end times (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/End_Times), right? What makes the story that christianity sells any more plausible?
I see you quoted wikipedia Achilles. I have no choice but to not trust it. I believe I have said a fair piece on the validity of wikipedia. Anyway all I am saying is that there are some things that science won't always predict. end ties I think is one of them. All goes to whether you have faith or not.
 Achilles
08-16-2007, 4:38 PM
I see you quoted wikipedia Achilles. I have no choice but to not trust it.Hmmm...the article was well-cited (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Summary_of_Christian_eschatological_differences#No) tes) when I looked.
Interesting that you won't assign any value to this because you percieve it as having questionable authorship, however you'll committ yourself completely to a text that was written more than 2,000 years ago by (mostly) anonymous authors that used now-dead languages and has been subjected to innumerable textual alterations throughout the years. Doesn't seem very intellectually honest to me.

Anyway all I am saying is that there are some things that science won't always predict. end ties I think is one of them. All goes to whether you have faith or not. If you'd like to offer your reasons for why you think the story outlined in the book of revelations is more credible than any of the other end time myths (feel free to include the scientific predictions regarding the death of our sun), I'd more than love to hear what you have to say.
 Darth InSidious
08-16-2007, 7:37 PM
Societal fragmentation and economic atrophy.

Failing that, rivers the colour of blood, wormwood, seven angels, a scroll that tastes sweet and feels bitter and four people on horseback with gibberish instructions.
 Tysyacha
08-16-2007, 9:31 PM
Tysyacha here, and I'm having a heaping helping of some crow cocktail as an aperitif, followed by crow cordon bleu as my entree, crow Cobb salad as a side dish, crow cornbread as my slice of biscuit carbs with my meal, and for dessert, crow cobbler a la mode! (Oops, just found out they're all out of that. I'll settle for humble pie instead.)

How come it only occurred to me that my question was ambiguous only AFTER I hit the "SUBMIT POLL" key?!? Arrrgh!!! Definitely wasn't playing my pazaak "A" game...:)

Anyway, what I really mean is actually 2 questions instead of the vague-azoid 1:

Question 1: How will this planet come to an end? I vote the Sun going nova.
Question 2: How will civilization come to an end? I vote war/terrorism.

Sorry for any and all confusion this question has caused you. And to think I got an "A" in Stats when I took it as a community college satellite course back in 2003!
 JoeDoe 2.0
08-16-2007, 9:36 PM
Nuclear war, thats how. We'll kill each other.

Or we consume all the natural resources and fight for the few remaining scraps.
 Arcesious
08-16-2007, 11:25 PM
No nuclear war. Don't orget th eInternatioanl Treaty prevents that- if soebody desides to fire a nuke without permission from all 3 world superpowers, they'll face grave consequences.
For example:

If hugo chvez tries to hit the U.S with a nuke, the assassination amendment or whateve r it's called will become null and void towards venzula, and the U.S will be allowing to assinate Hugo chavez.
If north Korea tries to kill us, they'll fail due to the nifty new offshore anti-missile defenses platforms. One platform on each coast, each will multi-thousand mile range, and effective agaisnt multiple missile attacks. if that fail, the International Satellite network's few military staellites can shoot them down.

If noclear war ensues between the three world superpowers, we all know who'll win. The U.S of course. Were the top dog military superpower. even if we do take soem damge in a nuclear war, we'll still win in the very end. Note that we have constiderable advnatage due to the fact that the U.S controls th wrolds majority of military satellites...
 Jae Onasi
08-17-2007, 12:25 AM
No nuclear war. Don't orget th eInternatioanl Treaty prevents that- if soebody desides to fire a nuke without permission from all 3 world superpowers, they'll face grave consequences.

That's assuming we're all still around and haven't completely destroyed each other with the nukes in the first place. The people who are going to use the nukes aren't going to care about any treaties.
 Achilles
08-17-2007, 12:29 AM
if soebody desides to fire a nuke without permission from all 3 world superpowers Forgive me: which three are those? Last I had heard, the U.S. was the only superpower in the world. Apparently that comes with a clause that exempts us from the nuclear non-proliferation treaty, a fact that makes us appears as hypocrites to other nations and emboldens those that consider us to be imperialists.
 MdKnightR
08-17-2007, 12:59 AM
Here's a link to an article that appeared in my local paper today. I love reading Walter Williams' column every week. This one is called Deadly Environmentalists (http://www.gmu.edu/departments/economics/wew/articles/07/deadlyenvironmentalists.htm).
 Sabretooth
08-17-2007, 1:16 AM
For example:

If hugo chvez tries to hit the U.S with a nuke, the assassination amendment or whateve r it's called will become null and void towards venzula, and the U.S will be allowing to assinate Hugo chavez.
If north Korea tries to kill us, they'll fail due to the nifty new offshore anti-missile defenses platforms. One platform on each coast, each will multi-thousand mile range, and effective agaisnt multiple missile attacks. if that fail, the International Satellite network's few military staellites can shoot them down.

If noclear war ensues between the three world superpowers, we all know who'll win. The U.S of course. Were the top dog military superpower. even if we do take soem damge in a nuclear war, we'll still win in the very end. Note that we have constiderable advnatage due to the fact that the U.S controls th wrolds majority of military satellites...

Some questions:

1. What three superpowers?
2. When do you need a permission from another country to launch a nuke? You think that country would grant the permission?
3. Ever considered the possibility of other nations having better weaponry, but not advertising it as extensively as America?

(The last question is a little less serious!)
 Totenkopf
08-17-2007, 3:32 AM
Some questions:

1. What three superpowers?
2. When do you need a permission to launch a nuke from another country? You think that country would grant the permission?
3. Ever considered the possibility of other nations having better weaponry, but not advertising it as extensively as America?

(The last question is a little less serious!)

I suspect the PRC was being included in that group.
 mur'phon
08-17-2007, 6:15 PM
they'll fail due to the nifty new offshore anti-missile defenses platforms.
Last time I checked these things have only been able to hit misilies when they had the planned path of the missiles, and even then they missed around half of the time. Ad decoys to the mix, and relying on them to keep you safe seems rather risky

the International Satellite network's few military staellites can shoot them down

Have this ever been tested, against balistic missiles? If so where?

The U.S of course. Were the top dog military superpower. even if we do take soem damge in a nuclear war, we'll still win in the very end

Russia has a huge number of nuclear missiles, enough to cover every american city many times over. In addition, their weapons are spread over all of Russia, as well as in subs. Of course, the U.S can destroy Russia, (as well as any other country), but It won't neccesary be in first place after a nuclear war, it might be tied for last place..............
 Darth InSidious
08-17-2007, 6:34 PM
I believe the three nuclear powers are probably the US (who nicked our scientists for it), us (the UK, who grabbed it because the US were being wankers over having it), and either Russia or China (because the US and the UK were getting jittery).

And these weapons systems and defence systems are all computers. This whole discussion neglects the real war- the hacking war to get into one anothers systems/block one anothers hackers. If you aren't careful, all your base are belong to us, you are on the path to destruction, and you have no chance to survive, make your time ha ha ha ha...

Assuming that isn't an issue, one co-ordinated missile strike could destroy the USA without much difficulty. Take out the Pentagon, NORAD, the CIA etc and the rest will follow...Of course, hacking and/or distracting them first is a good option, too..."cuius testiculos habes...", as the saying goes. :)

EDIT: Oh, and my original post in this thread referred to a societal collapse. In the end, we will probably be conquered, and the bones of our descendants shall be shaped into flutes. A few of our books will survive, and a couple of stone buildings, and that'll be about it.
 PoiuyWired
08-18-2007, 12:32 PM
I actually don't choose any of the above because at one point some of those options will take place during a span of seven years. Yes I am referring to the actual apocalypse as written in the Book of Revelation. While I have a scientist's hard hat I have my religious one and I sincerely believe that it will happen.

Including things like weirdos flying around on monsters and nikkid angels lopping heads off?

I think its time for you to stalk up on anti-monster bullets then, so you can snipe down a few of them angels when the time comes.
 The Source
08-19-2007, 7:06 PM
I choose "Death By Aliens".
 Fredi
08-19-2007, 7:09 PM
Super nova in acople of hundred years.... yah
 Miltiades
08-19-2007, 7:27 PM
I chose natural disasters. Maybe some gigantic volcano eruption. It could be a mixture of tsunami's, earthquakes, droughts, you name it. Otherwise, it'll be an enormous asteroid, like the one that (probably) exterminated the dinosaurs.
 Arcesious
08-19-2007, 7:35 PM
Maybe that one Anubis Asterid that's coming by to say hi to earth in 2036 or whatever?
You know, we could all die form a black hole any second, as a black hole could be swallowing up the universe as we speak, and we'll also be slwallowed up tommorow before we evene know the universe is being obliterated by it. :p
Page: 1 of 2