Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

3dmax useage

Page: 1 of 1
 LordRevan999
07-12-2007, 8:36 PM
I don't know a bit about 3d max but I have heard that it is a great tool to retexture clothes etc.So I bought it but now I don't even know how to retexture
jedi robes and how to import it in 3d max etc.Is there any one who can help me.
 Master Zionosis
07-12-2007, 8:58 PM
I'm not aware of Max being able to re texture and I use the application myself, 3DS Max is a professional 3D modelling program.

If you want to start skinning, then Adobe Photoshop ($$$) is what you need, or something very similar and free called GIMP.

Hope this helps :)
 LORD SPARTAN
07-12-2007, 9:01 PM
I really hope for you that you didn't really bought it :lol:

The only 3 things you need is Knights of the old republic installed, Fred Tetra's Kotor Tool (very usefull in so many ways) and some image editor programme that can edit tga files (Photo Shop, Paint Shop or Gimp). But look at Holowan Laboratories tutorial thread it will help you even more.
 LordRevan999
07-12-2007, 10:09 PM
Ok so a total loss.But then on second thought what is this 3d modelling and how it is done might come in handy.
 Master Zionosis
07-12-2007, 10:22 PM
You can use Max to 'edit' KotOR .mdl files and create 'new' modelled saber hilts for example.

Though to do that you will need NWMax plugin for 3ds Max.

Hope this helps :D
 LordRevan999
07-12-2007, 10:33 PM
Ok I downloaded that nwmax plugin for it and used it to open a blaster .mdl but i can't figure out how to make changes etc.
 Master Zionosis
07-12-2007, 10:37 PM
Ahh well for that you'll have to look in the modelling tutorials at the top of Holowan, there should be some to teach you how to edit models and such.

EDIT: Here's a link to the tut's.

Clicky (http://www.lucasforums.com/showthread.php?t=143264)
 spyblade
07-13-2007, 1:04 AM
I'm not sure how similar gmax and 3dmax are (as I have not used either), but there is a thread specific to using modeling tools to help with reskinning. It's called How to capture a models UV map to aid in Retexturing (http://www.lucasforums.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=143301) it is on the thread link given by mz above, though you may have already seen it. So maybe 3dmax won't be a complete waste. :smash:
 Kristy Kistic
07-13-2007, 6:50 AM
I personally find gmax to be invaluable in reskinning. You can immediately see your texture changes as well as get up close and personal with the model to see any places where the texture might have overlapped onto some other part of the model.

It isn't always obvious as to which part of the texture goes to which part of the model (especially with character models) so gmax also is a great help with that.

I'm sure you can use 3dsmax to do the same. If you've spent the money, you might as well learn to do some modelling. :)
 Miltiades
07-13-2007, 7:21 AM
Here (http://usa.autodesk.com/adsk/servlet/item?siteID=123112&id=8177537) are some very useful tutorials to get underway with 3Ds Max 9.

I can only agree with Kristy. If you've bought it, then you might as well learn how to work in 3Ds Max.
 Quanon
07-13-2007, 8:05 AM
I use 3D max aswell ; to model lots of fun stuff ( you can use this for what ever game you wish to mod ) .

I've found this site , from psyko , some-one who makes models for Jedi Academy and is active here on LucasForums in the JK department.
It got some usefull links to tutorials about modelling and how to texture them and all . I found it very very usefull .

Click Me (http://www3.sympatico.ca/psykopat/)
 LordRevan999
07-15-2007, 8:30 AM
Ok I Read the tutorials are autodesk.com and downloaded the files but when I try to open them there is error in file opening.So do I have to update 3d max and I have 3d max 8 so what should I do to open those files.For example the introduction tutorial in pdf form opens but the files required under it to practice cannot be opened.So is it a bug or what.
 T7nowhere
07-15-2007, 5:01 PM
Contact autodesk for any 3dsmax problems you may have they will mostly likely have the best answer for you, However though you should make sure that you the tutorials are installed to the correct folder. should be something like Autodesk\3dsMax8\tutorials

I'm not certain about that though ;) . I do recall though that the tutorials were like help files and you should be able to gain access to them through 3dsmax 8 menu.
Page: 1 of 1