Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

Celebrity and the Legal System

Page: 1 of 1
 Quist
06-08-2007, 9:47 AM
I'm sure anyone who watches the news even casually (like myself) has heard of Paris Hilton's latest brush with the law and her subsequent incarceration and release. It turns out that after only a day or two behind bars, Paris has been released into house arrest, following what can only be medically described as a mental breakdown. This article (http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/19095683/) pretty much describes what I feel about this whole mess.

What does everyone else think? Is it right to give Paris Hilton what is basically a very, very light slap on the wrist for a potentially life-threatening crime? Or does this ugly situation undermine the very fabric of our legal system?

Not that I'm one for idle speculation, but I wonder how this whole thing would have blown over had someone been seriously hurt or, heaven forbid, killed by her.
 JoeDoe 2.0
06-08-2007, 9:51 AM
Iknew this had to do with Paris Hilton. I thought that she was going to stay there for like a month, but it seems justice turns a blind eye and looks at the money instead. Paris should have stayed in jail until her wild nature was subdue (a.k.a. FOREVER)
 ChAiNz.2da
06-08-2007, 10:04 AM
 Jae Onasi
06-08-2007, 10:42 AM
I think the jail sentence was probably longer than what it would have been for non-celebrities. However, they let her go under house arrest for her 'medical condition', and yet she has a party planned for a bunch of people tonight at her place. If she's too sick to be in jail, she's too sick to be having a big party.

Jail isn't supposed to be a joyride.
 mimartin
06-08-2007, 12:02 PM
While I agree that the sentence was longer then the usually sentence would have been for a non-celebrity, I thought it was appropriate for someone that showed a total disrespect for the court, the rule of law and especially the public at large. Anyone, celebrity or even us plain citizens that knowingly and publicly showed ourselves to be above the rule of law as Ms. Hilton has would get the same wraith from the Judge (She believes she is above the law, who does she think she is George Bush).

If the planned party is true, I wouldn’t be surprised to see her sentence increased. How any anyone be that arrogant or stupid?

(I hope) :lol:

ChAiNz.2da how could you wish that any living creature be locked up? Especially someone as talented as Ms. Hilton, she is a real role model to today’s youth. :toilet1: I have to go something I wrote must not of agreed with me.
 JediMaster12
06-08-2007, 12:03 PM
Personally I think celebs are getting off too easy lately. If what Mama Jae says is true then I'd say haul her butt right back to jail. Growing up I was taught that if you break the law, you have to pay for the crime. Which is probably why I am straightlaced :D
Anyway, I thought that Paris deserved to spend time behind bars. She has been allowed to do what she wanted for too long.
 mimartin
06-08-2007, 3:47 PM
She was ordered back to jail for the full 45 days. I bet 28 days does not sound all that bad to Ms. Hilton right now.

Can’t say I blame her. Being incarcerated would kill me. Even when I was a kid and my mother would ground me I would go crazy. Something about being told when and where I could and could not go got to me. Like they say if you can’t do the time don’t do the crime.
 swphreak
06-08-2007, 6:40 PM
I feel the need to point out a difference between "prison" and "jail." Prison is where the gangbangers who will shank you are housed, and jails are usually smaller facilities filled with people serving small time or awaiting trial. Add the fact that she's a "celebrity" to the equation, and she probably has her own cell in protective custody.

She should be thankful she's only serving jail time, and not being sent to prison for vehicular/intoxicated manslaughter.
 Darth InSidious
06-08-2007, 7:07 PM
This has been a problem since Roman and pre-Roman law and justice. What're you gonna do about it?

Frankly, Ms. Hilton's behaviour doesn't surprise me. The fact that she has attained social status, fame and wads of cash with absolutely nothing between her ears makes me want to throw up in disgust. Preferably over her body. The best thing to do is to deprive her of her one asset - fame. Ignore the silly, brainless twit.

Let her ruin her life, and when she's forty, shaped like a saggy balloon and the size of a nuclear submarine, dying of liver cancer and sterile, with the face of an ugly chimpanzee and no hair from peroxide poisoning or somesuch, alone, unloved, forgotten and scrounging around for enough McDonalds, ethanol and roll-ups to keep her feeling vaguely alive, living in the gutter and penniless, then make a song and dance, and show people what that kind of idiocy leads to.

People like her make me despair for the future of the human race more than nuclear arms - we've survived weapons, but I really doubt we can survive this kind of plasticated, brain-sapping...eurgh. She may have a bonny figure, but she's utterly disgusting to me.
 Det. Bart Lasiter
06-08-2007, 7:34 PM
This has been a problem since Roman and pre-Roman law and justice. What're you gonna do about it?
Robot judges.
 True_Avery
06-09-2007, 6:29 AM
She is back in Jail! That was all that was on the news today.

Oh, and I am laughing at everybody who says that she was getting a harsh sentence. Harsh? Ahahaha. She violated parol 3 times. Normal people are not allowed to do that. She gets 45 days, then gets it lowed to 28! For doing that, I have heard of people going away for 6 months to a year.

Then the Sherif lets her out for "mental distress." Jail is not supposed to be a joyride. You are supposed to be in stressed out, regretful, anoyed, and sad. Everybody would go to Jail if it was fun. She refused to eat? Haha, she hasn't eaten a full meal since she was 13. She was stressed? I hope she was, a mental breakdown would do loads for her character. She was angry? If I was a diva in a blue jumpsuit I would be angry too.

But then she gets dragged back to jail with the full 45 day sentence. Oh come on, she is getting the joyride through jail which is disgusting. She goes to a celebrity wing of the Jail, get good meals in her cell every day, lives in her cell alone, etc etc etc. I want her to be in normal jail, in a normal cell with a violent woman name Brenda who would make the bratty little diva her b****. Anything to get into that girls mind that she cannot live like that forever.

She is a diva who loves attention. Being alone in a cell is the worst type of hell imaginable for her. I saw the news today and people flipped out about it more than any event I have seen in a long time. This country disgusts me. Deeply. Time to set plans to move it Canada or something.

In summary, the Justice System sucks.

Sorry if I seem really angry, but the fact that this was the only thing on the news -all- day was rather irritating. Some of us honestly do care about what happens around the world.
 SilentScope001
06-09-2007, 10:56 AM
Three question:

If everyone hate Paris Hilton, then why is she a celebrity? Doesn't a celeberity, after all, means someone who is popular and well-liked? Wouldn't it be more accurate to call her "lynch mob victim"?
 Det. Bart Lasiter
06-09-2007, 12:04 PM
Three question:

If everyone hate Paris Hilton, then why is she a celebrity? Doesn't a celeberity, after all, means someone who is popular and well-liked? Wouldn't it be more accurate to call her "lynch mob victim"?
Nah, they just have to be widely known. Besides, what about that petition to keep her out of jail?
 True_Avery
06-09-2007, 1:40 PM
People love Paris like they love a nice painting in their living room. They like to look at her, but really don't give a damn about her. If we take her away, the people that like looking at her flip out and get angry.

Its the media that loves her, adores her. They love celebrities and people love hearing about celebrities. Just because people love her, however, does not mean we all do. You are seeing the people that hate her or at least dislike her, and the media shows those that love her. Propaganda at its best.
 Simon92
06-09-2007, 2:12 PM
Nah, they just have to be widely known. Besides, what about that petition to keep her out of jail?
There was also a petition to keep her going to jail which at one point over doubled the "keep her out" petition.
 Darth InSidious
06-09-2007, 5:10 PM
Wouldn't it be more accurate to call her "lynch mob victim"?
No.

I haven't got to the US yet.
 Quist
06-09-2007, 6:34 PM
I just like to think my thread caused some kind of cosmic/karmic justice to be brought upon her. :)
 Windu Chi
06-10-2007, 1:26 AM
Then the Sherif lets her out for "mental distress.

Mental distress!
What the hell are they talking about? :lol:
It's jail, mental distress will be your constant companion. :lol:
the Justice System sucks.
The Justice System is corrupt, as the rest of the systems of society.
Money determine Justice in this society.
Some of us honestly do care about what happens around the world.
Not enough of us, True. :)
 Nancy Allen``
06-10-2007, 7:33 AM
I think my feelings over the immature heiress to the Hilton fortune is much the same as everybody else's. I'm a celebraty! someone like Paris Hilton might cry. That's no excuse. I'm married to a celebraty! Honymoon's over. I have the best lawyers money can buy!That isn't going to save you. I'm famous! Now you're more famous. I won't do it again, I promise! Bones, promises, both break. I ain't ready for jail! No one really is. I'm too important to lock up! No you're not. Don't you know who I am?!? Don't care. In short they are not above the law, as much as they might like to think they are.
 Rogue Nine
06-11-2007, 12:20 AM
They're not above the law, no, but how often do they get away with breaking it is the question. I think that that happens far too often. :/
 Mike Windu
06-11-2007, 4:02 AM
As I said in another thread regarding Miss Hilton: oh well. I think we should all come to the point that celebrities committing crimes and getting punished is basically moot.

Is it right? Pft, no. But will it happen? yeah.

I think all the drama surrounding her, and the people that care enough about her to want her to go back to jail, is silly. Time better spent elsewhere, methinks.

There's also a strange amount of hate for someone who has literally done nothing to you. She made money being an heiress and whoring herself out to the media?

You sure you wouldn't have done the same? I'm sure at a billion dollar price tag doing what you can to make that kind of money is very tempting.

So you go, Dalai Lamas of the world. You go and hate Paris Hilton.
 True_Avery
06-11-2007, 5:25 AM
There's also a strange amount of hate for someone who has literally done nothing to you. She made money being an heiress and whoring herself out to the media?

You sure you wouldn't have done the same? I'm sure at a billion dollar price tag doing what you can to make that kind of money is very tempting.

So you go, Dalai Lamas of the world. You go and hate Paris Hilton.

She respresents not only everything I disliked about people in High School, but also things I dislike about humanity. True, she has done nothing to me. But I just don't choose to dislike her in particular, I mostly dislike our media system as a whole. She just happens to be part of that media system, along with all the other rich brats of the world.

Why hate the brats? They are on TV all the time. How is that a problem? At first glance, it does not look like a problem at all. But, as I see it, those rich party celebs who drop boyfriends/girlfriends and children like they are nothing but a bad influence on growing minds. I'm not trying to sound like a paranoid mom here, but the evidence of teens growing up under the ideals and love of these rich, lazy, and snobby celebs is everywhere. The media uses them at things for people to look at and tells them that if they are not as "good" as them, then they are nothing.

I dislike the media and people a lot. Girls stop eating, guys act like gangsters, etc. I am not daring to say this is just this generation. This has been going on far before us, far before America, and is part of any major society. The media creates gender rolls for people, it puts people to a standard, it ruins peoples lives for the sake of money because we are willing to buy a magazine for our joy with a picture in it that is currently making someone wish they were dead.

Why jump onto this bandwagon you ask? I asked myself to. Why do this? The only answer I have found is my instilled dislike of the media. Paris is just one of many idols out there, but her case again shows many points. Celebs are kept out of jail and treated special because of the population of a society. Us. We love them, because the media tells us to love them. The media needs these people to be out and about, or living a drama filled life to get the money rolling. If a celeb goes away for 20 years, nobody hears about them again. If a celeb gets a low sentence and gets out in 45 days, all the dough rolls in. Whether our justice system would like to admit it or not, the media can and does control it when it feels it will work to its advantage. They achieve this through propaganda and have done such for hundreds of years before, even thousands.

This is yet another problem for young minds. Regular people who do crimes and go away do not make it onto the news. Celebrities do. And celebs almost always get a low sentence, so they might possibly see this as the norm. We see celebs saying its great to smoke, drink, party, screw eachother, etc with no consequences to their actions. So, kids think that they can do this as well, look as cool as the TV celebs do, and not get caught or get punished harshly. People die under this state of mind every day, especially in drunk driving incidents.

Again, I dislike the media. The celebs... well, I try not to hate them but still dislike them to a degree, mostly feeling pity for them as the media ruins their lives. Paris Hilton, Britney, and all the other idols and celebs out there are just people who do stupid things. They just happen to end up on TV for it and lose all of their privacy for the rest of their lives. I pity them. I would never want to be them. And for all of this, all of he ruins celebs, ruined growing minds, ruined people... I blame the media.

And who is the media?
We all are.

I am pointing at all of you, all people... including myself. Mike Windu, I am not the Dalai Lama and did not ever claim to be. I hate and dislike people for their faults, and all of those faults I can see in all people including myself. This also applies to what I see in people that is positive. I would be an idiot if I said that I was perfect. But what we are raving about on the news, hating about celebs, loving about celebs, and generally obsessing about is all our fault because by hating it or loving it... we are simply feeding the beast that rules our society. The only possible way to kill it is to ignore it, but that would make life very dull.

This is all speculation on my part and mostly opinion, so please do not think I am stating this all as fact.
 Nancy Allen``
06-11-2007, 7:21 AM
Not just celebrities, the rich, the powerful, those who can afford lawyer who can beat the system even though they know they are guilty.

With why we care so much, on the one hand I don't want to know the bowel movements of Hollywood stars like some others do. Not only don't I go against that level of stalking I'm all against it. On the other hand people like Hilton are meant to be role models for young people, they see her act this way and think it's okay to act like that. Not just the drink driving, all the other things she does like the sex tapes she makes and the like. Her doing these things is an endorsement for them to a lot of girls who are at an impressionable age.

However there is a stigma of trial by media. You want to bring someone down, accuse them of being a pedophile. Even if they can prove they are not the accusation will destroy them because people will think they are. Intensify it with celebrities being broadcast on the news and we are a two pronged assault on them. We cast judgement over their guilt and innocence and we behave like vampires swooping in to suck the blood of a fallen icon, someone we had built up to be perfect then tear down when they're not.
 Darth InSidious
06-11-2007, 10:31 AM
In all seriousness, I don't hate Ms. Hilton. I hate the fact that she is disgustingly wealthy, utterly brainless, if not braindead, and takes up far too much media attention, while geniuses die, penniless, in the Third World, while good people who sacrifice everything die poor, almost unknown, and get a paragraph on page 36 (the first page of anything *other* than Celebrity X in the papers), if they are particularly high profile.

I hate that she squanders the wealth she has on herself and on transitory pleasures while people die. I hate that she can almost escape justice just because she's rich, attractive, semi-famous and thick as two short planks (and less-than-half as useful). I hate that, when it comes right down to it, she doesn't deserve her money, her status, her position, influence and power, but she has it anyway.
 Mike Windu
06-11-2007, 11:42 AM
So basically there is a consensus that Miss Hilton is hated because:

1. She's not the most intelligent person in the world.
2. She doesn't deserve her money.
3. She makes girls skinny.

Wah. She's smarter than you think in that she knows at least how to be a savvy businesswoman (after all, charging half a mil to show up at your party is a pretty nice way to make some money).

She doesn't deserve her money? Maybe not. But she has it. Dislike her if you wish for it. But it won't change the fact that she has it. Boo hoo some guy somewhere with 200+ IQ is living in the shadow of Miss Hilton. We now hate her because she keeps others out of the spotlight? Get serious.

On the topic of the media as a whole: pft. It's Paris Hilton as much as it is any other person in the world who is of note. Is it wrong for the American public to be so infatuated with celebrity life? Who knows.

So far, all I'm hearing is "I hate that she has money. Money money money."

So what.

Now moving away from this digression, does she deserve proper punishment? Of course. Maybe I'm just jaded, but the justice system is always lenient upon those who can afford leniency. Always been that way, always will be that way.

The real question is: are we spending far too much time on this? Yeah. Paris drove drunk and could have killed someone. Wee. Person X over here actually did kill someone. And he wasn't even drunk.
 Windu Chi
06-11-2007, 1:26 PM
Not just celebrities, the rich, the powerful, those who can afford lawyer who can beat the system even though they know they are guilty.
That's why I said, Money determine Justice in this society, Nancy. :)

We cast judgement over their guilt and innocence and we behave like vampires swooping in to suck the blood of a fallen icon, someone we had built up to be perfect then tear down when they're not.
Yes, that seem to be a constant phenomnon now, Nancy.
People stomp on the necks of icons, to make sure they are dead, when they have fallen out the spotlight.

Lots of people get off, on seeing celebrities failed hard.
 JediMaster12
06-11-2007, 1:54 PM
I feel the need to point out a difference between "prison" and "jail." Prison is where the gangbangers who will shank you are housed, and jails are usually smaller facilities filled with people serving small time or awaiting trial. Add the fact that she's a "celebrity" to the equation, and she probably has her own cell in protective custody.
To further clarify, people are placed in jail if they receive a sentence anywhere from 30 days to a year. This is where the people who are covicted of misdemeanors go like DUI's and the like.
Prison is reserved for those who receive a sentence of 1+ years. So like StarWarsPhreak said, it is where gang bangers go, that is if they get convcted of a felony like burglary, robbery, or murder. Prison of course has different levels of security based on the types of people that are being housed there. Good ole Martha Stewart got minimum security or the "country club" setting. Typical for white collar crime. Maximun security is where you get your lifers and death row.
 tk102
06-11-2007, 1:56 PM
Again, I dislike the media...
I blame the media.
And who is the media?
We all are.

Yep. This thread is a form of media. That's why I'm not going post in it.

Oh wait... :doh:
 Mike Windu
06-11-2007, 5:01 PM
Yep. This thread is a form of media. That's why I'm not going post in it.

Oh wait... :doh:

Curse you American Mediaaaa!

*clenches fists* :p
 John Galt
06-12-2007, 1:47 AM
The United States of America was originally founded as a government of laws, and not of men. The idea that anyone should be exempt from punishment simply due to notoriety is something I find morally reprehensible. Likewise, I also think that these people should not be made examples of with overly harsh penalties; they are afforded EQUAL protection under the law. No more. No less. Period.

edited: for retarded two-in-the-morning typos =)
 Totenkopf
06-12-2007, 2:17 AM
Like the theme song of Baretta used to say......."don't do the crime if you can't do the time....don't do it! don't do it!"

I thought it particularly stupid of her to plan some big party to celebrate "getting one over on the system". :rolleyes:
Page: 1 of 1