Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

How many people are having fun here?

Page: 1 of 1
 SilentScope001
05-23-2007, 12:59 PM
I have done some crazy stuff here, but I guess this will top everything else.

How many people are actually having fun in Kavar's Corner? Or how many people have became so stressed out and angry at everyone who disagrees with them that it is no longer is fun?

I like arguing because it is supposed to be fun and entertaining, but somehow, it seems to become much more harder for me to argue here in Kavar's Corner, due to much more heated arguments from both sides of the political spectrum.

This is just me, but my main goal is find out what people believe, and NOT to preach. You cannot convert anyone here to your viewpoint. However, I have a feeling everyone, even me, has forgotten this point and engaged ourselves in a useless quamire. I do fear it has gone a bit too heated in rhetoric, altough this may just be me who's worried.

It was the main reason I made this small RP (http://www.lucasforums.com/showthread.php?t=178532). Prehaps we could have fun arguing if we were not arguing about anything really important.

I am not calling for anything drastic. What I want to know is this: How many people are having fun in Kavar's Corner?
 ChAiNz.2da
05-23-2007, 1:05 PM
I haven't participated yet, but just reading them.. I'd have to say "yeah" I'm having a ball :D

For a debate forum, everyone around here has some pretty level heads and I'm glad to see it hasn't come to phisti-cuffs yet :lol:

There's some highly intelligent people around here and Kavar's Corner I think was just the place to let you guys and gals shine.. has definitely opened my eyes on just HOW (much) informed everyone is around here and it's nice to be part of a community that isn't afraid to read the news and read a book every now and then :xp:

Keep it up gang, as a reader, and perhaps in the future, a 'player'... I'm having a blast either way :D
 SilentScope001
05-23-2007, 1:07 PM
Heh. Never saw it that way. I guess it's just a problem with me. Maybe just a few days away from Kavar's Corner would be good then... (/shrugs)
 Jae Onasi
05-23-2007, 1:19 PM
Well, we're trying to keep it at the friendly discussion level, but if anyone ever takes issue with something, PM one of us mods or use the report post feature and we'll look at it ASAP.

Some of these subjects are very polarizing and it's going to be hard not to get upset about something sometimes. We're trying to keep the atmosphere something along the lines of a bunch of friends sitting around the living room talking about a particular subject. Sure, you may get into a passionate discussion while sharing your viewpoint, but at the end of the day, we're all (hopefully) still going to be friends.
 Prime
05-23-2007, 1:29 PM
If someone finds this place stressful, it is clearly time to leave it for a while. :)
 ChAiNz.2da
05-23-2007, 1:52 PM
If someone finds this place stressful, it is clearly time to leave it for a while. :)
Indeed.

To (badly.. due to my failing memory) quote RedHawke

"Choose your 'battles' wisely"

A debate forum is just that.. debate. Pick a topic(s) that strongly resonates with you as more than likely you're going to be asked for more depth or outright challenged to defend your post. Intend to stick with it if you post in it (common sense and well-being permitting of course).

Posting in every single debate thread is going to stretch you and your limits as you'll probably wind up only participating in this forum. Otherwise you'll be running around to dig up any sources or what-not to back up your claims should be called out in 30+ different threads and in every which way ;)

Yeah, we ALL have an opinion on everything (guilty myself for sure), but it's best sometimes not to voice it if you're not up for having to revisit and reflect. A 'post-n-go' is a no-no for any decent conversation/discussion/debate. I'm sure anyone else participating would appreciate it as well if people wouldn't come and go on a whim just to post their one-liner and leave into the void. It doesn't really add to the discussion, discounts your validity of the subject and will oftentimes completely de-rail the intended topic. Not accusing anyone as I haven't seen it here yet, but it's something to keep in mind for the future posters ;)

But as Jae stated, if anyone is feeling treaded on, don't hesitate to let (preferably someone NOT participating in the debate) know about it. A mod, s-mod, admin or neutral party to voice concerns. Though if it outright disregards the Forum Rules.. well, I'm pretty sure everyone is aware of what happens :devsmoke:
 mimartin
05-23-2007, 2:06 PM
I’m having fun. I find it very interesting the many different takes people have on different discussions. I enjoy reading the passion someone feels for a subject and how their particular belief system affects their judgment and the level of that passion. I find it intriguing how race, religious affiliation, country of origin and many variables make us different, but also makes us the same.

I hope Kavar’s Corner teaches the younger and the older members to respect opposing views. Many on the other side of an issue feel just as passionately about their position as you do your own.

I believe the members and the moderators have done a great job of keeping the discussion informative and respectful.
 Totenkopf
05-23-2007, 3:51 PM
I'd say that this is a much more user friendly environment than the Senate for serious discussions b/c "the man" is usually doing his job in a much more hands on manner in this corner of the forums. I notice, as a result, a lot less evident flaming. Thus KC seems to be a much more hospitable atmosphere for discussing topics that are often polarizing by their very nature. If you find yourself getting stressed out, just ask yourself how important is it really that someone (who you'll likely never meet) isn't amenable to your pov. I mean, do you really care what the guy/gal 3 blocks away (or more) thinks about you? It's like anything else, if you think the topic has gotten too hot for you or is just going nowhere, just walk away, no harm, no foul. Remember, even if you get the last word.....it doesn't mean you've "won" the argument, maybe no one's "listening" anymore.
 Pho3nix
05-23-2007, 4:16 PM
I'm always having fun here. At least when I'm reading Achilles' posts. :)
 Gargoyle King
05-23-2007, 4:20 PM
I like these forums, they allow us to talk to people from any distance about things we are passionate about or debates that may be raging inside our minds. It's a good way to get opinions in my opinion (excuse the pun), but is generally a goods way to pass the time if your bored with not much else to do at a certain given time.
 urluckyday
05-23-2007, 4:23 PM
It's alright...lol...
 Darth InSidious
05-23-2007, 4:26 PM
Oh, yay, arrogance and lack of knowledge in equal quantities!

What's not to like :)
 urluckyday
05-23-2007, 4:38 PM
^I should hope that you're not referring to me...
 Darth InSidious
05-23-2007, 4:47 PM
^No, Kavar's Corner in general.

@urluckyday below: Ehh. What makes you special enough? :xp:
 GarfieldJL
05-23-2007, 4:47 PM
*Shrugs

I've seen a lot worse places, which I won't name by name.

As far as insults and stuff flying, I haven't seen very many here, and the mods actually do something about it.
 urluckyday
05-23-2007, 4:49 PM
^dont talk about your house that way...jk...

@ Darth InSidious
lol, okay...i couldnt really do anything anyway, so if you wanna bash me...be my guest...lol
 Web Rider
05-23-2007, 5:15 PM
I don't really think debating is supposed to be entertaining, but I always tend to have fun as long as all the participants are relativly well educated and the mods/admin don't act like their opinion is law(in relation to the subject, not forum rules).

There's nothing wrong with a heated argument, as long as it doesn't dissolve into mud-slinging or flames. *shrug* maybe I'm just used to more aggressive debates. I dunno.
 Samuel Dravis
05-23-2007, 5:39 PM
I'm having fun. It's always interesting to see many differing views on a topic, regardless of what I think of them. As for getting angry about it, I don't really. I had enough of that in the Senate. :p

SS: if I made you angry, sorry about it.
 True_Avery
05-23-2007, 6:43 PM
I mainly come in and put my input in when I feel like it and read when I feel like it. To be completely honest, I hate Kavar's Corner because it is an area were everything I hate about humanity comes to light in people I try to really like. You'd think that would be enough of a reason not to ever look at it, but I guess not.

The input can be interesting at times. I like to read some of the posts now and then and focus on the ones I disagree or plainly hate and channel that into imagination and then into writing fic chapters to depict people of different opinions. It is really helpful for writing, but not so much for the fact that my faith and trust in humanity and religion has not been very high since the age of around 10.

I hate the place, but enjoy reading now and then for the purpose of trying to understand why people think the way they do. The only threads I refuse to look at are the Gay bashing threads (which is pretty much any thread with a slight mention of Homosexuals) for reasons that are my own.

I'm not going to beat around the bush. By reading many of the posts here I dislike quite a few people because I value the opinion of someone as more of a reflection of their character than nearly anything else. Still love talking to everybody on the forums, but like real life I never really respect them as much.

Makes me really wonder why I ever really look at forums like Kavar's Corner. I guess my curiosity gets the better of me much of the time.

But, as I always say, thats just my opinon :P
 Emperor Devon
05-23-2007, 7:23 PM
You get to argue with people and publicly tear their views to shreds. What's not to like? :P

That side, I find the forum can be quite educational. It's fun to see other people's perspectives on things, and to see if mine are still valid by debating them.

I'd hope everyone who posts here enjoys it. I'm not quite sure why they would if they didn't. :)
 Nancy Allen``
05-23-2007, 11:31 PM
I think this place is much diffirent to an actual debate forum, as the rules are strictly enforced and being able to respect other people is a must, unlike debate forums where you basically do everything in your power to make the people who have diffirent views to you look as dumb as you possibly can.

As for having fun, I like it that we have a place where we can discuss serious topics in a friendly enviroment.
 EnIgmA_XX
05-24-2007, 5:33 PM
Kavar's corner is great! i don't really post here much, but i just like checking through all of the threads and seeing what exactly is going on in our world and seeing what people think about these events. in fact, other than the news on TV (which i watch...sometimes), Kavar's corner is really my only way of figuring out what's going on in the outside world XD. it's great to see lots of diverse people sharing their opinions and views, quite simply because considering i don't really know anything about what's going on "outside" i have a mostly neutral opinions in lots of things like politics. it just helps me understand everything better, see what people believe in, and why they believe it.

Kavar's corner rules! :thmbup1:
 Vaelastraz
05-25-2007, 11:14 AM
Kavars Corner is a very good read. :)
Reading debates (if they're on a high level) is always entertaining. And I learn a lot about debating & rational thinking too which never hurts. So, keep it up, participants! :nod:
 JediMaster12
05-25-2007, 12:48 PM
You get to argue with people and publicly tear their views to shreds. What's not to like?
You do that anyway on a daily basis :D

That side, I find the forum can be quite educational. It's fun to see other people's perspectives on things, and to see if mine are still valid by debating them.
Or you would just learn how to argue from a better angle :xp:

I like Kavar's Corner. It is always interesting to see people who have differing opinions and it is interesting to see why they think as they do. I personally do get a irked at the manner of some posts but I brush it off as the manner in which the person speaks when they get passionate about something. Of course you do learn when to stop the fight because the cinder wall just won't come tumbling down.
 Allronix
05-25-2007, 3:46 PM
Actually, I have to restrain myself a bit. Using time and energy here takes time and energy away from getting up and doing things about what's upsetting me.
 MetalMark
05-25-2007, 4:27 PM
I haven't posted much here but sometimes it's fun. Than there have also been moment where I really hated other persons. Especially in the thread about gay people that couldn't be openly gay if they were in the military. And what other people thought about gay people in the military.
And there also was a thread about religon where I think people would go real mad at me if I said what I wanted to say so I chimed in.
 The Source
05-26-2007, 10:41 AM
I have done some crazy stuff here, but I guess this will top everything else.

How many people are actually having fun in Kavar's Corner? Or how many people have became so stressed out and angry at everyone who disagrees with them that it is no longer is fun?

I like arguing because it is supposed to be fun and entertaining, but somehow, it seems to become much more harder for me to argue here in Kavar's Corner, due to much more heated arguments from both sides of the political spectrum.

This is just me, but my main goal is find out what people believe, and NOT to preach. You cannot convert anyone here to your viewpoint. However, I have a feeling everyone, even me, has forgotten this point and engaged ourselves in a useless quamire. I do fear it has gone a bit too heated in rhetoric, altough this may just be me who's worried.

It was the main reason I made this small RP (http://www.lucasforums.com/showthread.php?t=178532). Prehaps we could have fun arguing if we were not arguing about anything really important.

I am not calling for anything drastic. What I want to know is this: How many people are having fun in Kavar's Corner?
"became so stressed out and angry at everyone who disagrees with them that it is no longer is fun?"
I think this is my perspective about everything LucasForums. Over the last four months, I have been distancing myself from the forums in general. Since I am no longer modding KotOR, I am becoming more aware about what goes on here. Every time I voice an opinion about something, the majority of the forumites try to slam my beliefs and perspective. Adding political and religious threads takes away the focal point of these forums. LucasForums is about Lucas Arts products in general. Many visitors find this location as a place to slam the United States, my religion, or political theology. Personally, they are taking away some of the reasons why I like this place. If I want to talk about politics, I go to a politically driven website. If I want to talk about religion, I would go to a religious based website. If I want to chat with people about Star Wars (or Lucas Arts) games and movies, I go to a forum or site that is geared towards those subjects. This site is slowly becoming something all together hidious. I do not go to a Lucas Arts website, so I can read thread headers that say, "Your religion this, your country that." If this site is slowly becoming a political and religious website, I think you should rename this site to something else. If you people want to come here and talk about Lucas Arts and Star Wars, the name LucasForums fits the concept perfectly.
 Samuel Dravis
05-26-2007, 11:14 AM
It's hardly required that you go to Kavar's or the Senate, and there's plenty of Star Wars talk on the only-SW forums (lots on the offtopic forums too). I'm sorry that not everyone on the internet agrees with your political/religious philosophies, but you know, if you don't post them people won't comment on them.

If you mean that people in general are against them and their own opinions reflect that without any input from you, then I don't know what to say beyond "it's the internet." A great deal of people are young, and a lot of geeks (who make up most of the population on the internet after myspace & co) are not exactly friends with religion. They don't mind showing it, either. If that's bothersome to you, I'd suggest finding sites that are strictly single-topic and allow no user input. Probably hard to find now, with the Web 2.0 frenzy and all...

Lucasforums becoming altogether hideous? LOL! I'm afraid the internet as a whole must be a lvl 5000000 monster to you, then. :D

Myself, I come here for the interaction with the people. I don't necessarily agree or even like some people's opinions that I've heard voiced. Some of them I disagree with totally and believe the polar opposite. However, that's how people are - they don't just become single-topic zombies when they go to a forum like LF (that's too bad though because the zombie part would be cool). I don't really mind people being themselves, here or anywhere else. Better to know where the wasp is in the room, so to speak. ;)

IMO, it's more about how seriously you take people on here than anything. I don't take much seriously at all, IRL or on the internet. If I find myself getting angry, I just take a deep breath and think to myself: "Why the hell am I getting angry about this?" I usually can't come up with a good reason, so I go back to bashing the n00b who thinks consoles are great. :p As you can see, I've lasted quite a while. Perhaps a break might let you get back into it again; I've taken some breaks like that myself. I hope you come back though. :)

I'm afraid I just did it again, didn't I... :o
 Jae Onasi
05-26-2007, 2:17 PM
Source, I love ya like a brother, man, but if you don't want to see the religion/US bashing, don't stop in Kavar's. Kavar's was set up specifically to get the serious threads _out_ of Ahto so it wouldn't bug people there--hang out there instead, or in the Kotor-specific sections. No one has to click on any of the threads anywhere on these forums.

Besides, God's a big God. He can handle the religion bashing and work with it. I wouldn't be surprised if He was a little amused at some of the silly arguments we get into. No one can take your faith from you, certainly not anything said in these threads. So, I don't get _too_ worked up about most of the religious arguments.

US bashing--people can say whatever they want, but unless they can vote in the US and actually exercise that option, it doesn't matter now, does it? It's all just a bunch of pixels on a screen until you actually get into the voting booth and do something constructive.

We're a community of Star Wars fans, but we also have outside interests, and it's natural that we'd want to share discussion of things outside Star Wars with the friends we've gotten to know here. :)

If this place makes people too angry or stressed out, it's best to stay in other parts of the forum, or at least out of the threads that are causing the problems. We moderators are trying to keep things friendly here, though we will have people sharing their views with some level of passion from time to time. We'll deal with that.
 JediAthos
05-30-2007, 11:09 PM
It's interesting to me to see what people think. Having been in the military and exposed to a pretty good cross section of the people in the US I've been exposed to every type of opinion, though provoking comment, or retarded suggestion at one time or another.

There have even been some things said in some of the discussions here that have made me rethink my position on a couple of things. In short I think that this section was a really good idea and I look forward to future discussions.
 EnderWiggin
05-31-2007, 12:08 AM
I'm always having fun here. At least when I'm reading Achilles' posts. :)

Agreed.

I'm a fairly well read person, and most times I read/hear about Kavar's current event discussions before they are posted. I pretty rarely post my opinions, because either they're already being stated, or because R/L is being too overbearing for me to get into a discussion where I need to provide proof to defend my statements. (Although, I am thinking about resurrecting the Global Warming thread...)

Anyway, I find it very interesting to see the political standpoints most of you take. Almost every time I read a thread here, it makes me think about a topic, belief, or idea in a new light, which I find rewarding in itself. And yes, to me the friendly arguments are fun.

I can see how it is possible for some to become very focused on specific close-to-home arguments/discussions. On the other hand, becoming offended by others disagreeing with the viewpoints that are posted or getting angry at others for what they think seems pretty trivial to me. IMHO, there is almost always no malicious intent here, so that helps me take a metaphoric, or sometimes a literal, step back to calm myself if I get bothered. Of course, if this specific sub-forum is too stressful, there are other forums on the LF network that might be more fun.

Of course, flaming is a different story. It is inappropriate and unacceptable for adults (or young adults) to start name calling and insulting others when the purpose of this forum is to educate and discuss current events, viewpoints, and other serious topics in a mature manner.

_EW_
 HerbieZ
05-31-2007, 5:05 PM
I like it but i only post in most threads once because someone will reply to one of mine and they make me just want to stab they're eyes out with spoons. So i retreat. Although mostly, topics have a massive american theme to them so i don't post simply because i don't understand.
 Rabish Bini
06-02-2007, 6:21 AM
Haven't really posted heaps, but reading is fun as there are some great and funny comments. :D
 Nancy Allen``
06-02-2007, 9:02 AM
Funny comments? I'll be sure to remember that when I post then.
 adamqd
06-02-2007, 1:17 PM
I like it but i only post in most threads once because someone will reply to one of mine and they make me just want to stab they're eyes out with spoons. So i retreat.

Me too, I have a hard time reading peoples tones, meanings and sarcasm or whatever, you know, in my head everyones like your opinion = s#!t, but I know there just giving their own view :)
 GarfieldJL
06-02-2007, 4:03 PM
Sometimes I have fun, sometimes I don't, it really depends on how serious I feel the issue in question is.
Page: 1 of 1