Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

A little help...

Page: 1 of 1
 REDJOHNNYMIKE
04-16-2007, 10:29 PM
I'm just curious, would someone mind killing me for a little while?
I can never get very far with my research in the chatbox before people get all creeped out.

Simple question.

Would you kill me?
subquestion(a) why would you?
subquestion(b) Why wouldn't you?
 JediMaster12
04-16-2007, 10:34 PM
First off, why would you even ask that RJM? Is it part of a critique or something. To answer your question, Why would I want to kill you? You've done nothing to deserve it as far as I know.
 REDJOHNNYMIKE
04-16-2007, 10:39 PM
A critique?

Just curious...

Wether or not I have done anything doesn't really seem to matter. I've done many things.

The question remains.
 BruceLee_Reborn
04-16-2007, 10:39 PM
Possibly.

a)if you were threatening my life or the life of someone i cared about, about to bring around the total annihilation of the universe, that kind of thing. or a sith:)

b)I wouldn't for the Bible says "though shall not murder", and because you haven't done any of the previously mentioned evils.
 REDJOHNNYMIKE
04-16-2007, 10:42 PM
Didn't threaten anyone, no dastardly intentions, just standing here, alone with you.
Would you do it?
 Nancy Allen``
04-16-2007, 10:46 PM
Why would we want to? Are you a murder, terrorist, pedophile, anything like that? If not I'd have no reason to be, but if so I would, gladly.
 REDJOHNNYMIKE
04-16-2007, 10:47 PM
I'm not. I'm just here with you, and you have any means to kill me if you so wish.
 Samnmax221
04-16-2007, 10:49 PM
Are you asking to be euthanized?
 REDJOHNNYMIKE
04-16-2007, 10:55 PM
Not exactly, just killed, for no reason, or some reason.
 tk102
04-16-2007, 10:56 PM
I would not kill you. Why? Because there would have to be a great deal of motivation for me to act in such a way. In fact, I intend to never in my life be in such a motivated situation.
 Samnmax221
04-16-2007, 10:56 PM
Uh no thanks....
 REDJOHNNYMIKE
04-16-2007, 10:59 PM
@TK, Why would you need so much motivation? It doesn't take much to pull a trigger, or slip a knife between a couple ribs.
 tk102
04-16-2007, 11:00 PM
Because I value life, especially human life. Yours included.

Even if I didn't, it takes even less effort to do nothing than it does to pull a trigger. Some motivation is required to overcome inertia.
 REDJOHNNYMIKE
04-16-2007, 11:02 PM
What value could it have?

If I was willing to let you kill me, I don't value it.
 tk102
04-16-2007, 11:06 PM
Who else would be around to make a thread like this? Hmm?
 REDJOHNNYMIKE
04-16-2007, 11:10 PM
Well considering that I hadn't seen one made yet, I'd say someone who hasn't arrived yet, or has simply not yet produced the proper motivation.
 Jae Onasi
04-16-2007, 11:18 PM
No, I wouldn't kill you because
a. I'd lose my license to practice if I committed a felony
b. I would look like The Great Pumpkin in those flourescent orange jumpsuits and that would be ridiculous
c. My kids would be given swirlies at school once other kids found out I was singing Jailhouse Rock in the jailhouse, and
c. Cause I like you, and I just am not in the habit of killing people I like.
 tk102
04-16-2007, 11:19 PM
Everyone is certainly capable of murder-- that's given by your premise. But of course just because you're capable of something doesn't mean you necessarily act upon it. Every action has consequences. The consequences of murder are huge. You would be dead. Everyone who knows you would be affected. I would be a murderer -- a tilte I would wear for the rest of my life and I would either get life sentence in prison or the death penalty. Or even if I didn't get caught, I would know forever that I had crossed a line and could never go back. My actions could never be fully repaid. Everything has been lost and nothing has been gained. To ask whether I would willingly shoulder all these consequences without providing any motivation in return... well the answer "no" will just have to suffice. :)
 REDJOHNNYMIKE
04-16-2007, 11:24 PM
You wouldn't be subject to any laws, absolutely no one else would know about it.
In this situation, I would already be on a tight schedule for death, and would even offer forgiveness if it was desired.
 Emperor Devon
04-16-2007, 11:43 PM
Are you still incapable of feeling any pain, being missed by loved ones, and your or anyone else suffering any negative effects from this?

I'd still say no. Even if you or no one else suffers for it, I'd still be violating my own morals.
 REDJOHNNYMIKE
04-16-2007, 11:54 PM
Missed, no. External negative effetcs, no. Any pain would only lie in the method of dispatch. It could be painless or quite excruciating, depending on your motivations. You may use any method you like.
 Dagobahn Eagle
04-17-2007, 12:27 PM
No, I wouldn't kill you. I don't even kill rapists. And quite frankly, this thread scares me.

If you're contemplating suicide in some form or another, I strongly advise you to seek help in the form of a psychologist or even a phone service. I don't know where you live, but there is bound to be some free line you can call. Your local Red Cross will probably maintain one, and there may be a Christian one, too or something.

Grief is a pretty terrible thing, which is why I'm so incredibly strongly opposed to suicide and euthanasia. Not to mention you only live once, and that most or all hardships pass with time.
 SilentScope001
04-17-2007, 12:46 PM
I'm just curious, would someone mind killing me for a little while?
I can never get very far with my research in the chatbox before people get all creeped out.

Gee. You think? :)

Would you kill me?

No.

1. It's against the law. If I kill you, and I get caught, the law will kill me. (Assumption: I wanna live.)
2. Society has brainwashed me to believe that killing people without reason is wrong. (Assumption: I have no reason to kill you.)
3. I waste energy killing you that I could use...well...doing something much more productive. Like watching TV.
 Dagobahn Eagle
04-17-2007, 12:56 PM
subquestion(a) why would you?That, friend, is possibly the best question I've heard all year.
 Jae Onasi
04-17-2007, 1:28 PM
Well RJM, if you were standing in front of me actually asking me to kill you, I'd pull out my cell phone and call 911 to get you into help.

People are getting creeped out because they think you're really wanting to die--you might want to clarify that for all the rest of us readers. ;)

Killing is a fundamental violation of someone's right to live, and it's not my prerogative to take someone else's life. It's an ultimately selfish act--the killer is in essence saying 'your very presence in life offends me'. There are far better ways of handling that situation.
 Jason Skywalker
04-17-2007, 3:32 PM
I don't want to kill you! You make me laugh!
Ok, now really:

Would you kill me? Depends.
subquestion(a) why would you? If you where threatening me with a fire arm or a knife or so, i would try to survive, even if it meant to kill you.
subquestion(b) Why wouldn't you? Because it is wrong.
 mimartin
04-17-2007, 5:01 PM
Simple question.

Would you kill me? No.

I thought of this quote yesterday while listening to the news of what happen at Virginia Tech. It was said by Clint Eastwood’s William Munny in the 1992 movie “Unforgiven.”

“It's a hell of a thing, killin' a man. Take away all he's got, and all he's ever gonna have.”

I don’t know if I’d ever be able to kill someone for any reason. What the point of living if you can’t live with your actions afterward. If it was to protect some I love, then I’d like to believe I could, but no one knows for sure until they’re put in that position.
 Nancy Allen``
04-17-2007, 6:25 PM
I'm going to have to go with what others said and tell you to go find some help. I mean it, if you're going about forums asking the people there if they'd kill you then you need to see a doctor, seek some professional help now.
 Dagobahn Eagle
04-17-2007, 6:27 PM
Next time, specify that you're not suicidal, and talk a little more about why you're researching this subject. It'd help a lot.

To properly answer your question: If you asked me to kill you, it'd heavily depend on scenario. It wouldn't be my job anyway - maybe if I was a doctor I might give you euthanasia if you were mortally ill and in great pain, but other than that, no.
 Hallucination
04-17-2007, 7:42 PM
Would you kill me?Yes.
Because I feel like saying something different than everyone else here.
 JediMaster12
04-17-2007, 8:59 PM
To be honest why would I want to kill anyone? Besides denying someone the right to life, I would have to have a good reason to like if I were in the middle of armed combat or something. As I said before RJM, I wouldn't kill you because you gave me no reason to. Certainly I have the potential to but to me there is no logical and justifiable reason why I should.
 REDJOHNNYMIKE
04-17-2007, 11:33 PM
And quite frankly, this thread scares me.
Why nothing scary is happening to you?
That, friend, is possibly the best question I've heard all year.
And yet I wonder if that is your best answer?
To properly answer your question: If you asked me to kill you, it'd heavily depend on scenario. It wouldn't be my job anyway - maybe if I was a doctor I might give you euthanasia if you were mortally ill and in great pain, but other than that, no.
Why not in any other scenario?

1. It's against the law. If I kill you, and I get caught, the law will kill me. (Assumption: I wanna live.)
2. Society has brainwashed me to believe that killing people without reason is wrong. (Assumption: I have no reason to kill you.)
3. I waste energy killing you that I could use...well...doing something much more productive. Like watching TV.
Again, this encounter will not be held accountable to any legal system or repurcussions.
What is society? Your mind is your own.
Assume that in this instance, you have nothing better to do...
Soon, I will simply cease to exist, until then you have no distractions except the choice. Assume also that you could end my life without effort.

People are getting creeped out because they think you're really wanting to die--you might want to clarify that for all the rest of us readers.
It matters not. If I am suicidal and wanted help I would've asked for it. Therefore you can assume that I am of clear mind and am not taking my own life out of grief or any such reason. Other than that, there is no assurance.
Killing is a fundamental violation of someone's right to live, and it's not my prerogative to take someone else's life. It's an ultimately selfish act--the killer is in essence saying 'your very presence in life offends me'. There are far better ways of handling that situation.
I am freely giving you the choice. You may do whatever you wish.

Would you kill me? Depends.
subquestion(a) why would you? If you where threatening me with a fire arm or a knife or so, i would try to survive, even if it meant to kill you.
subquestion(b) Why wouldn't you? Because it is wrong.
No such attempts or any actions against you or anyone else.
Wrong is a broad word, why?

“It's a hell of a thing, killin' a man. Take away all he's got, and all he's ever gonna have.”

I don’t know if I’d ever be able to kill someone for any reason. What the point of living if you can’t live with your actions afterward. If it was to protect some I love, then I’d like to believe I could, but no one knows for sure until they’re put in that position.
In this situation I have nothing to take away, I will end wether you act or not.
Complete forgiveness is optional.

Because I feel like saying something different than everyone else here.
You would end my life for the sole reason of being unique?

To be honest why would I want to kill anyone? Besides denying someone the right to life, I would have to have a good reason to like if I were in the middle of armed combat or something. As I said before RJM, I wouldn't kill you because you gave me no reason to. Certainly I have the potential to but to me there is no logical and justifiable reason why I should.
I haven't given you a reason not to.
 Hallucination
04-17-2007, 11:42 PM
I'm rather disappointed the one person who said 'yes' didn't get any love in your reply, RJM.:(
Edit: I see I'm not the only one who used the edit button in this thread.

You would end my life for the sole reason of being unique?
I'd and did say that to keep my intent to find out how you would react to someone saying 'yes' a secret. It didn't work.
 REDJOHNNYMIKE
04-17-2007, 11:44 PM
Accidentally hit "post quick reply" instead of Enter new line;)
the chatbox is really hurting my posting skills:lol:
 Hallucination
04-17-2007, 11:51 PM
I know what you mean. Of course, having a keyboard with a broken spacebar doesn't help me, either.
P.S. Look up.
 REDJOHNNYMIKE
04-17-2007, 11:55 PM
Your grammar is barely readable there. But it's not my reaction that matters if that's what you mean, only yours.
 Hallucination
04-18-2007, 12:02 AM
My reaction was to not think about it because it's a morbid and impossible situation, so I decided to see how you would react to someone saying 'yes'.
 REDJOHNNYMIKE
04-18-2007, 12:11 AM
There is nothing impossible. In fact possibility is the only thing possible.
You will take one of two actions...
You will kill me
You will not kill me
You will do one or the other and therefore it is not impossible.
 SilentScope001
04-18-2007, 12:59 AM
Again, this encounter will not be held accountable to any legal system or repurcussions.
What is society? Your mind is your own.
Assume that in this instance, you have nothing better to do...
Soon, I will simply cease to exist, until then you have no distractions except the choice. Assume also that you could end my life without effort.

No punishment? No society and nobody to tell me what to do? And I got nothing BETTER for me to do?

Then it wouldn't be murder at all. You just stripped of all the cool and uncool parts that make murder what it is, that we defined it as. You turned such a horrible act of stabbing and murdering a person into...well...something so dehumanized, so useless that...well...er....

It's like putting a dog to sleep, basically. You inject him with the medication and he dies. No romanticism, no funerals, no arrests, nothing. Just 'population control'. If a person can easily be dispatched in this manner, as you put yourself to me, you have turned yourself into a dog who is ready to put himself to sleep.

And I am of the same species as you. I am too a dog.

Remember that soon, I will simply cease to exist, and this only distraction is this choice? But distractions is what makes life bearable, somewhat. Elimante the distractions, and we elimnate all purpose of living.

I....wouldn't do it. I just can't. Any secret thrill that a man could get for a murder of an innocent person has been destroyed, so in essence, the destruction of the act of 'destruction' would be so terrible. Why should I kill, when you have destroyed the definition of 'killing'?

Instead, I would ask you to go and end my life.
 REDJOHNNYMIKE
04-18-2007, 2:10 AM
I never said murder, I gave you the choice willingly remember? If you consider it murder that is your choice.
Then it wouldn't be murder at all. You just stripped of all the cool and uncool parts that make murder what it is, that we defined it as. You turned such a horrible act of stabbing and murdering a person into...well...something so dehumanized, so useless that...well...er....

It's like putting a dog to sleep, basically. You inject him with the medication and he dies. No romanticism, no funerals, no arrests, nothing. Just 'population control'. If a person can easily be dispatched in this manner, as you put yourself to me, you have turned yourself into a dog who is ready to put himself to sleep.
How does that affect your decision?

And I am of the same species as you. I am too a dog.
An interesting choice of words which opens another door of questions. Unfortunately it is a little to tangental for the moment. Remind me to come back to this...

Remember that soon, I will simply cease to exist, and this only distraction is this choice? But distractions is what makes life bearable, somewhat. Elimante the distractions, and we elimnate all purpose of living.
Maybe we miscommunicated. It would not be long before I would cease to exist, a few minutes, a day maybe, not long. I am not saying you would lose distractions, only that until such time as I meet my unavoidable end you may focus on this choice without external interference. I wouldn't want to take up all your precious time;)

I....wouldn't do it. I just can't. Any secret thrill that a man could get for a murder of an innocent person has been destroyed, so in essence, the destruction of the act of 'destruction' would be so terrible. Why should I kill, when you have destroyed the definition of 'killing'?
I'm confused, "thrill" is a requirement to perform the act? What is the definition of killing that I have destroyed?

Instead, I would ask you to go and end my life.
A very interesting choice? In this scenario, I am incapable of taking any action against you, as per the "no repurcussions" agreement. Why would you come to that conclusion when, after I die of my impendeding cause or your own choice, you will be returned to your normal everyday life. Any reason you have given for not killing me would be a reason for you to live. You could simply not act, wait several minutes until I die naturally and then resume your life.
 EnIgmA_XX
04-18-2007, 5:18 PM
So, wait, i think everyone is getting confused here. do you mean:

1. it's just the person and you, alone.
2. the person has a choice to kill you or do anything, and can mystically generate things such as a gun. as well, killing doesn't take any energy and you don't have anything else to do for the moment, eliminating the "i'd rather spend my energy doing something else" answer.
3. there are no repurcussions to the murder and the person can just proceed with life afterwards, the only real effect being possible guilt.

is that what you mean? this is an awkwardly interesting question. i'm sure that there are some people in the world that would take that chance and kill you, though most wouldn't. people like to uphold their moral codes, and there's just too much guilt involved.

what i think RJM is doing and why i find this thread so interesting is that she (RJM is a she, right?) seems to be probing for the sadistic side of people. i'm sure that many people, or at least some, have some kind of secret "thrill of killing" like how SS001 describes.
 EnderWiggin
04-18-2007, 10:23 PM
What value could it have?

If I was willing to let you kill me, I don't value it.

And when have you been the foremost authority on what is to be valued?
The idea of killing someone, is, to most, the one of the most horrible punishments - not on the pain scale, but on the moral scale. This act takes everything from the punished. It may be that you believe that you dying would allow you to get to your afterlife, whatever that may be, or you may prefer to think that this isn't just a test. Either way, I'm not sadistic or twisted, and I have nothing to gain from killing you.

And you have everything to lose.

No thanks.

_EW_
 REDJOHNNYMIKE
04-18-2007, 10:29 PM
Yes to all three. And if forgiveness would ease the guilt, it would be available, or you could simply choose not to remember.
Why would there be so much guilt? I've done my best to eliminate reasons for you to feel guilty.

I'm not probing any sadistic side, if we encounter someone's sadistic side I'm sure it would be quite interesting though. I'm trying to learn about and help you look closer at the choices you make, and the reasons for making them. Thrill may or may not be had.
(RJM is a she, right?)
I am "Comically Ambiguous"

And when have you been the foremost authority on what is to be valued?
The idea of killing someone, is, to most, the one of the most horrible punishments - not on the pain scale, but on the moral scale. This act takes everything from the punished. It may be that you believe that you dying would allow you to get to your afterlife, whatever that may be, or you may prefer to think that this isn't just a test. Either way, I'm not sadistic or twisted, and I have nothing to gain from killing you.

And you have everything to lose.
I simply meant that I placed no value on myself, and the only value is in your perception. I've said it before...in this situation after a certain amount of time I would simply end, wether you act or not. I'm not missing anything, you wouldn't be taking anything from me.
Why does it require you to be sadistic or twisted?
 EnIgmA_XX
04-18-2007, 10:39 PM
Hm, yes that is a good point. why do people not kill if there are no repurcussions? i think that just by the way we are raised by society, when we are given a choice like this, something just pops in your mind and says "it's wrong, don't do it". even if we were transported to a society that deems it okay, that instinct just kicks in. it's who we are, we don't like killing.

although for the record i do have a semi sadistic side, but very rarely. even then, the feeling never kicks in enough to make a difference in my actions. pls don't tell me to get help, i'm fine and can function decently well in society (not completely well because i'm a quiet nerd). i've always wondered if anyone else was like me, though.
 REDJOHNNYMIKE
04-18-2007, 10:42 PM
If you weren't taught by society that you just shouldn't do it what would your choice be?
 EnIgmA_XX
04-18-2007, 10:48 PM
i don't know. if we're just sitting there, i probably wouldn't do anything. if you were suggesting it, i'd have no society made concience to go on and i'd probably shoot you.
 REDJOHNNYMIKE
04-18-2007, 10:55 PM
If you had no society based conscience, why would you shoot?
 EnIgmA_XX
04-19-2007, 7:35 AM
because there is nothing in my head telling me not to. if you were suggesting it, i'd probably go and pull the trigger with the same calmness and frame of mind as if you were asking me to pour you a cup of water.
 SilentScope001
04-19-2007, 4:03 PM
I never said murder, I gave you the choice willingly remember? If you consider it murder that is your choice.

Alright, alright. My bad.

How does that affect your decision?

Well, you sort of turned the human race upside down. Orignally, humans believe they are instricnctally valuable. You took that away, by standing there, saying, "Well?"

It just takes away value for human life, which is something that would be quite....terrible really. At least with sucide, you are giving the human life value, by saying, "I take it away because I realize that it gives me pain, and I have to get rid of the pain and the misery." You got a reason for killing yourself.

But, nope. You aren't even standing there begging for me to kill you. You just don't care.

An interesting choice of words which opens another door of questions. Unfortunately it is a little to tangental for the moment. Remind me to come back to this...

Okay. I hope to do. :)

Maybe we miscommunicated. It would not be long before I would cease to exist, a few minutes, a day maybe, not long. I am not saying you would lose distractions, only that until such time as I meet my unavoidable end you may focus on this choice without external interference. I wouldn't want to take up all your precious time ;)

Hm. In that case, killing you would be the lesser of evils. It would remove you, and allow me to continue living life with distractions. Prehaps I could feel shame for doing such a deed, and that shame will add meaning to my life, which would give definition for me, which would be better for me in the long run.

Remember, however, that you stripped all meaning of living, and of all social constructs condemning murder. Keep them there, and I wouldn't have done the deed.

I'm confused, "thrill" is a requirement to perform the act? What is the definition of killing that I have destroyed?

Well, it less the definition of killing and more the definition of human being as being something so valuable that it must be protected, otherwise nature would start screaming in pain, oh noes!

By standing there, not caring, you destroyed the social construct of humans being important enough so that our muder is so important, and we lose meaning.

A very interesting choice? In this scenario, I am incapable of taking any action against you, as per the "no repurcussions" agreement. Why would you come to that conclusion when, after I die of my impendeding cause or your own choice, you will be returned to your normal everyday life. Any reason you have given for not killing me would be a reason for you to live. You could simply not act, wait several minutes until I die naturally and then resume your life.

Ithink however that if it didn't matter if you lived or died, prehaps by killing you, I would add in meaning for my life (redeeming myself for my 'sin'), and save countless mintues that I can use in day to day living.
Page: 1 of 1