Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

Is your first playthrough un-modded or modded?

Page: 1 of 1
 Jeff
04-05-2007, 6:55 PM
When you play an rpg for the first time do you go ahead and put all the best mods on to it to get the best experience or do you play it first without any additions as the developers made it?

Generally I've played all my games un-modded at least once. I just like to experience what the game is "meant" to be like, and then after that I add-on all the good stuff for more playthroughs.
 Alkonium
04-05-2007, 7:04 PM
Unmodded at first. And then it's loaded with so many mods you don't even know what it is anymore.
 Jason Skywalker
04-05-2007, 7:23 PM
I usually find the mods AFTER i play it once. :xp:
 Achilles
04-05-2007, 7:56 PM
Depends on what the mod is. Something like Better Bodies/Better Heads for Morrowind is a must. Something that fixes a bug or rebalances an overpowered aspect of gameplay is probably going to thrown in. Something like TSLRP would probably have to wait until I'd played the game unmodded a couple of times.
 Lantzen
04-05-2007, 8:47 PM
I usaly play the game un-modded, often twice. Then i load up on the mods
 stoffe
04-05-2007, 8:54 PM
Mods that fix critical issues causing the game to be unplayable without them (like the Better Bodies/Better Heads mod for Morrowind) will get used all the time. I'll wait until the second play through to use (or make) mods that tweak, extend or modify the game play. The first playthrough tends to give me some idea on what could be improved by mods later. Hard to know that beforehand when you haven't played the game yet. :)
 Jae Onasi
04-05-2007, 9:09 PM
Unmodded unless it's a critical fix or to get rid of those dog-ugly bodies in Morrowind. :) I wouldn't object to reskins, but I wouldn't want to use a mod that changes gameplay until I've played it a few times to know how the game is supposed to go.
 Rogue15
04-05-2007, 9:43 PM
unmodded...then modded but usually not for an RPG, rpg i never mod...cause most rpg i play are on xbox/psx/ds FPSs i mod after i play through once or twice. :)
 stingerhs
04-06-2007, 1:58 AM
i usually play most RPG's completely unmodded unless there's a good reason to go for the mods. the main reason is that most mods are designed to make things easy, and of course, i like to play a game through the way it was meant to be played.

i do like to play with mods on some games, particularly if they add good content or better realism to the gameplay.

when it comes to an FPS, however, things are different. more maps = more fun + more varied gameplay. at least on the multiplayer side. i don't like mods that mess with balance, though. i do, however, like mods that make the weapons behave more realistically. i always hate it when they make a shotgun useful for point-blank range and useless for any range beyond that. most shotguns are still very lethal from 30 or 40 yards out, and that's quite a distance. there's other weapons that often balanced incorrectly compared to real life, but the shotgun is usually the worst. a good mod can adjust for that sort of thing.

anyways, i'm sure you've had enough on my musings when it comes to mods, hehe. ;)
 FiEND_138
04-06-2007, 2:18 AM
The same as above.
 igyman
04-06-2007, 4:40 AM
I never play a game with mods, especially the first time. Sometimes I try a mod or two, but I always end up deleting it very quickly. Mods just ruin it for me.
 Emperor Devon
04-06-2007, 3:39 PM
Unmodded except for bug fixes or essential things. I like seeing the game the way it was intended to be first, and you can't really appreciate mods if you've never gone without them.

After that I usually download and tweak a couple hundred. Half the fun in a game is in tweaking it IMO.
 Commander Obi-Wan
04-06-2007, 3:42 PM

Ditto here, too. Expect, I don't use mods. :xp:
 Jeff
04-06-2007, 4:06 PM
Ditto here, too. Except, I don't use mods. :xp:You don't know what you're missing.
 Arбtoeldar
04-06-2007, 10:34 PM
Unmodded unless it's a critical fix or to get rid of those dog-ugly bodies in Morrowind. :) I wouldn't object to reskins, but I wouldn't want to use a mod that changes gameplay until I've played it a few times to know how the game is supposed to go.

Agreed Oblivion is unplayable IMHO without mods.
 The Source
04-07-2007, 3:03 PM
When you play an rpg for the first time do you go ahead and put all the best mods on to it to get the best experience or do you play it first without any additions as the developers made it?

Generally I've played all my games un-modded at least once. I just like to experience what the game is "meant" to be like, and then after that I add-on all the good stuff for more playthroughs.
When I confront a new RPG, I normally play several games without mods or cheats. Mods and cheats are the furthest on my mind when I play games. If I happen to stumble upon a good mod, I will consider its possible usage in game. Lately, I have been playing NWN 2, and I don't see my self installing any mods. I could walk away from NWN 2 when I am finished, and not bother installing any game enhancements.
 Gargoyle King
04-07-2007, 3:59 PM

I am the same in this respect. I love to see a developer's original intentions behind a game before adding additional mods created by modding communities - the mods then give you a much different experience than the first time around and thus the life of the gameplay experience is extended.
 Mono_Giganto
04-08-2007, 2:59 AM
Usually I play the first playthrough unmodded. Unless, of course, the first playthrough can last over 100 hours, such as in Morrowind, in which case I won't wait to grab something like Better Bodies or Better Heads. I never could stand the sight of those overly segmented horrors. :p
 Balderdash
04-08-2007, 6:12 AM
I only use mods if it's a game I'm really addicted to, and playing over and over. Usually I'm not that bothered about them.
 Ctrl Alt Del
04-08-2007, 9:01 PM
I play it several times before I mod it. My only exception was a mod that changed those confusing menus of Oblivion into something more organized.
Page: 1 of 1