Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

Looking for a good RPG...

Page: 1 of 1
 Vaelastraz
04-05-2007, 3:05 PM
I'm looking for a good RPG, they're just my favourite offline games. Can anyone recommend me something I haven't played alrdy?
Games I've already played:
Kotor I, II
BG I, addon, II
Vampire II
Morrowind, addon, addon
Oblivion
Gothic I, II, III
NWN I, addon
Jade Empire
Arx fatalis

So what can you guys recommend? :) I'm in desperate need of good rpgs...
 stoffe
04-05-2007, 3:26 PM

Neverwinter Nights 2 That's a pretty good CRPG in my opinion. They there still are some bugs they are patching it's nothing too serious. Takes place a few years after the first NWN ends, but has a more coherent and interesting story than the first one, in my opinion.

If you still can get it (it's pretty old) Planescape:Torment is another very good RPG. It's rather weird, but very engrossing and memorable (except the ending). Planescape D&D setting, takes place in the planar city of Sigil and a number of other outer planes. Rather different story than most other RPGs in that you aren't out to save the world, but rather to save yourself. :)

Another old but good game is Deus Ex, though it's more of a FPS/RPG hybrid than a full RPG. It's a bit single-tracked on the dialog front, but other than that often offers multiple ways to solve situations and advance the story, and it has 3 different endings. In some ways it reminds me of VtM:Bloodlines. You're playing as an Anti-Terrorist special agent working for the United Nations Anti-Terrorist Coalition (UNATCO) in a dark near future plagued by depression, plagues, terrorism and unrest, though the story eventually forces you to re-evaluate your loyalties.
 Arбtoeldar
04-06-2007, 10:26 PM
Neverwinter Nights 2 That's a pretty good CRPG in my opinion. They there still are some bugs they are patching it's nothing too serious. Takes place a few years after the first NWN ends, but has a more coherent and interesting story than the first one, in my opinion.

If you still can get it (it's pretty old) Planescape:Torment is another very good RPG. It's rather weird, but very engrossing and memorable (except the ending). Planescape D&D setting, takes place in the planar city of Sigil and a number of other outer planes. Rather different story than most other RPGs in that you aren't out to save the world, but rather to save yourself. :)

Another old but good game is Deus Ex, though it's more of a FPS/RPG hybrid than a full RPG. It's a bit single-tracked on the dialog front, but other than that often offers multiple ways to solve situations and advance the story, and it has 3 different endings. In some ways it reminds me of VtM:Bloodlines. You're playing as an Anti-Terrorist special agent working for the United Nations Anti-Terrorist Coalition (UNATCO) in a dark near future plagued by depression, plagues, terrorism and unrest, though the story eventually forces you to re-evaluate your loyalties.

I'll second both of these games. I also add
Fallout 1 & 2
Icewind Dale series more hack & Slash then party interaction
Vampire: The Masquerade: Redemption
Arcanum

Make sure you patch both pf these games
Temple of Elemental Evil (Fan made patches at Circle of 8)
Vampire: The Masquerade: Bloodlines

System Shock 2 Mix of FPS/RPG
 Rabish Bini
04-07-2007, 7:42 AM
Fable or Fable: The Lost Chapters. Fairly good, for Xbox and PC.
 Rogue15
04-07-2007, 9:58 AM
deus ex 1 and 2
 Gargoyle King
04-07-2007, 11:23 AM
deus ex 1 and 2

Hmm.. The Deus-X series aren't truly RPG's though, more of an FPS with RPG elements intertwined within it.

I'm looking for a good RPG, they're just my favourite offline games. Can anyone recommend me something I haven't played alrdy?
Games I've already played:
Kotor I, II
BG I, addon, II
Vampire II
Morrowind, addon, addon
Oblivion
Gothic I, II, III
NWN I, addon
Jade Empire
Arx fatalis

If your into console gaming, you must have heard of the likes of Final Fantasy, Chrono Trigger/Chrono Cross or Xenogears etc. Basically, Square-Enix are a good company to look out for with RPGs.
 stoffe
04-07-2007, 11:36 AM
Hmm.. The Deus-X series aren't truly RPG's though, more of an FPS with RPG elements intertwined within it.

Depends on what criteria you use to classify a game as an RPG. I'd call the Deus Ex games (the first in particular) RPGs with FPS elements intertwined within it instead. :) Just because a game has a first person perspective interface, and allows you to use guns, doesn't make it an FPS in my opinion. :)

The game takes place in first person mode, and you use guns, but that's there the regular FPS elements end (in particular compared to FPS games at the time Deus Ex was released). The game has an XP/skill system that affects your combat effectiveness, lockpicking/hacking skill, ability to swim/run/ etc. It's strongly story driven though you do often have a choice of how to proceed, and those choices have some consequences, large or small.

The game has several roaming areas where plenty of side quests/missions are available, all non-hostile NPCs have something unique (voiced) to say. I'd say the majority of the missions aren't of the typical "kill everything that moves, then kill everything that doesn't move, then get the key and proceed to the next area" that often is typical of FPS plotlines. Many areas/missions you don't have to kill anything at all to achieve your goal (unless you chose to go in guns blazing). Stealth is an option most of the time. And even if you do choose to take down enemies you have the option to just incapacitate rather than kill them, which has some small consequences earlier in the game.
 Gargoyle King
04-07-2007, 11:55 AM
Depends on what criteria you use to classify a game as an RPG. I'd call the Deus Ex games (the first in particular) RPGs with FPS elements intertwined within it instead. :) Just because a game has a first person perspective interface, and allows you to use guns, doesn't make it an FPS in my opinion. :)

The game takes place in first person mode, and you use guns, but that's there the regular FPS elements end (in particular compared to FPS games at the time Deus Ex was released). The game has an XP/skill system that affects your combat effectiveness, lockpicking/hacking skill, ability to swim/run/ etc. It's strongly story driven though you do often have a choice of how to proceed, and those choices have some consequences, large or small.

The game has several roaming areas where plenty of side quests/missions are available, all non-hostile NPCs have something unique (voiced) to say. I'd say the majority of the missions aren't of the typical "kill everything that moves, then kill everything that doesn't move, then get the key and proceed to the next area" that often is typical of FPS plotlines. Many areas/missions you don't have to kill anything at all to achieve your goal (unless you chose to go in guns blazing). Stealth is an option most of the time. And even if you do choose to take down enemies you have the option to just incapacitate rather than kill them, which has some small consequences earlier in the game.

I see your point; well i suppose most modern RPG's aren't 'truly' RPGs are they? A true RPG would have probably been the original Dungeons and Dragons board game or something along these lines.
 Vaelastraz
04-08-2007, 5:30 AM
Thanks guys!
I think I'll try out Planescape torment. And System Shock.

What's the gameplay like in NWN2? I didn't like the first one, I regret buying it to be honest. It was just not worth it.
 stoffe
04-08-2007, 7:47 AM
Thanks guys!
I think I'll try out Planescape torment. And System Shock.

What's the gameplay like in NWN2? I didn't like the first one, I regret buying it to be honest. It was just not worth it.

Torment is a classic. The graphics are a bit dated by today's standards, but the gameplay and story is better than most other RPGs I've played, even if the weird Planescape setting can take a while to get used to. :)

System Shock 2 is more of a story driven survival horror than a straight RPG, though it has character classes and skill development systems similar to what you usually find in RPGs. Also a bit old, but a classic that manages to frequently scare you and convey a very creepy mood even with the somewhat old graphics. It might be difficult to get hold of nowadays, but if you can it's well worth it (it's roughly contemporary with Half-Life 1).

As for NWN2 the story and gameplay is a lot better than the NWN1 campaign (which felt more like a toolset demo than a commercial game campaign). It's still a D&D game of course, but the story is presented in a much more cinematic way more similar to the KOTOR games than to its own predecessor. If you like Fantasy RPGs I'd give it a try even if you didn't like NWN1.

A true RPG would have probably been the original Dungeons and Dragons board game or something along these lines.

I think that was a strategy war game and not an RPG. :)
 Lantzen
04-08-2007, 10:18 AM
Good choice on Planescape:Torment, you will have a lot of fun with it if you liked Baldurs Gate.

Well, i think they already mention this, but Fallout is also a very good game, it was Fallout that made me start play RPGs
 Commander Obi-Wan
04-08-2007, 12:09 PM
I think you should get an Xbox 360 and get Mass Effect. :p

Though, you can wait for it to come out on PC, but that may take a while.
 Vaelastraz
04-08-2007, 1:46 PM
I would LOVE to play Mass effect, but getting an Xbox 360.. nah.

Fallout? I'm not sure if I know that game, but isn't that in a real time setting? With normal guns and soldiers?
I don't like that kind of scenario, it's either fantasy or science fiction for me.
 Jediphile
04-08-2007, 1:56 PM
Anyone tried The Summoner? It's old now, sure, but the graphics are tolerable if you're used to KotOR, and the interface will seem very similar.

They reuse some stuff way too often, but I kind of did like parts of the plot - there are some genuine surprises along the way and at least a very good explanation for why the bad guys don't just kill you. Some of the background is also interesting IMHO.
 tk102
04-08-2007, 3:16 PM
I would LOVE to play Mass effect, but getting an Xbox 360.. nah.

Fallout? I'm not sure if I know that game, but isn't that in a real time setting? With normal guns and soldiers?
I don't like that kind of scenario, it's either fantasy or science fiction for me.
No, Fallout is not real time. It is turn-based and uses a hexagonal layout system. I liked the character development system (based on GURPS if I remember.) It is an RPG with very good dialog and ambience and a good dose of humor, satire, and pop culture thrown in. (wiki link (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fallout_%28computer_game%29)) It has a gritty post-nuclear setting with some elements of science fiction. It is rated mature for violence and language. The choices you make in the game is reflected at the end-of-the-game summary and how your actions affected the future. Tim Cain, who did VtM Bloodlines was the lead programmer for Fallout. Feargus Urqhardt of Obsidian did Fallout 2 (a very good sequel). I'd recommend these two RPGs.
 Jediphile
04-08-2007, 4:08 PM
Fallout 2 rules supreme if you like Monty Python - lots of references. I'd suggest buying and playing both Fallout 1 and 2. They're excellent games even if they are ancient. Heck, I still play Fallout 2 on occasion.
 Arбtoeldar
04-08-2007, 8:32 PM
One more thing. I noticed that you played Baldur's Gate I, BG I: Tales of the Sword Coast, Balder's Gate II: Shadows of Amn. You must play Throne of Bhaal (Expansion Pack for BGII) to really finish the game.
 Vaelastraz
04-09-2007, 8:21 AM
Wow now I have a lot games on my list. And I thought I've played most RPGs already..

Thanks.
 Arбtoeldar
04-09-2007, 10:13 PM
Wow now I have a lot games on my list. And I thought I've played most RPGs already..

Thanks.
Out of the four Elder Scroll games, my favorite is the second one. The game is called Daggerfall.

http://cgi.ebay.com/The-Elder-Scrolls-Chapter-II-Daggerfall-PC-Games_W0QQitemZ290103522693QQihZ019QQcategoryZ6205) 3QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

The first one Arena is also very good.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=200097269248)
Page: 1 of 1