Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

Mara Jade in Galactic Battlegrounds

Page: 1 of 1
 Mazzic
10-08-2001, 7:13 PM
Hello. I was wondering if any of you knew what Mara Jade's role would be in "GB"?

Will she be a playable character? If so, is she modeled after Shannon Baksa (MJ model)? Is there a place where I can find a screen shot of her?

Thank you for all of your help! Please feel free to email me once you've come across any useful information! jades_fire168@yahoo.com

-Mazzic
 Eets
10-08-2001, 7:16 PM
No screens of her yet, but she will be a placeable unit in the scenario editor, which means she will be playable too. She will not be in any of the campaigns, however.
 Luke Skywalker
10-08-2001, 7:17 PM
I dont think, unless shes in the scenerio editor, shes in the game. sorry:(
 ChrisC3po
10-08-2001, 7:28 PM
Mara also narrates the empire's story.
 Mazzic
10-08-2001, 7:33 PM
Sorry to have to ask such a basic question - but what is a scenario editor?
 Eets
10-08-2001, 7:34 PM
You can create custom maps for either single player or multiplayer. It's really cool!
 Mazzic
10-08-2001, 7:40 PM
Okay, so if she WILL be in the game (thank you all, for confirming this), who will be providing her voiceovers?

If and when a screen shot comes out, or any of you find more info, would you mind emailing the info to me? Well, after today that is.

Thanks for all of your help!

-Mazz
 Luke Skywalker
10-08-2001, 8:35 PM
Oh so thats why he was so interested in MJ, he has a website dedicate to her. I never liked Mara she screwed up everything.:mad:
 Eets
10-08-2001, 8:38 PM
Hey! Don't say that, Mara is AWESOME!
 Luke Skywalker
10-08-2001, 8:40 PM
Yah well if it wasnt for her the rebels would be alot farther ahead in a new hope and the empire strikes back and ROJ.
 DarkTrooper
10-09-2001, 12:23 AM
yeah dont diss Mara she is cool. she is like a bounty hunter specilizing in jedis, she has like 6 lightsabers. If u guyz have played Star Wars: Demolition she is in it on her modified swoop she is one of my fav characters in that game
 General Theros
10-09-2001, 1:05 AM
Darktrooper

Are you sure that isn't Aurra Sing (not sure on that spelling!). She is a pilot of a swoop in that game. Is mara Jade unlockable...or are you mixing the two up?

General Theros
 Hannibal
10-09-2001, 10:23 AM
I read that she'll be in it but she won't be a Jedi neither will Leia.
 Tie Guy
10-09-2001, 4:09 PM
Originally posted by General Theros
Darktrooper

Are you sure that isn't Aurra Sing (not sure on that spelling!). She is a pilot of a swoop in that game. Is mara Jade unlockable...or are you mixing the two up?

General Theros

She's not unloackable, he is mixing her up with Aurra Sing.

as for Mara i the game, i hope she have dual blasters with long range and a bonus verse troops, just like Tanya in RA2.
 Eets
10-09-2001, 4:24 PM
Mara Jade in GB:

is a Toybox unit.
is the Emporer's Hand.
narrates the Empire campaign.

These facts are what I've gathered about her. Please correct me if I'm wrong, Chris.
 Sherack Nhar
10-09-2001, 6:10 PM
And Mara's voiceovers are done by the same person who did Mara's voiceovers in Mysteries of the Sith, judging by the demo.

I don't recall the name of the girl though.
 Wes Janson
10-09-2001, 6:23 PM
I'm no expert on the full version of GB, but I can tell you this about Mara, and her probable role in the game.

Mara has been the Emperor's hand since before A New Hope, and the beginning of Return of the Jedi. She claims that she was one of the dancers (the ugly chick who flirted with Boba Fett maybe?), and was supposed to assasinate Skywalker. She failed, the Emperor disowned her, and Mara held a personal grudge ever since.

What happens after A New Hope is irrelevant, though. The important thing is that she's Emperor Palpatines personal aide during the escapade at Yavin 4, and it makes sense that she tell the story of the Empire's campaign against the Alliance. Having Vader of Palpatine narrate would be too cliched in my opinion.

As for the actress, the same woman who portrayed Mara in the Jedi Knight 2: Mysteries of the Sith expansion pack lends her voice to Mara in GB. How do I know? Well...Both the woman in the expansion pack and in GB sound identical. Plus, it makes damn sense to have the same voice. It's some pretty authentic stuff, and I applaud the director for getting her. I'll look up her name a little bit later.

(SIDE NOTE: I wish that Denis Lawson would make a special cameo in GB [as Wedge Antilles]. He's doing his voice-over for Rogue Leader!!)

Since the same woman from the JK2: MotS expansion is doing Mara in GB, it would also make sense that they will render her based on the MotS Mara model. Hopefully, she will weild a light saber instead of a blaster. She's a Jedi afterall. Hey, if they could do both, then all the better.

(SIDE NOTE: My ultimate Mara model is Sandra Bullock! Don't agree with me, that's fine. But there's no way you can change my mind....)

As for Leia being playable, well, the campaign description for the Alliance on the demo depicts that she crash-lands on a planet and "crawls from the wreckage". Looks like she's playable right from the start. Not to mention Han Solo and Chewbacca in their campaign.

Man, I'm gonna have a REAL good time with the campaign editor.
 Mazzic
10-11-2001, 6:23 PM
Luke Skywalker – Yep, that’s why I’m so obsessed. Did you like the site? It’s currently going through a re-design, by the way. We’ve commissioned Star Wars artist Brandon McKinney (“Essential Guide to Planets and Moons”) to create our new logo. It’ll rock.

Thank you all for the information regarding Mara’s appearance in “Galactic Battles.” I will use it to post a report about MJ’s involvement in the game. If any of you learn anything else, please make sure to let me know!

And sorry Darktrooper, that is Aurra Sing in “SW: Demolition.” But thanks for telling anyway. I appreciate the help.

Hannibal – That Mara will be in “Galactic Battles,” not as a Jedi?

Okay, I am really confused about her role in the game. I understand that she will be narrating it – from the Empire’s standpoint. Correct? Will you actually get to see her, or just hear her? Do you get to play as her, control her, or do anything else that relates to her?

Was she in the demo? Do we know when screenshots of her will be released? Would anyone mind sending some screenshots to me, once they are found?

Thanks for your help, everyone.

Eets’Chula – what is a Toybox unit? Why is the fact that she is the Emperor's Hand have relevance to the game? (besides Wes Janson’s point of her not being such a clichй, and that it would make sense for her to make an appearance.)

By the way, the actress that did the voiceovers for “Mysteries of the Sith” was Heidi Shannon. She was also in TPM game and Force Commander game, but not as Mara Jade. Also as a side note, Edie Mirman did MJ’s voice in “Masters of Terдs Kдsi,” and Samantha Bennett did it for “Return of the Jedi: Radio Drama.”

Does anyone happen to know who Mara Jade was modeled after for both “MotS” and “MoTK”? Know how I can find out, by chance?

Oh, and what exactly do you get to do with the “campaign editor?” Does this apply to Mara?

Well, thanks for all of your help! I hope you will all be able to answer my lengthy questions!

-Mazzic
 Eets
10-11-2001, 6:28 PM
hehe, Heidi Shannon... Shwing!

Anyway... A toybox unit is a hero character such as emporer palpatine or boba fett that is only available through the scenario editor, which means you can place them in a custom map for use in the game.

Mara's being the Emporer's Hand plays a part in Galactic Battlegrounds because she narrates the Galactic Empire's campaign. She's very good, from what I have heard in the demo.

I hope this helps. If you have any more questions, feel free to post!
 Admiral Odin
10-11-2001, 7:48 PM
Originally posted by Mazzic
Oh, and what exactly do you get to do with the “campaign editor?” Does this apply to Mara?
-Mazzic

A campaign editor allows you to create your own campaign. So you could place say a Empire vs Naboo campaign. OR anything you want. Make an epic battle. As to Mara, you will be able to create a caimpaign and if you want you can give her a role in it. Perhaps assissin, or anything else you can imagine. Basically it is a bunch of custom scenarios linked togther. Hope that helps.
 Wes Janson
10-11-2001, 11:44 PM
All right, Mazzic. Here's what I think is going down:

From what I read, Mara Jade will not make an "appearance" during the campaigns as an actual unit (like Darth Vader in the demo). She will, however, brief and debrief you in some, if not all of the Empire's campaign missions.

Why is she narrating? Well, I'm sure that you won't be able to go Rebel-stomping with Darth Vader in every mission. He'll be doing other things, like using his Star Destroyer to chase down the Milennium Falcon. And the Emperor...Well, we all know he's a busy man. The only other recognizable Star Wars character to fill the shoes as a "perminent" hoast (as in one that will be guaranteed to be with you during the whole campaign) would be Mara. And I bet she has lots of naughty little secrets that she'll tell you during your romps over Rebel bodies, yes? ;-)

She will, though, be a selectable unit in the campaign editor. As many other have pointed out, the campaign editor lets you create your own missinos and scinarios. A "Toybox Unit" is a unit that doesn't appear anywhere in the game - only in the editor. The editor can be seen as a "toybox" because you can sculpt any scinario with any unit or structure. And a "Toybox Unit" is a unit that's strictly used in the "Toybox", AKA the Campaign Editor.

From the chat, we learned that a whole slew of characters will be selectable in toybox mode. Lando, Mara, Yoda, Darth Maul, they're all there. Even the Falcon.

So there you go. Game-wise, that's Mara's story.
 General Theros
10-12-2001, 1:25 AM
Wes Janson, I believe you said that you thought Sandra Bullock was your best Mara model. I think I agree with you on that one!! All she needs is MJ's trademark red-gold hair, and I think she would be set!

General Theros
 Hannibal
10-12-2001, 5:29 PM
Originally posted by Mazzic
Hannibal – That Mara will be in “Galactic Battles,” not as a Jedi?

I think I read it in one of Gabers posts on this forum. If not hopefully I dreamed it and it's not true cause it doesn't make sense to me.
 Wes Janson
10-13-2001, 1:09 AM
If Jedi Mara and Jedi Leia aren't in the game, it's not the end of the world. It may be a bummer, but "Ce la vi". Can't have it all. But with this game (Yoda, Lando, Milennium Falcon, Chewbacca, Han Solo, Qui-Gon, and more), we've got plenty to play around with.

Right on, Theros! Sandra is the only woman I envision when I read about Mara in the novels, albeit with red hair. I have a few friends who think I'm crazy. They think that Angie Everheart would make for a more appropriate Mara. I say it's personal preference, and I prefer Sandra.

Hey, Mazzic. You can put THAT on your site. ;-)
 Admiral Odin
10-13-2001, 1:30 AM
I remember seeing somewhere also confirming that they won't be Jedi. However I believe you can edit units so you could make them Jedi if you wanted to.
 Hannibal
10-13-2001, 11:46 AM
Originally posted by Admiral Odin
I remember seeing somewhere also confirming that they won't be Jedi. However I believe you can edit units so you could make them Jedi if you wanted to.

Gaber just said in the chat that we won't be able to edit units.:(
 Luke Skywalker
10-13-2001, 12:40 PM
She is in the scenerio editor. So if you make your own make you will be able to use her in battles. :D
 DS_StarViper
10-13-2001, 12:45 PM
oh and the emperor is actually in the game, not just in scenario editor
 Luke Skywalker
10-13-2001, 12:46 PM
Oh, i didn know that. What are his abilities?
 DS_StarViper
10-13-2001, 12:48 PM
HE is way stronger than a regular master atleast thats what I think
 Luke Skywalker
10-13-2001, 1:33 PM
It would be kinda cool to seem him use his lightning. :D
 DS_StarViper
10-13-2001, 1:36 PM
HE and all sith masters use lightning I think look at empires tech tree
 Wes Janson
10-13-2001, 1:45 PM
About not being able to edit units:

In the chat transcript, it said that you can use "Lando", and "Lando in the Falcon" as examples of sandbox units. What am I getting at? There might be more than one version of the same unit! You might have "Blaster Leia" and "Jedi Leia". "Blaster Mara" and "Jedi Mara".

Keep your fingers crossed.
 Hannibal
10-13-2001, 6:41 PM
Originally posted by Wes Janson
About not being able to edit units:

In the chat transcript, it said that you can use "Lando", and "Lando in the Falcon" as examples of sandbox units. What am I getting at? There might be more than one version of the same unit! You might have "Blaster Leia" and "Jedi Leia". "Blaster Mara" and "Jedi Mara".

Keep your fingers crossed.

Sorry Wes, but Gaber said that Leia and Mara won't be Jedi. Someone also asked him if we'd be able to edit units for our own creations using the editor and he said no for that too. Maybe the questions gave him ideas and he made changes but his answers seemed pretty definite.
 Wes Janson
10-13-2001, 6:50 PM
Well, whatever. That's where the power of Modding comes into play. If they're not Jedi Knights to start with, they will be when we're done with it.
 Mazzic
10-26-2001, 6:14 PM
So, any other Mara news?

Thanks!

-Mazz

When will we find some screen shots of Mara?
 JEDI_MASTA
10-28-2001, 10:43 AM
Originally posted by Wes Janson
Well, whatever. That's where the power of Modding comes into play. If they're not Jedi Knights to start with, they will be when we're done with it.

LISTEN TO MEEEE

nobody has ever cracked tha AOK engine as far as i know

do u really think theyll have any better luck with GB:rolleyes:
Page: 1 of 1