Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

[PC] Jade Empire General Discussion

Page: 1 of 2
 Pavlos
02-20-2007, 10:43 AM
Wow... two CRPGs (this and Neverwinter Nights 2) in under half a year.

I'm wondering who will invest in this game. IGN has already posted their review here (http://uk.pc.ign.com/articles/765/765776p1.html) giving the game 8.6/10; the does review seem somewhat sparse on the negative side, though (too short and two years old).

Thoughts?
 mimartin
02-20-2007, 2:26 PM
I’ve played it many times on Xbox. I find the review very accurate. I was planning on buying it for PC, but I’m having second thoughts now. I do however strongly recommend it if you haven’t played it before. It is fairly short when compared to RPG of today, but it has a very rich story with Bioware usual twist and turns. The interaction between the PC and NPC is very good and for those that like the romance aspect it is covered with Jade Empire. To me it was a very enjoyable game, but it just lacked the replay value of KOTOR or TSL.
 Emperor Devon
02-20-2007, 3:10 PM
Hmm, that's a change. IGN rated it 9.5 when it first came out.

It's been a while since I've played Jade Empire, but I would strongly recommend it. It has your typical BioWare 'save or conquer the world' story, but it's done very well. Like KotOR it has a plot twist, but was better played out in some aspects. It's more of a sudden shock than a revelation. And naturally there are villains with very interesting backstories and motivations, gods intervening in mortal affairs, and sects of assassins who want to kill you.

A relatively minor issue, but I liked how the villains weren't ancient evils who'd been forgotten for centuries. It was a nice change to have ones that were 80 at the most - I think the whole 'ancient enemy of years long past' concept is getting a bit overused.

It's okay in terms of gameplay. Unfortunately it doesn't use KotOR's combat system, but your character's stats will still be more important than how quickly you can mash your keyboard.

The NPCs are good characters, too. Some of the dialogue with one of your party members, the Black Whirlwind, is priceless. BioWare clearly based his character off HK-47 with how much he loves to kill things.

The evil course of the endgame was done very well, in my opinion. It felt just plain eviler than in KotOR or NWN 2, but I won't go into too much depth.

And lastly, the endings are a lot better than NWN 2's. :p
 Negative Sun
02-20-2007, 6:03 PM
I really want JE for PC, ever since it came out on Xbox (which I don't have), so as soon as I can afford it it's mine!

EDIT: Just watched the trailer here (http://jade.bioware.com/specialedition/gallery.html) and it looks absolutely amazing!
 Jae Onasi
02-20-2007, 11:39 PM
That looks very cool. :)
 JoeDoe 2.0
02-21-2007, 12:06 AM
Like some forumites here, I have played it on Xbox. I have to say, it's a very good game, funny, has a little drama, romance, adventure and action. I recommend you to buy, it's worth it. :D
 RedHawke
02-21-2007, 1:23 AM
I will get it and I already know what I want to change as well. ;)
 Pavlos
02-21-2007, 6:26 AM
I will get it and I already know what I want to change as well. ;)

Here's to hoping it has an override folder, eh?
 Emperor Devon
02-21-2007, 10:32 PM
At the BioWare forums, one of the devs said that it uses 2DA files and has a similar modding system to KotOR and NWN. :)
 RedHawke
02-22-2007, 2:43 AM
At the BioWare forums, one of the devs said that it uses 2DA files and has a similar modding system to KotOR and NWN. :)
Yup. ;)

Just need to combine a few of the crystals you find so I won't have to switch them out constantly... also add some points to spend into styles when levelling so I can play around with more than a couple of the styles to see what they are like at higher levels. Oh and got to get more money. :insertevilsmilyhere:

:xp:
 Evil Q
02-22-2007, 5:34 AM
I remember reading before that one of the chief complaints about the Xbox version was that the game was too short. Does anyone know if the PC version will be longer?
 Cygnus Q'ol
02-22-2007, 8:32 AM
It is a very short game, and because it's a fun game, it'll seem even shorter.

The PC version will have a few extras that the Box version doesn't have, but for the most part it will be about the same.

I'm just glad it's comming out on PC so a lot more people can enjoy it.
I love it and I really haven't heard too much negative on it apart from length.

I don't replay as much as KotOR, but when I do go back, I enjoy nonetheless.

Stone Immortal rules !
 Darth333
02-22-2007, 11:48 AM
The PC version will have a few extras that the Box version doesn't have, but for the most part it will be about the same.
So far it seems that those extras will be things like additional fighting styles, weapons and the like. There will be no additions to the storyline.

But it's a good game and I enjoyed a lot. I don't know how bug free the PC version will be but the xbox version was for once well polished with no loose ends. I found that JE had a similar feeling to K1 in its atmosphere and dialogues (imagine K1 in a chinese setting)...maybe the writers were the same (there are also similarities with K2 but you'll see that for yourself when you play it ;) ). My only complain is that it is quite linear and a bit short.

I liked the dialogues and the npcs a lot. There was just the right dose of humor for me.
 Prime
02-22-2007, 11:55 AM
I really need to get around to upgrading my machine. :(
 Negative Sun
02-22-2007, 1:13 PM
I really need to get around to upgrading my machine. :(
I concur!
 Ctrl Alt Del
02-22-2007, 7:28 PM
Finally, I've waited that game for TOO long.

I dont expect it to be as good as Kotor, but maybe (And I know I'll) I'll have a glad surprise.
 Char Ell
02-22-2007, 11:37 PM
I very much look forward to playing Jade Empire: Special Edition when it comes out next week. So far this looks to be the only game I will purchase this year.

The game's publisher, 2K Games, is offering the Rhino Demon transformation style as a bonus for pre-ordering. Check this thread (http://jade.bioware.com/forums/viewtopic.html?topic=549968&forum=108) on the BioWare forums to see if this offer is available in your region of the world and where you would have to pre-order to get it from. If you live in Italy or Poland though you'll get the Rhino Demon style with your game purchase regardless.
I'm wondering who will invest in this game. IGN has already posted their review here giving the game 8.6/10; the does review seem somewhat sparse on the negative side, though (too short and two years old). I think it's rather strange that IGN gave the Xbox version a 9.9 and the PC version got ranked so much lower. I won't know for sure until after I play Jade Empire: SE but I think this apparent disparity may very well demonstrate why I should take game reviews with a grain of salt.

@ Emperor Devon and RedHawke - I would appreciate any JE:SE modding tips you are willing to offer, most especially along the lines of modding tools one can use on JE:SE. :)
 Darth333
02-22-2007, 11:54 PM
@ Emperor Devon and RedHawke - I would appreciate any JE:SE modding tips you are willing to offer, most especially along the lines of modding tools one can use on JE:SE. :)
JE uses the same gff and .2da format as Kotor. Most of the KotOR modding tools available here should work with so you are already at the right place :p In fact I have seen a few mods for the xbox made with those same tools :)
 SpaceAlex
02-23-2007, 12:06 AM
Yeah, i'm planning to buy this game, since i've never played it on the Xbox. That, and i don't want to miss a Bioware game. :D

I think it's rather strange that IGN gave the Xbox version a 9.9 and the PC version got ranked so much lower. I won't know for sure until after I play Jade Empire: SE but I think this apparent disparity may very well demonstrate why I should take game reviews with a grain of salt.

Don't you think it has anything to do with the fact that a different person revewed the game?
 Char Ell
02-23-2007, 10:55 AM
JE uses the same gff and .2da format as Kotor. Most of the KotOR modding tools available here should work with so you are already at the right place :p In fact I have seen a few mods for the xbox made with those same tools :) Ah-ha! Thanks for the info D3. :) I guess that reinforces what Emperor Devon stated. I wasn't thinking KotOR Tool would work with JE:SE but it sounds like that may be the case. I'll just have to try things out and see which tools work.
Don't you think it has anything to do with the fact that a different person revewed the game? Oh yes, I'm sure that fact has a lot to do with it. :D When it comes down to it game reviews are just one person's evaluation of the game based on their own tastes and opinions. That person's view may not correspond with mine at all. In this particular case we know that the IGN reviewer for the Xbox version of JE thought the game much better than the IGN reviewer for the PC version of the game did. At the end of the day it's just different opinions from two different people, despite the fact that both write reviews for IGN. ;)
 Emperor Devon
02-24-2007, 2:59 PM
I wasn't thinking KotOR Tool would work with JE:SE but it sounds like that may be the case. I'll just have to try things out and see which tools work.

We'll put tk to work if it doesn't, anyway. :xp:

When it comes down to it game reviews are just one person's evaluation of the game based on their own tastes and opinions. That person's view may not correspond with mine at all.

In most cases, yes. Graphics play a large role in a lot of reviews, for whatever reason.

Another thing to note is how this game's been out for a while. Most ones ported to other platforms (usually a few months after the initial release) tend to get lower reviews from what I've seen. In fact, I can't recall any games that got an equal or higher score upon being re-released. :)
 Ctrl Alt Del
02-24-2007, 3:30 PM
Don't you think it has anything to do with the fact that a different person revewed the game?

Maybe. There's also the possibilty of the game have remained the same in so many years, or at least, just a fw things changed. They should add a: "If you haven't played Xbox version, add 3.0 points to this review."
 Negative Sun
02-24-2007, 6:13 PM
Here's the Gamespot review (http://uk.gamespot.com/pc/rpg/jadeempire/review.html?om_act=convert&om_clk=tabs) if anyone's interested...
 PazaakPrincess
02-27-2007, 6:03 AM
I've played this on my XBOX and al though I think its a really great game I found it much harder going then Kotor. I finally broke down and bought the strategy guide to help me a bit.

RedHawke I can't wait to see what Mods you could come up with this game, it would tempt me to buy it for the pc.

One thing I would love to see if anyone has the inclination is the ability to have more then one NPC with you, as in Kotor. I think with just one companion you are unfairly matched at times and possibly why I struggled at some points when being attacked by many enemies.

The overwhelming choice of styles and upgrades is also a bit daunting make it hard for a first time player to use their upgrade points wiseley so you end up with a lot of abilities but you're not really proficient in any of them effectively enough.

But Sky makes up for it ;)
 Arбtoeldar
02-27-2007, 3:13 PM
Yup. ;)

Just need to combine a few of the crystals you find so I won't have to switch them out constantly... also add some points to spend into styles when levelling so I can play around with more than a couple of the styles to see what they are like at higher levels. Oh and got to get more money. :insertevilsmilyhere:

:xp:

It would be nice if you released these to the general population. :cool:
 Eiganjo
02-27-2007, 11:18 PM
Yeah, I pre-ordered it. I should have it in a couple of days.:giggle1: I'm so excited. I have never played it before, since my parents won't even let me buy an XBox with my own money. But i have heard a lot of it even before they made it for PC, so I can't wait.
 Trex
02-28-2007, 3:58 AM
One of the things that really bugged me about the xbox version (although i loved it) was the lack of physical character customization. You could only select from six different models and couldn't change the costumes. I know the ability to costume change was something bioware weren't able to finish in time for the release date, so does anyone know if either of these have been improved or included?
 Ghost Down
03-01-2007, 11:07 AM
Hey, I just bought the game and it is awsome! Looks really nice and all.

But I got a question. Do you have some usefull tips on how to use the White Demon style. So far I've been getting my butt kicked while using. It is pretty slow..

- Ghost Down
 JoeDoe 2.0
03-01-2007, 11:13 AM
Try using the heavenly Wave style with it, and when you level up, make the style faster instead of powerfull, then you are ready for some @$$kicking.
 Ztalker
03-03-2007, 10:28 AM
Hmm..

Saw it at the local gameshop, for +/- 40 Euro's, whereas normal games cost about 60. Nice price, i'd say. It even comes with metal casing :)

Going to pick it up in 3 weeks, whe I get my next paycheck...
 Ghost Down
03-04-2007, 11:24 AM
Well, I just finished the game. And I was rather disappointed by the good ending. But maybe that is cause I'm more of an evil guy. Hehe.. There where some interesting plot revelations though.

I'm probably gonna start with a new character tomorrow or so. Curious about the evil ending...

- Ghost Down
 Pavlos
03-04-2007, 12:05 PM
I'm still waiting for my damned copy to arrive...
 Ghost Down
03-04-2007, 12:10 PM
Where did you order it? Cause I did not have the new Rhino Demon Transformation style. Only people who order it at GameStop will receive the new style if I'm correct.

Btw. RedHawke, It has an override folder :D

- Ghost Down
 Ctrl Alt Del
03-04-2007, 6:42 PM
Hehe, so the game is really that short, Ghost Down? Not even 4 days, and you finished the game. Still, I do hope it have an high replay factor (As Bioware games go).
 Char Ell
03-04-2007, 11:20 PM
I'm 12 hours into the game so far but I take my time and check out everything. I'm guessing the game will end up closer to 40 hours of total play time for me.
Btw. RedHawke, It has an override folder :DYeah, it sure does and it's already well used. I counted 3,181 files in my installation's override folder. It's apparent LTI Gray Matter dropped most if not all of the enhanced goodies for the PC version into the override. That's going to make modding a little more... interesting.
 Jae Onasi
03-05-2007, 12:12 AM
I just started my game, too, and have to look all over the place at everything, pick up scrolls, talk to people, etc., etc., etc. I still have to figure out how the combat stuff goes.

I think I'll make a copy of that override folder before dropping mods in just in case something funky happens. :)
 Emperor Devon
03-05-2007, 12:15 AM
So many people getting Jade Empire. I really need to order my copy soon. :p
 Ghost Down
03-05-2007, 12:05 PM
Yeah, I finished it in 12 hours. But then again. I found the fighting to be really easy.

Btw. I found out a way on how to add the Rhino style to the game. (for those who did not preorder it) If you are interested PM me or else I'll post it here if an admin finds it okay..

- Ghost Down
 Prime
03-05-2007, 3:01 PM
How did you find the combat?
 Ghost Down
03-05-2007, 3:19 PM
Some of the moves where a bit repetitive. But nothing bad looking or so. There are also alot of styles that you probably never use. You'll mostly use your Martial style and Storm Dragon/Spirit Thief and the Jade Golem Transformation style - It can kill an strong opponent in 4/5 hits.

- Ghost Down
 PazaakPrincess
03-05-2007, 3:55 PM
I found Spirit Theif the best against the wandering/flying/masked ghosts things, plus it's a great way to keep you're levels up whilst still inflicting some damage :)
 Char Ell
03-06-2007, 12:42 AM
I think I'll make a copy of that override folder before dropping mods in just in case something funky happens. :) You are wise far beyond your 29 years, Jae. ;)
Yeah, I finished it in 12 hours.Great Googulley-Moogulley man! Did you stop and talk to anyone or was your goal simply to complete the game as fast as you could?
How did you find the combat?Well, I can say that I've died a lot more in Jade Empire than I ever did in an entire playthrough of KotOR or TSL. :D Hopefully my cellar-dwelling twitch skills are improving though. ;) After 12+ hours of gameplay I think I'm finally getting the jist of what styles to use against which opponents along with harmonic combos. There are just too many inputs for me to comfortably handle though. Press E to chi-enhance your attacks, F to enter focus mode, et al. In combat you're always facing your selected opponent unless you toggle free combat mode by pressing T so you can run about freely. I find that rather annoying. It's definitely a much different combat style than what I'm used to with the KotOR games but of course I knew that going in and decided to go for it anyway. No regrets, just a different experience than KotOR.
 Ghost Down
03-06-2007, 9:56 AM
I talked to pretty much everyone. And did most of the sidequests..

- Ghost Down
 Char Ell
03-06-2007, 10:34 AM
^^^
Hmmm... Maybe I'm just getting slow in my old age then. ;P
 Jae Onasi
03-06-2007, 11:38 AM
I haven't totally figured out the combat thing, either--I may go back to the start spot and spar a couple more times to 'get it' better.
 Vaelastraz
03-06-2007, 1:38 PM
Today I bought Jade Empire! Installed it first thing after I got home. Deleted all my Kotor safes to get enough space on my PC.

And then I click on "start". *Insert complex dll name here* not found. I get the dll from another PC. I click on start again. *insert weird name here* not found in *insert weird name here*

I took a look on the Dvd box and what do I have to discover? It's for XP only. No windows 2000, which is the OS i have.

I'm really frustrated now - before I install XP (which I will certainly do to play Jade Empire) is there anyone here who knows how to run it with Windows 2000 Professional Edition?
 Ghost Down
03-06-2007, 1:50 PM
Can't you get it to work using Computability mode? Or else make a post at the official forums: http://jade.bioware.com/forums/)

- Ghost Down
 Point Man
03-06-2007, 11:02 PM
You are wise far beyond your 29 years, Jae. ;)

That's because she is well beyond 29 years. Remember the poll results (http://www.lucasforums.com/showthread.php?t=172446)?)
 oldflash
03-07-2007, 10:30 AM
This is a great game. Most I like Kang the Mad and Wild Flower characters.
 Arбtoeldar
03-07-2007, 10:34 AM
That's because she is well beyond 29 years. Remember the poll results (http://www.lucasforums.com/showthread.php?t=172446)?)
I was wondering how much older then Jae I am. So then you both are 2 years younger then me.
Page: 1 of 2