Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

Retexturing Sith Armor in TSL

Page: 1 of 1
 Miltiades
02-01-2007, 2:31 PM
While I have no problems retexturing a Jedi robe or some random armor, retexturing a Sith armor just doesn't want to work.

I've seen a few people who have successfully retextured a Sith armor, but I assume that's for Kotor, because there's a .uti file for it, due to the fact the PC needs to wear one. In TSL, you can't have a Sith uniform in your Inventory AFAIK. The story doesn't ask for it. So a Sith armor .uti file in TSL exist, again AFAIK.

I've tried editing the .mdl file, and tried adding a new row in appearance.2da. None of the two worked.

I hope someone can help me with this.
 Kainzorus Prime
02-01-2007, 2:54 PM
Well, if it's only for testing/retexuting purpose you could edit any exsisting uti file, not even armor, could be armband or some such, and give it disguise property, pointing to sith trooper, and delete uti after reskinning, or completely remake it to new item.
 Miltiades
02-01-2007, 3:15 PM
It's not for testing purpose. But I tried what you told me to do, it didn't work. I'm not sure if I did it right, could you explain how exactly to do that?

And if this is only for testing purposes, do you know another method?
 glovemaster
02-01-2007, 3:37 PM
Do you intend to retexture all the sith armours in the game or do you intend to create a new type of sith armour?
 Miltiades
02-01-2007, 3:49 PM
Yeah, a new type of Sith armor.
 glovemaster
02-01-2007, 3:54 PM
have you assembled your *binary* .mdl files? The actual armour itself...
 Miltiades
02-01-2007, 4:01 PM
I've extracted n_sithsoldier.mdl and .mdx, which is the model of the soldier, not the armor. But I've got no clue where to find the .mdl file for the armor...
 glovemaster
02-01-2007, 4:05 PM
to be honest i think the sith soldiers are the armour, you will need to edit the name of the texture that is currently applyed to the armour and then you will need to create your new texture to suit that name: eg. change the applyed texture name to "new_sith_armour.tga" and then create that file. but i got to go now i need sleep
 Miltiades
02-01-2007, 4:16 PM
I've already tried editing the .mdl file, the problem with that is that I don't know what exactly to change in it. There's "N_SithSoldier" in there, and "N_SithSoldier03", but not the "N_SithSoldier01" I was searching for.
 m16965
02-02-2007, 3:44 AM
I think the best way to do it is to create a new Apperance.2da. You can use the sith model as a base but specify a new texture.
 Miltiades
02-02-2007, 9:25 AM
You mean creating a new row in Appearance.2da? I've done that already, but got no result. You don't think the baremetal texture (or how it's called) has something to do with it, do you?
 oldflash
02-02-2007, 10:13 AM
SithSoldier is a full model (body and head in one model files) so easy part to make that armor available is to use desguise function. If you want to create a new armor class you need to get rid of helmet from that model.
For sithsoldier armor with unique texture you will need to create a new entry in appearance.2da, create a .uti file with disguise function to that new entry and few minor changes in binary model file (to attrib new texture to model).
Maybe there is a more easy way to do all this but I can't see one right now.
 Miltiades
02-02-2007, 10:45 AM
Okay. I don't need to get rid of the helmet, because I only want to retexture the whole uniform, that's it. I don't want to create a new armor type, just a uniform for Sith Soldiers who look different from the standard uniform. I know I said otherwise a few posts back, but that's because I misinterpreted the question.

About the .uti file, how do I refer to the new entry in appearance.2da? I don't think Tag or TemplateResref have anything to do with that, do they?

And I'm not sure what to do with the model file. As I have said in a previous post, I don't know what to change, if it's N_SithSoldier or N_SithSoldier03, or have I extracted the wrong model file?
 glovemaster
02-02-2007, 11:03 AM
I dont think i matters which sith soldier you use, there all the same i suppose, ill have a look through aswell
 oldflash
02-02-2007, 11:04 AM
Okay. I don't need to get rid of the helmet, because I only want to retexture the whole uniform, that's it. I don't want to create a new armor type, just a uniform for Sith Soldiers who look different from the standard uniform. I know I said otherwise a few posts back, but that's because I misinterpreted the question.

About the .uti file, how do I refer to the new entry in appearance.2da? I don't think Tag or TemplateResref have anything to do with that, do they?

And I'm not sure what to do with the model file. As I have said in a previous post, I don't know what to change, if it's N_SithSoldier or N_SithSoldier03, or have I extracted the wrong model file?

Let me do some research (I don't have the game on this mashine). I need to see what model and texture files are used and also I will come with a screenshot (s) of .uti file in order to use diguise.

Tag and templateresref need to be unique (for example: tag=myarmor templateresref=myarmor). You can use same name for tag and templateresref but you need to be sure there is no other object with same tag or resref.
 glovemaster
02-02-2007, 11:08 AM
I only want to retexture the whole uniform, that's it. I don't want to create a new armor type, just a uniform for Sith Soldiers who look different from the standard uniform.

Right then, extract n_sithsoldier03 and basically change it to how you want (re-colour or whatever...) and place the finished texture (.TGA) in the override. And it should change all the common sith soldiers uniform in the game to what ever you've changed it to, btw the sith soldiers model will stay the same.
 oldflash
02-02-2007, 11:12 AM
I belive he want to use same model but unique texture and since the sithsoldier is a full model I don`t know if texturevariation is working. I will do research and come back tomorrow with details.
 glovemaster
02-02-2007, 11:14 AM
If you dont want to change the helmet, its difficult. your going to have to find out what area of the texture is for the helmet. I'll take a look at that too.
 Miltiades
02-02-2007, 11:35 AM
I belive he want to use same model but unique texture and since the sithsoldier is a full model I don`t know if texturevariation is working.

Exaclty what I want.

Anyway, thank you guys, I truly appreciate your help.
 glovemaster
02-02-2007, 11:38 AM
well your basically changing the n_sithsoldier03 file to suit you, but do you want to change the apperance of the sith soldiers eg. to look like stormtroopers or something?
 Miltiades
02-02-2007, 1:13 PM
No, I guess that would require remodelling, and besides, I think there are already mods which transform Sith Soldiers into Stormtroopers or Clone troopers. I just want to give the Sith Uniforms another color, nothing too special.
 glovemaster
02-02-2007, 2:54 PM
Well yes, you basically change the n_sithsoldier03 texture to the new type (recoloured, or whatever...) and place it in the override. no models etc. are required, only the texture.

I think there are already mods which transform Sith Soldiers into Stormtroopers or Clone troopers.

I was using that as an example...
 oldflash
02-03-2007, 3:44 AM
So, there is a single model for sithsoldier and 3 texture files
model name:n_sithsoldier (.mdl and .mdx)
textures: n_sithsoldier01.tpc, n_sithsoldier02.tpc n_sithsoldier03.tpc
For override use: n_sithsoldier01.tga and n_sithsoldier01.txi which contain

envmaptexture CM_Baremetal
xbox_downsample 256

Also there are 3 entrys on appearance.2da: rows 28, 44 and 261 (http://oldflash.125mb.com/sits/01.html)
The easy way to create a armor is to modify a existed .uti
So pick (doubleclick on) g_a_clothes01.uti (http://oldflash.125mb.com/sits/02.html) from BIFs=>templates.bif=>blueprint, Item[/url] (use KotorTool for that) and make all adjustments to look like this. (http://oldflash.125mb.com/sits/03.html)
Next, go to Properties tab and doubleclick on "user limitation".
Select "Disguise" for "Property Name" and "Sith_Soldier_03" for "Subtype (appearance)" (http://oldflash.125mb.com/sits/04.html)
Hit update than save under my_armor01.uti name.
Put my_armor01.uti and edited n_sithsoldier03.tga in override. Also you need an iconfile with name ia_cloths_101.tga (ia_disguise_001.tga is original icon for sith soldier armor)
Note: I use "Basic Clothing" for Base Item to be sure there is no restriction for forcepowers and no limits for max dexterity used for defence. Base defese is 1 but could be increased to 12.
It's good to set "4" for Body Variation if you want to use upgrades designed for heavy armors.
Textures Variation gives you the number used for icon.

That was the easy way. The way to use a existed entry in appearance.2da
If you want to make a unique texture (other than existed) just create a new entry on appearance.2da with same content as row 261. Rename "row label" to get a consecutive number, replace "N_SithSoldier03" with "N_SithSoldier04" in "racetex" column and save appearance.2da in override folder.
Set KotorTool to "Look in Game's Override folder for 2DA files" (Tools menu=>options=>tab "Other"), make .uti file like I told you before except that you should sellect last name (should be "Sith_Soldier_03") from the roll-down list for "Subtype (Apperatance)"
Also, beside icon file you need a texture n_sithsoldier04.tga in override folder (which will be unique).
If I'm wrong or if it is another easy way please correct me.
 Miltiades
02-03-2007, 7:46 AM
Thank you so much for that. Besides the fact that I didn't know how to make the .uti file, I changed the wrong column in appearance.2da. I now know it's racetex I have to change.

It worked, thanks oldflash, and all the others helping me with this.
Page: 1 of 1