Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

Has Anyone Gotten Vista Yet?

Page: 1 of 1
 Q
01-28-2007, 6:40 AM
If you have, what are your likes and dislikes? I also know that some of you (Astro) have been beta-testing it for quite some time and I'd like to read any and all of your opinions on this subject such as:

Descriptions of new features

Stability

Ease of use

Pros and cons in comparison to XP

Backward compatibility with old programs/games

System requirements -I've read that it can be used on machines that are quite old -is this true?

And last but not least: get it now or wait?

Be as long-winded and opinionated as you like: I'll read it all!:)
 Commander Obi-Wan
01-28-2007, 11:48 AM
Windows Vista isn't available till January 30th (the complete versions) for my city, at least.

But, I don't know if I am going to get it, umless it is necessary for work. But, any opinions would be nice to hear, just in case.
 stingerhs
01-28-2007, 11:51 PM
i won't be getting Vista for some time to come, but hopefully, i'll be able to splurge for the Ultimate Edition. if not, Home Premium will work just fine. :)

however, i will admit that i'm considering running a duel boot with Linux and Vista Basic. Linux for most of my applications and then Vista for whatever Linux can't run. the problem is that Vista Basic is exactly that: basic essentials, and that part has me a bit concerned.
 Negative Sun
01-29-2007, 2:39 PM
That resource/memory hogging thing that won't run properly until it's been patched a few times?

I think I'll pass for now...
 Char Ell
01-30-2007, 9:40 AM
System requirements -I've read that it can be used on machines that are quite old -is this true?:lol: IMHO whomever wrote that must have been smoking some serious ganja. :nod: Since when has Microsoft ever made an OS that worked well on "old" machines? I see no reason why Vista will break the mold. ;) Sure, Vista may run on older machines but when it comes to running applications good luck. You'll likely need to invest in some h/w upgrades to get your apps to run OK on Vista.
And last but not least: get it now or wait? I'm waiting for about a year. Unless you have a compelling personal reason to buy Vista right now it's quite easy to say the best course is to wait a while.
 Darth333
01-30-2007, 3:42 PM
I was just reading an interesting 20 page Vista review that has been released today...the only problem is that it is in French :( Anyway, for those who can read this language, here is the link (http://www.clubic.com/article-66145-1-microsoft-windows-vista-rtm-dossier.html) (surely some English sites must have published equivalent reviews as well but I didn't checked) . It discusses about everything, including the installation process to compatibility issues, the file system, backups, security, the included applications, and a comparison of the different versions.

There seem to be lots of good things, especially in terms of security. However, at this time there are still several software and hardware compatibility issues. Several applications including various Norton apps, partition magic and games using the starforce protection won't run. There are some hardware issues as well (per example, at this time, there are no drivers for the Creative sound cards.)

As for the 64bytes edition, it seems that only Microsoft signed drivers can be installed with this version???

As for the system requirements, you can find them in English here: http://www.microsoft.com/windows/products/windowsvista/editions/systemrequirements.mspx)
(forget about the min. specs, is seems that Vista can't run well with 512 MB of RAM ).

I'm going to wait at least several months before switching to Vista. I don't see the point of switching now. None of the new features is a must have for me and from what I've been reading, inconveniences > advantages for me at this time, mostly due to compatibility issues.

Edit: tom's hardware has some benchmarks: Tom's hardware benchmarks: http://www.tomshardware.com/2007/01/29/xp-vs-vista/index.html)
 Astrotoy7
02-01-2007, 1:05 PM
Ive been beta testing in Vista for media center and SLI since pre beta 2 so I know how far the thing has come along. I am now running 2 rigs on Vista Ultimate, with RTM build 6000 thanks to a TechNet subscription I share :D

I only recommend you upgrade ONLY if you need to. Eventually, DX10 games will hit the streets and those lucky and rich enough to have DX10 hardware will need Vista to have a crack at it. The other reason to upgrade now is for media center users/builders.

For anyone else?? Im sure Vista has benefits for developers and business level users, but for the average user, playing some games, surfin the net, doing some word processing etc., you really should just wait til you buy/build a new pc and have vista on that.

There are many different ways of getting vista, including the 'express upgrade', full retail(mulitlicense) or much cheaper OEM(single instance) varieties. I recommend oem for system builders, easily 1/3 the price of retail price.

You always hear the whinging about compatability etc. Put it this way - if you really want to give it a try, PLEASE research your components compatibility with Vista. It really isnt MS fault that your motherbaord manufacturer havent released driver upgrades since 2004 :p etc. Check your device manager(or use everest etc), get on the maufacturers sites and see what their vista support is.

For those curious, service pack1(which includes expansions rather than just fixes) in due in July-ish :)

If you go and pay $100s, then install vista and find your printer isnt supported etc, its no ones fault but your own for not researching it properly.

What I can comment on(in much detail if need be) Is vista media center. A marked improvement on its 2005 predecessor. Theyve finally fixed all the tagging and media art stuff, allow you to display video and ripped dvd libraries with cover art(after some minor reg tweaking of course)

rolled in is the .net 3.0 programmability support, which have already produced some great plugins and apps for VMC.

another thing that I cant stop raving about is windows live TV. Still in beta(under project name orbit) Ive been having a play and its amazing. It has messenger, Live Call and live spaces rolled into the media center interface.

http://ads.msn.com/ads/pronws/ideas/en/us/EN_SS_TVskin1.jpg)

heres a little demo video from orbit (http://wlfortv.spaces.live.com/), showing you what its all about. I simply love it ! I just cant wait to be using its full features from my 40" LCD in the lounge. If you have many friends/relatives that are interstate and overseas, something like this is a great way to organise and access them all from the comfort of your lounge on your big TV :D

Another thing Im sortve enthused about is the upcoming windows home server(currently called project quattro). Based on stripped down 2003 server, its entire aim is to promote centralisation of digital media in the home. Its aimed to be able to be managed by average users. There will be different ways to use and access Windows Home Server, though companies like HP are offering snazzy pre-made systems..I quite like the look of their MediaSmart Server (http://h71036.www7.hp.com/hho/cache/447351-0-0-225-121.html)
http://h71036.www7.hp.com/hho/images/B1server.jpg)

Im mainly referring to my media center exeperience in Vista - but Im throughly impressed. If you do the media center thang, you wont regret the upgrade(just research your components before you do!!)

mtfbwya
 grievous797
02-04-2007, 11:01 AM
This is insane... 400 bucks for a cheap rip off of the mac OS... I swear I am not buying vista in the coming future im happy with XP...
 Astrotoy7
02-06-2007, 8:15 PM
This is insane... 400 bucks for a cheap rip off of the mac OS... I swear I am not buying vista in the coming future im happy with XP...

I havent seen tablet pc compatibility or media center functionality in the mac....(front row and appleTV dont even come close)

in any event, your silly to buy a retail upgrade version, where you can get an OEM at a PC hardware suppliers for $150USD (thats for Vista ultimate - cheaper for the others)

as I said above, only upgrade if you need to :D

mtfbwya
 Q
02-07-2007, 5:46 PM
you can get an OEM at a PC hardware suppliers for $150USD (thats for Vista ultimate - cheaper for the others)
Holy crap! $150USD for Ultimate?! PLEASE post a link! :emodanc:
 CSI
02-07-2007, 7:37 PM
^And that's for Upgrade Only. For Newegg, I found 119 dollars, Windows Vista Ultimate Edition, for New PC only.

Well, I ordered a Vista Ultimate, and it's on the way.
 stingerhs
02-07-2007, 10:12 PM
its $199 for both the 32-bit and 64-bit full versions of Vista Ulitmate (OEM) @ NewEgg.com. ;)

i'm actually considering getting Vista Ultimate that way and getting some Certification Books for it so i can learn all the ins and outs of it. that way, i would hopefully be able to get a new job over the summer doing something that is much more preferable to what i'm doing now.

decisions, decisions....
 Johnpp
02-08-2007, 6:10 AM
I dont think we will get Vista. With 5 computors and a server it's not worth that much when we have XP. If we want an even better computor, we will get a Xbox 360.
 Astrotoy7
02-08-2007, 1:16 PM
its $199 for both the 32-bit and 64-bit full versions of Vista Ulitmate (OEM) @ NewEgg.com. ;)

i'm actually considering getting Vista Ultimate that way and getting some Certification Books for it so i can learn all the ins and outs of it....

how will your Linux based soul handle that stinger ! :p

mtfbwya
Page: 1 of 1