Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

Listening and editing KotOR I & II Audio

Page: 1 of 1
 BlazeHoliday
01-24-2007, 12:57 PM
Decided to get back into modding. I'm starting clean this time and reading up and learning all I can... While remembering practice makes perfect!

My noobish question is:

What program is best to listen to KotOR I & II audio files?

and/or

Editing them?

I tried WMP and Quicktime to listen, but no dice. I'm pretty sure Cool Edit pro or somthing similiar will edit them. But long story short I'd like to see what the vets here are using! Thx for your time!

-Blaze :twogun:
 Arбtoeldar
01-24-2007, 1:11 PM
Decided to get back into modding. I'm starting clean this time and reading up and learning all I can... While remembering practice makes perfect!

My noobish question is:

What program is best to listen to KotOR I & II audio files?

and/or

Editing them?

I tried WMP and Quicktime to listen, but no dice. I'm pretty sure Cool Edit pro or somthing similiar will edit them. But long story short I'd like to see what the vets here are using! Thx for your time!

-Blaze :twogun:

You can listen to the audio using the Miles Sound Studio (http://www.radgametools.com/mssdown.htm). I am assuming that you can edit the files with something like Audacity (http://audacity.sourceforge.net/)
 SithRevan
01-24-2007, 1:24 PM
I think you can also edit them with a program called goldwave. Anyway good luck.;)
 m16965
01-24-2007, 4:07 PM
Yes, all of those can edit KotOR files, but for the Audacity, i think you need to convert to Mp3 format.
 BlazeHoliday
01-24-2007, 5:17 PM
This tutorial seemed to be little help:
http://www.lucasforums.com/showthread.php?t=172250)

I dl'd goldwave, no dice.
I dl'd audicity, no dice.

But the miles sound studio plays some of the music files. I will post more when I find more! thx for the help thus far guy/gals!

Blaze
 Kainzorus Prime
01-24-2007, 6:05 PM
Search Wavepad in google, it should work for converting.(after using Miles tool for decompression)
 BlazeHoliday
01-24-2007, 6:15 PM
Search Wavepad in google, it should work for converting.(after using Miles tool for decompression)

I keep getting this error when trying to decompress with miles tool

Error
No codec found for requested input type.

any clues?
 SithRevan
01-24-2007, 7:49 PM
I get the same exact error. I don't think they have updated that program in a while so I do not know if it will work for what you want. The only thing that I can recommend besides what I did recommend up in my first post is something a little more advanced like Sony's soundforge product. That should be able to handle the compression so you can edit it. That is if you can get a trial download of it. Anyway good luck.;)
 Master Zionosis
01-24-2007, 8:10 PM
Well, i use Nero's wave editor as it supports kotor's music file's (including VO's), and can export them into other files like .wma, .mp3 and .wav's that can be played in media player. You can download a trail of it, try searching for it, it will come up.

-Master Zionosis
 BlazeHoliday
01-24-2007, 8:16 PM
Well, i use Nero's wave editor as it supports kotor's music file's (including VO's), and can export them into other files like .wma, .mp3 and .wav's that can be played in media player. You can download a trail of it, try searching for it, it will come up.

-Master Zionosis

you hit the nail on the head brah! I didn't try sony's soundforge only because i have the nero suite already installed and it worked! So from here on out inform all who ask:

Nero's Wave Editor to listen/edit all kotor audio files! Man, i'm in luv!

Thx again to everyone for their kind advice and helpful manners!

Blaze :twogun:
 Master Zionosis
01-24-2007, 9:05 PM
Your welcome :)
 DreadWizardDM
01-27-2007, 1:14 PM
you hit the nail on the head brah! I didn't try sony's soundforge only because i have the nero suite already installed and it worked! So from here on out inform all who ask:

Nero's Wave Editor to listen/edit all kotor audio files! Man, i'm in luv!

Thx again to everyone for their kind advice and helpful manners!

Blaze :twogun:

Hmm I have been trying to change the music in the game also and have tried Nero but had no luck. It seems (correct me if im wrong) the files are AC3 format types? I downloaded nero 7 ultra, is this the right program to use?

Essentially I want to have the game kick into some Godsmack in a cantina, or some theme from Excalibur when battling on the Leviathan.. or whatever else comes to mind lol.
 BlazeHoliday
01-27-2007, 1:32 PM
Nero 7 ultra edition has 'Nero Wave Editor' included. It can listen/edit all sound files. And no they are not AC3, they are high compressed .wav files I believe. But you can put a .mp3 in place of the .wav file as long as it has the same file name and you remove the old one and it should play while in game. It just hits the mp3 in place of the old wav.

hope that helps abit.
 Master Zionosis
01-27-2007, 1:54 PM
Yes Nero wave editor can edit and save to a different format but the application i use is within Nero as the audio encoder, this can load up every track in you kotor directory and convert all of them to a different format.
 DreadWizardDM
01-27-2007, 4:25 PM
Nero 7 ultra edition has 'Nero Wave Editor' included. It can listen/edit all sound files. And no they are not AC3, they are high compressed .wav files I believe. But you can put a .mp3 in place of the .wav file as long as it has the same file name and you remove the old one and it should play while in game. It just hits the mp3 in place of the old wav.

hope that helps abit.

Dont know why i was thinking of AC3 heh.. anyways I have been fiddling with the wave editor and it keeps giving me an error message whenever I try and open a file.

The version I have is not registered *COUGH COUGH*.. but I dont see how that would make a difference?
 Master Zionosis
01-27-2007, 4:42 PM
Dont know why i was thinking of AC3 heh.. anyways I have been fiddling with the wave editor and it keeps giving me an error message whenever I try and open a file.

The version I have is not registered *COUGH COUGH*.. but I dont see how that would make a difference?

Well i have never had this problem, but if that is failing you, try using Nero's audio encoder, this can load up every track in you kotor directory and convert all of them to a different format.
Page: 1 of 1