Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

Texture variation on disquises?

Page: 1 of 1
 Prime
01-23-2007, 11:09 AM
Haven't had a chance to try this yet, but can you specify an alternate texture in a .uti that is marked as a disquise? For example, if I have a disquise that turns the character into a Republic soldier (via the appearance.2da row number), can I specify that a different texture be used like other items do?
 Ghost Down
01-23-2007, 12:38 PM
Yes, I think so. Colja did it with several of his disguises..

- Ghost Down
 m16965
01-23-2007, 2:07 PM
Yes i think you can. I have not tried it either but, i would do it with a GFF editor to specify the appearance.2da.
 Darkkender
01-24-2007, 1:18 AM
Actually you can Prime I started a thread about it recently. However the drawback is anytime you enter a new module you become headless. In order for it to work you have to set the Headmodel as -1, **** leaves you headless. Now I've been working on a resource work around for the community that enables modders to use the disguise effect without having headless model problems on module load. In order to do this I've been playing with a patcher resource to patch the on_enter script for an area module.
 Prime
01-25-2007, 10:37 PM
Do I have it right that using the mdlops renamer to change the texture a head model uses will cause problems with the animations when the model is rewritten? I seem to remember something about that...
 Darkkender
01-25-2007, 11:43 PM
Do I have it right that using the mdlops renamer to change the texture a head model uses will cause problems with the animations when the model is rewritten? I seem to remember something about that...

The problem with using the renamer is there are a couple of texture references that need to remain the same. The tendancy is of course to rename all of the texture references. At least this seems to be the case with K1 heads K2 heads seem to be fine with it frequently. Whenever I rename textures in head models I frequently rename them and test them one at a time to make certain I'm renaming the right one. However the plus side is in K2 the heads.2da file excepts overriding textures that only works part of the time in K1.
 Prime
01-25-2007, 11:57 PM
Interesting.

Alas, changing the main texture for the republic soldier head messes it up. What do you mean bu overriding only working part of the time for the heads.2da in K1? Is it only for the player head DS transitions? Does the headtexg column do anything?

Never mucked about much with player heads before. :) Thanks man!
 Darkkender
01-26-2007, 12:49 AM
Interesting.

Alas, changing the main texture for the republic soldier head messes it up. What do you mean bu overriding only working part of the time for the heads.2da in K1? Is it only for the player head DS transitions? Does the headtexg column do anything?

Never mucked about much with player heads before. :) Thanks man!

Well either I'm confused or I confused you. Are you changing the republic soldier heads texture in the mdl file directly? If so you might have changed the wrong reference in the head model as there is 2 entries I believe that should not be changed in the mdl as they will mess things up. I just can't recall which references they are.

Okay as to the texture overriding. In K1 we had to change the texture references in the model directly if we were creating a new head. While K1 slightly supported changing textures in heads.2da from the darkside transition fields. In K2 you can do this directly from heads.2da no matter what texture field the game reads the texture from the 2da instead of the model. Now the Texg columns I thought did work in K1 however I don't recall K2 having the TexG columns or if it does they do they don't work in K2.
 Prime
01-26-2007, 1:32 AM
Are you changing the republic soldier heads texture in the mdl file directly? Yep. I created a new head in heads.2da using a renamed rep soldier model (rep_soldier is original model, mine is copied and renamed to rep_soldier_c). I took the rep_soldier_c model and tried to point it to a my new texture. No such luck so far.

If so you might have changed the wrong reference in the head model as there is 2 entries I believe that should not be changed in the mdl as they will mess things up. I just can't recall which references they are.All I did was change the head texture (e.g. head=N_repsoldH to head=N_repsoldH_c). I figured it would be straightforward as it has always been, and assumed that changing that field wouldn't give me grief, but I was wrong. :)
 Darkkender
01-27-2007, 12:18 AM
I guess I'm baffled then as to why it's doing it to you Prime.
 Prime
01-27-2007, 11:17 PM
Yeah, it's pretty wierd, and the first time I've seen such a thing.

Thanks though. :)
 Darth InSidious
01-28-2007, 9:30 AM
I believe in K2 there are also a couple of 'headtexg' fields in appearance.2da . They may also be in K1, too. Perhaps both these and the ones in heads.2da must correspond to create a result?
 Prime
01-29-2007, 11:12 AM
Right now the only entry for the republic soldier head is just to point to the model. All the texture application info seems to be from the model itself. I'm not sure if this can be overriden using the heads.2da. It appears that the other fields for K1 only deal with darkside transitions...
 tygaran
07-22-2007, 12:42 PM
Right now the only entry for the republic soldier head is just to point to the model. All the texture application info seems to be from the model itself. I'm not sure if this can be overriden using the heads.2da. It appears that the other fields for K1 only deal with darkside transitions...

One thing that might help with new heads not using your own texture...

Wwhile working on my own new heads, I ended up hexediting the mdl file to point to my new texture. But I had to make sure the new textute filename was the same length as the original texture. For example, in my Juhani Pack, I used a PC asian head which I retextured. I could not use the filename "P_JuhaniH" as it was longer then the file reference in the asian head, "PFHA01". Chaning the model and texture names to "p_juhh" allowed it to work.
Page: 1 of 1