Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

Help with Visas Appearance editing

Page: 1 of 1
 spyblade
01-10-2007, 9:11 PM
I have been trying to replace the appearances of some of the NPCs. I ran into a problem when I changed visas appearance. I changed her head model and texture to Bastila. I created a new line based on one of the female pc lines in appearance.2da, heads.2da, and portraits.2da and redirected Visas .utc file to them. When I recruited Visas (now Bastila-looking) her head would not show the masks that I equipped her with. I tried the same appearance line on Mira and recruited her, just to check, and it worked fine. Masks appeared on her as they would normally. Are the masks visibility some how hardcoded into the game, did I do something (or didn't do something) wrong. The first time I noticed this was when I tried to change Visas appearance with KSE, and it did the same thing -- I just thought it was a side affect of editing a NPC post-recruitment. If any one knows how to fix this, has a theory, or even just let me know that I'm not alone in my frustrations, that would be excellent.

Thanks
 Master Zionosis
01-11-2007, 12:24 AM
Well, i think it is because, bastilla does not play a major role in tsl, the model of bastilla in the game's data .bif was just used as a dummy for the carth scene at the end of the game, it wasn't fitted with the clothes, mask's or other options stuff like that so that might be why,, stupid obsidian, they do so much wrong, first they do stuff like this and then they even realese an incompleate game, arggg. but sorry im rambling. lol
 m16965
01-11-2007, 12:25 AM
Are the textures in the .2da right OR it may be that you need to include the .mdl and .mdx.
 Kitty Kitty
01-11-2007, 6:16 AM
Hmm.. No.

I've gone through and done the same thing, but given Visas several different heads -including Mira's (before she's part of the party) and female player heads that aren't being used.

Masks still won't show up on her.

I would guess there must be some sort of script or something that fires when certain NPCs/creatures are spawned that checks to see if they're "valid" for the display of headgear (and probably other items as well), but try as I might I haven't been able to find anything yet.

If it's not a script, then I have no idea. I certainly can't find anything in any of the 2da or UTC files that should be doing it.

-Kitt
 svцsh
01-11-2007, 8:04 AM
Mask only show on heads that have either the goggle hook or mask hook dummy in the model.

You can try to use Taina's replacer tool to insert one but I've never tried on a head, only moved verts and edited uv cords. Head editing is still very limited since we can't use mdlops to compile heads and retain animations. It's all we have to work with.

Since the devs where so lazy it seems odd to me they would remove Bastila's mask hook from her k1 head, then again they removed the alpha channel on the Mandalorian's texture so you never know.

svцsh
 stoffe
01-11-2007, 8:06 AM
If any one knows how to fix this, has a theory, or even just let me know that I'm not alone in my frustrations, that would be excellent.

You are not alone in your frustration, but unfortunately I don't know of a way to fix it, so I can only confirm it. :) I've noticed this earlier too, and it does not seem to be tied to the character model used, or use of savegame editors or anything like that.

If you create a (non-partymember) NPC and give it Visas appearance type then masks, helmets and visors will be visible in-game if equipped on the NPC. While for Party Member Visas (using the exact same appearance type) they will always be hidden for some reason.

I have yet been unable to figure out what it is that causes this. It cannot be tied to the appearance type, and visas UTC template does not seem to contain any extra fields that have anything to do with displaying/hiding headgear that I can find either. And there are no scripting commands that could cause something like this to happen.

So my unqualified guess is it's probably either hardcoded for any creature occupying Visas party table slot, or buried in some obscure 2DA file somewhere.
 Kitty Kitty
01-11-2007, 8:45 AM
Mask only show on heads that have either the goggle hook or mask hook dummy in the model.
Indeed, but read up. That's not the case here, as I tested it with valid player heads as well to verify. Same effect, so it isn't anything to do with the head model, but something to do with the fact that it's Visas (regardless what model we use).

So my unqualified guess is it's probably either hardcoded for any creature occupying Visas party table slot, or buried in some obscure 2DA file somewhere.

I've sifted through tons of 2da's and come up with nada so far. Of course, it not being anywhere I can see in appearance, heads, or portraits certainly leaves one to wonder. :lol:

We could test the idea of the party slot being somehow hard-coded if someone feels like knocking together a quick mod to say switch Atton and Visas (or Visas and any other party member we know to display headgear for that matter).

At least that'd narrow down another aspect of what the heck we're looking for. ;)

-Kitt
 stoffe
01-11-2007, 9:46 AM
I've sifted through tons of 2da's and come up with nada so far.
(snip)
We could test the idea of the party slot being somehow hard-coded if someone feels like knocking together a quick mod to say switch Atton and Visas (or Visas and any other party member we know to display headgear for that matter).

I have done so now, and it turns out things are even more peculiar than I guessed above. Apparently the party slot didn't have anything to do with it at all, Visas remained headgear-less even when put in another party member's slot, and other party members keep theirs shown if put in her slot.

I did however discover that it is tied to the creature's Tag. An NPC given the tag "visasmarr" will have their headgear turn invisible, while party-Visas headgear will show up if I change her tag to something else. :roleyess:

If it's hardcoded, or if that tag is referred to somewhere else remains to see though. I'd guess it is hardcoded since Obsidian have been pretty happy to do that with other things in the game, but that's just my wild guess. :)
 Kitty Kitty
01-11-2007, 10:35 AM
As odd a decision as that feels to me (I'd never do it that way), I'd have to agree it's gotta be something hard-coded if you're sure it can't be scripted. I'll keep digging through the 2da's and anything else I can think of, but I've pretty much exausted everything except scripts with no source (which there's a buch containing 'visasmarr') and the exe.

Bloody strange though. You'd really think functions like that (basic appearance changes and such) would be a lot more accessable. Or at least, that's what my brain keeps saying anyways. :)

-Kitt
 deathdisco
01-13-2007, 12:00 AM
Not sure if this is related, but I have a custom recruit that replaces HK-47(using the tag "HK47"). At the appropriate level-ups I get the dialog pop-up the the NPC received the Assasin protocol feats. When I check the characters feats they are not there, probably since the NPC's race is human. So there is probably something to the idea that these "quirks" are hard-coded in relation to the NPC's Tag.
 spyblade
01-14-2007, 6:34 PM
Thanks for replying. I pre-apologize for the possibly noobish questions, but is it possible to write a script that could change the tag of an NPC? or have Visas use a different tag without rewriting all of the scripts that apply to her? Could she use both tags? ...maybe too much work just for aesthetics
 stoffe
01-15-2007, 7:56 AM
Thanks for replying. I pre-apologize for the possibly noobish questions, but is it possible to write a script that could change the tag of an NPC? or have Visas use a different tag without rewriting all of the scripts that apply to her? Could she use both tags? ...maybe too much work just for aesthetics

I would not recommend changing Visas' tag, since it's used in many scripts that does something with Visas or checks for her. It is also used to set the Speaker for any dialog interjections where Visas says something.

It's possible to change, but you'd need to modify quite a few scripts and dialog files to do so. Not worth the effort in my opinion. :)
 Jolly Boots
01-30-2007, 5:47 PM
So I assume that if the tag is changed then the NPC (or whoever) wears the headgear and is visible? And if I also understand correctly, it's impossible for headgear to be placed on a model with the head attached to the body (Hanharr, Sion, Nihilus, etc.) Correct?
Page: 1 of 1