Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

Do you want More Armor types?

Page: 1 of 1
 Darkkender
12-24-2006, 4:35 PM
One of the common requests that many of us modders shoot down is creating new armor types because of a limited number of body model slots. Generally if we have ever tried to expand this we have used the disguise item property for our new armor at the expense of having to hide the characters head.

However I believe I have found the trick to this little dilemma the community has always had. Simply creating a new appearance entry and setting the headmodel to "-1" will allow you to effectively expand the number of armors available to a player. The drawback is that you likely will have to have 2 different lines one for male and one for female characters as there selection of armors expand.

Tested on other partymembers as well as main PC and both work fine.

*NOTES*
There is one seriouc drawback and that is that the player must unequip and re-equip the armor each time they enter a new area. Many players will not like this.

For those who are considering this for a mod consider also the option of working with the module load scripts to unequip then re-equip the armor for the player. However the drawback here is of course alot of scripting.

I hope this information comes in handy for some of you modders out there.
 Darth InSidious
12-24-2006, 10:14 PM
This sounds very promising...I might try this out when I have some time...Good thinking and kudos as always, Darkkender!
 SithRevan
12-24-2006, 10:38 PM
Hmmmmmmmm... This sounds extremely promising. I think that it might just work. I might even try it myself. Good thinking Darkkender!:thumbsup:
 Lit Ridl
12-25-2006, 12:33 AM
Darkkender is famous theoretic :thumbsup:
I hope that it'll work....
Although having -1 in normalhead column is not really cool because there'll be no head...
Anyway it is very promising.
 Master Kavar
12-25-2006, 2:22 AM
This would come in very handy for those of us (ME!) who have just accepted that we couldn't have our cake and eat it too. If you can find a way around this limitation, you would be opening the door on a whole new slew of mods.
 SithRevan
12-25-2006, 3:15 AM
This would come in very handy for those of us (ME!) who have just accepted that we couldn't have our cake and eat it too. If you can find a way around this limitation, you would be opening the door on a whole new slew of mods.

I agree with Master Kavar. This would be a huge break through and something that you could definatly be proud of.
 lactose_
12-25-2006, 4:29 AM
Genius! I always had to rely on the disguise item too, now I can just have 2 more lines in appearance for each gender.

How did you find this out?
 Darkkender
12-25-2006, 12:20 PM
I've always suspected there had to be some way to work around this problem. The first drawback I've discovered is each time you enter a new module area you have to take off the armor and put it back on as you do become headless. The reason is likely close to what Lit Ridl mentioned above. When an area loads it reads the data in the 2da file from left to right just like english is wrote. so when it hits the head column with a -1 it loads nothing. However once your in the module you can go in your inventory take the armor off put it back on and your head will have returned.

I had to leave for christmas dinner yesterday before testing it on other partymembers so no results on that yet.
 Darth InSidious
12-25-2006, 5:26 PM
Still very interesting...

Perhaps with an OnUserDefine event and some inventive scripting this problem could be solved?
 Darkkender
12-25-2006, 5:35 PM
Still very interesting...

Perhaps with an OnUserDefine event and some inventive scripting this problem could be solved?

This my thinking exactley. I already have plans to try doing something of this nature in the new Plugin.
 Darth InSidious
12-25-2006, 5:39 PM
The problem, as I see it, is applying it universally...Especially to the PC.

With the CNPC's, you can edit their .utcs, but the PC doesn't have a set .utc...Unless you change the k_hen_onuserdefine (is that the one?) script to a #include etc...?

Look forward to more news :)
 Darkkender
12-25-2006, 7:27 PM
I'm not sure how to handle it yet. I'm going to try a few different methods and see what works best.
 Darth InSidious
12-25-2006, 8:43 PM
Sounds interesting, nonetheless :)
 Lit Ridl
12-26-2006, 12:55 AM
Actually, if you finish your game emergency, you gets Player's .utc file.
Just try to finish game with ctrl+alt+del, and you'll see three new folders in your KotOR II root directory. You need CurrentGame folder, look for pc.utc there.

Every module has it's own OnUserDefined script, I think that this scritp was made specialy to handle with PC's actions. But it works on everyone...
 lactose_
12-26-2006, 10:29 AM
Interesting...

I found another drawback though. When you scroll through your party members in the Character (?) screen - the one which shows your alignment - the person wearing the clothes will always have his/her head replaced by the person just before.
 Darkkender
12-26-2006, 1:17 PM
That or it will be headless. The reason you get the person just before is because of the games usage of alternate heads. So this means there are numerous issues to work through to get this to work properly. I might try entering "-2" in the alternate head column and see if this works.

I'm also diving back into uti editing and seeing if I can't force a scripted event into it. However I have my doubts as to the success of this action.
 ABCoLD
12-28-2006, 5:50 PM
Keep up your work on this, this sounds quite promising.
Page: 1 of 1