Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

Force Powers dependency

Page: 1 of 1
 wasa7
11-06-2006, 10:10 AM
Hello all, I don't know if this had been asked before but here it is:

Is there a way to break Force Powers dependency from the spells.2da file? What I want is to be able to use Force Push, Whirldwind and Wave whenever I want even if I am level 20. As a rpg player, I would like during a fight to Force Push an enemie, then to Whirldwind another without Force Waving everyone in the room.

I would like to do the same with some other Force Powers like Force Shock, Lightning and Storm, to be able to use the 3 of them when I see fit.

I've been trying to do it by erasing prerequisite field in some of these Force Powers but when I go to the game nothing is changed. Is it possible at all? Would it be necessary to start a new game? Thank you all in advance!
 darthrevanrlz
11-06-2006, 10:37 AM
Eh, was working on something similar before leaving for Europe 3 months ago.

Nothing complicated, really.

Just change the value in offensive/passive collumn. Basically will give the FPs a new "family" and therefore a new line in the fp screen.

Oh, and if I were you, I'd leave the prereqs. If just for roleplaying value. ;)

Oh, and if you want to expand the "divided" fps (ie: I added a force push to the solo lightning upgrade), do *not* create new fp trees since enemies won't have access to them. Not much of an issue for TSL since enemies barely use fps, but it can make a huge difference in KOTOR1.
 wasa7
11-06-2006, 11:03 AM
Hey thank you for the quick answer Darthrevanrlz!
Just change the value in offensive/passive collumn. Basically will give the FPs a new "family" and therefore a new line in the fp screen.
Ok, got it! I'll do this and see if it works. Just a couple of questions...

1.-There is a goodevil collumn and there are some forcehostile, forcefriendly and forcepassive collumns. To wich collums do I have to change the values?
2.-Would it change the descripction (the description you read in game when you select it from the powers tab?, default key "k") or behaviour of the Force Power?
3.-To wich value do I have to change the current value? Do I switch the value between offensive and the passive collumns?

Oh, and if you want to expand the "divided" fps (ie: I added a force push to the solo lightning upgrade), do *not* create new fp trees since enemies won't have access to them. Not much of an issue for TSL since enemies barely use fps, but it can make a huge difference in KOTOR1.
This I'm not so sure to understand it. How is that you added Force Push to the solo Lightning upgrade?
 stoffe
11-06-2006, 12:31 PM
There are three groups columns governing this, if I remember correctly:

forcefriendly/forcehostile - These two columns do the same thing, but friendly is for self-targeted powers (which you pick at the box at the lower edge of the screen) and hostile is for enemy-targeted powers (selected in the box under an enemy's name when selected). The numbers here group powers together into a family: all powers with the same number their relevant column belong to the same family.

pips - This is used to determine the ordering of the powers, i.e. what tier a particular power is within the family. Values range from 1 to 3, where 3 is the highest/rightmost one.

forcepriority - This is also used to determine the ordering/tier of powers within a family. I don't remember the difference between this and the pips column. Values range from 0 to 2. Might be that one handles the graphical presentation and one handles the override order, but I'm not sure.

Powers with higher priority automatically replace those with lower priority in the same family in the user interface. To decouple powers from their "family ties" and make them independent you should give each tier a unique number in the forcehostile (for targeted) or forcefriendly (for self/party) column, and change the pipe value to 3 and forcepriority value to 0.
 wasa7
11-06-2006, 1:44 PM
Hello Stoffe! I managed to do the changes and it worked! At first it didn't because of the pips and forcepriotity columns, but then I read what you said just above and voila!, everything worked just fine!

For those who read this, for breaking Force Power tiers, you have to:

1.-Change the forcefriendly/forcehostile columns: What is writen in these columns are the order of how Force Powers appear on the user interface. Also, Force Powers with the same number belong to the same tier (ie: Force Push, Whirldwind and Wave, all with 6 on the forcehostile column. Change the 6 in Whirldwind and Wave for another number to detach them from the tier).

If you want the Force Powers to appear in order (meaning that Force Whirldwind and Wave will not appear at the end of the Force Power list but right under Force Push), you have to edit all Force Power numbers so they follow in numeric order (i.e. Force Whirldwind and Wave will now be 7 and 8 respectively, you will also have to change Drain Life to be 9 wich was originally 7 and Death Field to 10, and so on...)

2.-In the Pips column, change all the edited Force Power's value to 1 (I believe you made a mistake Stoffe, as 3 is the highest, we want the edited powers to be 1, the lowest or leftmost in the user interface).

3.-In the forcepriority column what I did was to change all edited Force Power's values to 0, meaning that they are the lowes power of a tier.

That's what I did and it worked! This won't change any Force Power Behaviour, or the description in the user interface, it just will rearrange the power in independant tiers and most importantly, to use the lower tier Force Powers at the end of the game at the same time you can use the higher tier Force Power of the same tier or family. Thank you all again for the help!
Page: 1 of 1