Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

Anoying Problem

Page: 1 of 1
 wasa7
10-28-2006, 5:40 PM
Hello all. I have an extrange problem with some custom made lightsabers. I have no skill making new sabers at all so I took some good looking models from other mods (This is for personal use only). What I am doing is to give their own lightsaber to the main char, Bastila, Juhani and Jolee. I gave blue lightsabers to the main char and Juhani, one different for each other.

Everything seemed to work fine, all lightsabers work fine, but when main char enters the Grove, where Juhani is the first time we players meet her, the appearance of the main char lightsaber changes into Juhani's saber. It also happens when Juhani is in the party and they enter into a new area. To correct this while in the game, I just have to unarm the main char and give him again his weapon. What's causing this? More important, how can I correct it?
 Darth Trylan
10-28-2006, 5:43 PM
its probably just a glitch in the game. i dont think its something to worry about. its happened to me on kotor 2 when i had a custom mask. it game it to my opponent. it didnt do anything to my game
 wasa7
10-28-2006, 8:14 PM
Hello there Darth Trylan, how are things going? Yes is a glintch, but an anoying one. I wonder is there is a way to stop that from happening? I'm really picky about details and everytime I move from one area to another, I have to unnequip both Juhani and main char lightsabers and equip them again in order to correct it. So, any ideas?
 stoffe
10-28-2006, 8:22 PM
How do you give the new lightsabers to those characters? Directly in their UTC templates, or via scripts?

Do those sabers MDL files have the same model name internally (but different file names)?
 T7nowhere
10-28-2006, 9:23 PM
Do those sabers MDL files have the same model name internally (but different file names)?

@wasa7 It sounds to me like the .mdl files have the same aurora base name. Simply changing the the file name is not enough you need to hex edit the model and change all the references to the aurorabase(original model name) to something unique. Not doing this will cause the same problems that your having.

The way I understand it, is that every time you load a new module the game will look for the model that belongs to the model name that is being used in the uti. However it doesn't look for the models name as as lightsaber001.mdl but rather it looks for just lightsaber001, when it finds lightsaber001 thats what is loaded and instead of the model file you intended it to load which is lightsaber001.mdl.

The odd thing about this is when you equipe a lightsaber uti or any model uti the game will look for the model lightsaber001.mdl and not just lightsaber001.

I hope that makes sence ;) .
 wasa7
10-29-2006, 2:22 AM
I hope that makes sence ;) .

Hello Stoffe, and T7.

@ T7: It does make sence, kinda... I just though something like that, that it had something to do with the .mdl or .mdx files because those are the only files that I haven't change. The thing is that I don't know how to. I will look for some tutorial about how to merge these files so I can use both sabers without having the problem I mentioned before. In the meanwhile, can it be done or do I have to live with it?

@ Stoffe: I put the sabers into the .uti files of some chars but mostly I give them to my chars via KSE. For instance, main char gets his saber when completing the second Jedi trial, at the Jedi Enclave. He gets a crystal from Master Dorak. What I did was get crystal, save, went to KSE and changed it for my own crystal, went to the game and got my personal and custom made saber. For Juhani, I put it into the .uti file. Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance!
 wasa7
10-29-2006, 10:53 AM
Hello fellas, good morning all. I read some tutorials and discovered that T7 is right. The problem is in fact that, internally, both saber files have the same aurora base name. Then I read that when you create a new ligthsaber you can change that name so what I did was to decompile one of the .mdl and .mdx files with MDLOPS and replace the same file with a new compilation of it, so I could change the base name. I did it and put it in the override folder.

It solved the problem we descrived above but now I have a new problem. Juhani's saber now remains in what I would call semi-ignited state, wich means that you can see the blue blade from an angle but if you move the camera, the blade dissapears. What am I doing wrong? Maybe something with MDLOPS?

Thanks in advance!

EDIT: I don't want to be bulking or anything but I did it! I solved the problem. Thanks for the help T7, and Stoffe as always. :P Take Care Guys!
 T7nowhere
10-29-2006, 4:12 PM
It solved the problem we descrived above but now I have a new problem. Juhani's saber now remains in what I would call semi-ignited state, wich means that you can see the blue blade from an angle but if you move the camera, the blade dissapears. What am I doing wrong? Maybe something with MDLOPS?

I'm glad you solved your problem wasa7, but those that don't know, you have to use mdlops replacer function in order to make a perfectly functioning lightsaber. This is also why I said to hex edit the model and change the aurora base name to be the same as the file name. Hex editing is much faster as you only really need to change the first 2 references to the aurora base in the mdl then save it. It should literally take you no more than 1 minute to do this, unless you've never used a hex editor then it might take you 2 minutes. ;)

Could I just mention that that is a triple post?

It's not a triple post it was only a double. the second post by wasa7 was 7 hours apart. This is acceptable. The 3rd post in the row was a double as only an hour had passed and as there was no new info in it it was a double post.

goldberry Please leave the moderating to the moderators. There is a report this post button for a reason.
 goldberry
10-30-2006, 2:25 AM
Sorry, but I was certain that I saw three (I didn't realise there was a cutoff point for when triple posting was acceptable, I thought you were only allowed to multiple post in a WIP thread), and yes I'll leave the moderating to the moderators... *grumble*
Page: 1 of 1