Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

Help with area models & exporting them

Page: 1 of 1
 SithRevan
09-03-2006, 8:31 PM
Hey, guys I am new to modeling and I want to take a model from one module in TSL and another model from another module in TSL and combin them, would this be possible and if so how would I go about doing it? Also I am having some trouble exporting models when I am finnished with them if somebody could give me a few pointers I would really be greatful for that, so thanks for any help you can give me!:D

P.S.: I don't mean to be demanding but if anybody knows how to do what I was asking up there could you please be VERY SPECIFIC, sorry for the hassle I am pretty new at this and I am sure I am taking a big step for a begginer. So thanks again for any help you can give me.
 oldflash
09-04-2006, 2:31 AM
The only way I know to "extract" a model from 1 module and insert that in another is to load module in 3d editor, separate object you want (delete all that you don't need), make that model to be placeables (or character if you want to set walkmesh in most easy way) and insert in any module via script.
 SithRevan
09-04-2006, 3:00 AM
So how would I do that? Like I said I am pretty new at this, and sorry about the hassle I just am having a really hard time getting this done.:D

P.S.: Also here is a picture of what I kinda want to do, the part in the red circle is the one I want to add to the rest of the model!

Link:
Picture (http://home.surewest.net/nitrogt4/library_withelevator.jpg)
 oldflash
09-04-2006, 3:46 AM
I can't see to much from that pic (what editor do you use? or is about module editor?). However, if you plan to extract a part from module and add to another I'm afraid I can't help.
 SithRevan
09-04-2006, 1:45 PM
I am using gmax to try and make it, and thanks for the help anyway oldflash. I will try and see if I can figure it out on my own, and thanks again!:D

P.S.: Also Can somebody give me a couple of tips on how to export and get model ready for K1 or K2, if you guys could I would be extremely greatful!
 Darkkender
09-05-2006, 12:26 AM
I must ask have you read through any of the tutorial sections that are a part of the forum SithRevan? Because alot of the more basic questions you are asking here get covered in most of the tutorials relating to the different things you can do with models. Also most of the tools we have like mdlops and kotor tool include documentation to walk you through the basics of importing and exporting models.
 Lit Ridl
09-05-2006, 6:33 AM
Hey, Isn't that my reskin for KII: TSL game level add-on?
 SithRevan
09-05-2006, 7:06 AM
I must ask have you read through any of the tutorial sections that are a part of the forum SithRevan? Because alot of the more basic questions you are asking here get covered in most of the tutorials relating to the different things you can do with models. Also most of the tools we have like mdlops and kotor tool include documentation to walk you through the basics of importing and exporting models.

Yes I have but I was still having trouble after I read them so I though I would come here and ask so that I could get more of a detailed explaination of what actually to do.

Hey, Isn't that my reskin for KII: TSL game level add-on?

Yes it is, cooldamien and I though it would be a good idea to add an elevator to the level to make it look like it was more a part of the telos academy. So I hope you like it!:D
 shamelessposer
09-05-2006, 9:47 AM
Yes it is, cooldamien and I though it would be a good idea to add an elevator to the level to make it look like it was more a part of the telos academy. So I hope you like it!:D

It's a matter of common courtesy to ask someone if you can use their existing stuff in your mod rather than doing it without permission and then going "I hope you like it!" when they finally catch on. Some people might even consider it thievery.

Also, you can't really "merge" area models like you're wanting to do. At best, you'll maybe, maybe be able to turn it into a placeable, but it wouldn't have any walkmesh and your character would probably fall through the module or something while trying to enter it. It is NOT POSSIBLE to edit healthy, working new area models at this time, as has been said on these boards a thousand times to a thousand different people who are completely unable to grasp the limitations of either the engine or the modding community. And if you're coming on here two or three times a week to ask the same questions that have been answered in the stickied tutorials throughout the board, I'm going to go out on a limb and say you're not going to be making KOTOR history and creating a brand new walkmesh for your super-duper "merged area model."
 SithRevan
09-05-2006, 11:35 AM
It's a matter of common courtesy to ask someone if you can use their existing stuff in your mod rather than doing it without permission and then going "I hope you like it!" when they finally catch on. Some people might even consider it thievery.

Also, you can't really "merge" area models like you're wanting to do. At best, you'll maybe, maybe be able to turn it into a placeable, but it wouldn't have any walkmesh and your character would probably fall through the module or something while trying to enter it. It is NOT POSSIBLE to edit healthy, working new area models at this time, as has been said on these boards a thousand times to a thousand different people who are completely unable to grasp the limitations of either the engine or the modding community. And if you're coming on here two or three times a week to ask the same questions that have been answered in the stickied tutorials throughout the board, I'm going to go out on a limb and say you're not going to be making KOTOR history and creating a brand new walkmesh for your super-duper "merged area model."

First off you might not know this but I am part of the team that is making the mod that level is going into. So I have rights to use it to my own liking, that is why I said "I hope you like it". Also about the model, I know it has been said it is impossible and I respect that BUT I am not making a model that you are going to be able to walk into and I know that has been done and I also know that it is possible. So basically what I am trying to say is that the model that I am trying to add on to that other model is going to be for show and is not going to actually be used.

P.S.: Also if you don't believe me when I say that I am part of the team that is using that mod or I have rights to use it, check out this site and read the first post, it will confirm that!:D

Link:
http://www.lucasforums.com/showthread.php?t=168281)
 Pavlos
09-05-2006, 11:39 AM
Actually... I do have a way you could do this.

Cut off all areas in 610DAN aside from the Archives and the corridor outside them, by editing the .lyt. Extract the model for the lift and cut it down to what you want, edit it however you feel. Export the model and place it in your override (Under a new name), before adding a new line to "placeables.2da" which references your new model. Then create a new UTP that has your new appearance. Place this in the module, just over your doorway. Seeing as how the model has no collision mesh you may walk right into it. You can then create an area transition trigger, or door for the player to use.

If you want the lift to be controlled from a console on the wall, you can wall in the model by using the invisible blocker appearance for a series of placeables. Walkmesh is not a problem, we left the corridor outside intact. It should then work perfectly well.
 SithRevan
09-05-2006, 12:03 PM
AWESOME! That is so just completely awesome, Thank you very much Pavlos that really helps, and I will go try that right away!
 Darth InSidious
09-06-2006, 2:46 PM
I'm afraid this kind of sticking rooms together doesn't work generally. If you try it, you end up being unable to pass from one room to another in the module because of walkmesh issues at the "seams".

Also, IIRC, there are problems with lighting and new placeable models...
 SithRevan
09-06-2006, 2:54 PM
Well I just decided to take pavlos's advice and make the elevator model into a placeable and it worked pretty well, and also you are right darth insidious I tried to stick the models together and when I tried to go to one from the other the game crashed. So thanks guys for all ofthe help!:D
Page: 1 of 1