Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

Help with area transition triggers!

Page: 1 of 1
 SithRevan
09-02-2006, 1:16 AM
Hey I was wondering if somebody could help me with making a area transition trigger. I need to know step-by-step how to do it, I have already tried doing it by myself and I am just getting confused with the whole aspect of making a trigger. Also I have already read D3's tutorial and even though it is a great tutorial I am still getting confused when I try to make one (also the picture of the geometry points is not there anymore so I don't have any real reference to make them). So if anybody could give me the steps from start to finish on how to make one I will be greatly in their debt, Thanks!:D
 Darkkender
09-02-2006, 2:27 AM
What are the points that are confusing from the tutorial. Since even if somebody re-wrote it you would likely be confused. It would be better for somebody to help you from the point that you are getting lost at.
 SithRevan
09-02-2006, 2:59 AM
Well it is mostly just the "Geometry Points" I am not sure how to set them, thats the real actual probelm that I have been having.
 stoffe
09-02-2006, 6:09 AM
Well it is mostly just the "Geometry Points" I am not sure how to set them, thats the real actual probelm that I have been having.

The XPosition/YPosition/ZPosition fields of the trigger (in the area GIT file) set the base coordinates for where your trigger should be placed. That is just a single point though; to mark up the "active" trigger area you then add a number of points which should form a polygon when lines are drawn between them (thus you need at least 3 points to form a valid trigger area). Those are added to the Geometry list field in the area GIT file for each trigger in the TriggerList.

For each of those geometry points the PointX/PointY/PointZ fields set a coordinate offset from the base coordinates you set in the XPosition/YPosition/ZPosition of the trigger. I.e. if you add a geometry point at (0.0, 0.0, 0.0) it wil appear at the same place as the base trigger coordinates, while adding one at (1.0, 1.0, 0.0) will add a point at 1 meter to the "south" and 1 meter to the "east" of the base coordinates, and adding one at (-1.0, -1.0, 0.0) will att it 1 meter to the "north" and one meter to the "west" of the base (lacking a better point of reference to describe it, north, south etc is just to give an idea, in practice it depends on what area and where in the area you place it).

At least as far as I understand it, but it has worked so far for the triggers I have created. :)
 SithRevan
09-02-2006, 4:47 PM
Thanks stoffe but I am still having trouble with making them. The problem I am having is how many coordinates I am supposed to have and where to put the coordinates. Look at the picture below and that will hopefully explian the trouble that I am having to you. So if you could take a look at that and try to help me again I would REALLY be greatful for your help, Thanks!:D

Link:
Picture (http://home.surewest.net/nitrogt4/trig_trouble.jpg)
 stoffe
09-02-2006, 5:06 PM
Thanks stoffe but I am still having trouble with making them. The problem I am having is how many coordinates I am supposed to have and where to put the coordinates. Look at the picture below and that will hopefully explian the trouble that I am having to you.
Picture (http://home.surewest.net/nitrogt4/trig_trouble.jpg)

As said the coordinates you set for the points forming the trigger polygon are not absolute coordinates, they are offsets from the trigger's location.

In the screenshot above, you'd place the trigger at (x,y,z) coordinates (68.29, 17.17, 11.65). You'd then place your first polygon point at (135,47, 34,99, 11.65). Do note that this measurement is in meters, so you'd place the trigger polygons 67 meters to the "east" of the trigger location. 67 meters is quite a lot in-game.

A simple example: If you wanted to create a square trigger area with 1 meter sides with its lower left corner at the coordinates (10.0, 6.0, 0.0) on the map, on a flat surface, you'd set things up like (only positional fields written out):

¤ TriggerList
¤ 0
¤ XPosition = 10.0
¤ YPosition = 6.0
¤ ZPosition = 0.0
¤ Geometry
¤ 0
¤ PointX = 0.0
¤ PointY = 0.0
¤ PointZ = 0.0
¤ 1
¤ PointX = 1.0