Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

The Official Fanfiction Thread

Page: 1 of 1
 Diego Varen
08-14-2006, 5:14 AM
This Thread is based on the Official Fanfiction Thread (http://www.lucasforums.com/showthread.php?t=153864) from another Forum on LF. Since not many people go there, I thought it would be great to make one here.

Topics you can talk about:

Fanfiction Ideas
Fanfiction Nitpicks
Fanfiction General

I'm currently finishing two other Fics. So talk about Fanfiction here.

Please, no advertising your fics except in your sigs. Thanks, Jae
 JediAthos
08-14-2006, 5:42 AM
Nice idea Pottsie. I've only got one fic up right now and you can find it in my sig. I am very much enjoying reading many of the others that are posted though I sometimes have trouble remembering which ones I've read and which ones I haven't!
 igyman
08-14-2006, 7:52 AM
@JediAthos: That's why you should try to post comments after you read a chapter of a fic, you don't necessarily have to post after every chapter, but it helps you remember what you've read (since the icon of that thread changes so you know in which threads you have posted something) and it helps the author of a fic know he has readers out there and also helps the author know what readers like and dislike in his/her fics. :)
 Ztalker
08-14-2006, 8:21 AM
Good idea, Pottsie :)

I'd just like to ask a little question...

What do you guys like more? Fics involving known characters (Luke Skywalker etc) or 'made up' stories with new characters? I'm constantly doubting about it. Should I start writing about Obi-Wan, or start with a complete new series?

I'd just like to know what appeals more to you guys...
 Diego Varen
08-14-2006, 8:27 AM

What do you guys like more? Fics involving known characters (Luke Skywalker etc) or 'made up' stories with new characters? I'm constantly doubting about it. Should I start writing about Obi-Wan, or start with a complete new series?

Depends what mood I'm in. Usually I write Fics with both known Characters and made up Characters. Ztalker, if you're planning another Fic, I suggest not doing another Obi-Wan one (Unless you really like him), because you already have an unfinished Fic with him. It's your choice.
 Ztalker
08-14-2006, 8:33 AM
I know...

That's what I was refering too...
I simply couldn't come up with anything anymore, so that's why I wrote a fan-fic about a new character, which turned out better, imo. I want to avoid the Obi-Wan thing, so i'm just curious if people like stories about non-excisting characters. :)
 Jason Skywalker
08-14-2006, 8:48 AM
Well, i prefer made up combined with already existent which i am doing now, i am still in the first chapter.
 Yaggles
08-14-2006, 8:48 AM
Good idea Pottsie... this thread is in need of sticky (ah-hem, Jae ;)).

~snipped~ Please advertise your fics only in your sigs. Thanks much, Jae.
 igyman
08-14-2006, 8:59 AM
I prefer made up characters as your protagonists and possible short appearances of known characters.

Edit: Oh, and since we're advertising ~snipped~Please advertise fics only in your sig. Thanks, Jae
 Yaggles
08-14-2006, 9:07 AM
oh I didn't mean to make this an advertising thread, I just saw links to other peoples' fics so I thought I would let you guys know I just let out another chapter.
 Diego Varen
08-14-2006, 9:09 AM
No that was just to show what Fics I've wrote. It was never meant to advertise. Sorry. ~snipped~ Please advertise your fics only in your sigs. Thanks, Jae
 Jae Onasi
08-14-2006, 10:12 AM
Here's my thoughts, folks.
This is not going to be an advertising thread--that's what your own fic threads and your sigs are for. Please see the forum rules (http://www.lucasforums.com/showthread.php?t=151030). I had to snip and delete quite a bit of advertising.
Stickies for resources are fine, but I don't want to sticky a thread about writing experiences. If people have something to say, they will, and the topic will go back to the top. Please keep it constructive and on-topic. Thanks.
 Niner_777
08-14-2006, 3:06 PM

Personally, I think that writing a story with made up characters is a good idea. I like to combine that with existing characters to tie it in to what people already know about. I don't mean to advertise for my fic, but in mine, I've got made up characters, but I'm going to mix it with existing characters such as Ki-Adi-Mundi and Commander Appo. They're quite minor, but they're in there. (Not yet though, lol)

Sorry if that was considered advertising.

This is fine since it's in context with how you're approaching characters. You can certainly talk about something that's worked or not worked for you.--Jae
 HK-42
08-14-2006, 4:44 PM
good idea pottsie
 Yaggles
08-14-2006, 9:41 PM
I prefer using made up characters. "Canon" characters (ones used in the movies) already have their story and if you use them then it will change the story and it's just not cool. So I prefer using my own characters and using my own times (so I don't conflict with the movie stuff).
 JediAthos
08-14-2006, 10:06 PM
In the fic that I'm in the process of posting, I created a couple of new characters and they have interacted with characters from the movies and the video games. Also, in one that I just started I've created new characters whose story I'm telling amongst the background of the movies.
 Yaggles
08-14-2006, 11:41 PM
I guess that would work, but if you add your character into the movie storyline with the movie characters then it totally messes up how the movies go. :)
 Ztalker
08-15-2006, 5:02 AM
I guess that would work, but if you add your character into the movie storyline with the movie characters then it totally messes up how the movies go.
It doesn't have too...the videogame Shadows of the Empire took place between episode 4-5. You play a new character, that is hired to protect Luke from harm, since the whole Empire is after him. It doesn't 'disturb' the movies. It actually links them in quit a cool way.
And, like Niner said, you can simply keep it with 'minor' meetings. This way, you don't mess with the image of the 'excisting' character.

Okay...
I've read your views on the matter...
As far as I can see, you all like 'new' characters that, at some points, 'meet' with the excisting characters.
Thanks for answering. :)
Page: 1 of 1