Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

Reskin Help

Page: 1 of 1
 The Doctor
08-04-2006, 3:07 PM
I want to do a reskin of one of the male PC heads from KotOR, but I don't know what files to modify. I would like to do the whole works - DS transitions, everything. I'm not sure yet which head I want to modify - I'll post a screenshot so you know what files I'll need.

Thanks in advance.

EDIT: Here's the screenshot.
http://img331.imageshack.us/img331/2356/newheaddoctorjn7.png) (http://imageshack.us)

I might also modify the one with the insane hair - the one where the bangs kinda do a flip thing... Here's a screenshot:
http://img337.imageshack.us/img337/9529/newheaddoctor2pj5.png) (http://imageshack.us)
 stoffe
08-04-2006, 7:39 PM
I want to do a reskin of one of the male PC heads from KotOR, but I don't know what files to modify. I would like to do the whole works - DS transitions, everything. I'm not sure yet which head I want to modify - I'll post a screenshot so you know what files I'll need.

Here are a few steps you can use to find out the texture and model files for a character's appearance:
Make a savegame with a character which has the appearance you want to modify.

Find this savegame in the saves folder and open its savegame.sav file with an ERF editor. Using this, extract the file pc.utc from within it.

Open the pc.utc file with a GFF Editor and locate the Appearance_Type field. Remember the number this field it set to. This is a line number in the appearance.2da file.

Open the appearance.2da file with KotorTool and find the line referred to from the pc.utc file in the previous step. Locate the normalhead column and remember the value it's set to for that line. This is a line number in the heads.2da file.

Open heads.2da, find your line and look in the head column. This is the name of the model and base texture of your head. Darkside transition textures are in the headtexvvve, headtexvve, headtexve and headtexe columns (where the first listed is the most darkside one, HeadTextureVeryVeryVeryEvil).

Open swpc_tex_tpa.erf with KotorTool (it's in ERFs --> TexturePacks) and locate the textures listed in heads.2da for your line. Use KotorTool to convert the TPC format to TGA which can be edited by most decent graphic programs. Make sure you opened the _tpa ERF file. The other two, _tpb and _tpc contains lower resolution variants of the same textures.

There is probably a quicker and easier way, but the above should work at least. :)
 one_must_fall
08-04-2006, 7:54 PM
another thing you can do is open kotor tool and look for the templates for the faces you want. that's what i did.
 The Doctor
08-04-2006, 8:11 PM
Open swpc_tex_tpa.erf with KotorTool (it's in ERFs --> TexturePacks)
That's exactly what I needed. :) Thanks a lot, stoffe.

EDIT: Which texturepack has the portraits in them?
 stoffe
08-04-2006, 8:19 PM
EDIT: Which texturepack has the portraits in them?

The portraits are in swpc_tex_gui.erf and usually have a po_ prefix in their file name so they tend to be under the ERFs --> TexturePacks --> swpc_tex_gui --> P tree.
 The Doctor
08-04-2006, 8:24 PM
Thanks a lot, stoffe!

Now, to do a head reskin, do I need any other files, or just the five faces and five portraits?
 stoffe
08-04-2006, 9:15 PM
Thanks a lot, stoffe!

Now, to do a head reskin, do I need any other files, or just the five faces and five portraits?

Should be enough if you don't need to do any changes to the head model.

When you extract the textures though, check in the little text box in the lower left corner in KotorTool's image viewer window. If there's any readable text there, check the "Export selection to TXI File" checkbox and select the text before pressing the "Write file" button to get the TXI files as well.

TXI files contain some extra texture information such as environment maps, glows, "shininess" that are to be applied. The TPC format contains this info along with the image data, but when you use TGAs you'll need separate TXI files with the same name as the textures containing this information.

Most head models don't seem to use TXIs though, so it shouln't be too relevant in this instance. (Visas head does to make the gold parts of her veil shiny, but that's the only one I can think of from memory.)
 Mav
08-04-2006, 10:07 PM
yea, becareful when messing with .txi files and head textures... I turned one of the asian heads into Colossus once... kinda funny actually...
Page: 1 of 1