Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

my model isn't working!

Page: 1 of 1
 Sarthos
07-04-2006, 4:03 PM
So, to start model editing, I began by editing an in-game model, and when I went to export the MDL from 3ds max, it gave me errors saying the vertices need to be welded...How can I fix this?

Also, can I use TGA files in mods, or must I convert them to TCP somehow?

Also, since it started as a game model do I need to animate it?
 woogiee
07-04-2006, 4:09 PM
I dont know much about modeling, so I cant help there. But yes you can use TGA files for mods. I believe your supposed to for skins.
 Sarthos
07-05-2006, 7:04 AM
Ok, but what about the welding, and animation?
 Kha
07-05-2006, 7:12 AM
About the error someone already asked about it here: http://www.lucasforums.com/showthread.php?t=166290)

If you are working with models you got from the game you don't need to worry with the animation.
 Sarthos
07-05-2006, 8:01 AM
So, if the errors are all about vertices it'll still work? Awesome :D

Should I "Export Geom" only, or "Export Model+Anim"

Is there a pink lightsaber mod someone can link me to? I can't seem to find one, but I'm sure there is one :(
 T7nowhere
07-05-2006, 2:35 PM
You can turn off that sanity check by unchecking it in the Active Sanity Checks rollout. Just uncheck Weld to Nearest cm.

The only weapons that have animations are Lightsabers and those staff thingies, but even with those you always "Export Geom" only.
 Sarthos
07-05-2006, 2:44 PM
I edited a character, not a weapon :p
 T7nowhere
07-05-2006, 3:11 PM
Ok, then you will want to read this thread http://www.lucasforums.com/showthread.php?t=143293)
 Jackel
07-05-2006, 5:14 PM
Is there a pink lightsaber mod someone can link me to? I can't seem to find one, but I'm sure there is one :(
For K1 or K2?

For K1 I made this (http://www.pcgamemods.com/mod/6596.html). It doesn't use the tslpatcher as I released this nearly two years ago, before the patcher was available.
 Sarthos
07-05-2006, 6:08 PM
How do you find that pink saber in the game? do you have to wait until you fight Sherruk?
 Jackel
07-05-2006, 6:39 PM
Yeah you have to wait, or you can cheat them in via KSE.
 Sarthos
07-05-2006, 9:15 PM
that tutorial is...confusing...I've extracted the MDL and MDX, and then I edit the MDL in 3ds max...but where does the MDX come in?
 T7nowhere
07-05-2006, 9:34 PM
You will need the original binary mdl and mdx in the same folder as the exported ascii to compile the model. Just make sure you rename the ascii model before pasting the original mdl and mdx in the folder.
 Sarthos
07-06-2006, 12:43 AM
so, the non ascii mdl, the mdx file, and the ascii mdl?

Since I started with the ascii mdl file, do I have to restart it all, or just put the other two files in the same folder? :S
 T7nowhere
07-06-2006, 1:09 AM
If you used mdlops to decompile the model and import to gmax/3dsmax then exported the ascii. then all you need to do is rename the exported ascii so that you can have it and the original in the same folder.

Once you do that load mdlops and open the exported ascii and click the "Read and write model" button after its done its thing a new mdl and mdx will be created in the same folder and will be named something like this P_CandBAz-k1-bin.mdl P_CandBAz-k1-bin.mdx
 Sarthos
07-06-2006, 11:27 AM
and mdlops is?
 RedHawke
07-06-2006, 10:05 PM
and mdlops is?
Here... :roleyess: (http://www.starwarsknights.com/tools.php) :D
 Sarthos
07-07-2006, 8:18 PM
is it part of the KOTOR tool or what? I extracted the files with the KOTOR tool, and I think it worked right...then I edit the MDL, export geom only, and hope it works? but what does 3ds max do with the mdx and binary MDL?
 Kha
07-07-2006, 9:29 PM
1. When you take the .mdl and mdx files from kotor tool it is in binary format;
2. Pass it through MDlops to make the .mdl binary file an ascii .mdl file;
3. Import the ascii .mdl file to 3Dmax or Gmax using NWMax;
4. Remodel it in 3DMax or Gmax;
5. Whn you export the remodeled model from 3DMax or Gmax it creates a new ascii .mdl file.
6. Pass this new ascii .mdl file through Mdlops to make it a binary .mdl file, for it Mdlops needs compare with the original binary .mdl and .mdx files (those you got from kotor tools on step 1).
7. The new binary .mdl and .mdx files Mdlops created can be copied to the override folder of the game to be tested.

got it?
 Sarthos
07-07-2006, 10:00 PM
Edit: Ok, I think it should work now...But I won't be on a computer with KOTOR for a while, will someone take this, and test it for me?
 cchargin
07-07-2006, 10:54 PM
Hello all,

This is one of the most confusing things to explain about MDLOps: skin mesh models.

When altering a skin mesh model (like heads, bodies, and armors) you will be dealing with 4 sets of files:
A) The original binary .mdl and .mdx extracted from kotor with Kotor Tool
B) The ASCII .mdl output by MDLOps
C) The ASCII .mdl output by gmax/nwmax
D) The binary .mdl and .mdx output by MDLOps

Here is a high level step by step:
1) Find your source model files (model group A) in Kotor tool and extract them
2) Run MDLOps and convert your binary model (model group A) into an ASCII .mdl (model group B)
3) Import your ASCII .mdl (model group B) into gmax/nwmax
4) Make some cool changes
5) Export an ASCII .mdl from gmax/nwmax (model group C)
6) Find the model from step 5 (model group C) and open it with notepad. You should see something like:
# Exported from NWmax 0.8 b54 at 7/7/2006 7:20:26 PM
# mdl file
#
#NWmax MODEL ASCII

If you do not see the "NWmax" or you see a lot of gibberish, you have the WRONG .mdl file
7) Rename the ASCII .mdl from step 5 (model group C) so that it will not overwrite the binary .mdl from model group A
8) Copy the ASCII .mdl from step 7 (model group C) into the same directory as the binary .mdl and .mdx (model group A)
9) Run MDLOps and convert the ASCII .mdl from step 8 (model group C)
10) You will now have binary .mdl and .mdx (model group D)

Now the reason for step 8 is that MDLOps actually opens the files from model group A and copies data from them into your files for model group D. It is copying some skin mesh weight information that I don't know how to re-create.
 Sarthos
07-07-2006, 11:20 PM
ok, I've done all that :p I just want to see if it will work, but I won't be on a KOTOR computer for a while...does somebody want to test it for me?
Page: 1 of 1