Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

Modding Your XBox

Page: 1 of 1
 mjpb3
06-21-2006, 10:07 AM
=================================================

WARNING: modding your xbox will VOID YOUR WARRANTY and may lead to the CANCELLATION OF YOUR XBOX LIVE ACCOUNT if you attempt to connect to xbox live with a modded xbox.

=================================================

I am still (amazingly) seeing a lot of folks asking about modding their XBox, so I wanted to add some links in one thread so everyone will be able to find them without making a hundred posts, especially in areas that have nothing to do with the XBox versions of the games.

And for the record, you DO NOT need a modchip to mod your XBox. You can do what is called a softmod instead.

1. You need to read these tutorials:

http://www.techfreaks.org/articles/modxbox.shtml)

http://forums.xbox-scene.com/index.php?showtopic=215055)

http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/218495)

2. To follow along with the above tutorials you will need a download called: Softmod.Installer.Deluxe.v2.0.Xbox-Hq.rar

This rar file contains the files you need. In addition, you will need a game that has a linux installer on it.

To locate Softmod.Installer.Deluxe.v2.0.Xbox-Hq.rar you will have to either Google for it, or use xbins to download. Here's a tutorial for xbins:
http://www.xbox-scene.com/articles/xbins.php)

(You may be able to find it on a newsgroup too. Just search for it on one of the XBox newsgroups.)

-----

READ THE TUTORIALS FIRST!!! (I really cannot stress this enough.)

If you come back and post a message about something that is covered in the tutorials, then that only shows me that you have not read the tutorials and I will be less inclined to assist you. I took the time to read the tutorials, so should you.

Modding your XBox should not be rushed, and it's not that hard. I did it, so can you. But you have to do a little research and reading first or you will seriously mess up your XBox!

-----

To all of the other XBox modders: feel free to add in what I am sure I forgot to cover ;)

-----

FOR YOUR INFORMATION #1: Model files will not work on the XBox. No ifs, ands, or buts about it. They just won't - no matter what someone else may tell you. Any other files should with a little finagling. But no, model files will not work. Don't even try them. Your XBox will hate you for it. :lol:

FOR YOUR INFORMATION #2: Module files, or any mods that place files outside of the Override folder in your XBox files, won't work. Module mods are those like ORD Mandell (http://www.lucasforums.com/showthread.php?t=136575) and outside files are those like wav files, etc...

FOR YOUR INFORMATION #3: the Override folders for KotOR 1 and KotOR 2 for your XBox are:

KotOR 1 - E:/TDATA/4c410003/Override/

KotOR 2 - E:/Games/Star Wars KotOR II (OR SWKotOR II OR Whatever it gets named)/Override

If there isn't an Override folder in either one of these directories to start with, then you will have to create one and FTP it to the XBox.

-----

HTH! :D
 RedHawke
06-22-2006, 12:30 AM
(Could a mod possibly sticky this???)
No!!! Oh wait! I meant yes! :D
 mjpb3
06-22-2006, 1:04 AM
Redhawke, don't be harsh! You'll make me cry!

:crybaby:

*sniff*

Hah! Fooled you! :xp: :lol:

Oh, and thank you oh great one! ;)
 SithLordStriker
06-27-2006, 2:29 AM
What's a game that has Linux Installer on it?

Edit: Sorry! Didn't even check out your links. Question answered! :)
 Johnpp
03-03-2007, 8:15 PM
I have a question. Why do some games even have Linux Installers on them anyway? What do they need em' for?
 mjpb3
03-05-2007, 6:38 AM
I have a question. Why do some games even have Linux Installers on them anyway? What do they need em' for?
I honestly don't know. I guess you'd have to Google for the correct answer to that.

(I'm just glad that some do because it made it easier to mod my XBox. ;) :thumbsup: )
 Dak Vesser
05-20-2007, 10:10 PM

Aside from the Xbox, Linux installers (in games) are mainly for the purpose of creating game servers ~ preferably Linux being much more stable than Microsoft, not to mention far less proprietary. I would say this is just server side only ~ where the client side is usually Mac & PC, very rare is there an official build (full game) for Linux where it's supported being that there's many different builds of Linux e.g. Red Hat, Slackware, Ubuntu, Debian, Knoppix. Installation is quite different on many.

Usually a Linux user has to run the PC game through a Microsoft emulator such as “Wine” to get it to work.

NOTE: A modded xbox with "cromwell linux" is nolonger an xbox. To run games on Cromwell would more likely need to be PC emulated or Xbox emulated and that is frowned on by "the Man!" :(
10-29-2007, 10:03 PM
Ok the trainers is their a trainer for every game also installing that stuff Would it still load Xbox Games????

Edit:When they say Ehternet cable to Pc to xbox do you still needed to be connected to the internet?
 StormSinger
11-17-2007, 4:40 PM
Ok the trainers is their a trainer for every game also installing that stuff Would it still load Xbox Games????

Edit:When they say Ehternet cable to Pc to xbox do you still needed to be connected to the internet?

Not exactly sure what you mean by "every" game. Every game for the xbox? Or every KotOR game? But here's an answer anyway. You won't find trainers for every game, but the majority do have trainer releases -- sometimes, more than 1. There are trainers for K1 and K2, and although I used them off and on for various things while modding (with no problems), many people had no end of trouble getting them to work. Loading isn't an issue.

As for the cable... no, you don't have to be connected to the internet to transfer files between PC and xbox.
 Shaggoth
10-04-2009, 2:38 AM
do i have to copy games on hdd then, or just mods in those override folders?
 Dak Vesser
10-04-2009, 7:11 PM
omg this is a blast from the past! um shaggoth if you're talking about the old classic xbox? modded then yes: goes on the hdd. I suppose you could find an old xbox somewhere for sale online. not sure about a mod chip though......

how old is this thread btw?
 VarsityPuppet
10-04-2009, 8:41 PM
how old is this thread btw?

Looks as though it dates back to 2006.

If you're playing modded Kotor II, then yes, you need to copy the game to your harddrive, and then create an override folder in the game directory.

If you're playing modded KoTor, you need to place the override folder in the correct TDATA Folder on your drive.. I'm not sure what it is though.. it starts with 4c4_______

Actually, for Kotor II, you could burn a dvd with a permanent override on it
 Shaggoth
10-05-2009, 1:16 PM
I already have a moded xbox and lots of games :) yeah? thanks for information.
so for kotor it isnt nesessary to copy game on hard drive?

by the way, mods must be reskins mostly? how bout something like prestige padawans or single sabered bastila?
 VarsityPuppet
10-05-2009, 4:38 PM
so for kotor it isnt nesessary to copy game on hard drive?

Correct.
Though, if you want faster load times (and have GBs of space to spare) you might consider loading it on there.

by the way, mods must be reskins mostly? how bout something like prestige padawans or single sabered bastila?

Actually, quite the opposite. Reskins will work... but only so many will work at a time (too many, and the game will freeze). It also depends on the size of the skin: if you have a bunch of small ones (32x32), then you shouldn't encounter too many problems. However, try loading a 1024x1024, and... well I'll be surprised if it loads at all.

And actually, utcs/utis, 2das, scripts and module files.. they will all work rather nicely...

so you could easily have your single sabered bastila and quite possibly prestige padawans (I'm not sure what the mod is...)

And actually, I'm gonna have to contradict mjpb3 here a bit:

FOR YOUR INFORMATION #1: Model files will not work on the XBox. No ifs, ands, or buts about it. They just won't - no matter what someone else may tell you. Any other files should with a little finagling. But no, model files will not work. Don't even try them. Your XBox will hate you for it.

This, is for the most part true. SOME (and very few) models will load on the xbox. But it is not impossible.

FOR YOUR INFORMATION #2: Module files, or any mods that place files outside of the Override folder in your XBox files, won't work. Module mods are those like ORD Mandell and outside files are those like wav files, etc...

This needs to be rewritten... Module mods that use new models will not work.
If you're making a new module from a pre-existing module (no reskins, no custom models) then there's no reason why it shouldn't work.

Wav files will not work on the xbox. They have to be converted to wma if they're VOs. For any other cases.. I'm not sure
 StormSinger
10-06-2009, 7:02 PM
Wow...Dak lives :P

For large textures, I'd recommend resizing them to 256x256. This is the standard size for the xbox version of KotOR anyway.
 VarsityPuppet
10-06-2009, 10:23 PM
Wow...Dak lives :P

For large textures, I'd recommend resizing them to 256x256. This is the standard size for the xbox version of KotOR anyway.

there are some for k2 that use 512x512.. it's best to handle it case by case
 RedHawke
10-07-2009, 2:13 AM
This needs to be rewritten...
Well... then go for it, I'll sticky it. ;)

Just remember to write it like you are addressing a total newbie. :D
 VarsityPuppet
10-07-2009, 1:27 PM
I will try. There are still a few out there who have and mod the xbox, and with the TSLRCM coming out, we're looking for a way for our xbox friends to have the "ultimate" k2 experience.

I'll see what I can gather up. Thanks for your blessing RedHawke!
 Shaggoth
10-09-2009, 2:15 PM
wicked :) i'll try to run some mods on my xbox game and respond in that topic (or shouldn't i?)
 VarsityPuppet
10-09-2009, 7:09 PM
Go ahead dude. Myself and another guy are working on a list of compatible mods for the xbox, it'd be awesome if you wanted to help contribute.

Yes, I realize there already is one, but we're organizing them a little differently ;)

and in addition to that, I'll be creating a tutorial on how to mod kotor I/II efficiently on an xbox.

It will be grand!
 Shaggoth
10-11-2009, 9:07 AM
hm. is there are way to install "get your lightsaber back from atris" mod?
the list would be awesome :)
i've tryed our little mod, adding flickering effect to lightsaber blades, it worked but ith some glitches. i'll check it some more to be sure.
 VarsityPuppet
10-11-2009, 11:21 AM
Okay, but to prevent this thread from getting too long from our exchange inbetween one another, we should probably take this to PMs.
 darth trea
06-25-2011, 3:44 PM
um im wondering what type of xbox this is and if it is xbmc (xbox media center) because i have the original xbox and its got xbmc.

but my 360 is not modded and i do not want to mod it

Edit: i found out nvm
 derrty77
06-09-2012, 3:40 PM
So, lets say that im theoretically planning to mod Kotor on the xbox, but all i have is a 360. What can I do about that?
Page: 1 of 1