Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

Infiltrators

Page: 1 of 1
 mattwild
06-03-2006, 7:30 AM
Have any of you ever tried the infiltrators as an assault unit?

They are brilliant for sneaking into an enemy base, taking out some infantry and easily destroying buildings with their thermal detonators, especially in groups of 6 or more.

They seem quite an underused unit.
 FunkyDwarf
06-06-2006, 3:10 AM
iev used em many a time to soften up a target with a raid fleet of em before sending in my main force. also if i suceed it means ive blown up the spacestation and can take out their orbital fleet
 Thrawn3.14
07-02-2006, 8:27 PM
They are extremely effective in areas in which they can be spread out (to avoid being run over) near a chokepoint. In large numbers they can defeat almost any unit, including AT - AT's. Their thermal detonators can destroy large groups of vehicles, and at maximum range they can kill even heroes with ease.
 shadowsi
07-03-2006, 11:52 AM
What the hell are you talking about dwarf?

For your information, were talking about the infiltrators, which are a LAND unit.

Theyre pretty good, but i have a better tactic against them....

Get some Scouts and send them to a group of infiltrators, then just deploy some detonators... Were talking against AI here...
 Thrawn3.14
07-04-2006, 3:53 PM
If you capture the planet with a raid fleet the enemy space station in orbit is destroyed.
 Grey_Ghost
07-05-2006, 12:41 PM
It was a challenge, but once I got Infiltrators in the campaign I used them solely to attack non mission planets. The fleet above the planet was then easy pickins without their Space Station. Felt kinda cheap though.
 wedge2211
07-06-2006, 4:17 PM
A raid fleet of six Infiltrators can be incredibly powerful on the ground. I like to send them in, hotkeyed in groups of two, and have them move as a group. I'll build a bacta tank somewhere if possible, and turn most of the other build pads I encounter into anti-vehicle turrets. If I encounter speeder bikes or stormtrooper squads, I just issue a stop command to the Infiltrators and the enemy troops are cut down in a few volleys of rifle fire. Infiltrators are capable of outrunning detonators dropped by speeder bikes, so they offer no contest. AT-ATs warrant all six Infiltrators tossing their detonators. I find that the toughest opposition comes from the mid-range vehicles: AT-STs and TIE Maulers can squish them, and 2-M tanks carry those nasty anti-infantry blaster cannons. However, smart placement of detonators and spreading out the group of Infiltrators can do some serious damage to those units, especially with the splash damage from detonators attached to vehicles in groups. Now against a human opponent, TIE Maulers are probably enough to take down Infiltrators.

I find that if I can get two or three Infiltrators to plant explosives on an Imperial building, that usually takes it down. It's actually cost-effective to trade three Infiltrators for any one Imperial building, so I figure if I can take out some serious manufacturing infrastructure or expensive high-tech stuff, I've done pretty well. Taking out a single factory or barracks on a world given over to research facilities or mining can also be great prep work for a raid fleet of speeders or artillery.

The cheapest thing I've done with them was raid Geonosis, on which the Imperials had one of every unit-producing building and a magnapulse cannon, but no units other than the building garrisons. I immediately took every Geonosian on the planet and issued a suicide attack order on the Imperial base, distracting them enough so that the Infiltrators could move with impunity. With the Infiltrators, I destroyed the Imperial heavy factory...and then I retreated. I raided again immediately, only this time, I didn't have the garrison of 2-M's to account for. Took out the advanced factory and retreated--et cetera, et cetera. The game really ought to have a time limit on how often a given planet can be raided, just to prevent things like that. :)
 Grey_Ghost
07-06-2006, 5:28 PM
I use them just as you do. It's nice when the local population is your Ally. Having an area with a Bacta Tank & preferably a few Anti-Vehicle turrets along the way is a must. The biggest problem I had was the Imp Artillery, usually lost 2 out of 6 Infiltrators from suprise blasts. Was a huge problem not knowing where they were before they fired.

Heh, try raiding a planet with Boba Fett as Imp for a huge challenge. I'm suprised how bad his blaster is against infantry. I've managed to kill/dirve off? Han, Chewbacca, and Obi-wan with the right build pad configuration/flame thrower usage. All just to destory a couple of Ion Cannons heh. I wonder if anyone has made a Storm Commando unit.
 Thrawn3.14
07-07-2006, 12:43 PM
This is one of my strategies dependant on the use of infiltrators:

If the enemy is landing a large number of vehicles I will send in infiltrators to destroy them before their landers lift off and they become active. The splash damage can take out large groups of vehicles, especially if the detonators are spread out throughout the formation. I then fall back and place them in sniping positions. Once the detonators are recharged (for lack of a better word) I will eliminate the shield generator if one is present. This allows me to send in T4 - B's, as well as MPTL's to attack the base. The tanks will destroy any turrets inside the base, while my MPTL's destroy any reinforcements my opponent attempts to land.

Once the anti air turrets are destroyed I will call in bombing runs to destroy anything out of reach of my tanks. Within a few minutes, victory is accheived(sp?).
 Thrawn3.14
07-07-2006, 12:51 PM
Infiltrators are also excellent defensive units. When backed up by anything capable of quickly destroying Maulers. As an example, on the Endor Xpress map against 3 human opponents, I was able to hold them back (this was 3 against 1) almost indefinately using only infiltrators.

By the end of the round I had destroyed 6 AT AT's, about 60 AT AA's (they were being used as an assault unit), and countless AT ST's. Fortunately, very few maulers were sent.
Page: 1 of 1