Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

Games similar to KOTOR

Page: 1 of 1
 MdKnightR
05-17-2006, 11:46 AM
Are there any other games that have a similar look and feel to KOTOR? I don't necessarily mean sci-fi either. Just the way it plays.
 Det. Bart Lasiter
05-17-2006, 2:51 PM
Neverwinter Nights is the only one I can think of.
 igyman
05-17-2006, 3:09 PM
Deus Ex and Deus Ex Invisible War, Vampire The Masquerade Bloodlines. They are also mixtures of multiple genres, just like KoTOR, the only difference is that the controls are more like those in FPS, or TPS games.
 Lantzen
05-17-2006, 3:18 PM
Vampire The Masquerade Bloodlines i think is the most similar, but it don't work so well on my computer(Dont know why) so i always get bored on it. Think i have start four charachters but never finish
 Commander Obi-Wan
05-17-2006, 11:02 PM
I am not 100% sure, but possibly Lord of the Rings: The Third Age....I never played KotOR before....anyway.
 CountVerilucus
05-17-2006, 11:09 PM
Jade Empire, pretty similar and made by bioware i think. really recommend it, its a good game. To me it was just like Kotor just a completely different setting. Dark Side\Light Side in the game is Way of the Closed Fist\Way of the Open Palm and your actions edge you towards either one just like in Kotor, and each one has pros and cons. Character interaction and choosing your path is big just like in Kotor. Fighting is realtime though not that complicated. Story isnt as good as Kotor, but pretty good.
 milo
05-17-2006, 11:42 PM
I am not 100% sure, but possibly Lord of the Rings: The Third Age....I never played KotOR before....anyway.

Well, I don't know of any games like KOTOR, but I do know that The Third Age isn't like it. It's completely turn-based, no real-time at all (during combat anyways)
 Boba Rhett
05-18-2006, 12:34 AM
As mentioned before, get Neverwinter Nights and Jade Empire.
 igyman
05-18-2006, 6:21 AM
If you like the conversation/action/mystery combination, like the one in KoTOR, you should definitely try Deus Ex, any of the two parts.
 RaV™
05-18-2006, 9:02 PM
Jade Empire is the closest thing I think of edit by d333: duh! was it really necessary to post that spoiler and ruin the game?????
 MdKnightR
05-20-2006, 2:01 AM
Thanks for all the input, guys! I had been wanting to try many of those games anyway. Vampire the Masquerade Bloodlines being similar is good news because I started playing Redemption last year and quickly got bored with it. I liked the storyline, but the action was kinda lame. I think Bloodlines is in the bargain bin at Wal-mart now.
 igyman
05-20-2006, 1:48 PM
Yeah, Redemption is OK, if you wanted 3D Diablo. Bloodlines is much better.
 The Source
05-20-2006, 2:03 PM
Vampire The Masquerade Bloodlines i think is the most similar, but it don't work so well on my computer(Dont know why) so i always get bored on it. Think i have start four charachters but never finish
Vampire The Masquerade Bloodlines was designed by a few people who now work for Obsidian. Hehehe...
 MdKnightR
07-16-2006, 10:02 PM
I just got NWN Diamond edition, but I don't see that much similarity with KOTOR yet. Other than that they are both RPGs. I haven't gotten very far with it yet though.
 Inyri
07-16-2006, 11:55 PM
I just got NWN Diamond edition, but I don't see that much similarity with KOTOR yet.They both use the same engine, and the gameplay is almost identical :). They are different in the fact that the player character is more of a vessel to carry along the story rather than part of the story him (or her) self.
 MdKnightR
07-17-2006, 7:47 AM
I guess I am basing my opinion on aesthetics. It doesn't look like KOTOR and the dialog isn't handled the same. In KOTOR, the characters enter an almost cutscene scenario when exchanging dialog and every one has vocals. NWN just takes place "out in the open" and much of the dialog has to be read beyond the first paragraph and therefore doesn't have a cinematic effect.
 Inyri
07-17-2006, 1:31 PM
You could very much consider KotOR something of a "second generation" game of the Aurora engine. Neverwinter Nights sacrificed a lot graphically to be able to be so variable for the player, and as it was released before KotOR it doesn't have all the graphical bells and whistles. However the new installment of the series, which is supposedly releasing in mid-September, will handle dialogue much more like KotOR in the 'cinematic' sense.

The bonus you get with NWN, however, is that Bioware fully supported modding for it, so you can almost never run out of new scenarios to play, whether you download them or create them yourself. NWN's modding flexibility is what KotOR would have had (let's all drool for a minute, thinking of how nice that would have been...) had LucasArts permitted that kind of modding support.
 ChAiNz.2da
07-17-2006, 1:52 PM
The bonus you get with NWN, however, is that Bioware fully supported modding for it, so you can almost never run out of new scenarios to play, whether you download them or create them yourself. NWN's modding flexibility is what KotOR would have had (let's all drool for a minute, thinking of how nice that would have been...) had LucasArts permitted that kind of modding support.
QFE (on several of those points ;) )

The Mods alone for this game are almost, if not, as expansive as the OC and it's 2 original modules. Add on to it the downloadable content (pay per module).. the CEP Expansion Set (free) which is a vast conglomerate of the Modding Communty, custom models, etc. etc. and virtually 1,000's a mods.. Bingo, endless replay value...

Oh yeah, and as InyriForge stated, the Toolset alone is an additional bonus to add to all the above :D

This is the reason why I have to explain to people when they ask how I could play a single game title for 3 years straight ;)

But yeah, I can see your point MKR.. the games DO unfortunately require much more reading and interpretation than KotOR does... and it could be seen as an immersion killer when compared to the newer games that have every single line of dialogue voiced (something NWN2 will solve :emodanc: )
 MdKnightR
07-18-2006, 12:28 AM
^^^^then I will certainly be anticipating NWN2!
 Pavlos
07-18-2006, 4:43 AM
QFE (on several of those points ;) )

The Mods alone for this game are almost, if not, as expansive as the OC and it's 2 original modules. Add on to it the downloadable content (pay per module).. the CEP Expansion Set (free) which is a vast conglomerate of the Modding Communty, custom models, etc. etc. and virtually 1,000's a mods.. Bingo, endless replay value...

Oh yeah, and as InyriForge stated, the Toolset alone is an additional bonus to add to all the above :D

This is the reason why I have to explain to people when they ask how I could play a single game title for 3 years straight ;)

But yeah, I can see your point MKR.. the games DO unfortunately require much more reading and interpretation than KotOR does... and it could be seen as an immersion killer when compared to the newer games that have every single line of dialogue voiced (something NWN2 will solve :emodanc: )

Agreed :).

Although, you did say "Community Expansion Pack Expansion Set" :xp:.

Edit: And I think every NWN player is looking forwards to the next installment. Have you seen the screens from that thing? And the toolset... *drools*
 *bAsTiLaJeEdAi*
07-18-2006, 5:14 AM
Nothing! KOTOR is one of a kind! or in this case 2 maybe 3.
 Hobox
08-19-2006, 11:41 AM
But are there any StarWars games out there that comes even close to KotoR when it comes to storyline? I'm looking for more Starwars games where you almost feel part of that universe. :ears1:
 Emperor Devon
08-19-2006, 2:06 PM
Other than KotOR II, there are none. But I would definitely recommend the games that were listed above. Jade Empire and NWN are must-haves. Then there's also Oblivion, NWN 2, and Mass Effect... There are a lot of non-Star Wars games that have released or are about to be released that can compare with KotOR.
 Jeff
08-19-2006, 5:09 PM
No game can match the awesome of KotOR.

But Baldur's Gate comes close to it. It's a little older but it's similar to NWN and personally I enjoyed it more than nwn.
 Dagobahn Eagle
08-20-2006, 4:46 AM
KOTOR II.
(/Smartass:D)
 Lantzen
08-20-2006, 9:22 AM
Get Badlurs Gate 2, it's old but very good. I installed it for maybe two weeks ago, and thats the only game i have play since, im on my second playthrogh on it now
 Vaelastraz
08-20-2006, 9:47 AM
Baldurs Gate II.
A great game, uses similar mechanics and has a great plot (unlike NWN imo).

Vampire bloodlines is a atmospheric game with a good story, but the combat is real time (almost like in adventure games like Indiana Jones), and it has a lot of bugs. Plus you need a very good system, it demands a lot of ressources.

Gothic I+II.
Similar to vampire, but a different scenario. One of the best Rpgs imo.

Gothic and Vampire have full voiced dialogues, in Gothic even the PC has a voice for every dialoge.
 Bastila
08-20-2006, 9:51 AM
I would say Jade Empire, BioWere made it as well, so that helps and the fact that you can be good or bad, have different endings be male female and the style really.
 Lantzen
08-21-2006, 4:04 AM
Im wating for Jade Empire to come to PC, it look likes a really good game
Page: 1 of 1