Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

So anyone no any good RTS games comin out in the future?

Page: 1 of 1
 Dirk Pitt
03-19-2006, 8:17 PM
Do ya?
 Commander Obi-Wan
03-19-2006, 10:25 PM
The expansion or sequel/prequel to E@W. :D
 Admiral Raven
03-20-2006, 1:26 PM
Medieval 2 Total War!!!!!!!!!!!!11111shiftone
 darthfergie
03-20-2006, 3:18 PM
Ditto to Admiral Raven. I have no idea when it will be coming out, but DANG it looks amazing. The castle sieges in particular blow my mind. Trying to attack a castle build on top of sheer cliffs with only a few narrow approaches to bash away at the wall only to find another ring of walls behind it. Just insanely cool. It doesn't sound as formulaic as Rome Total War was (while being an amazing game, sieges tended to be very similar).

I saw a 4 page preview in PC Gamer that absolutely blew me away. I'm salivating over that game. :)

(Medieval Total War 2 - Winter 2006)
 DarthMaulUK
03-20-2006, 4:18 PM
Yeah Winter for METW2. Ive a friend who works for the creative assembly and he keeps teasing me as I am a huge fan. Notice as well, that they, like Petroglyph, have been snapped up by Sega for RTS games.

DMUK
 rwps
03-20-2006, 4:55 PM
 Jeff
03-20-2006, 5:00 PM
Warhammer: mark of chaos http://www.gamespot.com/pc/strategy/warhammer/index.html)
I'm also looking forward to this one!
 darthfergie
03-20-2006, 5:15 PM
Yeah Winter for METW2. Ive a friend who works for the creative assembly and he keeps teasing me as I am a huge fan. Notice as well, that they, like Petroglyph, have been snapped up by Sega for RTS games.

DMUK

Indeed...semi creepy...soon we'll have to refer to Sega as a big PC game publisher...and that's just odd to me since I grew up with a Genesis and was a Sonic fan and all that stuff...yeah...just kinda blows my mind.

My interest has been piqued though. Sega seems to be sneaking up on the gaming world all of the sudden after recovering from the Dreamcast...maybe it's just me not noticing, but they seem to be creeping into all sorts of areas I didn't expect.
 Snafu7
03-20-2006, 5:37 PM
Medival total war 2 definately, but I'm also looking forward to Company of Heroes, looks like it'll be insane.
 lukeiamyourdad
03-20-2006, 8:50 PM
I'm looking forward to the expansion that has been announced for Warhammer 40K: Dawn of War. They're adding the Tau and another race :)

Oh and Medieval 2 Total War of course :D
 Commander Obi-Wan
03-20-2006, 10:30 PM
....I suppose you guys recommend Warhammer 40k? :D :p

I might try it. I have heard of the hobby game. I just might try it. Just maybe.....
 Darth Alec
03-21-2006, 1:03 PM
I prefer the WFB game, though it won't be out in a while...... Never liked WH:40k.
 DarthMaulUK
03-21-2006, 1:12 PM
I love DoW but after playing it for many hours online, I discovered just how bad the pathfinding can be. Units are forever getting stuck and the one thing I can't stand and makes me scream like a girl is when a unit see's an enemy unit close range, attacks it, but lets the enemy unit continue along its path because if it goes out of a certain 'zone', my unit returns back to where it was and lets the enemy unit carry on...despite any stance I put it on...grrrrrr

I think, if you like large scale battles like no other, I recomend Rome Total War without fail. But if you like something really indepth but not graphically pleasing.... REBELLION!

DMUK
 lukeiamyourdad
03-21-2006, 9:11 PM
Yeah, pathfinding is a pain in DoW...but the action is so...fun...and addicting...and so much blood and explosions and...stuff :D
 lordlegendz
03-22-2006, 7:50 AM
Dreadnaughs picking up and throwing orks around is fun.
 wedge2211
03-22-2006, 10:29 AM
The upcoming RTS I'm most excited about is definitely Supreme Commander, the 'spiritual sequel' to Total Annihilation. The game has a real sense of scale, and includes units from infantry to tanks to strategic bombers to battleships to aircraft carriers, all sized appropriately and on a humongous map. It relies more on true simulation (for instance, calculating the actual trajectory of a cannon shell to determine whether or not it hits a moving target) than rock-paper-scissors relationships. It's also elimenated a number of micromanagement issues by allowing you to appoint a computerized commander to monitor your base while you concentrate on the strategy.

Some links:

http://pc.gamespy.com/pc/supreme-commander/632026p1.html)

http://pc.ign.com/articles/695/695946p1.html)

Unfortunately, the official website (http://supcom.gaspowered.com/) doesn't have much at this point.
 Admiral Raven
03-22-2006, 1:46 PM
Excuse my French but bloody hell that game is on a large scale!!
http://pcmedia.gamespy.com/pc/image/article/632/632026/supreme-commander-20050707115337034.jpg)

And what the hell are those big walker things? They look so damn cool!

Thanks for pointing this out wedge it has been added to my "worth looking out for" list.
 jedi3112
05-31-2006, 7:00 PM
C&C 3 Tiberium Wars, but it's still quite a long time from being released. And I wonder how it will work out in the end, seeing as how they messed up with C&C Generals.
 Thrawn
07-10-2006, 10:46 PM
C&C3, Supreme Commander, but Company of Heroes has me drooling right now. Fully destructible environment = yummy.
 Lantzen
08-03-2006, 8:58 AM
C&C 3 Tiberium War
Supreme Commander
World in Conflict
Warhammer: Mark of Chaos
 swphreak
08-03-2006, 5:17 PM
My list in order of anticipation:

Supreme Commander (www.supremecommander.com)
Command and Conquer 3 (http://www.ea.com/official/cc/cc3/us/release.jsp)
World in Conflict (http://www.worldinconflict.com/)

EaW doesn't make the list because I really only like half the game-the space battles.
 Alegis
08-11-2006, 10:03 PM
* Dark crusade expansion for Warhammer 40k: Dawn of War
(Dang I love DoW)
* Supreme Commander

Dreadnaughs picking up and throwing orks around is fun.
Even though I hardly played space marines, dreadnoughts is what got me into it as I wasnt a fan of the squad system right away. Oh man that lovely voice acting in the game

Command me
I have awoken

And I think pathfinding is still ok. Tough to find a good rpg without bad pathfinding now and then ;) Although for Baneblade (especially custom maps, but yeah custom) it can be a real pain in the ass.
 lukeiamyourdad
08-12-2006, 2:21 AM
Command me
I have awoken

Yeah, that cold mechanical voice is pretty cool :)

My favorite was from the Space Marine Commander when he uses his Battle Shout:

I fear no evil, for I am fear incarnate!
 DarthMaulUK
08-12-2006, 4:31 AM
Grand scale War - Medieval 2: Total War..... Winter 2006 - Jingle bells anyone?

DMUK
 Darth_Fetto
08-21-2006, 8:34 AM
I'm hardly waiting for StarTrek:Legacy as it seems something like Starfleetcommand or better than that. I liked those MP Servers and
turning hexes with others on the map. HOpe it will be, in MP Part,
something like that.

Also War Front - Turning Point looks interesting, as it is a WWII RTS
with basebuilding and resources, what I was really really waiting for.

Gota checkout Supreme Commander. Space RTS Game ???
 Samuel Dravis
08-21-2006, 1:06 PM
I'm looking forward to Medieval 2 as well. I have Medieval and Rome TW, and both of those were great (Europe now belongs to the Julii :D). Can't wait to see what happens in the next one.

Still, what I'd really like is a Star Wars Homeworld game... Full 360 degree space strategy sim. The mods for HW1 and HW2 are nice, but not as nice as a commercial game would be. :)
 coupes.
08-22-2006, 12:35 AM
Medieval II : Total War, defiantely. the more I learn about this game, the more excited I get. I'm having so much fun replaying RTW with different factions or simply using different strategies. the game is so deep and has so much to do, MTW2 has so much potential. All the enhancments made to the gameplay will help make this game one of the best RTS ever made, mark my words.

I haven't followed Supreme Commander very closely, but from what I've seen it looks very solid and very promising
 wedge2211
08-22-2006, 5:17 PM
Seen the trailer for Supreme Commander? Droooooool...
 FiEND_138
09-27-2006, 5:21 PM
Halo + RTS = Sweet. (http://halowars.com/)

* Except for the whole 360 exclusive thing... *
 DarthMaulUK
10-01-2006, 7:12 PM
Well, I just got Company of Heroes and everyone thought Empire at War had online problems! CoH struggles with pathfinding, a common problem with Dawn of War (Relic made both) yet reviews are raving. Game is ok - not ground breaking just normal WW2 game.

DMUK
 lukeiamyourdad
10-01-2006, 10:34 PM
Game is ok - not ground breaking just normal WW2 game.

DMUK

It certainly is pretty, but yeah, not the greatest ever made, but pretty good. It's not like it has a lot of competition in the WW2 RTS sub-genre.

No matter, Dark Crusade is coming really soon and I can't wait :p
 Xyvik
10-05-2006, 5:19 PM
I'm saddened that so few are keeping any interest on Supreme Commander. It will finally be a true real time STRATEGY game, not the tactical stuff that WC3 made popular.

Medieval 2 I am looking forward to, but that is not an RTS, it is a Turn Based Strategy game with a few RTS elements thrown in, and those aren't as good as its TBS part. I hated the morale issue of R:TW. Roman Soldiers did not run away while they were anywhere near the italian penisula, otherwise they would never be able to show their faces near anybody who had anything to do with Rome. Morale buckled under far too easily, even for the Gaul. They would fight to the last man, regardless of who was coming at them, because of their fierce pride of their country, and similarly the romans. Meh. I hope M:TW2 fixes a bit of that problem.

SupCom is definitely going to be the RTS to get, I just hope it doesn't suffer the fate that TA did: IE not very many people knew about it, but it was way better than the alternatives, including CNC and StarCraft.
 DarthMaulUK
10-05-2006, 6:37 PM
One thing is for certain. THQ are certainly becoming masters of publishing triple A RTS games. Dawn of War, Company Of Heroes and now Supreme Commander - not including expansions of course for the first title.

2007 will certainly be a big year again, so many new RTS games coming out and the new one from Petroglyph, being published by Sega

DMUK
 jedi3112
10-21-2006, 7:28 PM
Company of Heroes had me going for a few weeks, but now I am getting really annoyed, because I can't find the change hotkeys menu. I wait for the modding tools, I have to remove the pop count again.
 coupes.
10-24-2006, 4:32 PM
Just letting all those waiting for M2TW that there is a demo out. apparently it has been out for a couple of days already, but I just found out about it. It has a tutorial mission as well as two other historical battles. It looks like it's gonna require a good machine to run this game well.

The demo was a lot of fun and I can't wait for the full game !
 lukeiamyourdad
10-24-2006, 6:12 PM
It's been out for a few weeks actually, but it doesn't support SSE 1 or something like that. Athlon XP users (like me) and users of several other non-Intel processors cannot play it.

Creative Assembly has stated that they're working out the issues regarding SSE2's problem with the older AMD processors and that the full version should support them.
 Da_man
04-29-2008, 2:03 AM
Sorry to revive the thread, but Halo Wars FTW!
Page: 1 of 1