Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

Space Battle (NO LAND BATTLES) mod

Page: 1 of 1
 Three60
02-27-2006, 9:39 AM
I was told to rename the topic, that it was misleading, etc. I'm leaving the mod name, but I did put in NO LAND BATTLES, so you better know what it is now.
Anyway, this is a mod that removes all land battles and adds some new features, like the Venator, new lasers, new space buildings (Asteroid Mining Facility), and as soon as possible new ships. This is not just another space balance mod, in fact as of now no changes to balance is added. But it does raise the limit of ships allowed in battle to 40 for both sides.

VERSION 1.0
Adds the Venator.
Adds Fleet Commanders.
Adds Asteroid Mining Facilities.
Removes land battles.
Raises limit of ships in combat to 40.

VERSION 1.1
Cuts all build times by 1/2.
Adds new graphics for the lasers.

VERSION 1.2
Adds the Moldy Crow and a Z95 Headhunter for Kyle Katarn and Mara Jade respectively.
TIE Scouts now built at a level one space station.
Kamino in Empire and Rebellion version of Galactic Conquest.
Mon Calamari Cruiser has a hanger.
All Galactic Conquest maps work with the mod.

DOWNLOAD VERSION 1.2 HERE: http://www.yagaboosh.com/downloads/SB_Mod_V1.2.rar)

What do you think?
 dookie23
02-27-2006, 9:47 AM
If you need help, i'm here.

Sounds great, never been a fan of ground battles anyway.
 Jay1717
02-27-2006, 11:09 AM
Is it at all possible you could create a 'Auto resolve' only version in which makes it a viable option (ie, Not having a full army of mualers, AT-AT's wiped out by a single plex soldier)
 Three60
02-27-2006, 2:04 PM
Is it at all possible you could create a 'Auto resolve' only version in which makes it a viable option (ie, Not having a full army of mualers, AT-AT's wiped out by a single plex soldier)

I don't know, but I think I'd have to raise the auto resolve health on things, but I don't know enough about it.

If you need help, i'm here.

Sounds great, never been a fan of ground battles anyway.

I'll need some help for sure. If you can model, texture, all of that good stuff that would be great. I can't do it to save my life. And if you can't that's alright, I'll see if you could help elsewhere.
 Adonnay
02-27-2006, 2:29 PM
It would have been nice if you'd given me some credit for the new laser textures. It may not look much but it took some time too... my time ;)
 bobogarcia
02-27-2006, 3:11 PM
Okay, the lag in the galactic map mode is unbearable. the lasers are cool though
 Arc9
02-27-2006, 3:13 PM
No land battles?PITTIFULL FOR CRYING OUT LOUD!!!(no offense,man!)
 popcorn2008
02-27-2006, 3:29 PM
The no land battles of the mod is on purpose Arc9.
 Arc9
02-27-2006, 3:46 PM
Im trying to point out that its pittifull that nobody works hard enough to notice the wonders of land battles.
 Spaxspore
02-27-2006, 3:55 PM
ive tried to notice, but the balancing issues keep me away. FOr example i played a short lan battle with 2 friends 2vs1 (me and a buddy vs a rebeal friend)

We rushed him with 3 AT-ATS ( the battle was the hoth map skrimish), and he destroyed both with just 5 groups of Infantry, not rocket troops just plan blasters...
 Three60
02-27-2006, 3:57 PM
It would have been nice if you'd given me some credit for the new laser textures. It may not look much but it took some time too... my time ;)

I did give you credit. I put you in the readme, where it has credit given to people who helped in any way, you're in there. I even gave credit to EAWFAN who made the no land battles mod for the demo. Without that I wouldn't have bothered.

And I can't see anything good in land battles either, just a big waste of time. And unbalanced.

Oh, and I noticed the slowdown too. Who were you playing as?
 bobogarcia
02-27-2006, 4:10 PM
Rebels. And for some reason, maybe its just me, but there were alot more ISD's than usual. And i noticed that i got one tech level up in an event, which i liked. I agree also. Land battles are not really fun. i only liked them partially because of the locations they had.
 mandead
02-27-2006, 4:14 PM
I did give you credit. I put you in the readme, where it has credit given to people who helped in any way, you're in there. I even gave credit to EAWFAN who made the no land battles mod for the demo. Without that I wouldn't have bothered.

And I can't see anything good in land battles either, just a big waste of time. And unbalanced.

Oh, and I noticed the slowdown too. Who were you playing as?

I dislike the notion of a game such as this having to be 'balanced' in every way. Realistically speaking, what did the Rebels have - be it in the films, games, or whatever - that could seriously compete with the Empire on ground?

They have to be given advantages in other areas. Heroes. Abilities. Speed. Surprise. Quality of units. Those sorts of things.

I think the Legacy of War mod aims to cover these sorts of ideas :vsd:
 Three60
02-27-2006, 6:22 PM
Rebels. And for some reason, maybe its just me, but there were alot more ISD's than usual. And i noticed that i got one tech level up in an event, which i liked. I agree also. Land battles are not really fun. i only liked them partially because of the locations they had.

I think the reason for the slowdown is that the Imps, for some reason, are still building land units. I can't figure out why, I took all ground units out of the scenario. I'll try to fix it in the next update.
 bobogarcia
02-27-2006, 7:16 PM
I think the reason for the slowdown is that the Imps, for some reason, are still building land units. I can't figure out why, I took all ground units out of the scenario. I'll try to fix it in the next update.

Cool. I really like this mod. I think the ground battles got to be a dread.
 Spaxspore
02-27-2006, 9:35 PM
yep :) thankx i need to try it otu when i get a chance
 Three60
02-27-2006, 10:57 PM
The next version will include Kamino for the Imperial mode of Galactic Conflict, and also remove all land units from the others. Sadly I still don't know how to make space stations have the research powers of the Research Center while in the Galactic Map, so all the Imps start at tech 5. And maybe I can add Mustafar... and other planets. Pirates being playable will hopefully come soon too.
 Adonnay
02-28-2006, 12:29 AM
It's a wild guess... but probably (as you already suspected) the AI is still building and still trying to compute landbattles (meaning it's trying to find out where to attack) and getting stuck in some routines because you removed all the ground units. Perhaps you'll have to check somewhere deeper... the AI or something to prevent "thinking" about ground battles too.

PS: If it's in the readme, I apologize. I personally tend not to read them ;)
 Three60
02-28-2006, 12:34 AM
I tried that, it didn't help. And the rebel AI doesn't have this problem. It's just that they aren't turned off, so it can think about them.
BTW, in the next version I plan to make TIE Scouts buildable with a level one space station.
 HomoUniversalis
02-28-2006, 5:35 AM
Just thought I'd report my findings here.. I searched the XML files and came accross 'Tactical_Health' in GroundIndigenous.xml and GroundInfantry.xml . The first for the indigenous species, the second for the Empire and rebellion infantry. I reduced the values there to 10%, except for the wookiees, which I gave, I think 20%, so they last a bit longer.

I'm thinking about increasing the damage output of plex soldiers, and increasing the cost and buildtime of tanks. When we finally get to modify the maps and increase the amount of units on the field, it should allow us to get some big battles going on, where infantry units will actually serve a purpose..
 Three60
02-28-2006, 3:34 PM
Okay.... yeah....
Anyway, here's what version 1.2 should include when it comes out this week:
TIE Scouts buildable at a level 1 space station.
No slowdown at galactic map when playing as rebels.
Imperial AI should build more ships.
All Galactic Conquest maps will work with the mod.
Kamino will be added to the Imperial mode of Galactic Conquest.
Star Destroyers, Victory Cruiser and Acclamator will have unlimited fighters (like the Venator already).

In 1.3 I'll have added hangers to the Mon Calamari Crusier, Home One, and Nebulon-B Frigate. If you think another rebel ship should have a hanger, please don't hesitate to tell me! Also, Mustafar will be added, and will be located near the Vergesso Asteroids (NOTE: This planet is not included in the code! It won't have a ground map for anyone that is wondering this).

1.2 should be ready by the end of this week.
 bobogarcia
02-28-2006, 5:35 PM
I think the rebel assault frigate should also have a hanger and fighters just because its pretty exspensive and powerful
 Three60
03-01-2006, 1:50 PM
Im trying to point out that its pittifull that nobody works hard enough to notice the wonders of land battles.

I just read that again, and I thought of something. I don't actually want to "work" at all at playing the game.

Anyway, the Assault Frigate will have a hanger. I'm going to put the A-Wings on the ships, as well as a few Y-Wings and Z95 Headhunters. The Mon Cal ships will probably not have Y-Wings, and have X-Wings instead.
 Three60
03-02-2006, 10:17 AM
Sorry to double post, but Version 1.2 is out!
What do you think?
 Spaxspore
03-02-2006, 10:25 AM
i liked ver 1, only thing is wish i could have built more then 1 mining on each planet, that or have it produce double what it is.

Ill try 1.2 when i get a chance
 Three60
03-02-2006, 12:43 PM
i liked ver 1, only thing is wish i could have built more then 1 mining on each planet, that or have it produce double what it is.

Ill try 1.2 when i get a chance

I think the same thing, I just didn't remember to add it. They will be unlimited, and space buildings will be at a higher rate (2-3 more then they are now, or something). And I think it will be 4% increase instead of 3%.
 bobogarcia
03-02-2006, 6:23 PM
:clap2: like it. good job
 Three60
03-06-2006, 2:01 PM
Thanks.
Okay, I'm almost ready to release a new update. It will include the Pirates as a playable faction. They will have their ships, up to a level 2 space station, and these new ships: Venator, Z95 Headhunter, Y-Wing, V-Wing, Marauder Cruiser, and I think something else. It should be ready soon. They have one hero, the Virago. Right now it looks like Kyle Katarn, but it still works. It will be released this week.
 dookie23
03-06-2006, 3:10 PM
Sounds good, I just remembered when I played a demo mod they had a problem with power genrators so instead they prebuilt the genrator so you didnt have to do it. Do you think its possible to do this for the research building? Good luck!
 Three60
03-06-2006, 8:18 PM
If it was done, then it should be able to be done, but it won't be here. Unless you think it would work in space so the Imps would be able to level up right.
 Grimscythe
03-11-2006, 10:53 AM
The mod seems excellent.
My only qualm with it is that when I use it the AI seems non-existent.
Help?
 Three60
03-11-2006, 11:58 AM
I'm trying to fix that, I made it more aggressive in the next version.
BTW, I made a new post for my mod here (http://www.lucasforums.com/showthread.php?t=162117). It will have the next version update there, since I finally have a better title.
Page: 1 of 1