Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

Mouse trouble in battle screens.

Page: 1 of 1
 Infamous_Darth
02-22-2006, 1:33 PM
Wondering if anyone has seen this yet.

Right in the middle of playing a space or ground battle the mouse cursor becomes detached from the controller and sticks on the screen. I can highlight certain menu buttons, but the cursor remains stuck on the screen- even after exiting the game! I have to restart my system before I can regain control of the mouse.

The only time this has ever happened on this system is when playing the game. I have tried a logitech G5 laser mouse (USB), with and w/out the logitech software installed and running, and a regular optical generic mouse(PS2). Both do the same thing. I have all the latest patches and updates for windows, VGA, the game, and directx.

anyone got suggestions short of /format-reload. :gun7:
 gswift
02-22-2006, 2:09 PM
Have you tried changing the in-game setting for the hardware mouse cursor? Maybe you have compatibility issue with one of the settings?
 Infamous_Darth
02-22-2006, 2:19 PM
HMMM, didn't know there was a setting for that! I'll give it a try. Thx gswift.
 Infamous_Darth
02-22-2006, 9:41 PM
Yeah, just got home and looked for that setting Gswift, but I have no friggin idea what you are talking about. Where is this " hardware mouse cursor " setting at? couldn't find it under options, least not by that name...
 gswift
02-23-2006, 4:28 PM
Sorry, I'm at work, so I don't have the game in front of me. The wording may not be hardware mouse cursor. I'll look when I get home, in three hours. I looked for this problem in Yoda's help desk and there were several mice that have issues. Also, it looks like the options screen may change depending on what options are compatible with your computer. Maybe you don't have that option.

Here's a quote from Yoda's help desk:
When using an input device with older drivers, your mouse cursor may drift or lose input on the game's menu screens. If this occurs, please download and install the latest drivers available for your mouse from the manufacturer's website.

If you have a joystick or gamepad connected to the system, and you plan to play the game using the keyboard and mouse, you may want to try disconnecting the joystick or gamepad from the system temporarily to see if this corrects the issue. You may need to test and calibrate your controller in the Windows Gaming Options Control Panel to correct this.

Here's another Yoda quote:
If you experience any issues when using a Logitech mouse, we recommend that you install Logitech Mouseware driver version 9.79.1, which may correct these issues.

Maybe that will help. If not, here's a link to the help desk FAQ section, there's lots of stuff about mice and video cards:
http://yodashelpdesk.lucasarts.com/faq.asp?sid=161422060223198070194002&pid=1491&pnm=Star%20Wars%20Empire%20at%20War&seid=4044&pos=Windows%20XP&top=All)

I found a reference to the option I was talking about in the help area. It's called "hardware mouse". It should be at the bottom of the video options. Sorry about getting the name wrong before. :)
 Infamous_Darth
02-24-2006, 9:33 PM
Wow Gary, thanks for the leg work man! I'mnewon these forums and had no idea Yoda did tech support. ;)

I'll look for those drivers in particular. I know I had the logitech software up to date, but now I'm not sure the drivers are in that bundle or not. Got no joystick so thats not the problem.

thanks again man !
 Infamous_Darth
02-25-2006, 11:30 PM
Well as it turns out those drivers do not apply to the G5 mouse, but I tried em anyways. No luck. The only fix I've found so far is to use an old Keytronics 2 button ball mouse ! Yuck! But it works...

Funny thing is I've played over a hundred different games on this system, including all the latest and greatest, with logitech mice of all kinds, and never had a problem like this. I can only blame this obscure issue on the programming of the game developers. Hopefully someone will fix it in a patch, or newer drivers will come alongas well. Guess I'll try again in a few weeks/months.
 gswift
02-28-2006, 12:20 PM
No problem. I always learn something when I try to help someone. I was having some problems myself, so I read almost all of the FAQ's. I was able to resolve my issues (my game issues, but not my personal issues haha).

Sorry to hear you're still having problems. From what I've read, Petroglyph is working on it. I'll bet you'll be able to switch back to your G5 eventually. You're not the only one having trouble with that, so I'm sure it's on the fix list.
 Infamous_Darth
03-01-2006, 2:22 PM
I finally fixed my issues, by switching to another system...
I did eventually find that mouse hardware button though- it was under video options of ALL PLACES!!! didn't fix the mouse drops though. :(
 gswift
03-01-2006, 4:30 PM
I finally fixed my issues, by switching to another system...

I wonder if that would help with MY issues. ...the personal ones. hehe

Funny about the hardware mouse button. I thought you saw my post above that said where it was, so I assumed that you knew where it was. Oh well, didn't fix it for you anyway.
Page: 1 of 1