Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

Ideas for attacking Polus?

Page: 1 of 1
 Goldenshadow
02-18-2006, 9:00 PM
Everytime I attack Polus as the Empire, I end up with massive losses due to the locals. These eskimo jerks have some sort of Ion weapon which disbles any unit they shoot at. The only progress I can make is to use emperor palpatine and darthvader since they aren't affected by the disabling weapons.

Yes before you ask, they even disable stormtroopers somehow.

Even when I had conquered the planet. The rebels counter attacked me but I couldn't move my AT-AT outside of the shield dome in fear of losing them. I basically maintained a wall of fire shooting outwards from the shield and the attacker could not harm me at all unless they walk through the shield.

Once I get the deathstar, this is the first planet I am blowing up.
 Darth Alec
02-19-2006, 8:54 AM
Those guys are truly annoying. But try to be sneeky, go around and take out the spawning buildings, that lightens the job.
 Darth_Fetto
03-07-2006, 10:43 AM
Right, this planet is really a pain in the A***! On hard difficulty I had to load that battle many times. Not quite sure about the reinforcement points at start, if 3 or 4. With Boba as hero in it, it could be good to fly to the 2nd reinforcement spot an take it if possible.

Mainly, at start better using no vehicles bec of the stun thing.

But its massive overrun at start anyway, they come with the public, tanks, artillery and even gliders. Total slaughter!
 MistenTH
03-12-2006, 7:57 AM
You could wait for the death star and blow polus into tinny little bits.
 gswift
03-15-2006, 2:19 PM
The weapon that the civilians are using is called "Pyngani_Carbonite_Gun" in the XML files, so I think it's a freezing effect rather than an ion effect. That's why it works on the troopers. Maulers, troopers, and bombing runs worked well for me on that map. The initial rush is the hardest part. Also, even frozen units can spot for SPMA's
 PoiuyWired
03-19-2006, 1:46 PM
Despit heavy losses, It seems auto-resolution works to your advantage here.
 twin88mm
04-01-2006, 2:08 AM
Here is an easy way to win Polus. I did it with only losing a SPMA, a Repulsor Tank and a Stormtrooper platoon, and that was only becasue I was careless. This is at HARD setting playing empire.

When you start the land battle you begin with an ATAT. Pause the game and drop as many stormtroopers (empty you ATAT), at the same time bring down the Emperor, Vader and a squad of SPMA.

Unpause the game and send the Emperor to south to destroy the Polus houses. Use the emperor to force corrupt the polus and use them to destroy their own houses. Then send the emperor east to the hardpoints there. Send Vader north to cover your north flank. Use him to force crush the oncoming hordes of polus. Send your stormtroopers east to the two hardpoints. Build a repair station on the north point and a bacta station on the south. When the SPMA lands, immediately deploy them. Make sure Vader is some distance to the north of the SPMA so he can engage the polus and rebel troops before they could fire on the SPMA. Likewise with the emperor. Place a group of stormtroopers in front of the repair station and the ATAT behind the repair station. Likewise place a group of stormtroopers in front of the bacta tank. They rebels and polus will engage the stormtroopers first thus allowing the SPMA and ATAT to engage them from a distance and dewstroy them.

This was you can survive and protect your landing base indefinitely with no losses. Remember to bring the emperor and vader back to the bacta station when they are lo on health. Remember to send the emperor or vader into the middle of a group of rebel or polus soldiers before using their special abilities or you might just get a few on the fringe.

Once things have stabilised, send the emperor to destroy the polus houses and take over the hardpoints all over the map. Send a stormtrooper squad to take over the landing beacon on the east and bring in repulsor tanks or landspeeder as scouts into the rebel base.

Send the landspeeder into the rebel base to reveal the map and bomb out the base.

Game over, you've won with minimal losses if any.

You should be able to survive any attacks
Page: 1 of 1