Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

Something Different

Page: 1 of 1
 Beast-Thrasher
02-12-2006, 7:38 PM
I'm not sure if this kinda thread was posted but I was just wondering if perhaps I am the only one who would find it kind of neat if the next K3 had something a little different. Perhaps it's not the thing for RPG's but I would think it would be cool if say K3 had a multiplayer kinda aspect or something. I know that on some other star wars games you can do that but I think it would be nice, the way KOTOR looks and feels is different from the others and I would find it different if you will. Just an idea. So tell me what you think...
 MachineCult
02-12-2006, 7:55 PM
It would just be another Star Wars Galaxies, no-one wants that.
KotORs different enough already anyway.
 Clone L68362
02-12-2006, 8:11 PM
Hey, I made a thread about multiplayer with almost the same title. Heh.

But multi player wouldn't really work. Not for KOTOR at least. There are lots of good MP Star Wars games out there already.
 JediMaster12
02-12-2006, 11:22 PM
I believe there's a general consensus on that. It would be odd that there would be two PCs. It's confusing methinks.
 StaffSaberist
02-13-2006, 12:06 AM
I always had the sickening suspicion that Galacies was just KotOR only multi. I got regular Galaxies but didn't want to spend all that money on expansions, monthly charges, etc., esp. since I wouldn't even use it all that much. I don't have all day every day, you know. =/
 Char Ell
02-13-2006, 12:44 AM
The only way I see multiplayer would work for KotOR is if it morphed into something where multiple players could play different members of the party, you know, like D&D. Still, I don't think this is a tenable idea.
 Canthros
02-13-2006, 1:39 AM
What's so untenable about it?

I mean, ISTR that one of the Obsidian folks talked about co-op multiplay as an option in KotOR2, specifically, they had decided not to do it because of story-related difficulties. Is there any reason to suppose that's an insurmountable problem? (Personally, I don't *care* if the story makes any sense in the proposed situation--it would just be fun. For that matter, I can't imagine it being anything remotely massive--a handful of people, at most.)
 Emperor Devon
02-13-2006, 1:57 AM
I disagree. RPGs are not meant for multiplayer. Adding that feature takes emphasis away from the story. Besides, why ask for a Star Wars RPG with multiplayer? What about Galaxies? There's no need to ruin a good series like KotOR.
 RedHawke
02-13-2006, 2:51 AM
What's so untenable about it?
One word "Galaxies"...

You wouldn't go making a product to directly compete with another of your products... that's just bad business. ;)
 Canthros
02-13-2006, 3:54 AM
One word "Galaxies"...

You wouldn't go making a product to directly compete with another of your products... that's just bad business. ;)
I'm familiar with the idea.

I certainly wouldn't propose a KotOR MMORPG, though (I sincerely doubt I'd bother with such a thing). I was thinking more a set-up that was intended to be run over a LAN or host a very limited number of players. I'd like to be able to share this sort of thing with a limited number of people I actually know, but have a distinct desire not to compete with every nabob on the Internet (I logged too many hours in Tribes2 and ET to feel comfortable with that idea). I have some trouble believing I'm the only person who would shell out good money for something like that while never subscribing to any MMORPG.
 RedHawke
02-13-2006, 4:25 AM
I was thinking more a set-up that was intended to be run over a LAN or host a very limited number of players. I'd like to be able to share this sort of thing with a limited number of people I actually know, but have a distinct desire not to compete with every nabob on the Internet (I logged too many hours in Tribes2 and ET to feel comfortable with that idea). I have some trouble believing I'm the only person who would shell out good money for something like that while never subscribing to any MMORPG.
Would a LAN multiplayer function be cool? Yes it would... but it just isn't in the cards.

The games Single Player RPG format and Galaxies being compitition are the answers why this will never be.
 Char Ell
02-13-2006, 9:47 AM
ISTR that one of the Obsidian folks talked about co-op multiplay as an option in KotOR2, specifically, they had decided not to do it because of story-related difficulties. Is there any reason to suppose that's an insurmountable problem? (Personally, I don't *care* if the story makes any sense in the proposed situation--it would just be fun.The games Single Player RPG format... are the answers why this will never be. I think it's an untenable idea because as RedHawke points out the game is designed for single player. While I'm no programmer it seems to me that designing an RPG story to support both a single player and multiple players would require two different sets of programming. In the case of TSL I think you would pretty much have to throw out the influence system in multi-player. So I say an untenable (not insurmountable) idea because this would create a lot of additional programming work and I don't think there would be much return via increased game sales.

But if you don't care if the story makes much sense then IMO Jedi Academy multiplayer already has that covered. :)
 Cygnus Q'ol
02-13-2006, 9:58 AM
No effen way.
Page: 1 of 1