Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

Stargate and Star Trek Similarities

Page: 1 of 1
 The Source
02-01-2006, 1:00 AM
I a replying to another comment that was made in another thread. However, I think it goes deeper than the thread itself. Stargate stole almost every idea from Star Trek. Can you find the similarities?

With Stargate SG-1 on the verge of becoming the longest-running American sci-fi TV show ever

Well that statement is wrong. Star Trek is longest running SciFi franchise ever. Established in the 1960s. Even though they have multiple spinoffs, Star Trek has about or over 600+ TV hours and ten movies all with the Star Trek lable. Plus, every single thing in Stargate was stolen from Star Trek.

-Teal'c's raising eye brow, which comes from Spock's eye brow raise.
-Teal'c's symbiote (Goul'd), which came from Dax's symbiot. And it is the same type of concept. If Teal'c's symbiot is removed he will die, if Dax's sybiot is removed she will die.
-Teal'c is half alien and half human... Spock was half human and half Vulcan.
-Dr. Samantha Carter is a combination of Scotty and Bones.
-Transporter technology, which originated in Star Trek is used in Stargate.
-Opening credits for Stargate Atlantis was stolen from Star Trek: DS9.
-Having a small craft in the opening credits that pans by Atlantis, was stolen from Star Trek: DS9, which a runabout (shuttlecraft) pans by DS9.
-The concept of seven major characters, and three main characters was a Star Trek idea and major characteristic. Stargate stole that one.
-If you look at Stargate Atlantis' crew uniforms they are identical to Star Trek: Next Generation, Voyager, and Enterprise uniforms.
-Stargate's mirror universe was taken from Star Trek's mirror universe concept.

98% of the show is stolen from Star Trek.
 ET Warrior
02-01-2006, 1:13 AM
First of all, longest running SHOW, not franchise.

Secondly, "OMG DEY STOLE IT!!!11!!!" Guess what? There are no REALLY original ideas anymore, everybodies ideas are based on things that influenced them during their lives.

And your nitpicks are thoroughly superficial and pointless. They have nothing to do with the real core of the show. They stole an EYEBROW raise? Please.

Granted, at the core we're dealing with people exploring. However, Star Trek is mostly in space. Stargate is primarily terrestrial. Star Trek's main goal is exploring space looking for alien races, making contact, etc. Stargate is exploring other planets looking primarily for human cultures, with alien contact less common.

Overall, your 98% assertion is bollocks.
 RobQel-Droma
02-01-2006, 1:14 AM
Wow, striking resemblance, I wonder if any of the other character's eyebrows are similar? :D

I suppose you do have a point with some of them, though, but I'm not really angry or whatever at that. They do have a lot of things that aren't stolen from Star Trek. Besides, it seems like Star Trek has been the better of the two, and more popular (I think), so I don't really care. I suppose people start to run out of ideas after a while.

EDIT: And I agree with whats-his-name (can't remember) said just above me.
 RedHawke
02-01-2006, 1:17 AM
Mac, while I appreciate the sentiments on your part, you are in fact in error about some things.

Fact: Star Trek stole quite a bit from the movie Forbidden Planet

Fact: Teleportation was not invented by Star Trek

Fact: Stargate SG-1 has never been shy about their Star Trek/Wars-isms either, don't go calling a show on borrowing ideas when that show gives more than the proper nods to the shows/movies they are borrowing from.

I can merely point to the episode 1969 for evidence of that... Jack O'Niell's character was captured by the Airforce and the scene is a priceless one, with big nods to both Star Wars and Star Trek.

So calling Stargate on doing the exact same thing Star Trek did in its time is a little pointless.

In all actuality Stargate SG-1 is borrowing heavily from The Wizard of OZ, it is the underlying theme of the show.
 The Source
02-01-2006, 1:32 AM
Oh, don't get me wrong, I like Stargate SG-1. Maybe I should have said, "Stargate and Star Trek are very similar".

I never heard of 'Forbidden Planet'? When and who created it? Do they have it on DVD yet?

I think it is because I am mostly a Star Trek fan. I allways thought Star wars and Star Trek were so different, and they both drove me to SciFi. Because they are unique in their own right, I like both styles of writing and story telling. When it comes to Stargate, I feel more protective over their similarities to Star Trek. I think any hardcore Star Wars fan would feel the same if another franchise used caracters similar to the Jedi in their films.

EDIT::
I just saw some pics online for 'Forbidden Planet', and I do have to say there are similarities. It also looks like some 'Lost in Space' mixed into the 1956 movie.
 RedHawke
02-01-2006, 1:51 AM
Oh, don't get me wrong, I like Stargate SG-1. Maybe I should have said, "Stargate and Star Trek are very similar".
That would have been better yes.

Stargate SG-1 even made quips at MacGuyver, when you see things like this it greatly adds to the level of tounge-in-cheek to the show IMHO. Things like this make the format of SG-1 really stand out to me. I like drama, but a little lighthearted humor, and making fun of yourself help too.

I never heard of 'Forbidden Planet'? When and who created it? Do they have it on DVD yet?
Googled "Forbidden Planet" (http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=Forbidden+Planet&btnG=Google+Search) I don't know but they should have the DVD out by now, the dialogue is a little outdated as it is a 1956 movie, but it is a cool movie anyway. Gene Rodenberry admitted to using ideas/parts from this movie in the original Trek. ;)
 The Source
02-01-2006, 1:55 AM
That would have been better yes.

Stargate SG-1 even made quips at MacGuyver, when you see things like this it greatly adds to the level of tounge-in-cheek to the show IMHO. Things like this make the format of SG-1 really stand out to me. I like drama, but a little lighthearted humor, and making fun of yourself help too.

Googled "Forbidden Planet" (http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=Forbidden+Planet&btnG=Google+Search) I don't know but they should have the DVD out by now, the dialogue is a little outdated as it is a 1956 movie, but it is a cool movie anyway. Gene Rodenberry admitted to using ideas/parts from this movie in the original Trek. ;)
I am going to check that movie out. I think it would be intresting in seeing some SciFi history.
 RedHawke
02-01-2006, 1:57 AM
I just saw some pics online for 'Forbidden Planet', and I do have to say there are similarities. It also looks like some 'Lost in Space' mixed into the 1956 movie.
As Lost in Space came after this movie too, Lost in Space took items from this venerable movie as well, the Robot in Forbidden Planet even made a cameo in Lost in Space, just an FYI. ;)

Robby the Robot from Forbidden Planet has a showdown with the Lost in Space Robot.
 The Source
02-01-2006, 2:03 AM
Forbidden Planet Pic: With a Robot
http://www.imdb.com/gallery/mptv/1362/Mptv/1362/5089_0005.jpg?path=gallery&path_key=0049223)

Lost in Space Pic: With a Robot
http://www.imdb.com/gallery/mptv/1065/Mptv/1065/5095-0004.jpg?path=gallery&path_key=0058824)

Even though they are cheese to what we make today, they are pretty cool in their own right. They have this sense of being outdate, but futuristic at the same time. If I were to see these for the first time, I would thinks they were state of the art. Pretty cool..

I will keep in mind about the dialogue being outdated. However, I won't let it bother my experience.
 RedHawke
02-01-2006, 2:12 AM
Forbidden Planet Pic: With a Robot
http://www.imdb.com/gallery/mptv/1362/Mptv/1362/5089_0005.jpg?path=gallery&path_key=0049223)

Lost in Space Pic: With a Robot
http://www.imdb.com/gallery/mptv/1065/Mptv/1065/5095-0004.jpg?path=gallery&path_key=0058824)
A similar pic means nothing other than Lost in Space was taking that image from the earlier movie in hopes to garner viewers, remember Forbidden Planet came first. ;)
 Aurora Merlow
02-01-2006, 8:09 AM
I agree with everything ET warrior said, and Redhawke is right on about the fact they add a lot of tongue and cheek about star wars/trek stuff. I mean when O'neall wanted to call the X303, The Enterprise, it was funny, i don't think the creators of both star wars\trek would have minded to much about that.
 Darth InSidious
02-01-2006, 9:38 AM
I a replying to another comment that was made in another thread. However, I think it goes deeper than the thread itself. Stargate stole almost every idea from Star Trek. Can you find the similarities?

Well that statement is wrong. Star Trek is longest running SciFi franchise ever. Established in the 1960s. Even though they have multiple spinoffs, Star Trek has about or over 600+ TV hours and ten movies all with the Star Trek lable. Plus, every single thing in Stargate was stolen from Star Trek.

The longest running FRANCHISE, yes, but no single series has ever spanned more than seven years.

-Teal'c's raising eye brow, which comes from Spock's eye brow raise.

Believe it or not, Leonard Nimoy did not invent the concept of raising one's eyebrow.

-Teal'c's symbiote (Goul'd), which came from Dax's symbiot. And it is the same type of concept. If Teal'c's symbiot is removed he will die, if Dax's sybiot is removed she will die.

Ever heard of Synchronisity? Chap called Jung came up with it.

-Teal'c is half alien and half human... Spock was half human and half Vulcan.

Actually, he is a humanoid alien. He was born on another planet. The Go'auld are separate entities.
 The Source
02-01-2006, 10:47 AM
I will disagree to agree with everyone. Everyone does have their own opinion about Stargate and Star Trek. I am willing to bet there are more Star Wars/Stargate fans at this site than Star Trek. I do conceed that Rodenberry borrowed his original concept from Forbiden Planet. I am even going to watch the movie to see the resemblance, and see if there is anything new that I have not seen.

What I have a complex about:
I really do think and believe that Stargate is a complete clone of Star Trek. You take away the Stargate and place them on a ship, and you will have the same concept. Star Trek has allways been about exploring other planets, and other concepts that suround military, literary, and scientific exploration. At the base core, Star Trek is about the human condition. The lexicon of 'What if?'. I do conceed that the 'eyebrow' raising in not very significant; however the entire 'alien/humanoid' doing the 'eyebrow' raise is a clone. I have seen almost every Star Trek episode known to man, and I maybe more aware, then most people, of what has done in the Star Trek series.

If someone were to make a movie or TV series that mimiced Star Wars, would people have a problem with it? Instead of the Force, it would be the Essence. Instead of Lightsabers, there will be Lightemitters. Instead of the Millenium Falcon, there will be the Century Raven. Would people be upset?
 ET Warrior
02-01-2006, 11:06 AM
I think you are wrong about more stargate than star trek fans. I LOVE star trek, I think it's very excellent.

What you're talking about as far as a "Star Wars Clone" is actually just a rip-off. Taking the things in star wars and making them the same but with different names is a far cry from making a show that has a similar premise with completely DIFFERENT details. StarGate is NOT a ripoff. It is clearly heavily influenced, but if you're going to say that any show about people exploring other planets is ripping off Star Trek then you should probably just stop watching Science Fiction because I can guarantee we'll be seeing more shows that involve that concept.
 Darth InSidious
02-01-2006, 11:25 AM
"We could have ham and eggs, if we had ham, and if we had eggs.".

If you turn the TARDIS into an earth ship of completely different shape that is part of a military organisation, if you turn the Doctor into a portly "shoot-first-ask-questions-later" American captain with a wyrd way of speaking, change all the other characters into various almost-entirely American-accented humanoids, put it into colour, take out the time-travel element, change the whole set of technology or rename most of it, and they're identical!

Your argument makes no sense. You might as well claim that 2001: A Space Odyssey is the same as Star Trek: The Motion Picture. After all, they both involve sequences with travelling through the solar system. Or that America and the UK and Canada are all really the same - they speak the same language, after all.
 The Doctor
02-01-2006, 11:50 AM
Everyone should know by now that there is no such thing as an original idea on TV anymore. Anywhere.
 RevanA4
02-01-2006, 11:57 AM
Everyone should know by now that there is no such thing as an original idea on TV anymore. Anywhere.

yeah I if not they are blind *coughneododgingbulletscough*

I love star trek and stargate sg 1 aswell

but truthfull if your gonna barrow ideas why not barrow them from the best XD

and so what its not like SG1 is killing star trek now is it
 The Doctor
02-01-2006, 12:01 PM
^Exactly. Star Trek is killing itself.
 The Source
02-01-2006, 2:50 PM
Star Trek and Stargate Similarities:

Stargate: Stargate Command
Star Trek: Starfleet Command

Stargate: Alien humanoid with host: Teal’c
Star Trek: Alien humanoid with host: Dax

Stargate: Alien that raises their ‘eyebrow’ as a characteristic: Teal’c
Star Trek: Alien that raises their ‘eyebrow’ as a characteristic: Spock

Stargate: Space station in an isolated part of the galaxy: Atlantis
Star Trek: Space station in a isolated part of the galaxy: Deep Space 9

Stargate: Opening credits that have a shuttlecraft panning past a space station: Atlantis
Star Trek: Opening credits that have a shuttlecraft panning past a space station: Deep Space 9

Stargate: Mirrored Universe where everything is an alternate reality.
Star Trek: Mirrored Universe where everything is an alternate reality.

Stargate: Uniforms that look like jump suites with shoulder pads.
Star Trek: Uniforms that look like jump suites with shoulder pads.

Stargate: A team of three to four. One alien and the rest are human.
Star Trek: A team of three to four. One alien and the rest are human: Star Trek the Original Series.

Stargate: A humanoid technological species that goes by the philosophy: Resistance is Futile: The Replicators
Star Trek: A humanoid technological species that goes by the philosophy: Resistance is Futile: The Borg

Stargate: A technological being that has human traits: The Replicators
Star Trek: A technological being that has human traits: Data, Lore, B4

Stargate: The Goul’d Empire
Star Trek: The Klingon Empire

Stargate: A species of honorable people who are slightly barbaric: The Japha’
Star Trek: A species of honorable people who are slightly barbaric: The Klingons

Stargate: An alien species that is omnipotent: The Ancients
Star Trek: An alien species that is omnipotent: The Q & DS9’s The Prophets

Stargate: Shuttle Craft: The Jumpers
Star Trek: Shuttle Crafts

Stargate: Part of the government that gets involved with behind the scene conspiracies: NID
Star Trek: Part of the government that gets involved with behind the scene conspiracies: Section 9

Stargate: Alien species that form a resistance to over throw an oppressor: The Jafa’ from the Goul’d
Star Trek: Alien species that forma a resistance to over throw an oppressor: Bajouran vs. Cardasion

(Sorry if some of my nouns are misspelled.)
 RevanA4
02-01-2006, 2:53 PM
half of those can be said about star wars also >_>
 El Sitherino
02-01-2006, 2:53 PM
Does it really matter?

I mean, if it's enjoyable, I think the least of anyones concern is who they ripped off/referenced/whatever.
 The Source
02-01-2006, 2:59 PM
half of those can be said about star wars also >_>
There are more similarities between Star Trek and Stargate than Star Trek and Star Wars.

Star Trek was out before Star Wars any way.
Star Trek: 1965
Star Wars: 1979
Stargate: 1998ish
 The Doctor
02-01-2006, 3:10 PM
I'm not defending Stargate (as I can't stand the damn show), but it doesn't really seem like they've "ripped off" Star Trek. There are similarities, yes, but there are also similarities between most shows on TV now.

Besides, one could also say that Star Wars is a ripoff of Lord of the Rings. They'd be a dumbass to do it, but they could.
 Darth InSidious
02-01-2006, 6:02 PM
Actually, there are more similarities there than between SG-1 and star trek. And the Bible and SW.
 Rogue Nine
02-01-2006, 6:53 PM
And I don't really understand what the purpose of this whole thing is.
 El Sitherino
02-01-2006, 7:01 PM
Apparently Trek is godlike and even it's utter suckness after TNG cannot undo that.
 The Source
02-01-2006, 7:56 PM
Apparently Trek is godlike and even it's utter suckness after TNG cannot undo that.
You know you are right. God can't bring back Gene Rodenberry.

Sorry to hear that this conversation didn't make sense.

My humble apology, ChAiNz.2da has a point. My comment was rude.
 ChAiNz.2da
02-02-2006, 9:02 AM
Ya know, there's a simple saying... "if you don't like the thread, you can easily ignore it" :rolleyes:

If you don't want to participate in the discussion/debate.. or just don't "get it", then find another thread.. plain & simple..

I've edited a ton of comments from this thread.. so let's stick to the topic from here on out...
 HerbieZ
02-08-2006, 5:28 PM
I just typed a really Stargate favoured reply and my broswer crashed, luckily for me as a fear i would have been banned after my first day of posting on this forum had what i'd been typing got out...

Luckily again i believe i can sum up all the disapointment and blatent copying, shoddy storylines, rubbish acting, poor accuracy and appaling veiwer ratings into just one word.

Enterprise
 ET Warrior
02-08-2006, 5:42 PM
Thank you for bringing up a week old thread that I had really hoped I'd seen the last of.
 HerbieZ
02-08-2006, 7:56 PM
Dude im sorry i just got here and this was the only thread gettin on my tats. :P
 Prime
02-09-2006, 11:59 AM
Page: 1 of 1