Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

Things I'd like to see from EAW2

Page: 1 of 1
 Vermel
01-31-2006, 11:12 PM
Good Evening all.

I just want to go on the record first and say that I really like the demo and I'm enjoying the gameplay. However there are some issues I have and of course everyone will and should offer feedback in a positive and constructive manner. I will add on as time goes by to my list.

1. I would love to see a grouping/formation control that not only links units my number but by formation as well. Some simple command feature that issues formation orders and movements like line abreast or echelon right, wedge...etc I'm no programmer but this should not be to difficult. It gets a little frustrating to constantly manually adjust your force formations in order to maximize group coverage and effectiveness. I hate watching my AT-AT's wonder all over the map like a bunch of Dum A@#!s.

2. Increase the difficulty by tweaking the AI, not by giving the AI damage bonuses. I prefer units to remain as effective as their stats make them regardless of the difficulty level. Right about now in the demo the medium difficulty appears to offer the right amount of balance and feel. If I turn it up to hard I can still play and win no problem but, I lose a lot of finesse especially on the small ground map. For example the small Reb tanks are always useless when I play the Rebs, however when you play the Empire at hard they take way to long to kill, even with an AT-AT.

3. Tone down the corvettes a bit no ships should ever be that effective at killing fighters that's what other fighters are for. This is a pain at most levels, especially at hard, 3 or 4 corvettes will pretty much gut a fleets airwing in one pass. No good. Plus if a large capital focuses all it's batteries on one they should be gone in about 2 mins tops. I wouldn't even mind seeing hardpoints on them as well.

More to come.

Vermel
USN
 popcorn2008
02-01-2006, 6:13 PM
I would agree with your third answer. I would think fighter v. fighter would be more effective than corvette v. fighter. Though I suppose that is what the corvettes are designed for. And it does add a nice challenge :D
 Screed
02-02-2006, 8:55 PM
One thing that I found annoying and in need of extreme fixing is the fact that a corvette can race right through my capital ships and rape my bombers/ground assault shuttles then race out with half their life still intact.

I mean, if a large capital ship targets a corvette with its full compliment of arms, the thing should die in about 4 seconds. Having crovettes to handle fighters is fine, but if a capital ship with turbo lasers targets that thing, it should die real quick.
 Lord_Nexus
02-02-2006, 9:11 PM
I think it is actually balanced. Its true corvettes will kill any fighters really fast but thats why you have capital ship coverage. Its like a circle.

Bombers Kill Capital Ships
Capital Ships Kill Corvettes
Corvettes Kill Bombers

So Petro made it like this to make the game more challenging and more strategic. Anyway thats my opinion.
 rderveloy
02-03-2006, 1:54 PM
Corvettes are also know as "blockade runners" for a reason. They're fast and are desiged to race past heavy capital ships that are blocading a planet. Thus the game does accurately represent their abillity to race past star destroyers that are sitting in formation.

However, I do think that the game has their health and shields too strong and the devs need to weaken their hitpoints and shields just a little to balance it a bit more. The idea should be that they are light and fast because they can't take too many direct hits from large capital ships. That, and/or make the tractor beams stronger. The corevettes seem to be able to keep going even though they're being tractored. Large star destroyers should be able to tractor corvettes if the player is fast enough to target them before they get out of tractor range.
 Screed
02-03-2006, 3:38 PM
Corvettes are also know as "blockade runners" for a reason. They're fast and are desiged to race past heavy capital ships that are blocading a planet. Thus the game does accurately represent their abillity to race past star destroyers that are sitting in formation.

However, I do think that the game has their health and shields too strong and the devs need to weaken their hitpoints and shields just a little to balance it a bit more. The idea should be that they are light and fast because they can't take too many direct hits from large capital ships. That, and/or make the tractor beams stronger. The corevettes seem to be able to keep going even though they're being tractored. Large star destroyers should be able to tractor corvettes if the player is fast enough to target them before they get out of tractor range.

I agree with the tractor beam, a simple solution to a headache in game. Just buff the tractor beam to significantly slow down or stop the target.

Edit: Now that I think about it, buffing the tractor beam isn't a good solution cause as the Rebels you will still have the same problem. My original solution to just give the corvettes an engine hard point would still be a viable solution and it will help both Rebel and Imperials.
Page: 1 of 1