Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

Will EaW work on dial-up?

Page: 1 of 1
 _ TalonKarrde _
01-27-2006, 9:45 AM
I don't know if there is anyone out there who can tell me this yet, but will EaW multiplayer work over dial-up? I have ADSL myself, but several of my friends have it, and I want to know if I'm gonna get a chance to cream them, lol.

~Talon~
 vader815
01-27-2006, 9:58 AM
Most likely not
 _ TalonKarrde _
01-27-2006, 10:01 AM
Yeah, I didn't think it would, but I was hoping someone had seen something solid from Petroglyph or Lucasarts.

~Talon~
 vader815
01-27-2006, 10:30 AM
Usually online multiplayer gaming requires a high-speed internet. Dial-up is usually never mentioned
 popcorn2008
01-27-2006, 12:02 PM
Well most likely it will work with dial up, though it will be very laggy. Before I got broadband I could still play Generals online and it played pretty good. Usually the box of a game will say something along the lines of Multiplayer requires a 56 KB or greater internet connection. If you have a good dial up provider than you should technically be getting 56 KB, so it may work.

We'll have to wait and see but im betting it will work, though it will be laggy.
 Vyraeth
01-27-2006, 2:05 PM
Unless your dial up is 28.8k, the game will definately work in multiplayer -- as Popcorn basically said, however, the question is how well. You might easily experience a greater deal of lag compared to an ADSL connection, but if all you care about is getting it to run -- it definately will.
 Ra2er
01-27-2006, 2:19 PM
56k Dial-up is in the min requirements of the game.
 lukeiamyourdad
01-27-2006, 2:25 PM
They always lower the minimum requirements.

Of course, you can run the game with a very weak computer and a 56K but nobody in their right mind would.

56k dial-up is good for nothing but e-mails and IM services.

Modern gaming on a 56k is suicide.
 Apocalypse|TFL
01-27-2006, 2:33 PM
Highly possible on 56k but you will have to lower your graphic settings (makes a difference with some games) for the game and stick to nothing more than 2v2. 1 v 1 is your best bet. Anything higher than that will simply be unplayable for you and the people you play.
 Steelhed
02-16-2006, 6:22 PM
its been my experience that most RTS games lag a little even when playing LAN once you have so many units built and moving around.. Most likey even a 56K is going to lag like crazy and possibly drop the connection because of such a bad sync.. But thats just my guess, maybe EAW is different than all the rest of the RTS games... Hell, Battlefront 2 surprised me, maybe EAW will also...
Page: 1 of 1