Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

Would you be disappointed if...(a different kind of speculation)

Page: 1 of 1
 IndianaSolo
01-24-2006, 6:06 PM
They did in fact make K3, but made it far into the future and the only mention of Revan, the Exile or the "True Sith" were through passing conversations with various NPCs in cantinas and such, but that the story was completely different and wasn't a continuation of K1 and K2?

Or, in your mind, is the only way it can be called Kotor3 is if they continue the story from the previous two games?
 Vladimir-Vlada
01-24-2006, 6:24 PM
I would stop wasting any of my time with KOTOR if they do that. I think that I don't need to elaborate why.
 90SK
01-24-2006, 6:26 PM
No way. I'd still play it, maybe. But frankly, I want to see how this story ends.
 IndianaSolo
01-24-2006, 6:35 PM
I would stop wasting any of my time with KOTOR if they do that. I think that I don't need to elaborate why.

I'd like you to elaborate, actually.

Do you play the KOTOR series because of the Revan storyline? Or because it's a fun game set in an interesting part of the Star Wars timeline?
 Vladimir-Vlada
01-24-2006, 6:55 PM
Do you play the KOTOR series because of the Revan storyline? Or because it's a fun game set in an interesting part of the Star Wars timeline?
Both.

Didn't I already say this somewhere?
 90SK
01-24-2006, 7:03 PM
I don't think he's going to slog through hundreds of threads just to learn your history. ;)

If it were set in the "Sith War, -4000 year era", I would play it, probably. Revan/Exile storyline strongly preferred.

I want to see the current story finished first. If there was a KotOR-esque game dealing with Exar Kun etc., I would grab it, but not in the stead of a final KotOR game, you know?
 Young Outlaw
01-24-2006, 7:45 PM
I don't want it to be a continuation of the first two. I would rather have a party member, who is an old jedi who in his youth battled the true Sith, tell you tales of revan and exile. I want a completly new story. That would also be good for people who play kotor 3 without playing the first two. Finding out what happend to them should be a optional side quest.
 90SK
01-24-2006, 7:49 PM
^ Why would it battle the True Sith if it wasn't in relation with the first two? I mean, if they just drop the storyline from KotOR II, there are going to be some angry fans (myself included).
 Vladimir-Vlada
01-24-2006, 7:52 PM
(myself included)
Not to mention me.
 FiEND_138
01-24-2006, 8:38 PM
No way. I'd still play it, maybe. But frankly, I want to see how this story ends.
Full agreement.
 IndianaSolo
01-24-2006, 9:09 PM
At this point I'm not sure how disappointed I'd be. I think as long as I get resolution to the Revan/Exile story, I'll be fine, even if it's just through vague conversations.
 SITHSLAYER133
01-24-2006, 9:24 PM
id prefer not to hear through convos but to actually see it through my own characters eyes
 Blaze629
01-24-2006, 11:36 PM
I'm with those who want to see how the story from the first two continues/ends. The drama has been built up for a reason I would think. It would be a travesty to not go through with a conclusion or another continuation.
 Hallucination
01-25-2006, 12:49 AM
I would be very disappointed if they did that. I don't want to hear about Revan/the Exile from a bunch of sad-drunks. I want to find out the old-fashioned way: wading through hordes of enemies, talking to party members, quests, and meeting them.
 Prime
01-25-2006, 11:11 AM
I don't really care if KOTOR 3 is related to Revan or the Exile.
 JediMaster12
01-25-2006, 11:14 AM
I would be very disappointed if they did that. I don't want to hear about Revan/the Exile from a bunch of sad-drunks. I want to find out the old-fashioned way: wading through hordes of enemies, talking to party members, quests, and meeting them.

I always liked killing the enemy. However hearing the story is half the game. Maybe parts could be told from people who served in the Mandalorian Wars. The thing about the Exile would be more recent so there are younger characters to talk about it like the kids whose mother needed a starport visa on Onderon. A thought.
 Vaelastraz
01-25-2006, 2:27 PM
Rather than discovering Revan dead in Kotor III i want it to take place 40 years after TSL.
And if you think about it Revan will most likely be dead if there will be a Kotor III. If he was male female players would be annoyed... if he is asian euro/american ppl are... and so on.. but then again if he isnt in the game 98 % of Kotor players will be annoyed.. phew that's quite a problem.

I want a nice Kotor exactly how u described it IndianaSolo, because i cant imagine a you-can-choose-everything-u-did-in-both-games-Kotor
 XoRRoX
01-25-2006, 3:44 PM
I would like the ending of the "Revan and Exile" story. But - when the story is over, then they could make a totally new game :)
 The Source
01-25-2006, 4:58 PM
I'd like you to elaborate, actually.

When I personaly play the KotOR series, I was more intrested in establishing a story for my own character. KotOR I was great in this manner. If a company designed the next KotOR 3 about twenty years after Revan, I would definately play the game. At the end of KotOR I, I thought the conclusion of Revan's tale was clear. When I started to play KotOR II, I thought the same technique would be used. Otherwords, you travel the galaxy piecing a puzzle, which is related to your personal PC. Unfortunately, KotOR II was still about Revan.

I would love the chance to play a KotOR 3 that was based on an etriely new character who had no affiliation to the Exile or Revan. I thought in the first place that KotOR I and II should have been stand alone complex games.

NPCs talking about Revan? Well, maybe a few of them, but not the entire galaxy. If they create a game on a brand new idea, then having any comment about Revan would be shortsighted.

Just my opinion...
 Clone L68362
01-25-2006, 5:19 PM
Then I'd play it, then wait for a good mod to come out that can give us something better.
 Macro
01-25-2006, 6:06 PM
I think that the whole KotOR series have been built around the whole story of Revan/Exile storyline. It would be wierd to see a new game with an entire new scenario with little or no mention of the old storyline. They would totally have to re-think every single aspect of the game. If they had to re-think the whole storyline it might end up not as pleasing as the original two games. Lots of people who enjoyed the first two would want to see a continuation of the storyline. Maybe a whole new storyline would bring more excitement and different styles of gameplay. In the end, I would still end up playing the game without a doubt.
 stoffe
01-25-2006, 6:20 PM
I wouldn't mind if it was a new story in KotOR3 with only some vague ties to what has happened in the past games.

As I see it, the story of Revan got closure at the end of KotOR1. Not much in the way of loose threads there.

And the story of the Exile got closure at the end of TSL, if you disregard the silliness Kreia says about chasing after Revan into the unknown on some fool's errand for no discernable reason. (Which my Exile woule never do. Better to stay behind and rebuild the Jedi order and stabilize the Republic, seeing as you're supposed to be the last trained Jedi alive. Not a task you'd just entrust to a reformed Sith and a bunch of neophyte force users who have little to no knowledge about the Jedi aside from how to swing a lightsaber.) :)

I don't see how the current story line could continue anyway. Both Revan and the Exile are much too powerful to be player characters again (unless they pull the tired old amnesia trick...). And since they have no fixed appearance or gender, they are ill-suited to appear as NPCs as well, since it would make a lot of people (myself included) feel disconnected from the story with a "Hey, that's not the Exile!" reaction.

How would you base a story around two characters with no fixed appearance, no voice, no gender, no personality? And who could have been either light or dark? :)
 JediMaster12
01-25-2006, 6:36 PM
Welcome to the forum Macro.
@stoffe-mkb- I would think that the Exile would go to find Revan. After all it was part of T3's mission to return from the Unknown Regions and find help. He came in search of the Exile, one who knew war. He could have easily chosen Kavar who also knew war but I think it had to do with the fact that the Exile knew of what was to be faced. I know it sounds dumb that he didn't stay and help rebuild the Order but Kreia did say that the Jedi you train were the Lost Jedi. As for the fixed appearance thing, LA may come up with that later.
 The Source
01-25-2006, 6:40 PM
I wouldn't mind if it was a new story in KotOR3 with only some vague ties to what has happened in the past games.

As I see it, the story of Revan got closure at the end of KotOR1. Not much in the way of loose threads there.

And the story of the Exile got closure at the end of TSL, if you disregard the silliness Kreia says about chasing after Revan into the unknown on some fool's errand for no discernable reason. (Which my Exile woule never do. Better to stay behind and rebuild the Jedi order and stabilize the Republic, seeing as you're supposed to be the last trained Jedi alive. Not a task you'd just entrust to a reformed Sith and a bunch of neophyte force users who have little to no knowledge about the Jedi aside from how to swing a lightsaber.) :)

I don't see how the current story line could continue anyway. Both Revan and the Exile are much too powerful to be player characters again (unless they pull the tired old amnesia trick...). And since they have no fixed appearance or gender, they are ill-suited to appear as NPCs as well, since it would make a lot of people (myself included) feel disconnected from the story with a "Hey, that's not the Exile!" reaction.

How would you base a story around two characters with no fixed appearance, no voice, no gender, no personality? And who could have been either light or dark? :)
Out of the mouth of babes... I love it.... I agree 100%.
 Point Man
01-26-2006, 3:15 PM
I will play KotOR III if it looks like the game will be fun, no matter what the story or timeline is. The game does not have to fulfil all my desires in order for me to enjoy it (if that were possible, anyway).

That being said, I do hope it will continue the path it has started. If KotOR II had started a new story and left Revan's story to end at the end of the first game, I would have been happy. Now that the Revan story has been continued without, IMHO, a satisfactory resolution, I would like to see it continued in KotOR III.

That's the danger of taking up someone else's work. It builds up expectations that you cannot always meet. It's especially true with Star Wars, where the fans (me included) invest of themselves into the story and almost take ownership of it. So, where are my royalties?...
 stoffe
01-26-2006, 3:41 PM
Welcome to the forum Macro.
@stoffe-mkb- I would think that the Exile would go to find Revan. After all it was part of T3's mission to return from the Unknown Regions and find help. He came in search of the Exile, one who knew war.

So because a droid (who may have been reprogrammed by just about anyone it has encountered, Kreia or the "true sith" for example) tells you that you (for unspecified reasons) must abandon the ailing Republic and a Jedi Order in dire need of rebuilding, and go off into uncharted territory to find a person you served under 10 years ago, who went to great lengths to ensure that no one would follow, the Exile would do it? :)

Wouldn't it be awfully convenient for those mentioned "true sith" to send back Revan's old reprogrammed droid to gather up the remaining scraps of the Jedi and send them off into a trap so they might be wiped out once and for all? :)

(Trap or no, barring a railroad plot my Exile would certainly stay behind, help the Republic get back on its feet and use the bunch of "potentials" she had gathered on the Ebon Hawk to help rebuild the Jedi Order. That seems much more urgent and important than going on a wild goose chase into the unknown after a Revan who may or may not be happy to see you, if still alive.

Fortunately the ending sequence only shows the Ebon Hawk leaving the planet with no certain mention of destination. It could be en route to Coruscant just as much as it could be headed to "The Unknown Regions", so we can choose whichever ending we prefer. :) )
 RobQel-Droma
01-26-2006, 3:55 PM
I wouldn't like it. No way.
 MachineCult
01-26-2006, 3:58 PM
I would defiantely be disappointed, but I would still play it. I think the game will probably be a continuation from K1 and 2 though.

RobQel-Droma, I've just noticed the text under the picture in your sig is a quote from Star Trek Voyager which actually works quite well when thought of in terms of the characters from KotOR.
 Jeremia Skywalk
01-26-2006, 4:02 PM
kotor2 had a great idea how to hide the thing about the need of face editing of revan, and so, besides i would love a game not directly related to kotor's 1 and 2 beacause if you dont have any background you can once again do almost anything what u want. Or something like that, but no i wouldn't be dissapointed at all.
 The Source
01-26-2006, 4:04 PM
So because a droid (who may have been reprogrammed by just about anyone it has encountered, Kreia or the "true sith" for example) tells you that you (for unspecified reasons) must abandon the ailing Republic and a Jedi Order in dire need of rebuilding, and go off into uncharted territory to find a person you served under 10 years ago, who went to great lengths to ensure that no one would follow, the Exile would do it? :)

Wouldn't it be awfully convenient for those mentioned "true sith" to send back Revan's old reprogrammed droid to gather up the remaining scraps of the Jedi and send them off into a trap so they might be wiped out once and for all? :)

(Trap or no, barring a railroad plot my Exile would certainly stay behind, help the Republic get back on its feet and use the bunch of "potentials" she had gathered on the Ebon Hawk to help rebuild the Jedi Order. That seems much more urgent and important than going on a wild goose chase into the unknown after a Revan who may or may not be happy to see you, if still alive.)
Oh... I completely agree. The Exile has a chance to rebuild the Jedi Council. He/she could take steps in securing the future of the Jedi. If the 'True Sith' came back into Republic space, there would be a force to deal with the threat.... That is so logical.

If your Exile ended on the darkside, why leave a broken Jedi Council and Sith Academy behind. It would be foolish for a Sith not to take advantage of this opprotunity. He/she could take over the galaxy by training nieve Jedi in Sith teachings. He/she could have Atris run the Sith Academy, and together they could rule the world. I would destroy Malacor V, so no one else would use its remain, and I would bring the rest of the Sith archives to the Telos Academy. Since you kill off the Jedi, I would also take a trip to Dantooine to destroy the temple. Turn it to ashes, and take the remaining Jedi archives as well. 'Know they enemey..." Korriban would also be demolished, so no one else would use its power. The Telos Acedamy is isolated in the artic poles of Telos. You can see your enemy coming at all angles. Kooriban as too many angles for an attack...Hehehe...

I thought it was shortsighted that the 'Exile' was shown going off to the Unknown Regions... There is too much opportunity for power in Republic space. He/she could have changed the future by sticking around... Why follow Revan? If I was a Sith, I wouldn't want to be someone elses Apprentice. If I was a Jedi, I could prepare for the upcoming threat.
 Vaelastraz
01-27-2006, 12:37 PM
I agree completely with everything stoffe -mkb- says.

Kotor I is a great story. Revan's fate seemed to be clear.
Kotor II's story wasnt bad either, but Revan and the Exile dont really fit together... IF a sequel is made to a game, in a rpg you should be the same PC.

I want a new Kotor, new characters, new threats... why not uhm.. 60 years after TSL.
 JediMaster12
01-27-2006, 6:20 PM
Quick and to the point I see. Well to counter that 60 years later, a definite no. The story has to be finished. stoffe-mkb- is entitled to her opinion and makes a valid point about the possibility of reprogramming a droid but then why the holovids of Bastila or Carth? It's very hard to tamper with a recorded hologram, I know I've tried it and the droid threw my hydrospaner back at me. Somehow I buy the idea that the Exile was one who understood war even though Kavar did as well and knew of the mysterious presence in the Unknown Regions. If you follow through the story concerning that final meeting on Dantooine, the Exile first felt it at Duxn and Malachor was the final blow. I know that he turned from the Force and lived because, as Kreia said, he was afraid. He felt the evil through all those deaths.
 Darth InSidious
01-27-2006, 6:27 PM
Never, and would spit at the mere mention of it.
 RobQel-Droma
01-27-2006, 7:00 PM
RobQel-Droma, I've just noticed the text under the picture in your sig is a quote from Star Trek Voyager which actually works quite well when thought of in terms of the characters from KotOR.

Yeah. It is kind of a longer version of what Kreia says, actually. The Doctor posted it when he asked me if I was a Trekky, and I like the quote- so I kept it. It's kind of blurry though, I'm going to upload a new version.
 Point Man
01-28-2006, 11:14 AM
I know that he turned from the Force and lived because, as Kreia said, he was afraid. He felt the evil through all those deaths.
Something I have noticed on this and other threads is that people are willing to believe almost anything Kreia says. I believe almost nothing Kreia says. She was a master manipulator. She would tell you she was a purple Hutt with pink polka dots if she thought you would believe it and it advanced her desires. You cannot just accept what Kreia said as fact. She never truly understood the Exile because she was looking at him from her warped point of view.

I don't think the Exile turned from The Force because he was afraid. I think he turned away because he needed time to heal. His ability to form such strong bonds with others caused him to feel unimaginable pain over all the deaths at Malachor V. Separation from others is a normal response to grief. For the Exile to separate himself from The Force which allowed him to form these bonds and feel such pain is completely understandable. He needed time to be alone and deal with his grief. He may not have consciously separated himself (hence the "Why did you separate me from The Force?" questions to each of the Masters), but he did it just the same. However, once he had time to heal, he saw, as we do once we have healed from our grief, that isolation is worse than loss.
 Sith_Reven
01-28-2006, 5:50 PM
If the last game was what the original post said. I would rage and probably destroy it. I would go mad. But really it would be quite dissappointing and I might not play it. It can't end that way. Kotor is a big storyline split into two so far and hopefully three. This is how I see it.
Kotor 1 is about Reven, Kotor2 is about the exile but it explains alot about Reven and his choices and the things he promised to do like make war again and the exile is suggested to go and do battle with him at the end. Kotor 3 I imagine will involve both Reven and the exile fighting together. It is logical progression. This idea in the beginning would be a foolish thing for the devs to do.
 Vibro
01-28-2006, 6:05 PM
They did in fact make K3, but made it far into the future and the only mention of Revan, the Exile or the "True Sith" were through passing conversations with various NPCs in cantinas and such, but that the story was completely different and wasn't a continuation of K1 and K2?

Or, in your mind, is the only way it can be called Kotor3 is if they continue the story from the previous two games?

If they do make a K3, I'm 99.9% sure it will followthe Revan/Exile story, even if you don't get to play aseither of the characters. However, if they did do that I'd probably still play the game but I'd be quite disappointed.
 Young Outlaw
01-29-2006, 10:49 AM
Originally Posted by JediMaster12
I know that he turned from the Force and lived because, as Kreia said, he was afraid. He felt the evil through all those deaths.

When I played the game Kreia said you cut yourself from the force because you had no other choice, not because you were afraid.
 Jeff
01-29-2006, 3:10 PM
I'll play the game no matter what part of SW history it is part of.
 kotorfan84
01-29-2006, 3:58 PM
I would be very disappointed, but would probably get the game anyway. I'm cool with them jumping far into the future after this story has been completed (hopefully the same developer will continue the story each time), but I want to see the story unfold before me, and be able to decide it's outcome. This is part of why I believe part 2 was lacking (apart from what they left out). Although the story tied together, the fact that Revan had no influence in the game really was disappointing to me, and I hope part 3 ties everything together. After that I could care less what time period the use.
 The Source
01-29-2006, 4:52 PM
Ah, now to create some more intresting thoughts. In order to continue the story, one would have to answer:

1. Did KotOR 1 have a clear ending? Yes.
2. Did KotOR 2 have an actual ending? Yes.

I hear an argument allready... Hehehe...

KotOR 2 had an ending? Yes it did. It is as clear as day, but it is all in dialogue. Whet made the game feel like a cliffhanger was not contributed to 'Cut Content, but the expectation of an dramatic and cinematic ending. KotOr I was all epic at the end; however, KotOR II was completely dialogue.

There is a clear and clean ending to KotOR II, and Kreia told you how it all unfolded. If you missed any dialogue in your conversation with her, you would have missed the entire ending. There was closure. It is there, but people don't want to believe it. People are also blind because it says Star Wars on the package.

Revan's 'Star Forge' story ended in KotOR I. There is only one cliff hanger to this game, and it was, "Where is Revan"... The Exile's existance is meaningless, and Kreia made that quite clear:
PC - What about me me?
Kreia - Are you looking for a dramatic revelation, or some conclusion of self importance? There is none. You are what you are, and no one can take that away from you. You just are...

Kreia (Earlier) - You are an end to the Force. You are an echo.

I could point out more to the Exile, but he/she was just a side track. The character has no place in the 'Unknown Regions', or even any where for that matter. Regarless about your existance at Malacor V, you are not important to the series.

Obsidian Entertainment wanted to continue the Revan story without the PC being Revan. One of their flaws was trying to avoid telling Revan's story straight out. It was as if Obsidian had absolutly no direction, so they took bits and pieces from KotOR I in an attempt to be successful.

If it wasn't for the fact that the 'Cut Content' was advertised, people would not be giving Obsidian Ent excuses for a poorly executed game. At the end, I bought a completed game. Even without the 'Cut Content', Obsidian's editing and writting crippled this games potential. Regardless about time restraint, it was Obsidian's choice to edit the game in this manner.

If there is to be a KotOR III, I would be open to a new story that is a 100 years earlier or later than Revan's. Playing a game that takes place before Revan would be intresting, and it will still bring my intrest to the table. Or, they could create another KotOR, but 3,000 years before Episode III. Eitherway, I will have a potentially fun game, which will no doubt maintain my intrest. But not on blind faith. I think KotOR II is a mess, and the faster a third comes out the better we all are going to be...
 Jae Onasi
01-30-2006, 12:44 AM
I'd play the game whether or not it involved ties to the first 2 games, as long as it was a fun RPG game with a good story. I'd prefer to hear _something_ that tied up some of the loose ends of the other stories, but I could deal with it not there. I can always resort to my own imagination to finish the Revan story the way I want, anyway. :)
 JediMaster12
01-30-2006, 4:54 PM
Kudos to Jae Onasi. I think most of us have our own ideas as to what happened to Revan and the Exile. Still I would like to see how LA says what happened. In a way, it would give a nice flourishing end, the way Star Wars is.
Page: 1 of 1