Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

My personal thoughts about the demo

Page: 1 of 1
 Breiti
01-20-2006, 7:21 AM
1) too small, too small, too small !!!! Why do I have to download 750 MB if I only play 15 minutes ???? I cant make up my mind about this game within that timespan.

2) Graphics : Very good. Well, not as good as AoE3 but still very good

3) Sound : Very good. Nothing to complain

4) What I really dont like is the fact that I cant build a base on planets like in all the other RTS games. Personal thoughts, yes but still I think there is something missing in the game.

Please release another demo with more playing time !!!!!
 Scarlet
01-21-2006, 7:13 AM
On the contary, I think removing the ability to build a base makes the game much more fun! Now the game focus is on pure stratergy, not who-can-whore-the-most-resources-and-spam-AT-ATs ...
 jedi3112
01-21-2006, 11:45 AM
I agree, mostly on 1 and 4. Also I took a look at the rebel techtree, and I seriously hope that's not all of it. Otherwise they seem very limited on ships as well as ground troops. I think 20 different units for each combat should be the minimum.

So far there's:
2 types of fighters
1 type of bombers
Correlian Corvette
Correlian Gunship
Marauder Corvette
Neb-B
Neb-B crashed into MC cruiser like thing,
MC cruiser

And that's about it. Maybe I forgot 1 or 2, but it's still not anywhere near 20 types. And some of them may not be different from others, just upgraded versions. As there are only a few buildable.

I also don't like the idea of buildspots. I hated LOTR:BFME for it. They also seem to be placed on somewhat illogical places.
 Darkfyre
01-21-2006, 8:18 PM
Ships do add up to twenty I think, just as a total not as a per side thing.

Rebel space forces are:
Z-95 Headhunter
T65 X-Wing
Y-Wing
CR90 Correllian Corvette
Correllian Gunship
Marauder Corvette
Nebulon-B Frigate
Assault Frigate
MC80 Mon Calamari Cruiser

Nine units in the demo, you also gain access to the A-Wing with the hacks, so ten for Rebels.

Imperials will be having:

TIE Fighter
TIE Scout
TIE Bomber
Acclamator Cruiser
Victory-class Star Destroyer
Imperial-class Star Destroyer
Tartan Patrol Cruiser
Broadside Cruiser
Interdictor Cruiser
IPV 1 Imperial Patrol Vessel

Ten Imp ships. Fairly balanced group, but while neither side has 20 types, combined they add up to that total.

As for the build spots... done well they can work, to be honest though, I prefer Birth of the Federation's five resource building types which needed human resources, then a series of other buildings which had limits per system or per empire. Just works better for me, but then I probably see things that way because of some of the crud Rebellion used to pull by killing not only my buildings but my already limited amount of building slots when certain events went down.
 lukeiamyourdad
01-21-2006, 9:56 PM
What I really dont like is the fact that I cant build a base on planets like in all the other RTS games.

All other RTS? I think not.

Rome: Total War (http://www.totalwar.com/community/rome.htm)
 jedi3112
01-22-2006, 5:35 AM
Ships do add up to twenty I think, just as a total not as a per side thing.

Rebel space forces are:
Z-95 Headhunter
T65 X-Wing
Y-Wing
CR90 Correllian Corvette
Correllian Gunship
Marauder Corvette
Nebulon-B Frigate
Assault Frigate
MC80 Mon Calamari Cruiser

Nine units in the demo, you also gain access to the A-Wing with the hacks, so ten for Rebels.

Imperials will be having:

TIE Fighter
TIE Scout
TIE Bomber
Acclamator Cruiser
Victory-class Star Destroyer
Imperial-class Star Destroyer
Tartan Patrol Cruiser
Broadside Cruiser
Interdictor Cruiser
IPV 1 Imperial Patrol Vessel

Ten Imp ships. Fairly balanced group, but while neither side has 20 types, combined they add up to that total.

I did mean types of units per side. And I think 10 is not enough. and I don't mean 20 is the absolute minimum, but just a guideline. A unit more or less doesn't make any difference. I think there's too much of a gap between the normal cruisers and the really big ones (such as the ISD and the MC 80). There should be something like an MC 40 or a Dreadnought in between.
 Breiti
01-25-2006, 2:23 AM
OK, youґve found another RTS that has no base building.

But Itґs just a fact : Base building is fun ! :)

Thatґs what is like in games like wc3, aoe3 : Building my base and having to defend it. Yes thats one of the mayor points: The panic in your ees, when someobe destroys your newely build factory.
 clone_troopa
01-25-2006, 2:51 AM
OK, youґve found another RTS that has no base building.

But Itґs just a fact : Base building is fun ! :)

Thatґs what is like in games like wc3, aoe3 : Building my base and having to defend it. Yes thats one of the mayor points: The panic in your ees, when someobe destroys your newely build factory.

Well if you don't like it don't play it. Most strategist prefer a battle with logical placed/built buildings rather than a box that is built in 10 seconds by a guy with a hammer and 20 wood O_O.
 jedi3112
01-25-2006, 7:34 AM
But if you want them to be logically placed, you will have to place them yourself. I should be able to construct some buildings that will keep my dropzone save. As well as to pick where I want them
 wedge2211
01-25-2006, 9:50 AM
There is no army in existence that mines resources and builds itself a factory or barracks on the battlefield. They go into battle with the forces they have, and come out again at the end with whatever's left. At most, they put up some tents for field triage or command posts. Resource-harvesting and base-building are the most unrealistic and tedious aspects or RTS games--I'm really glad to see a game with the persistent forces and tactical focus of Empire at War.
 Jan Gaarni
01-25-2006, 10:39 AM
Another RTS: Ground Control.

No base building.

I like this. It takes away the tedious base building while in combat.

However, I do wish I had abit more to say where buildings went, but I guess I'll just have to trust my architects and builders working under me. ;)
 Darth Scaer
01-25-2006, 11:13 AM
There is no army in existence that mines resources and builds itself a factory or barracks on the battlefield. They go into battle with the forces they have, and come out again at the end with whatever's left. At most, they put up some tents for field triage or command posts. Resource-harvesting and base-building are the most unrealistic and tedious aspects or RTS games--I'm really glad to see a game with the persistent forces and tactical focus of Empire at War.

Very well said. I am very encouraged by the focus of EAW as well. Dawn of War was on the right track when they dumped the traditional resource model, which brought me back to the RTS genre.
 sven8136
01-31-2006, 1:20 PM
I think base building is more than being able to just produce units. Being able to set up walls and defensive structures would be nice. (I am aware they can be built on preplaced pads..but thats just not dynamic enough for me)
Page: 1 of 1