Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

Intel graphics card

Page: 1 of 1
 CIAop
01-13-2006, 10:10 AM
I apologize if this has been answered in other threads but I looked around and couldn't find an answer. I have fairly new Gateway laptop which meets all requirements of the game except the T&L capability. It has one of those, not so spectacular, Intel graphics cards. here is my question. My computer can play C&C Generals, Call of Duty I and it has played a Rome Total War demo I downloaded. It plays them all smoothly. I've read that some games that say T&L is required don't actually check for it on the computer when the game is installed. In other words, I've heard some graphics cards can fool the game into thinking its got T&L. Does anyone have any insight into whether EAW will check specifically for T&L capability? Since my computer runs Rome Total War and Generals can I assume it will run EAW? I realize this may be impossible to answer without the game or demo being out. Any insight is appreciated. Thanks in advance.
 DS_Vespidbat
01-13-2006, 5:10 PM
well most games dont check it like RC or AoW.but i had to upgrade my graphics,i had intel too, to a GeForce FX 5500 oc and i think this game will be able to play with intel but might be difficult.just to be safe i prefer to upgrade ur graphics ;)
 CIAop
01-13-2006, 6:38 PM
well most games dont check it like RC or AoW.but i had to upgrade my graphics,i had intel too, to a GeForce FX 5500 oc and i think this game will be able to play with intel but might be difficult.just to be safe i prefer to upgrade ur graphics ;)

Well I would updgrade it but I have a Gateway NOtebook and you can't upgrade the graphics card.
 vader815
01-20-2006, 6:09 PM
does Intel(R) 82852/82855 GM/GME have T&L capability
 DarthMaulUK
01-20-2006, 6:26 PM
This means that you have an onboard videocard on your motherboard and not a separate one.

Problem with these are:
You have a small amount of memory on this kind of chips + it's likely that the memory it has, is shared memory, this means that the graphics chip uses your RAM memory.

Simply put, you don't have the minimum requirements needed (graphically) to play this game.

DMUK
 PygmyShrew
01-23-2006, 7:02 AM
While it is technically not supported, the game should still run on this card, do not expect greatly detailed textures and gameplay though!

Note: others have managed to get this game working on there Intel Onboard Video cards although there have been problems, it is entirely possible.

"does Intel(R) 82852/82855 GM/GME have T&L capability"

Ive skimmed through the cards datasheet but couldnt find any references to T&L:(
 CIAop
01-23-2006, 10:06 AM
I've checked. My Intel card does not have T&L capability. However, it does still run the game but as you stated, with lower graphic quality. In another post on a similar topic I included instructions on changing the setting of this card to increase the capability a little. Also, I noticed that the space battles seem to run much smoother if I set the game speed notch to the second from the left slot.
 vader815
01-23-2006, 4:31 PM
this applies to anyone with an intel card:
get at least 512MB of RAM
you can then get optimal performance for EAW
 CIAop
01-23-2006, 9:39 PM
My laptop (Intel graphics card) has 480mb ram. So if I expanded the RAM with another 512 or 1Gig can I expect better performance? I'm sure this is a no s*** question but I'm not that knowledgeable about computers. Thanks.
 PygmyShrew
01-24-2006, 6:43 AM
CIA, you may experiance a performance boost but that ram wouldnt improve the texture quality/special effects youd see.
 vader815
01-24-2006, 7:56 AM
Thats if he keeps the specs low
 CIAop
01-24-2006, 1:10 PM
CIA, you may experiance a performance boost but that ram wouldnt improve the texture quality/special effects youd see.

Thanks for the info. I can live with less than complete textures but I can't deal with slow frame rates and choppy game play so I think getting a RAM upgrade would help that.
 CIAop
01-25-2006, 2:10 PM
It appears that I only have one point on the bottom of my notebook where I can replace, not add, a RAM expansion chip. So does this mean that if I buy a 1Gig RAM upgrade it will be replacing my 512mb ram card or adding on to it? Either way, I should get faster gameplay, right?
 vader815
01-25-2006, 4:06 PM
It appears that I only have one point on the bottom of my notebook where I can replace, not add, a RAM expansion chip. So does this mean that if I buy a 1Gig RAM upgrade it will be replacing my 512mb ram card or adding on to it? Either way, I should get faster gameplay, right?

If you add the 1gig RAM to the empty slot than, yes it will add on, the 512mb RAM card will only be replaced if you take it out. Thats at least what I have heard. And yes you will get faster gameplay and will be able to put detail at max level with very little to no effection
 _ TalonKarrde _
01-25-2006, 9:44 PM
I have an Intel card in my laptop, I turned everything up, and it runs fine. I have a 1.4 Centrino with 512 ram, if it matters.
 flcherb
01-29-2006, 3:35 PM
My laptop also has the intel chip in it and it works. i have 768mb of ram inside the laptop. i have turned all of the graphical options to low and it works fine. it still looks ok just not as good as my main pc with the geforce 6800GT with all setting on full. the ram matters to becuase it will make to game run slower if you dont have much and the graphics chip is crap.

hope this helps.

herb
 CIAop
01-31-2006, 1:29 PM
Thanks for the advice. So getting more ram will make the game run smoother even with the integrated Intel card? I have two 256mb cards (one is replacable). will replacing one of these with a 512mb ram card (resulting in 768mb total) be enough to improve game speed or should I splurge for a 1gig card (totalling 1,256mb of ram)??? Just trying ot decide if its worht the money to buy the 1 gig expansion card.
 flcherb
02-09-2006, 12:26 AM
Depends on the price. If its not to much more i wold get the 1 GB but 512 should be fine.

Herb

It works for me. :@)
 CIAop
02-09-2006, 1:04 PM
Thanks. Already bought the 1GB. It seems to have increased frame rate and performance quite a bit. Although, I'm still getting very choppy play on the ground battles. This kind of worries me too because the battles I've had have not been that big. I'm hoping its just an issue with the demo and accompanying mods. I'll find out when I get the game.
 vader815
02-10-2006, 8:20 AM
you may need the graphics card for the land battles
Page: 1 of 1