Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

File names

Page: 1 of 1
 mjpb3
01-02-2006, 7:55 PM
is there a limit on how long a file name can be?

I am trying another head mod and the portrait name seems awful long, but I had to make it long to match with the mdl file, but for some reason my head isn't showing up like it should, and I know I've done everything right, so I was curious about the file name length...

Thanks!
 Det. Bart Lasiter
01-02-2006, 9:31 PM
You could try changing the name of the model, it can be whatever you want it to be. Try naming it 'test' and see if that works.
 Achilles
01-02-2006, 9:42 PM
I recall hearing 12 (or was it 16?) characters being bandied about quite a bit. Is your file name longer than that?

I hope that helps.
 Det. Bart Lasiter
01-02-2006, 9:55 PM
I believe that's for resource file names. It's due to the KEY file (http://torlack.com/index.html?topics=nwndata_key) resource data structure. The name of the resource is represented by a 16 character string.
 Darth333
01-02-2006, 9:59 PM
no more than 16 characters and make sure there are no spaces.

Only letters, numbers and underscores are allowed.

edit: jmac beats me :p
 Fred Tetra
01-02-2006, 11:15 PM
Also, that limit applies just to the file name, not including "." or the extension, IIRC.
 mjpb3
01-02-2006, 11:20 PM
shoooo... the name I am using is EXACTLY 16 characters long, so that wasn't it...

it turned out that I had forgotten to rename my mdl and mdx file to the file name of the first tga I am using. It works now...

Now I just have to TWEAK! LOL!

I'm glad I figured that out, I was starting to go buggy over that silly head model ;P

Thanks everyone for your help ;)
Page: 1 of 1