Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

Modelling Help - Gmax Exporting

Page: 1 of 1
 GrimShadow
12-27-2005, 11:17 PM
I've been away from KotOR 1/2 for about 10 months now. So I decided to get back in to modding or at the very least - messing around. Just decided to try and download all of the files over again and try to change to the color of a lightsaber to being with. I didn't have any problems using nwmax to import the acsii mdl, or in changing the blade colors. The problem is just that when I try to export the model to mdl, I see the process running in the lower left hand corner and then it says the exporting is done, my only question is: Where? I checked the gmax default export path as well as the path with all of the files, but nothing had been added to either one of them.
 T7nowhere
12-28-2005, 12:16 AM
If you want to change a lighsabers color all you need to do is load it into mdlops and use there renamer function to change the texture reference. There is a readme of how to use that function that comes with mdlops.

As for exporting models from gmax, only use the the export button thats on the modifier tab when the AuroraBase is selected. Do not use the export function that on the NWmax rollouts.
 Kha
12-28-2005, 7:17 AM
Don't forget to open Gmax using the NWmax icon to start the Snoop script too, otherwise you will have to copy/paste the information from the listener window to create the file.
 GrimShadow
12-28-2005, 7:34 PM
Ah, thanks T7, forgot about the renamer function.

Also, I assume the AuroraBase is the blue square in the scene, but when I click on it, the only thing in the modifier list is 'Dummy', not AuroraBase like I've seen in a few screenshots...Peculiar

Oh, and lastly - Yes, I do use the nwmax.exe file and not the gmax.exe file. Oh and yes, NWmax Snoop v0.7 is running on my windows toolbar.

EDIT: Ok, the problem might be because I imported the model using the 'Import MDL' rollout and not the 'MDL Loading' rollout. When using the MDL Loading rollout, I get an error: -- Unknown property: "rdo_options" in Rollout:ImportRollout
 T7nowhere
12-28-2005, 11:18 PM
The arora base is the blue square and for lightsabers would be named w_Lghtsbr_001(depending on the color you imported), its not the blue cubes.

To import a file you need to use mdlops first to decompile the model into ascii then you import that by using the MDL rollout on the NWmax panel. I'm not sure what that error is, I've never seen it before.
 GrimShadow
12-28-2005, 11:29 PM
Yup, I thought that was the AuroraBase, Just has the Dummy Modifier, and not the AuroraBase modifier. No doubt that is because I imported it improperly.

I'll try uninstalling and reinstalling both programs and see if that helps.

EDIT: Now that I think about it, would it be possible to import through the Import MDL rollout, delete the AuroraBase, and recreate it with the correct AuroraBase modifier?
 T7nowhere
12-29-2005, 12:35 AM
Ya, I think you could create a new aurorabase, I've never tried it with a model that has animations though, so you will want to make sure that you link everything properly to it. It might work if done properly, but still it's more work than needs to be done.

Anyway the aurora helpers are on the create tab->helpers .
 GrimShadow
12-29-2005, 12:43 AM
Yea, I tried it and got the model in game. The only thing is the half-way (visable only from certain angles) visable blade that is always out, and a few apparently neglectable weld errors in the sanity check. I'll have to read up on the cause of that again.

EDIT: The problem I'm having is the one seen Here (http://www.lucasforums.com/showthread.php?t=150185)
 T7nowhere
12-29-2005, 2:00 AM
Do you mean the weld errors that you get while using NWmax 8, where it says something like 'not all verts are welded to the nearest cm" . I thats it then you can just turn off that sanity check. If you had all you verts welded then your UVmap with stich back together and your texture would be distorted.

I'm not certain what you mean by "half-way visable blade", but you do know how to properly compile the model using the replacer function? The model will not compile properly if you just use the read and write model button.

If not then you should re-read the replacer tutorial included with mdlops and part 3 of this tutorial http://www.lucasforums.com/showthread.php?t=143805).
 GrimShadow
12-29-2005, 12:13 PM
No, the weld errors occur when exporting, and they are entered in the sanity check results as (along with the long list of verticies):
###### Vertices in lshandle01 need to be welded
###### Vertices in plane240 need to be welded
###### Vertices in plane241 need to be welded

The half-way visable problem can be seen in the post I had linked to (http://www.lucasforums.com/showpost.php?p=1835835&postcount=4)

EDIT:

Also, if I take the w_lghtsbr_001 from kotor tool, open it up in nwmax then:
1. Take note of anything linked to the old AuroraBase (only Dummy01)
2. Delete the old AuroraBase,
3. Create a new one (w_Lghtsbr_001 like the old one)
4. Relink Dummy01 to the new AuroraBase.
5. Export the model through the new AuroraBase

I still get the sanitycheck error just like on my own model, but it does export, and the hilt looks just fine in game. The only problem is the blade, which looks just like the images shown in the post I linked to above this edit.
 GrimShadow
12-29-2005, 2:04 PM
Ok, I just decided to uninstall and switched to NWmax .7 instead of .8. I was able to import using the 'MDL Loading' rollout unlike before, and now The AuroraBase shows up with the AuroraBase modifier and not the Dummy modifier. I'll have another go at modeling a saber and see if it works this time.

EDIT:
Yup, everything works just fine now. There must be some sort of problem with the .8 version. Thanks for the help.
Page: 1 of 1