Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

Spit and polish...

Page: 1 of 1
 stingerhs
12-22-2005, 2:42 AM
okay, i think most of us have seen most of the general ideas about the storyline, the RPG engine, graphics, some gameplay characteristics, etc. now, how about some of those little touches that just make things nice and polished out. an example would be the option to flip up/flip down the hoods on the Jedi Robes in Kotor 2 (which, although promised, never reached the final game).

to start things off, here's a couple of suggestions (and some of them might be from some of you guys, but i'll just call them 'good ones' and be done with it):

1. vary the fighting animations. you don't have to add feats, just add a number of different animations for each feat/fighting style to give things a more visual appeal.

2. give us some more models for the different kinds of swords/sabers. different skins for each one is nice, but lets take it to the next level.

3. more in-depth character customization at startup that would give us much more options as to character appearance. and to add on to this, it would also be a nice touch to be able to add tattoo's during the course of the game as well.

4. have NPC's react to your characters appearance based not only on the way your PC is dressed but also on the more personal side from scars, darkside transition, tattoo's, etc.

5. vary the NPC models. i'm actually getting pretty tired of seeing clones running around all the time in both Kotor games. it would be nice to see all characters having a unique appearance, but if not, then at least vary them out a bit better so i don't see 2 or more clones in one frame.

6. give us some more alien spoken dialogues that are more situation based than the 15-16 generics that we've had with the first two games.

anyways, just remember that your ideas don't affect major aspects of the gameplay. ;)
 Darth Windu
12-22-2005, 5:23 AM
All good ideas, I like them. :)

I should point out though that gameplay improvements, a good story and a non-rushed game do come higher on my priority list though.
 Cygnus Q'ol
12-22-2005, 10:01 AM
Assuming all other priorities are covered, I would very much like to see a diversity in Jedi robes. Different colors or maybe just more shades of the standard browns, blues and greens. It would be nice to have a better selection earlier in the game.

Varying the appearances of the NPCs is a necessary change. Does everyone in the galaxy wear the same make of clothes? Good one.

A few extra animations wouldn't hurt either, but that's not as important.

Customization of character, weapons and equipment is key to the unique experience. I wouldn't mind seeing some more options for these.
We've beaten this taun taun to death in other threads. But, I'll say it again.
Yes, to customization!

I agree that details and whistles & bells are important, but not at the expense of rushing a bad game to the shelves. Story and gameplay are paramount.
 Aayla Secura
12-22-2005, 3:11 PM
My biggy would be the customization of the character. We should have a lot more choices for what they look like, what skills they have, etc.

Another would be fighting. I kinda like what they already have (chose what move from the screen adn let them fight), but why not let us actually fight them? In the game, you would sometimes miss the enemy when they are right in front of you! This might not happen if we had to fight with a combination of buttons rather than clicking to choose.
 Kain
12-22-2005, 3:51 PM
They need to get those guys from City of Heroes to develop the engine for PC creation.
 RobQel-Droma
12-22-2005, 4:24 PM
I suppose all of those would be nice as little additions to the game.
 Aayla Secura
12-22-2005, 4:26 PM
Maybe they can put in better graphics... Not that the graphics aren't good enough for me. It's just you can improve on them...
 Soogz
12-22-2005, 4:44 PM
I like all of those editions...
 Aayla Secura
12-22-2005, 4:48 PM
I like how in Galaxies you can choose a different species. Why not put that in KOTOR 3? That was pretty neat.
 JediMaster12
01-19-2006, 4:10 PM
Some of those ideas are good especially the one about the clone NPCs. I wondered if people sprouted twins when I wasn't looking.
 Jae Onasi
01-19-2006, 5:52 PM
I like all of these.
I'd also like a good soundtrack. Some of the music in both games was great, some of it was really boring.
And just because I'm a weather geek, maybe some different weather on the different planets. At least on Dxun it rained....
 JediMaster12
01-19-2006, 6:40 PM
You're right because not everything is nice and sunny.
 REDJOHNNYMIKE
01-20-2006, 2:21 AM
@Stinger, I like the tat option, Fable did that well, and to a certain extent npc recognition (attractiveness, scariness, alignment) those attributes would work well with kotor and other items as well.
Why not take another little tidbit from fable, shaving, it would be cool to grow your beard and hair out and then cut them short whenever you feel like it.
 Aurora Merlow
01-20-2006, 7:28 AM
Why not take another little tidbit from fable, shaving, it would be cool to grow your beard and hair out and then cut them short whenever you feel like it.

I like. It's game 3 so they have to take things to the next level. It was good how your appearance changed with allignment but other improvements to appearence would be great
 MdKnightR
01-20-2006, 7:54 AM
I like how in Galaxies you can choose a different species. Why not put that in KOTOR 3? That was pretty neat.

Not only that, but the way you can customize hairstyle, skintone, height, weight, and facial features. That was the only thing I liked about Galaxies. These improvements would be well welcomed in KOTOR 3.
 Prime
01-20-2006, 9:19 AM
I'd like to see something like NWN where you have much more camera control and the ability to position yourself in combat.
 Cygnus Q'ol
01-20-2006, 9:27 AM
I'd like to see something like NWN where you have much more camera control and the ability to position yourself in combat.

Absolutely. Maybe even some kind of zoom function. I bored quickly just spinning around watching combat.
 Lantzen
01-20-2006, 11:36 AM
Dont know if you say this but, nr4 on stingerhs is in the game, not so much but it still there. If you go to Onderon you can talk to one of the guard and he ask you about your darkside transation, and i think there is 1 more that ask about it. But you maybe thoght about something like in Fable, people curst you if you are evil.
 Det. Bart Lasiter
01-21-2006, 8:17 PM
A new type of UI, I suggested the radial menu from NWN in a different thread, I for one got the hang of it quickly and it keeps things organized. And... a f***in' toolset!!! That's one of the things I hate about LucasArts, and the KotOR series, they've gone out of their way to make the game harder to modify and it's shown; look at all the cut content from KotOR 2!
 stingerhs
01-21-2006, 11:29 PM
Dont know if you say this but, nr4 on stingerhs is in the game, not so much but it still there. If you go to Onderon you can talk to one of the guard and he ask you about your darkside transation, and i think there is 1 more that ask about it. But you maybe thoght about something like in Fable, people curst you if you are evil.the point is that reguardless of your appearance, most NPC's don't take your appearance into account. just imagine how it would be if your appearance alone could intimidate someone into doing what you want. or just the rabble in the streets reacted to your appearance. remember how things changed in the first game on Taris whenever you were wearing the Sith Armor?? that's pretty close to what i'm suggesting. ;)
 REDJOHNNYMIKE
01-22-2006, 2:03 AM
Or you could walk into a pub sporting a bright chest plate, pimp hat, and avo's tear and everyone applauds you:lol:
 Sabretooth
01-22-2006, 2:28 AM
While most of you guys have caught my "final touches", here are some you've missed:

*Better and more mini-games (see mini-game thread)
*The option to flip hoods in Jedi Robes
*Destructible Enviornments (crashing pillars, explosive barrels, bending pipes and shafts etc.)
*More Feat/Combat Variety
*Environment-Exploiting Force Powers (whirlpool in water, storm outdoors, exploding rocks etc.)
*More Freedom and lesser use of good/evil stereotype
 xmovingpicturesx
01-22-2006, 6:44 AM
It would be nice to see character customization like that of Fable, paired with the combat system like that of Jade Empire. Added customization options for just hairstyle and facial hair alone would be good enough. The tatoo system would probably carry some problems. What if you get a crazy full-body sith tatoo, then decide to move to the light? Battle wise, four different combat styles could be used (hand-to-hand, lightsaber, ranged, and force.) Strong attacks for each style, excluding force, as each button/key could be mapped to a different power. Also, switching from hand-to-hand to weapon would look amazing if done right in KotOR.
 Darth InSidious
01-22-2006, 9:57 AM
All good ideas, I like them. :)

I should point out though that gameplay improvements, a good story and a non-rushed game do come higher on my priority list though.

For once, I agree :)
 JediMaster12
01-23-2006, 12:03 PM
Oh my. Somebody bring out the champagne! Darth InSidious has agreed without insulting someone!:) Kidding aside I do like the option of the NPCs reacting to you based on alignment and what you are wearing. That one I would definitely like.
 Cygnus Q'ol
01-23-2006, 12:53 PM
It would be nice to see character customization like that of Fable, paired with the combat system like that of Jade Empire. Added customization options for just hairstyle and facial hair alone would be good enough. The tatoo system would probably carry some problems. What if you get a crazy full-body sith tatoo, then decide to move to the light? Battle wise, four different combat styles could be used (hand-to-hand, lightsaber, ranged, and force.) Strong attacks for each style, excluding force, as each button/key could be mapped to a different power. Also, switching from hand-to-hand to weapon would look amazing if done right in KotOR.

While I don't mind seeing some character customization and upgrades in that area, I don't fancy changing the combat system.

There are many threads on this Idea, please check them out. Most don't want it to change. I'm one of them. No button mashing here please.
Turn style IS Kotor.
 XoRRoX
01-23-2006, 1:10 PM
When you are going the space suit on Peragus, it looks rather stupid. But it isen't the biggest mistake :)
 Sith_Reven
01-23-2006, 2:07 PM
The kotor games are about the storyline. The little details are not neccessary but it would be cool to have face customization like hair color, skin, eye color and scars, maybe based on the soul calibur 3 character creator. The game npc's will still react to your darkside/lightside choices and appearances. The games developers might go further indepth with the characters choices
 Cygnus Q'ol
01-24-2006, 8:36 AM
I wouldn't mind seeing a little more depth at the reactions and other interactions with npc's.

Obviously, not everyone, but, if they're going to put the time and effort into having your appearance change, then there should be more of a reference to that in the game.
 JediMaster12
01-24-2006, 1:55 PM
That I like with NPCs having a better reaction to you. The one thing that would be neat is to have the Jedi hoods flip up an down. The up could help with stealth or something.That would work especially on Tatooine.
 Cygnus Q'ol
01-25-2006, 9:23 AM
Yes, a usable hooded robe is a great idea. Perhaps even requiring a level of stealth to utilize.

I just hope they do the robes a bit better than TSL.
 Prime
01-25-2006, 11:07 AM
A new type of UI, I suggested the radial menu from NWN in a different thread, I for one got the hang of it quickly and it keeps things organized. Definitely. I think it is a great system, and it makes things very easy.

And... a f***in' toolset!!! That's one of the things I hate about LucasArts, and the KotOR series, they've gone out of their way to make the game harder to modify and it's shown; Something like the NWN toolset would be awesome, but there are legal reasons why this didn't happen with KOTOR.

I'd also like to see the inventory weight system from NWN used in KOTOR. I makes it more realistic...
 Jeremia Skywalk
01-26-2006, 4:27 PM
I would like a cross like scar on my eye, not actualy damaing the eye, u know, that would be cool face custumization option- yeah someone alredy mentioned- scars. I realy loved the new workbech from tsl, it made skills a lot more usefull. And also some cool wookie character with some kind of axe. Oh this all have been done in ts, so i realy don't know. Just well... I hope that they actually make that game and make it before year 2115. And well, i hope they make some desert to finish off the huge meal of kotor 3, (i am so bad in those)
 Clone L68362
01-26-2006, 6:22 PM
Those all sound like simple things, I definitely agree.
 ForceFightWMe12
01-26-2006, 7:22 PM
All great ideas. I do like the idea of having the NPCs react to your style of cloathing and appearence. Though, unlike in Fable, I think that, once you become known enough or are simply scarey enough, the NPCs will know enough to clear the hell out of your way, and not boo and hiss at you. That would be awesome. And great for the ego :xp:
 Jeff
01-26-2006, 8:45 PM
I definitely like all the clone appearance ideas. Something that I think needs to be added is a force power to throw objects as seen in the movies. This kind of goes along with the destructable environments idea.
 JediMaster12
01-27-2006, 11:28 AM
I've seen games where you can Force Throw objects at the enemy and it has a nea effect. I've played Ep III for XBox, rules!!, and I found it useful. My only question would be is will it stay within the parameters for a D20 game engine and a RPG combat system?
 HerbieZ
02-08-2006, 9:09 AM
Personally, for a finishing touch to the game, i would like hilt customisation. Other items include other races besides human (i always related to the ithorians) and segmented clothing. Segmented clothing meaning armour that is in different pieces instead of one big suit. The majority of the armour you could wear in kotor always looked the same as the next one with exceptions. I would like it if you could like wear armour legs but a Jedi robe over them. Giving you more encumberance but reducing the effectiveness of force powers such as Lightning.

Other than all of that, i believe there should be no radical changes to the game engine.
 theeautomator
02-08-2006, 9:58 AM
I agree with all of those suggestions. You've pretty much listed all of the things I wanted to see in the previous two games.

It would also be nice to be able to react to the world environments more.
 Jaraen
02-08-2006, 10:10 AM
I would like to see that you wear the saberhilts on your waist like in the Movies. Swords on your back and pistols on your waist too.
Its so anyoing to see the weapons everytime in the animations or in conversations.
 JediMaster12
02-08-2006, 11:07 AM
So you're going for a realistic look in carrying a weapon, like Jedi having it on their belts when not in use? That could be cool. I thought it kind of silly that the PC would hold it and it looked like it was barely holding onto the thing, at least until combat.
 HerbieZ
02-08-2006, 5:38 PM
Reminds me of Hanharrs floating sword of doom. I think it's his left hand or right hand.
Page: 1 of 1