Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

hey fellas!

Page: 1 of 2
 evulkhuul
12-15-2005, 2:50 AM
Hello dear Grim Fandango fans!

I'll start to play the game tonight and just wanted to drop and say hey to you all!
Previous time when I tried this game I was stuck in the point just in the beginning where you should've done something with balloons and that stuff from cemetary or sumtin. I'm not kinda sure cause it was way too long time ago.

But anyways - let's hope that I'll make it this time and if I won't I'd like you guys to help me.
Cheers!! :sithk:
 Shuz
12-15-2005, 6:12 AM
Ah, to play GF for the first time again. I'm jealous.
 evulkhuul
12-15-2005, 6:38 AM
By the way - have you fellas ever played this game called Monkey island?
I think that I'm gonna buy that one next. :)

Some say that it's wicked fun
 Manny C
12-15-2005, 6:49 AM
ahh le mojuste
 Thrik
12-15-2005, 8:15 AM
Yeah, Monkey Island is quite possibly one of the first games that I ever played -- a complete classic and highly recommended, with the possible exception of the fourth (Escape from Monkey Island).

I can seriously sympathize with Shuz's jealousy, though. :(
 VampireNaomi
12-15-2005, 8:40 AM
I hope you enjoy the game. And welcome to the forums, too. :)

I can seriously sympathize with Shuz's jealousy, though.

Me too. Especially since I was so young and stupid that I played the game with a walkthrough in my hand. Great way to kill some of the fun.

Evulkhuul, don't make the same mistake, no matter how tempting it may feel at some points.
 Manny C
12-15-2005, 8:41 AM
yeah no kidding, walkthroughs are the worst
 evulkhuul
12-16-2005, 4:16 AM
I played the game yesterday and already got stuck in that part where you'd do something with those balloons and that filler or sumtin... well I'll think of the problem tonight and let's hope that I'll manage to get by this point. cuz the game looks awfully khuuL in my opinion.

By the way, is there going to be GF 2 or what? I'd love that(though I'd play this one trough first :D)!

I'm tempted but still shall I fight against those walktroughs xD
 VampireNaomi
12-16-2005, 9:22 AM
No, I don't think we're ever going to see a GF2. It's up to you to decide whether that's a pity or a good thing.
 evulkhuul
12-19-2005, 6:17 AM
well that ain't so hard question to answer - I want to see the part two :(
 VampireNaomi
12-19-2005, 7:52 AM
I've already said it to another new member, but I'll say it to you too. Stick around these forums for a while and the regulars will soon turn you into an anti-sequel person. ;)

Or you could be one of the brave ones who keep their mind.
 Charie
12-19-2005, 8:16 AM
Hi, evulkhuul.
First complete the game, then make up your mind about sequels :).
That's too perfect a story to make some serious continuation. It ends right where it has to - and it's a sublime example of a thing called 'an open ending'. It would be ruined if the author's not some Genius Extraordinaire, which happens, unfortunately, kind of rarely.

By the way, walkthrough is a Blessing if you are stuck in the same place for a whole month:). Some things just aren't obvious enough to find them in a period of a week, as usually:).
 El Virus
12-19-2005, 8:58 AM
Welcome, Charie & evulkhuul.

I've already said it to another new member, but I'll say it to you too. Stick around these forums for a while and the regulars will soon turn you into an anti-sequel person.
You still resented for that? ;)

If LucasArts was to release a second GF (not a chance in a million), I would rather see a re-realese of the first one. But this time with a better publicity campaign; more accessible places, like visiting Puerto Zapato, or knowing more of El Marrow; and a point n' click interface (I'm not too fond of them, but too many people were disappointed by the lack of it).

By the way, walkthrough is a Blessing if you are stuck in the same place for a whole month
Walkthorughs are great, a least better than posting at the help center, and waiting for a reply. But they are not to be abused (well, it depends on the way you want to play it, if to follow the story or to solve the puzzles).
 Charie
12-19-2005, 10:48 AM
more accessible places, like visiting Puerto Zapato, or knowing more of El Marrow
These are golden words!
Though this is certainly not necessary, game fans would perhaps kill for it, figuratively speaking.
Take that parade in El Marrow! Well, for me, when I finally figured out I can't get there, it became some sort of a symbol of unfortunate souls being trapped in the Land of the Dead. I remember feeling such a longing, hearing the merry music and realizing I'll never be able to participate in the festivity.

Yay for more locations, characters and their side-stories, design and music! :)

a point n' click interface
Could you please explain the term?
I didn't have any problems with the controls when played. ...But, well, that was all new back then.

to follow the story or to solve the puzzles
These shouldn't go separately, that's what adventure games are for. Puzzles evolving out of the story, and vice-versa.
 VampireNaomi
12-19-2005, 12:38 PM
The only way I'd like to see a sequel is that it would tell about a new cast of characters, perhaps with a cameo or two by some old-timers -- Eva, for example. But I've already said that elsewhere, too.

Could you please explain the term?

I'm doing good ol' Virus' work for him. ;) That term is used for mouse-controlled games in which you just point at the desired object and click. It's a lot easier and more comfortable than keyboard control, in my opinion.

Strangely, just few days ago I was wondering whether it would be possible to create a point & click patch for Grim Fandango. You know, some clever fan could create something that would make the game playable with a mouse without destroying the original interface.
 Charie
12-19-2005, 2:46 PM
VampireNaomi,
But I've already said that elsewhere, too.
I didn't hear it, for one, so very nice of you to repeat you opinion.
And thanks for doing El Virus's job, too:). Though I disagree with you on that matter. I don't play games anymore, but earlier, when I did, I happened to really like keyboard controls. For the games where you're allowed to move freely wherever you want, mouse seems somehow inconvenient to me. Well. What I meant was: it's nice sometimes to let go of the mouse:).
 El Virus
12-19-2005, 4:02 PM
Same here. I don't like Point and click inetrfaces taht much. For instance, Sam and Max's one was quite confusing for a newbie like me. However, on keyboard controlled games like GF, it gets a bit difficult to control.

These shouldn't go separately, that's what adventure games are for. Puzzles evolving out of the story, and vice-versa.
Actually, I'm more of a story person. Some games have puzzles which require you to leave the context of the story, and you may get lost. But Grim Fandango ain't one.
That's pretty much why I have cheated at every game I have played (except LucasArts adventure games, on which you cannot die).
 Charie
12-19-2005, 10:49 PM
I'm a story person too, naturally. I love rational puzzles, though - when you can actually think and come to some conclusion, without walkthroughs.
As for GF, I would have never ended it without help. My father solved El Marrow's tube-transfer, I looked up Rubacava's photo puzzle (kitty-track tickets) and End of the World's crane in the Internet. Maybe something else, I don't really remember. I don't know what I hate more: cheating good games or desperation from being stuck in the same place forever. Either way I feel incredibly stupid.
 VampireNaomi
12-20-2005, 9:01 AM
I didn't hear it, for one, so very nice of you to repeat you opinion.

I hope I didn't sound irritated in my response. GF2 is a subject that I'm always ready to talk about, but since we've had so many threads about it already, it might be the best to take the possible discussion to one of them.

For instance, Sam and Max's one was quite confusing for a newbie like me.

Oh yes, definitely. That game had one of the most annoying interfaces I've ever tried.
 Charie
12-20-2005, 11:52 AM
VampireNaomi
You didn't sound irritated at all. Where you?
I fully realize I'm new here and a lot of things were already discussed numerous times. It's always sort of embarrassing to be a novice [for me].
 VampireNaomi
12-20-2005, 1:01 PM
No, I wasn't irritated, but once I went through the response in my head I realised it may sound so.

I think it's good to go through some old topics in new threads every once in a while. There are only so many GF related things to talk about, after all. And new people bring new views.
 El Virus
12-20-2005, 10:18 PM
As for GF, I would have never ended it without help. My father solved El Marrow's tube-transfer, I looked up Rubacava's photo puzzle (kitty-track tickets) and End of the World's crane in the Internet. Maybe something else, I don't really remember. I don't know what I hate more: cheating good games or desperation from being stuck in the same place forever. Either way I feel incredibly stupid.

I'm even worse. I got stuck at the elevator, knowing what I had to do; I checked every single strategy guide, and then gave up. After 4 years of not playing it, I heard about the patch, and installed it. Then I won the game in a breeze. For the sake of story following, I rather cheat than get stuck.

Oh yes, definitely. That game had one of the most annoying interfaces I've ever tried.
Full Throttle's was no cup of tea either.
 VampireNaomi
12-21-2005, 12:28 AM
Hey, both of you! You can't beat me at being pathetic. Check this out: After getting Manny into the Petrified Forest I realised what a fabulous story the game had. I was so eager to see the plot develop that I pretty much gave up on solving all the puzzles on my own because I wanted to see what would happen next. Pity that I had to ruin my first time (heh) to see the error of my ways.

Full Throttle's was no cup of tea either.

Curse of Monkey Island had the same interface and strangely it didn't bother me there.
 Charie
12-21-2005, 10:47 AM
VampireNaomi
There are only so many GF related things to talk about, after all.
That was never a problem for girls, for example, to talk about boys :giggle1: .

After getting Manny into the Petrified Forest I realised what a fabulous story the game had.
Oh? I realized what a fabulous story GF is the moment I've seen Sal :).
Why do you say you had 'ruined' your first play? Cheating doesn't mean learning the plot in advance.

El Virus
Four years - that's quite a period of time. Enough for a soul to complete a journey :).
The time I played my computer wasn't fast enough for me to have such problems.
 VampireNaomi
12-21-2005, 11:50 AM
Why do you say you had 'ruined' your first play? Cheating doesn't mean learning the plot in advance

I think I would have got more out of it if I had solved the puzzles myself. Also, I rushed from one puzzle to another and missed all kinds of extra dialogue and musings the first time around.

I'm going to do some thread hijacking here and ask who your favourite character is.
 El Virus
12-21-2005, 12:19 PM
Curse of Monkey Island had the same interface and strangely it didn't bother me there.
I never cared to play the MI series. Now, The Dig has a neat point n' click system.

I'm going to do some thread hijacking here and ask who your favourite character is.
Hadn't the thread been hijacked already?, don't worry about it.
 VampireNaomi
12-21-2005, 1:41 PM
Now, The Dig has a neat point n' click system.

Been a while since I last played that, so I can't remember it too well. However, the best interface I've seen was in the first Broken Sword game. Talk about simple and user-friendly.
 Charie
12-22-2005, 12:33 AM
VampireNaomi
I rushed from one puzzle to another and missed all kinds of extra dialogue and musings the first time around.
I suppose I see what you mean. I remember myself desperately trying everything on everything/everybody in vain attemts to move at least a bit further in the plot. :)

You know, this is a VERY difficult question. Much easier to say who's not my favourite character :). However, if pressed, I'd vote for Salvador as my 'favourite favourite'. Like Eva, I've always had this thing about noble men :).
 evulkhuul
12-22-2005, 2:39 AM
First of all I must say that you guys sure seem to be true HC-forumйs!! :)

I'd say that I prefer the point n click games.. don't ask me why, I just feel that it fits with this puzzle thing 'cuz that way you can concentrate to the story more than if you played like in GF.

At this point, answerin to Naomi's question, I'd say that Manny's da man :D!! He just rocks; always so depressed but at the same time very khuuL.
 Charie
12-22-2005, 3:03 AM
Yeah, Manny is definitely 'khuuul', he's on the top of my favourite character list, too. But when I need to pick one 'favourite favourite', I look for somebody I myself would like to be.
Though I wonder whom I really resemble? I still haven't decided between Don Copal, Gate Keeper and Lupe :).

That perhaps was asked many times before, but right now I'm reluctant to roam the forum, so please tell me whom do you associate yourself with?
 VampireNaomi
12-22-2005, 3:34 AM
Actually, I don't think we have had that conversation, at least in the near past, Charie. We have talked about which character we'd like to marry, though. And I'm going to use same reply here: Celso Flores. He's just like me in many ways and analyzing his personality in the Reaper thread made it more obvious to me.

You've got trouble deciding between Copal, Gate Keeper and Lupe? That's an interesting trio since they don't really share that much in common. Do you perhaps have a complex personality which makes you seem like Copal on other days and Lupe on other? :D

At this point, answerin to Naomi's question, I'd say that Manny's da man !! He just rocks; always so depressed but at the same time very khuuL.

Yeah, Manny is one of the best protagonists ever.
 evulkhuul
12-22-2005, 4:20 AM
Protagonist? What does that mean? :)

I'm way too eager to know all these fellas that you're talkin about xD. I just luv this game though I haven't gone that far yet(yes, I'm stupid :D)!!
 VampireNaomi
12-22-2005, 5:54 AM
I think protagonist means a hero while an antagonist is someone who's against him. I've never looked up the word, I just use it randomly.

You aren't stupid. Loving GF is a sign of good taste and intelligence. ;)
 Shuz
12-22-2005, 6:15 AM
You aren't stupid. Loving GF is a sign of good taste and intelligence. ;)

I would definately agree (ah...my ego :))
 Charie
12-22-2005, 6:31 AM
VampireNaomi
We have talked about which character we'd like to marry, though. And I'm going to use same reply here: Celso Flores.
I remember that thread, with somebody especially perceptive pointing out you were all talking about marrying dead people)). So, you'd marry Celso and you yourself are like Celso. Interesting. Why do you think you are like him?

As for me, I don't know whom I'd like to marry. Nobody there sounds like my type of guy. If I were a man I'd choose Meche:).

Do you perhaps have a complex personality which makes you seem like Copal on other days and Lupe on other?
Yes! That's exactly what I meant. When I'm at ease and concentrate on smth I'm Gate Keeper, but that happens rarely. When I'm alone. Mostly I'm either highly irascible, angry Don Copal or excited cheerful Lupe. Never anything in between. By the way, 'Don Copal' prevails:).

Loving GF is a sign of good taste and intelligence.
You think so? I'd rather believe the game's attraction is unresistable. Where there any cases of people playing GF and NOT loving it?
12-22-2005, 6:38 AM
So, you'd marry Celso and you yourself are like Celso. Interesting. Why do you think you are like him?

I don't know really. He strikes me as the quiet type who'd rather keep to himself than be saving the world. And that's just like me.

Mostly I'm either highly irascible, angry Don Copal or excited cheerful Lupe. Never anything in between. By the way, 'Don Copal' prevails.

You're a really interesting person then. :D

If I were a man I'd choose Meche.

You mean you're female? Man, all this time I thought you were a dude. Now I'm embarrassed.

You think so? I'd rather believe the game's attraction is unresistable. Where there any cases of people playing GF and NOT loving it?

My sister, my friend, a random reviewer who thought it was too difficult and probably a lot more people. Sad but true.
 Charie
12-22-2005, 7:12 AM
VampireNaomi
He strikes me as the quiet type who'd rather keep to himself than be saving the world. And that's just like me.
I suppose I could go Saving the World, if you'd suggest it to me when I'm kind of 'Lupe'. Nobody sais, though, that the World would benefit from it.

You're a really interesting person then. :D
...If you are acquainted with the *right* side of my character. :)

You mean you're female? Man, all this time I thought you were a dude.
:lol: You are not alone in this, El Virus had been mistaken previously as well. I wonder, does that have some deep meaning?.. :rolleyes:
I guess just I have to explain that 'Charie' is, actually, a pet name for 'Charlotte'. Is that better?

My sister, my friend, a random reviewer who thought it was too difficult and probably a lot more people.
??? This is utterly inexplicable. Well, I had a friend who got stuck in the very beginning and hence dismissed the whole game, but that doesn't count.
Strange. Those people actually thought GF's bad?
 El Virus
12-22-2005, 9:32 AM
Whom do you associate yourself with?

I guess I am a mixture between Celso and the beatniks at the Blue Casket.

At this point, answerin to Naomi's question, I'd say that Manny's da man !! He just rocks; always so depressed but at the same time very khuuL.

That's what I liked about Manny, he always seemed kind of indifferent to the world.

-Where there any cases of people playing GF and NOT loving it?

-My sister, my friend, a random reviewer who thought it was too difficult and probably a lot more people. Sad but true.

I tried to get an acquaintance of mine to play the game, and after a while he asked me, 'Is there any shooting involved in the game?, it is quite boring without it'. I couldn't help but laugh and walk away.

You are not alone in this, El Virus had been mistaken previously as well. I wonder, does that have some deep meaning?..
I guess just I have to explain that 'Charie' is, actually, a pet name for 'Charlotte'. Is that better?

The only problem is that since one can't see the other person, one just has to assume. And statistics show that most of the people who join forums are men*; so most people take it for granted, unless the member states its genre.

*I am based on nothing but a newspaper article.

EDIT: Does anyone else think that the most difficult part of the game was El Marrow?
 VampireNaomi
12-22-2005, 10:08 AM
Charie, I think I mistook you for a male because you remind me so much of El Virus. You both know a lot about interesting stuff and can analyze it in a way that doesn't stop amazing me.

Does anyone else think that the most difficult part of the game was El Marrow?

I'm going to have to go for the underwater mine in Year 3. The conveyor belt, saving Meche and all that. Ugh.
 Charie
12-22-2005, 11:31 AM
El Virus
That's what I liked about Manny, he always seemed kind of indifferent to the world.
Viewing life, or death, for that matter, with an excess scepticism. I agree, that's most endearing.

He asked me, 'Is there any shooting involved in the game?, it is quite boring without it'. I couldn't help but laugh and walk away.
:lol: Oh I love this. Indeed, what one could answer to that?

And statistics show that most of the people who join forums are men
That's news to me. In all forums I've participated, the overwhelming majority of users were women. Perhaps that was by pure accident.
---------------------------------------------------------------------
---------------------------------------------------------------------
I'm going to have to go for the underwater mine in Year 3. The conveyor belt, saving Meche and all that. Ugh.
Same for me. I was completely at a loss there.
 El Virus
12-22-2005, 1:17 PM
That's news to me. In all forums I've participated, the overwhelming majority of users were women. Perhaps that was by pure accident.

I guess it depends on the kind of forum you frequent. I have only been in two forums, and I think the rule applies (I'm speaking about LF in general, not just the Grim Fandango corner; but it is mostly equal, I suppose).

-I'm going to have to go for the underwater mine in Year 3. The conveyor belt, saving Meche and all that. Ugh.

-Same for me. I was completely at a loss there.

I was at a complete loss in the beginning, in year three I had a clear objective at least.
 Charie
12-23-2005, 12:48 AM
El Virus
I guess it depends on the kind of forum you frequent.
I've been in a few literary-canon fandoms' forums and a couple of original literary forums as well. Perhaps when computer games, especially shooters, are concerned, men are more frequent forumers. And for me Wolf 3D will remain the best forever))).

I was at a complete loss in the beginning, in year three I had a clear objective at least.
So, you did solve the whole game solely by yourself? I take off my head to you, then.
 El Virus
12-23-2005, 5:59 AM
So, you did solve the whole game solely by yourself? I take off my head to you, then.

Nah, you got me there. I kept reading the manual, which contained a solution to the first puzzle; and checked strategy guides for a part of El Marrow and the whole Lola's picture puzzle (this one was too hard, and a bit long), along other short things :(.

After this, I swore not to read guides for adventure games; and I've only played Full Throttle since those times.
 Charie
12-23-2005, 7:02 AM
El Virus
After this, I swore not to read guides for adventure games; and I've only played Full Throttle since those times.
Didn't have many opportunities to act up to the vow? :)

I've played not many games all in all, but the only adventure I did without any help was Lost Eden, because I didn't have Internet at the time.
I think I've never badly misused solutions to the games, I've checked them only when I had been really stuck. Another exapmple of my father's scant contributions to my upbringing, he used to walk around all the time and say: 'don't use solutions, don't use solutions'. Kind of a substitute for my nonexistent conscience.
 El Virus
12-23-2005, 8:31 AM
Didn't have many opportunities to act up to the vow?

Not yet, but I plan on getting a couple of LucasArts games soon.

I've played not many games all in all, but the only adventure I did without any help was Lost Eden, because I didn't have Internet at the time.
I think I've never badly misused solutions to the games, I've checked them only when I had been really stuck. Another exapmple of my father's scant contributions to my upbringing, he used to walk around all the time and say: 'don't use solutions, don't use solutions'.

I am not a big video-game player, but after hanging around this community for a while I grew an interest in adventure games.

I don't regret cheating on Grim Fandango at all; all I am sorry for are those years I lost without the magic of it.

Kind of a substitute for my nonexistent conscience.
You too?
 Charie
12-23-2005, 11:42 AM
El Virus
after hanging around this community for a while I grew an interest in adventure games.
Good for you. I think I grew out of them, sadly. Not adventure games, but games on the whole. Can't picture myself playing something new at all (I certainly plan to replay GF, when I get a copy, and a couple of others - some day). However, one never knows :).

I am sorry for are those years I lost without the magic of it.
You have the rest of your life. I somehow don't think that 'those years' of yours were so many)).

You too?
Me too - what? Don't have any evident amount of conscience? That's a very common trait of personality, you now. At least a lot of people claim so.
 El Virus
12-23-2005, 9:10 PM
Me too - what? Don't have any evident amount of conscience? That's a very common trait of personality, you now. At least a lot of people claim so.

Conscience is a relative thing (and potentially obnoxious, if present). It is just the result of our parents and society as a whole telling us what is ethical and what isn't. It might be useful for some, but if you are careful enough to think things over, it is highly unnecessary. My guess is that it will be overruled in a couple of years.

Sorry for that--

Oh, and I should add that on the 'whom do you associate yourself with?', I forgot about Membrillo. That means I would be a strange hybrid between Flores, a bunch of beatniks and a depressive forensic botanist. But I doubt anyone cares.
 Charie
12-23-2005, 11:00 PM
El Virus
Well, I can't tell what exactly conscience is, but I'm fairly sure you notice it when feel it's pangs. It's considered good to feel profound remorse after doing something offensive, so that you wouldn't repeat that. It has more to do with human morals and emotions, not cold logic. As for parents and society establishing ethical norms - so what? It doesn't mean they are wrong. We all are part of society, willingly or not; to coexist peacefully we have to agree on some or other basic rules.
Ow, I guess I got carried away a bit.

I would be a strange hybrid between Flores, a bunch of beatniks and a depressive forensic botanist. But I doubt anyone cares.
I do. If I knew you personally I'd no doubt try to associate you with someone myself. Kind of hobby of mine, or the way of thinking.
So, Flores, Membrillo ans beatniks? Sounds like a very calm person. Brave if needed, philosofical by nature, and a beatnik. Hmm.
 El Virus
12-24-2005, 3:26 PM
Well, I can't tell what exactly conscience is, but I'm fairly sure you notice it when feel it's pangs. It's considered good to feel profound remorse after doing something offensive, so that you wouldn't repeat that. It has more to do with human morals and emotions, not cold logic. As for parents and society establishing ethical norms - so what? It doesn't mean they are wrong. We all are part of society, willingly or not; to coexist peacefully we have to agree on some or other basic rules.
Ow, I guess I got carried away a bit.

Sure, mine was more of a fatalist approach.

The problem with remorse, ethics and laws is that they might prevent a person from doing something when he feels it necessary (I'm not talking about killing or stealing from someone, etc. that is another issue).

I do. If I knew you personally I'd no doubt try to associate you with someone myself. Kind of hobby of mine, or the way of thinking.
So, Flores, Membrillo ans beatniks? Sounds like a very calm person. Brave if needed, philosofical by nature, and a beatnik. Hmm.

That's a nice way to put it. Was the Hmm directed to my beatnikness? :)

You still consider yourself a Lupe/Copal gal?
 Charie
12-24-2005, 11:31 PM
El Virus
The problem with remorse, ethics and laws is that they might prevent a person from doing something when he feels it necessary
(As well as make a person do what he feels is necessary. In minor issues, at least).
Well, too much of anything, even conscience, is never good.

Was the Hmm directed to my beatnikness?
I didn't know what beatniks were, exactly, so I had to look it up. Now I'm trying to figure out in which way you meant it.

You still consider yourself a Lupe/Copal gal?
Person, I'm a Lupe/Copal/very-rarely-Gate Keeper person. Why would I change my mind about this? You think I'm not like them?
Page: 1 of 2