Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

Jedi or no Jedi?

Page: 1 of 2
 JediKnight707
12-02-2005, 9:48 PM
There has probably already been a thread on this, but do you want to start as a Jedi like TSL or be trained like in KotOR1?
 RobQel-Droma
12-02-2005, 9:51 PM
I want to start as a Jedi, or at least be just starting to train as one. I realize I have said many other, different things than this, but I have just not been sure. Right now I am thinking (for my version of the story) that it would be good.

EDIT: Next time, you might not want to make this a multiple answer poll, I could have picked all three. Just for fun, I said "What's a Jedi" along with "Yes, be a Jedi." :D
 Vladimir-Vlada
12-02-2005, 9:59 PM
I want to start as some guy that isn't a Jedi. Being 'perfect' is not exatcly my way of playing.
 ilwugoalie
12-03-2005, 10:32 AM
Either as a Jedi or be trained as one.....hopefully it wont be the same formula the previous games had
 Achilles
12-03-2005, 11:02 AM
hopefully it wont be the same formula the previous games hadI think the devs will want to avoid this as well. I'm still pretty sure they'll having us starting the game as a padawan. Maybe we'll even get to pick some force powers during character creation.
 Dark_lord_Cheez
12-03-2005, 11:39 AM
In my opinion it all maters on what our maximum level will be, if the developers decide to make it 20 like in the first game, then I'd personally like to start as a jedi padawan or something. The only real problem I had with the first game was that we only had a few levels to advance before we reached our highest level in game, and we could advance up to 8 levels before becoming a jedi. That left only 12 levels to advance as a jedi, and if you chose to be either a guardian or a sentinal, you could only learn a maximum of 13 force powers, which to me really killed the whole jedi experience.

However, if the max level will be 50 like in TSL (god, I hope it's not) I'd rather start as a regular person, and eventually become a jedi after let's say level 20 or something. I think this'd work well to balance the force powers you'd recieve in game, seeing as if you are lucky enough to level all the way up to 50 in TSL, you would've had to learn just about every force power there is, which really unbalances the game.

Personally, I'd like to see something where we have a maximum of say 30 levels, and we start off as either a soldier, scoundrel, or scout and are trained to be jedi at a max level of about 7 or 8.

The main thing I'm worrying about with starting as a jedi or a regular person, is that I want to be able to eventually become a powerful jedi, but not an unstoppable force like the exile could've been in TSL by starting off as a jedi with an insane amount of levels that can be gained. I also don't want my jedi character learning only a couple of force powers throughout the course of the game due to starting as a regular person with only a handful of levels that can be easilly used up in a short period of time.
 Darth Windu
12-03-2005, 10:19 PM
Easy. Start as a Jedi.

Why? It's called "Knights of the Old Republic" for a reason.

Besides, everyone knows Jedi have more fun.
 RobQel-Droma
12-03-2005, 10:22 PM
^Well, then, why didn't we start as a Jedi in the first two if the game was called Knights of the Old Republic :rolleyes:. (I'm not saying that I don't want to start as a Jedi, by the way)
 Aurora Merlow
12-04-2005, 8:54 AM
We've already had starting as an ordinary guy, i think this time just let us start as a jedi so we can get on with it as apposed to suddenly realising we are force sensitive
 Bob Lion54
12-04-2005, 9:25 AM
I think the devs will want to avoid this as well. I'm still pretty sure they'll having us starting the game as a padawan. Maybe we'll even get to pick some force powers during character creation.
Interesting... I think I would like this as well. Nice idea.

I suppose my vote is "Start as Jedi." It all depends on how it's emplemented. I liked how in K2 you became a Jedi very early in the game. Though I liked Taris in K1, I found myself trying to get through it as fast as possible just to get to the point where I became a Jedi. The was especially true on my first playthrough.

I like the idea, now that Achilles said it, of picking a few powers during charactor creation. To take that a step further, maybe you could get two "free" powers based on your Jedi class.
 jerrome1966
12-04-2005, 11:37 AM
I Like starting out a nobody and then making choices on what Jedi Class to be.
 ilwugoalie
12-04-2005, 12:05 PM
I Like starting out a nobody and then making choices on what Jedi Class to be.

the problem with starting out as a nobody is it is too close to the plott of the first one. you found out later that you were Revan, but intill then, you were just some regular person... with a hidden past.

and you make the class choices no matter what... so thats nothing that would be changed
 Hallucination
12-04-2005, 3:38 PM
I want to start out as someguy, but I won't be disappointed if I'm a jedi.
 Prime
12-05-2005, 9:29 AM
Start as a Jedi...
 JediMaster12
12-05-2005, 11:41 AM
I would rather train to be a Jedi. I thought that was the best part. I liked the way how the devs increased max level on leveling up in TSL because I was able to play around with different force powers. A new one for me was confuse mind.

"Trained as a Jedi you request for him."-Yoda
 OoMandaloreoO
12-11-2005, 3:18 AM
whats a jedi?
 Darth Windu
12-11-2005, 5:18 AM
Rob - ...uh, you do start as a Jedi in TSL :)

Thing is, just because you start off as a Jedi doesn't mean you won't be trained. By starting the player off as a brand-new Padawan, the Jedi will train you throughout the first planet/level anyway so it's all good.
 Jae Onasi
12-11-2005, 9:24 AM
I'd like to train as a Jedi, just because I liked interacting with the Masters in K1. I'd just like to do it a little earlier in the game. I wouldn't mind even starting the training at level 1, but I think most people would like to have some adventuring before hitting the formal Jedi training.
 Soogz
12-11-2005, 9:30 AM
I would also like to train as a Jedi. Isn't the game called KNIGHTS of the Old Republic? Why wouldn't you play as a Jedi? Or for at least part of the game...
 OoMandaloreoO
12-11-2005, 4:56 PM
Rob - ...uh, you do start as a Jedi in TSL :)

Thing is, just because you start off as a Jedi doesn't mean you won't be trained. By starting the player off as a brand-new Padawan, the Jedi will train you throughout the first planet/level anyway so it's all good.

ahh to become a jedi u have to be well trained soo.....
 RobQel-Droma
12-11-2005, 7:21 PM
Rob - ...uh, you do start as a Jedi in TSL

There is a lot of contraversy about that. You know, actually, you start the game and you don't have any force powers or anything. You talk to Kreia, and then you become a Jedi.

Besides, that says nothing about K1.
 a_nazgul
12-11-2005, 11:16 PM
I want a lot more of levels for de characters, and want to start as a padawn, so you can bulid your character from the very beging as a true jedi( or sith if you prefer)
 Darth Windu
12-12-2005, 1:22 AM
Mandalore - sure, but if you start as a Padawan who has just entered the order, you start as a Jedi and you get trained.

Rob - I see your point, but still in TSL you're never a Soldier/Scout/Scoundrel etc. As for KotOR1, it fitted well with the storyline and whatnot, but I really can't see another "oh yeah, forgot to mention - you used to rule the galaxy" storyline in KotOR3.
 Servercat
12-12-2005, 1:34 AM
I think it would be interesting, if you started out as nobody like in K1, but your gameplay choices (The reap what you sow feel of k2) determine whether or not if you can become a Jedi/Dark Jedi.

If you play the game purely good/evil, then you are offered the chance to train..or if you play the game neutrally, then you are never given the chance. Letting you continue to play and beat the game as an average joe or potentially to become a self made Jedi, like Kyle Katarn.
 JediMaster12
12-12-2005, 12:30 PM
whats a jedi?

I'd tell ya to read my sig.
 Darca Lar
12-17-2005, 11:26 PM
I would want to start as a Jedi or starting to be trained as one, because so far theyve done was a jedi returning with revan and the exile, and this would be something different.
 JediWatchman
12-20-2005, 12:35 AM
I think you should start out as a Sith and have the option to become a Jedi if you want.
 JediKnight707
12-20-2005, 12:39 AM
I think you should start out as a Sith and have the option to become a Jedi if you want.

That's...different...
 Hallucination
12-20-2005, 12:56 AM
No. That means that you have an alignment already made for you, but jedi just refers to someone who uses the force.
 JediKnight707
12-20-2005, 1:02 AM
No. That means that you have an alignment already made for you, but jedi just refers to someone who uses the force.

:tsk: Not neccesarily. A Jedi is someone who is lightside, or is leaning towards there. A Force User is someone who uses the Force, or a [b]Gray[/i] Jedi is a neutral Jedi.
 Darth InSidious
12-20-2005, 12:53 PM
Be trained. Somehow, starting as a Jedi took away the special-ness of being a Jedi.
 Hallucination
12-20-2005, 1:06 PM
:tsk: Not neccesarily. A Jedi is someone who is lightside, or is leaning towards there. A Force User is someone who uses the Force, or a [b]Gray[/i] Jedi is a neutral Jedi.
True, although 'Jedi', has been used alot to refer to a force user. Notice how in the beginning of K2 it says you're a jedi, even though you're neutral?
 ~AlexLeslie~
12-20-2005, 8:02 PM
They might pick up on like the yoda thing, were ure a jedi thats gone into hiding and has to be retrained...?
 SITHSLAYER133
12-20-2005, 8:45 PM
jedi to start complete with robe and a saber
 Hallucination
12-20-2005, 9:23 PM
They might pick up on like the yoda thing, were ure a jedi thats gone into hiding and has to be retrained...?
I haven't seen ESB in a while, but I thought Yoda was training Luke, not the other way around ;). Seriously though, they need a new idea, because the exile thing was done in K2, if I remember correctly.
P.S. Welcome to the SWK forums, its always good to see another canadian here. :D
 RobQel-Droma
12-20-2005, 9:36 PM

No offence, but why does everybody want to start out as a Sith? I don't care if you are a DS player, my friend, but there are a lot of people who aren't- including me. I don't want to start out as some evil guy, you should start out neutral and then head whichever way you want, instead of the game starting you off "biased."

Besides, that would be taking away from one of the most important elements of the game: choosing your alignment. You would pretty much be starting out with an already set alignment if you intend to be a Sith.
 PoiuyWired
12-20-2005, 10:21 PM
Well starting out Neutral would be easier for both the storyline and the excitement.
If anything starting out as a sith would make playing DS less fun... you don't really need to do much to retain DSP ...
 RobQel-Droma
12-20-2005, 11:04 PM
Forget my original idea of starting out as a Jedi-in-training. Now, upon contemplating that and other ideas, I think that either you should be a force-user starting to discover your powers but having no training, or a regular guy with some wierd abilities. Even if this is kind of close to the other games. For the same reasons that I have said about not starting as a Sith, they apply to starting as a Jedi, too.

I have said I don't want to start out as a Sith, but I bet people don't want to start out as a Jedi, also. And, as I have also said, one of KotOR's greatest parts is to choose your own destiny. Which means that you shouldn't be on the Sith/DS side at the start, but, that also means you shouldn't be on the Jedi/LS side at the start. I still hold that you should be learning the force in some way or another, and you should start with a good background like the others, but you shouldn't be on one side or the other.

How about this. A rogue/exiled/grey Jedi is teaching you some techniques of the force, along with some basic powers. This is without the knowledge of the Council, or anyone else. In this way, you would still be neutral yet you would have certain force powers. When you meet the Jedi Council and become a Jedi, this might even cause some friction between you and some of the Vrook-types on the Council.
 JediMaster12
12-21-2005, 12:56 PM
How about this. A rogue/exiled/grey Jedi is teaching you some techniques of the force, along with some basic powers. This is without the knowledge of the Council, or anyone else. In this way, you would still be neutral yet you would have certain force powers. When you meet the Jedi Council and become a Jedi, this might even cause some friction between you and some of the Vrook-types on the Council.

That sounds a bit like the mod I believe Achilles created for KOTOR where you actually are able to use Force powers before you get to the Academy on Dantooine. I'm all for training whenn you start KOTOR 3 but this sounds interesting. Heck maybe the Jedi that is training you is one of the Lost Jedi Kriea names at the end of TSL like Mira or Atton.
 RobQel-Droma
12-21-2005, 3:22 PM
You know, I downloaded that mod too, a while ago. I'm not sure if based it on this, but I kind of liked the idea.

As for what you said, I didn't think about having a character from TSL train you- perhaps that would work, I would probably think Atton would be the one. Or somebody else depending on who the Exile was.
 Darca Lar
12-21-2005, 8:20 PM
Forget my original idea of starting out as a Jedi-in-training. Now, upon contemplating that and other ideas, I think that either you should be a force-user starting to discover your powers but having no training, or a regular guy with some wierd abilities. Even if this is kind of close to the other games. For the same reasons that I have said about not starting as a Sith, they apply to starting as a Jedi, too.

I have said I don't want to start out as a Sith, but I bet people don't want to start out as a Jedi, also. And, as I have also said, one of KotOR's greatest parts is to choose your own destiny. Which means that you shouldn't be on the Sith/DS side at the start, but, that also means you shouldn't be on the Jedi/LS side at the start. I still hold that you should be learning the force in some way or another, and you should start with a good background like the others, but you shouldn't be on one side or the other.

Thats the best idea ive heard yet so far. I think that could be the best way to start the game off. That way you get to start training in the beginning, and you remain neutral. And if this is either Atton or whoever else became a jedi in K2, then the only thing that would remain would have to be their reasons for training this particular person.
 RobQel-Droma
12-21-2005, 8:31 PM
Yeah, that is what I was thinking about. What is really different about starting as a Jedi than starting as a Sith? It just means that instead of starting off with a set DS alignment, you start with a LS one.

As for reasons, Atton or whoever could be training you because of what he went through during the Exile's journey, and what he saw. He could train you because he thinks that you need to learn about the Force, and teach you about Revan and the Exile; So that you would understand about them and what they feared was beyond the outer rim, and what the real threat was.

And then, maybe through him you could set the Exile's gender, based on something he was telling you. You could be talking, and then the PC could ask something about "The Exile must have been extremely skilled", and then Atton would say something like: "Yeah, she was good." If you wanted a female Exile, you would just go on. If you wanted a male Exile, you would say, "She? I was talking about the Exile." Then Atton would say: "Oh, sorry, I was thinking about that Twi-Lek dancer in the cantina." :lol: Just another thought.

Alignment would be simple: Either "She became a Jedi again and defeated Darth Traya, didn't she?" or "From what I remember, she was a bit twisted by the dark side, and ended up becoming a Sith." But nevermind, that is off-topic.
 PoiuyWired
12-22-2005, 9:15 PM
Atton... again?

Now, I hope he would still be using his "Are You an Angel?" line.
 RobQel-Droma
12-22-2005, 10:43 PM
Didn't have to be Atton. But it would be nice for the main party members of both games to make a cameo, if they weren't dead.
 JediWatchman
12-24-2005, 12:32 AM
Woah, ~AlexLeslie~, i just realized you have the same sig as I do. I made that up. Did you just copy it or what?
 Graphic
12-24-2005, 12:37 AM
I think the devs will want to avoid this as well. I'm still pretty sure they'll having us starting the game as a padawan.I like this idea. The amnesia angle is through.
 Sabretooth
12-24-2005, 7:07 AM
I say we just play as an illitrate Bantha who lives on Kellog's Cereal and Pepsi, rebels all alone against an evil Tusken Raider baby and accomplishes the feat.

But since the option wasn't there, I chose "as a Jedi".
 Bastila
12-24-2005, 8:23 AM
Start out trining as a jedi i dont like wasting level ups i cant spend on Jedi powers.
 RobQel-Droma
12-24-2005, 1:15 PM
^Of course, with a fifty level limit it doesn't really matter. :) But I agree, have force powers pretty soon if not at the beginning.
 HQ|Delta 07
12-24-2005, 1:21 PM
I think the system they used un KotOR2 was ok. Force powes as soon you reached level 2. that was ok. Now the only diffrene they should make is that you'll haven a Light saber from the beginning. i hated that in K2. For hours without a lightsaber. If they fix that, I'd be very happy.
Page: 1 of 2