Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

Color me bad...

Page: 2 of 2
 Cygnus Q'ol
12-23-2005, 10:10 AM
What would pink be?
 ChAiNz.2da
12-23-2005, 10:13 AM
What would pink be?
For the "weekend" Sith...

"For the Sith who don't really want to be bad 24/7" :D hehehe...
 RobQel-Droma
12-23-2005, 11:46 AM
You forgot
Yellow is the combination between the Jedi Consular's green and the Sith's red, so there goes that theorie

Thank you for informing me about what colors are made from other colors. All right, so a Jedi color is made from a Sith and a Jedi color. Since yellow isn't a primary color, doubtless you could use a bunch of colors from elsewhere and make it. But what I said still stands. I don't really care if you think that it doesn't work.
 Hallucination
12-23-2005, 7:22 PM
You forgot
Yellow is the combination between the Jedi Consular's green and the Sith's red, so there goes that theorie
I'm sorry to tell you, but red+green=brown.
@Rob: Yellow is a primary colour, along with red and blue.
 jedi3112
12-24-2005, 4:40 AM
I'm sorry to tell you, but red+green=brown.
@Rob: Yellow is a primary colour, along with red and blue.

I know my Red/Green/Blue codes. However if you want to see for yourself, you should go to your desktop, right click, go to properties, go to the tab desktop or something like that (I have a Dutch Windows, os I have to translate terms wich is somewhat difficult), choose color and pick others.

There you will see some basic colors on the left part, and a screen with shades on the right part. Just below that right screen you have the Red/Green/Blue values for the color you want. Each color can be 0;255 or any full value in between. Now set red and green both to 255 and blue to 0. There you have it perfect yellow. Set all to 255 for white, and set all to 0 for black.
 Hallucination
12-24-2005, 12:28 PM
^well call me colour blind, you're right. Damn you faulted kindergarten, damn you!
 RobQel-Droma
12-24-2005, 1:55 PM
[QOUTE=Hallucination]@Rob: Yellow is a primary colour, along with red and blue.[/QUOTE]

Now I'm confused. I want to say your right (I made a mistake), but if you take RGB sliders and make red and green go together, you make yellow. Please explain this to my muddled brain! I'm not thinking straight, I know that.

But besides, it is off the point. I don't really care if you can make other colors, you still can make orange from red and yellow, and you can make purple from red and blue. :D
 ChAiNz.2da
12-24-2005, 2:23 PM
If you're wanting to know "why" you're getting yellow from red & green.. it's because you're working with RGB standards.. not Primaries.

Remember, Green is a combination of Blue + Yellow... Red contains shades/hues of orange and yellow... or an absolute value of 255/0/0

Now.. when you drop Blue altogether... you're also taking the blue out of the green (since you've maxed them at 255 values)..hence, 255/255/0

This leaves your Red & of course Yellow. Because you now have a maxed out yellow value (255/255/0), and red contains yellow (in the RGB scale) yellow "overrides" and becomes.. well, yellow ;) If you look at your corresponding CMYK values, you'll notice yellow is only at 97%... not a "true" yellow, but close enough for our human eyeballs :eyemouth:

FYI: Red is always an absolute. That's why it's the worst color in the world for Live television.. it "bleeds" (color spill) onto anything it gets near and really makes a stink for today's camera's...

Try this with a Crayola® (Primaries) then it's a whole new story. You're dealing with over millions and millions of shades... not just degrees of 255.

Red + Green equals a horrid brown/green gaggy color in the crayon world (because it still has blue in it) :barf:

and there you have it, much more than you ever wanted to know about RGB :D

But besides, it is off the point.
Good point ;)

Back on track peeps. Sorry for my "blurt" :)
 RobQel-Droma
12-24-2005, 2:57 PM
That is what I thought, I knew that if you combined green and red it wouldn't give you yellow, but the RGB thing was confusing me, I didn't really know about that. Thanks for explaining that!

You forgot

Well, in light of what Chainz said- there goes that theory, and mine is back in! :) (no offense meant)
 jedi3112
12-25-2005, 7:51 AM
In physics class I was learned that the primary colors are red green and blue, because those three colors of light together make white light. And the TV also uses only those three colors to make all others. Since the damn thing only has those three lights. And your eyes also work with these three colors. Hence people are red-green colorblind and not red yellow.

This color thing is confusing, since I've also heard some art students say that green is not a basic color, but that yellow is. And as far as paint goes it appears to be true, but not with light (and we are talking about light here). I wonder what's causing this.

Maybe it has something to do with absorbing color as paint does, or emitting color as a lightsaber/monitor does.
 ChAiNz.2da
12-25-2005, 8:31 AM
One last tangent to see if I can give a better example then ;)

For Reference:

Primaries: Red, Blue, Yellow
Secondaries: Orange, Violet, Green

Consider a color prism (a rainbow). Your color wavelengths are defined in this order:

*White

7. Red
6. Orange
5. Yellow
4. Green
3. Blue
2. Indigo
1. Violet

*Black

*-note: White is higher than Red, and Black is lower than Violet. White is the presence of all colors and Black is the absence of all color. But neither are actual "colors" so they don't count.. hehehe.. ;)

When working with RGB (or even with primaries) Green is always Blue + Yellow. This allows the use of only having to use 3 lights, but getting 4 "main" colors to play with. Also, you have the luxury of being able to effectively 'remove' the instances of any color in any degree, something you can't do with the eyeballs or your set of crayons.

Now using your color sliders and removing Blue (value of 0) you're basically taking Blue out of all instances of the colors. Both the Red & the Green. This in turn shifts the Red color "down the scale" in the appropriate amount of fields. Blue's value is (roughly) 3. Red is (roughly) 7.

7 -3 = 4.

4 = Green/Yellow (remember I said "roughly") ;)

Now you may ask "but that would make Green = Violet. Not so, actually, we're only interested in Red because of it's absolute value.

Why? I have no clue, yell at the engineers... hehehe :xp: That's just how it works... :giveup:

Take Blue out of Green = Yellow
Take Blue out of Red = Green/Yellow

Yellowish + Dominant Yellow = Yellow at 97%

Voila!

------------------------------------

Why you ask?

The funny thing with RGB you'll notice the sliders on a color picker are inverted, meaning that the color order is reversed. Blue will always be your "middle-man" :

Red
Violet
Indigo
Blue
Green
Yellow
Orange / Red

You'll also notice that red is on BOTH ends (remember when I said Red is always absolute?). That's why it's a bitch for Live TV.. hehehe This dominance and somewhat looping effect is what gives the engineers & artists their palettes and grades of 0-255. It also makes it near impossible to get a true Purple+ on Live TV without the aid of artificial external lighting (add a peachy/orange gel for those interested :xp: ) Graphics have sliders.. Cameras (like eyeballs) don't have this luxury. We don't get that extra Red on the other end of the loop.

+ Purple (Indigo) is neither a Primary or Secondary.. it's the "boon" color. You can thank Isaac Newton for that one :fist: hehehe

So we have to basically constantly battle Red and aid Blue whenever those 2 colors are present together (and they say TV is glamorous.. HA!) Trust me, I'm in the biz and it's always been a pain in the arse.

--------------------

My last "blurp" guys I swear. If you want to continue the discussion, we should probably start a new thread as this thread's topic has diverted waaaay off course. But I thought you color peepz might get a kick out of some theory :D
 Sabretooth
12-25-2005, 10:28 PM
Chainzie, you can open a course on excellent colour mixing and RGB-ness! But if you ask me, this all felt like some twisted, kindergarten method of Linear Equations in Algebra. *shudders*
 jedi3112
12-26-2005, 9:24 AM
One last tangent to see if I can give a better example then ;)

For Reference:

Primaries: Red, Blue, Yellow
Secondaries: Orange, Violet, Green

Consider a color prism (a rainbow). Your color wavelengths are defined in this order:

*White

7. Red
6. Orange
5. Yellow
4. Green
3. Blue
2. Indigo
1. Violet

*Black

*-note: White is higher than Red, and Black is lower than Violet. White is the presence of all colors and Black is the absence of all color. But neither are actual "colors" so they don't count.. hehehe.. ;)

When working with RGB (or even with primaries) Green is always Blue + Yellow. This allows the use of only having to use 3 lights, but getting 4 "main" colors to play with. Also, you have the luxury of being able to effectively 'remove' the instances of any color in any degree, something you can't do with the eyeballs or your set of crayons.

Now using your color sliders and removing Blue (value of 0) you're basically taking Blue out of all instances of the colors. Both the Red & the Green. This in turn shifts the Red color "down the scale" in the appropriate amount of fields. Blue's value is (roughly) 3. Red is (roughly) 7.

7 -3 = 4.

4 = Green/Yellow (remember I said "roughly") ;)

Now you may ask "but that would make Green = Violet. Not so, actually, we're only interested in Red because of it's absolute value.

Why? I have no clue, yell at the engineers... hehehe :xp: That's just how it works... :giveup:

Take Blue out of Green = Yellow
Take Blue out of Red = Green/Yellow

Yellowish + Dominant Yellow = Yellow at 97%

Voila!

------------------------------------

Why you ask?

The funny thing with RGB you'll notice the sliders on a color picker are inverted, meaning that the color order is reversed. Blue will always be your "middle-man" :

Red
Violet
Indigo
Blue
Green
Yellow
Orange / Red

You'll also notice that red is on BOTH ends (remember when I said Red is always absolute?). That's why it's a bitch for Live TV.. hehehe This dominance and somewhat looping effect is what gives the engineers & artists their palettes and grades of 0-255. It also makes it near impossible to get a true Purple+ on Live TV without the aid of artificial external lighting (add a peachy/orange gel for those interested :xp: ) Graphics have sliders.. Cameras (like eyeballs) don't have this luxury. We don't get that extra Red on the other end of the loop.

+ Purple (Indigo) is neither a Primary or Secondary.. it's the "boon" color. You can thank Isaac Newton for that one :fist: hehehe

So we have to basically constantly battle Red and aid Blue whenever those 2 colors are present together (and they say TV is glamorous.. HA!) Trust me, I'm in the biz and it's always been a pain in the arse.

--------------------

My last "blurp" guys I swear. If you want to continue the discussion, we should probably start a new thread as this thread's topic has diverted waaaay off course. But I thought you color peepz might get a kick out of some theory :D

I think I know what's going on, you're substracting colors from white, while I am adding color to no light/black. I took a closer look at your CMYK colors, and now that I know that your blue is actually cyan, your red is actually magenta and your yellow is yellow it makes much more sense.

Cyan is a combination of green and blue light (substracting red)
Magenta is a combination of blue light and red light (substracting green)
Yellow is a combination of green and red light (substracting blue)

Now if you start with all/white add the substractions of cyan and yellow, you remove both blue and red from white light leaving green to be the only color left.

However of you start with nothing/black and you add both green and red light, you make yellow light.

Now the quetion is what to use, and I go with the adding of colors, because a lightsaber probably doesn't remove colors out of light, but instead creates it's own light, hence the name lightsaber.
 ChAiNz.2da
12-26-2005, 9:55 AM
INow the quetion is what to use, and I go with the adding of colors, because a lightsaber probably doesn't remove colors out of light, but instead creates it's own light, hence the name lightsaber.
I'd definitely agree with you on that point. I highly doubt a saber is "taking out" color as well...

Wouldn't make sense as a Jedi/Sith could in essence use any crystal for their desired color ;)

I'd have to say go with your method of adding of colors. :)

My blurting was mainly intended to address the question of why people were getting yellow out of Red/Green since it was mentioned using color sliders.

Sure in the PC world, we can go with sliders, but for RL mechanics, it simply doesn't work that way. Go with the add colors to light... Mother Nature does it that way, and Im sure she knows better than any of us.. hehehe :D
 Ztalker
12-26-2005, 10:55 AM
To much information (not cynical) i'm serious :D

I see it this way:
Who the hell cares what lightsaber you use? Darth Vader used a blue one!
Exar Kun used a blue one! master Vash used a orange one, and Shaft used a purple one.
I think it just has to refloct your identity. Myself? I always go for cyan, or blue.
 Jae Onasi
12-26-2005, 5:00 PM
I'd definitely agree with you on that point. I highly doubt a saber is "taking out" color as well...

Wouldn't make sense as a Jedi/Sith could in essence use any crystal for their desired color ;)

I'd have to say go with your method of adding of colors. :)

My blurting was mainly intended to address the question of why people were getting yellow out of Red/Green since it was mentioned using color sliders.

Sure in the PC world, we can go with sliders, but for RL mechanics, it simply doesn't work that way. Go with the add colors to light... Mother Nature does it that way, and Im sure she knows better than any of us.. hehehe :D

I'm with the 'add color' thing, too. I don't know if it makes too much difference to me, but it might be fun to customize a bit.

Boring geeky discussion of color/optics here (I'll try to be brief!)
Addressing a bunch of posts here:
Pigments follow the red/yellow/blue rules for primary colors. Mixing these pigments theoretically yields black. So, the kindergarten teacher is right on that.
RGB system as primaries is for light (or CYM if you prefer). Adding all the colors of light together gives you (theoretically) white. RGB follows the eye's system--we have red, green, and blue cones (the receptors that see color). The reason we have red/green color blindness (vs. red/yellow or red/blue) is that red and green are complementary. One can also have blue/yellow color blindness, but that's exceedingly rare. ChAiNz, I think red bleeds the most on TV because it has the longest wavelength of visible light, though I'd have to go dig out my book on color theory from a box in the basement (not my favorite subject), although it's the blue end of the spectrum that affects clarity more in optics. Your optics trivia for the day.... :)
 ChAiNz.2da
12-27-2005, 3:47 AM
ChAiNz, I think red bleeds the most on TV because it has the longest wavelength of visible light, though I'd have to go dig out my book on color theory from a box in the basement (not my favorite subject), although it's the blue end of the spectrum that affects clarity more in optics. Your optics trivia for the day.... :)
No need to dig out your books, I can confirm you are correct :D

Interesting thing you said about Blue and clarity in optics (some more trivia for ya'). Now you know why they chose Blue for the new and upcoming Blu-Ray "optical" laser discs. ;) :D

K Gals & Pals, we really need to divert our way back to the topic on hand.. hehehe. I appreciate everyone's input on the theories of color and also apologize for sustaining the tangent. :o

If anyone wishes to continue color theory (though it's mostly been covered by now) PM me and I'll split the thread. But for now, let's let the theory die and get back to the fun stuff, ie. "the actual topic" ...hehehe :D
 Rok_stoned
12-27-2005, 3:34 PM
what about a lens that is in an additional slot that could tinit the color of another crystal? That way you could have fewer crystals and you could get your favorite color right away rather than waiting half the game the get it.

EXAMPLE:
cyan
/
blue-- blue
\
dark blue (can't think of better word...)
 Jae Onasi
12-28-2005, 7:53 AM
:) Or, we could have a couple of Rodian merchants hanging around various planets with different colored crystals. "Crystals, get your colored crystals here! Only 400 credits for your special colors!" :giggle1:
Seriously, I'd be happy if they just had some more color options. I'm OK with having, say, 6 or 8 or even 10 choices if it means they get to spend time making a better overall game. I don't want them to have to write code for 'a mauvey shade of pinky russet' just to make me happy when 'bronze' would be OK, unless it's something really easy to do (and I don't program, so I honestly don't know). If it is easy, maybe they could just provide a spectrum at the time you make your first lightsaber and tell people 'slide the slider on the spectrum til you find a color you like' and that's your saber color. I'm OK with certain crystals altering the color, but I prefer my own colors if given a choice. What might be cool is more color crystals like Heart/Mantle that alter stats of power crystals, too, but I imagine the color choices on that would be limited out of necessity.

Edit: I noted there's another thread with the 'stat-altering color crystal' idea already. I just have to catch up on my reading. :)
Page: 2 of 2