Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

Help getting better

Page: 1 of 1
 Sabre9
11-15-2005, 5:40 PM
Hi.

I was all hyped about SWBF 1. I followed it closely. However, I had somehow held out when it came out, to read the reviews here before I bought it. Some of the lackluster posts about it, helped made me decide not to buy it...

Well as soon as SWBF ][ came out, I said to heck with it, and I got it. (Well, one week later, but still). I've not played any battlefield-type games, and my last FPS game was JA, which I stopped playing over a year ago...

So, espeically wanting to get into team/infantry tactics, what's the best way to learn this game the fastest? Play MP PUG's for a while, then try to get into a clan? Or try to get into a clan ASAP, and use their tips to learn the game?

I hate single player, and have no plans to play it.

I can only play for like 2-3 hours, every other day, so I can't dedicate much time to this...

Or, am I totally off base, and there's a much better/faster way to get into this game?

(I don't have RW/Teamspeak yet, I would rather wait to see what 'everybody' uses before I install more stuff on this new box - P4 3.2, 2 gigs RAM, Nvidia 6800).

Thanx for any help!
 zerted
11-15-2005, 6:32 PM
... what's the best way to learn this game the fastest?
Play through the campain on Elite. You won't get through it as fast (most likely extremely slow), but you will gain experence faster. The engineer is the easist unit to play. It has a shotgun weapon which will kill many units in one shot when they are close. Because its bullets splatter, you don't need to aim as much. Don't use the engineer. The standard trooper is a good balance to start off with. The rocket trooper has a slow reload time but does massive damage to objectives you need to destroy. The sniper will greatly improve your aim if you are able to beat the levels without zooming in... You should play through all the units to get a feel for them. Don't forget the Jedi have a block button.
 Commander Obi-Wan
11-15-2005, 8:06 PM
Yes, that's a good idea. If I were you play the Campaign in Elite. As stated above. For example, right now I am playing the campaign in normal and I am flying right through it since I have finshed it before. Right now, I am at the Death Star and only start Saturday night...I only have played it for about 3 hours total on the campaign. Which is pretty quick. Normally, if you beat every level it would take about 5-6 hours to complete the whole campaign.
 Redtech
11-16-2005, 6:36 AM
I think it's important to at least know the levels inside and out, including 'sweet spots' and chokepoints and against AI, you get an idea of what could be going on, if not whether they'll do it or not as humans.

Get a feel for each weapon and the way Jedi move, no point trying to become elite when you don't know how to cloak a Bothan!
 PoiuyWired
11-16-2005, 1:31 PM
WHen playing a sniper, tape a small circle on the target of your monitor, so you can shoot un-zoomed. It helps the shooting alot.
 zerted
11-16-2005, 2:09 PM
...tape a small circle on the target of your monitor, so you can shoot un-zoomed...
Thats cheating. The point I am making of playing the sniper, is to learn by instinct where your shots will go. In stead of focusing on where your crosshair dot is, you are forced to focus more on the entire screen. You will get more of a feel of the game and where your shots go, which would help in intense battles where you are busy dodging enemy fire and don't have to to line up your shots. You will start shooting more by your game instinct, instead of watching your crosshair dot and not paying attention to that little light distortion on the left...
 Redtech
11-17-2005, 7:19 AM
My brother is brilliant as that.

BTW, just a thought. I wish that if you go crouch or GO PRONE (someone put that in for snipers, at least!) you should not be able to fall off ledges. After playing UT2k4, you'd be surprised how useful I find that.
Page: 1 of 1