Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

Bombers too powerful?

Page: 1 of 1
 RaV™
11-14-2005, 12:37 AM
I'm just wondering, if people had thought the bombers in BF2 were too powerful or the defending ships (frigates, etc) were took weak? I mean when I played CIS and used it's bomber I blew up the Republic's defenses in a matter of less than 10 bombs. I can't tell whether one is too weak or one is too powerful..
 zerted
11-14-2005, 1:19 AM
Well, it takes a long time to bomb down the shields.
 MandaloreBIC
11-14-2005, 2:23 AM
useless you did what i do eveytime, at the start get into a baording ship and boost to the enemy shiip, first order of business killing the defense main frame, and get inside a turrent during the duration it takes to blow the 1st bomb to protect yourslef, and then hte shild gen, it doesn't take long, and then you pretty much own everyone....
and it's reasonable speed for the bombers, or else the game would take forever, imagine it's a star wars movie your fighting in, it makes sense, eg. like that person who crashed his a-wing into the EXCUTOR's bridge, it was a SUPER STAR DESTORYER!!!!!! and that one a-wing made it crash into the death star..... (and killing the empire's best commander isntantly in the bridge)
 Darth Alec
11-14-2005, 2:46 AM
That was so bad, I almost gave my friend one in the face. He loves rebels, and he always uses the Y-wing. Maybe it is to powerfull.
 ParanoidAndroid
11-14-2005, 6:22 AM
Well the bomber class is supposed to be very good at taking out stuff like frigates, turrets and vital systems on a capital ship, as a compromise their not so good at starfighting, their weapons are good but very slow and they have no homing bombs/rockets like other fighters.

So maybe the frigates are too weak, but how powerful do you really want them? Should it take half the game or longer to destroy them? Really I think it's fine the way it is, less then 10 bombs? It must be that I shoot them to close to the surface of the frigate, so they don't have time to build up momentum, I usually have to use around twenty (I think, ive never counted), and am usually shot down by those uncannily accurate auto turrets several times as well. I think it's fine the way it is. In my opinion they have enough health to make it a challenge, but not so much as it takes forever to destroy them.
 zerted
11-14-2005, 6:39 AM
...less then 10 bombs? ...I usually have to use around twenty (I think, ive never counted)...
Maybe you had the damage increase and didn't notice. It doesn't show the red light when you are in a vehicle.
 Angarah
11-14-2005, 10:29 AM
The CIS Strike Bomber is too good at dogfighting. Its shots never overheat, and it can knock out an ARC-170 in two shots. The only thing more powerful than that is the Droid Gunship, which knocks them out in one shot (both these ships are great for dogfighting, especially the gunship)
 Redtech
11-14-2005, 10:49 AM
Are you being sarcastic? A Jedi starfighter runs rings around both and can attack outside the range of either. (Thank Nod for homing missiles).
 Darth Alec
11-14-2005, 12:43 PM
Ho's Nod??

I don't see how the droid starfighter can knock an ARC-170 out of the sky in in one shot, it has never happend to me.
 Commander Obi-Wan
11-14-2005, 1:42 PM
Well the bomber class is supposed to be very good at taking out stuff like frigates, turrets and vital systems on a capital ship, as a compromise their not so good at starfighting, their weapons are good but very slow and they have no homing bombs/rockets like other fighters.

Exactly, the are meant to take out stuff like frigates. LIke yesterday, my friend and I were playing GC and I was the Republic (he was the CIS) and I was in a V-Wing and I took out all the enemies systems (Comm. Array, shield, engines, sensor relay, frigates, etc.) And all that is without dying...meaning it was quite powerful or I am quite good at the game. (the first option makes more sense, though the second one is true). So the bombers are suppose to be powerful.
 MachineCult
11-14-2005, 2:23 PM
The power is just fine, if anything they aren't powerful enough, imagine if a bomb or a missile was launched at something like the communications array in the movies? It would get blown to hell straight away.
Have you seen ROTS Rav? A CIS Frigate gets blown in half by about a second of fire from a Venator class's Superlaser, and in ROTJ the Shield Generators atop a Star Destroyer get destroyed by a few blasts from an A-Wing.

No-one wants to be stuck making endless bombing runs, I think the Frigates are about as strong as any of the destructable things on the capital ships, maybe not even as strong as them.
 RaV™
11-14-2005, 3:48 PM
Listen i'm not talking about the capitol ships...
 mogga
11-14-2005, 4:58 PM
It depends what level of difficulty you have it set on, or the skill of the people you are playing against. Nobody want to get close to a ship in a lumbering bomber when you have all the AA turrets and enemy ships firing at you, you'll be killed every time.
 Angarah
11-14-2005, 7:07 PM
Ho's Nod??

I don't see how the droid starfighter can knock an ARC-170 out of the sky in in one shot, it has never happend to me.

GUNSHIP.

Republic Starfighter can't really do much damage to a bomber, even with homing missiles. Also a Gunship with support can take out anything
 MachineCult
11-14-2005, 7:13 PM
Angarah, anything can do considerable damage to anything out there, any given craft can more than likely take down another one.
I don't know where you've got these ideas from, Bombers suck in dogfights, they fire 0.2 rounds a second, Republic Starfighters can destroy whatever the **** they want.
 Angarah
11-14-2005, 7:22 PM
Angarah, anything can do considerable damage to anything out there, any given craft can more than likely take down another one.
I don't know where you've got these ideas from, Bombers suck in dogfights, they fire 0.2 rounds a second, Republic Starfighters can destroy whatever the **** they want.

I get my insane ideas from IA where the AI is too stupid to hit a barn door, much less a Droid Gunship. So take a Gunship out flying, and I pity the fool who flys in front of you...and if you got a Republic Starfighter on your tail, just slow down, and it will run in to your shiny metal ass.:D
 RaV™
11-14-2005, 7:24 PM
The star fighters are great for dogfights, but I dislike using them, because when I pilot them they are easily destroyed or critically damaged.
 Daddyboom
11-14-2005, 8:53 PM
the gunship to me are the best, i take out a guy in two shots
 Commander Obi-Wan
11-14-2005, 10:47 PM
My favourite gunship would have to be the Droid Gunship....probably due to the fact that that is the only one I have used out of the transports.
 Angarah
11-14-2005, 11:23 PM
The star fighters are great for dogfights, but I dislike using them, because when I pilot them they are easily destroyed or critically damaged.

Yeah, its impossible to play them early game because the Auto-turrets just blast you out of the sky
 Commander Obi-Wan
11-14-2005, 11:31 PM
The auto turrets shouldn't damage you too much. I find its quite easy to evade the auto turrets. Especially with the ARC-170, Droid Starfighter, X-Wing, and Tie Fighter. Well for me, it's easy.
 Daddyboom
11-14-2005, 11:34 PM
:vsd: :lurkblast Nah i get shot in a scout vehicle
 Commander Obi-Wan
11-14-2005, 11:36 PM
I only use Scout Vehicles when trying to complete objectives (in Story MOde) or get to the enemies capital ship.
 Daddyboom
11-14-2005, 11:43 PM
whenever i get close, i get killed

*thinks* (wonder why i get him to respond?)
 RaV™
11-14-2005, 11:44 PM
But are bombers to powerful or are the defense ships (not the capital ships) too weak?
 Commander Obi-Wan
11-14-2005, 11:45 PM
None....well amybe the defense ships are too weak.
 Daddyboom
11-14-2005, 11:48 PM
yea listen to obi
 Daddyboom
11-15-2005, 12:23 AM
:3pdance:
 MandaloreBIC
11-15-2005, 1:43 AM
well, a-wing and outher scouts are equally powerful at waht they do, after all... intant homing super missiles?!?!?!??!?!?! crazy, dude.... in conperson, all the normal starfigheters eg. xwing vulture, etc... really sucks... and besides, the a-wings are not weak against auto turrents, at the beginning of every game the 1st thing i do i take the landing craft go into the enemy hanger, and kill off their defense mainframe with time bombs... (only takes 2 compared to life soupport and engine, which use 3)
alough the bomber primary cannon is way to powerful, 2 shot kills normal starfigher, 1 shot kills scouts, and 3-4 shots kill another bomber, and just hold it down, most alsome space weapon ever!!!! (next to having the percision pistol aboard an enemy ship, wow!)
 Redtech
11-15-2005, 6:03 AM
Saying that, you should get laughed at if you can get killed by a bomber continously. First shot from one should tell you to run away, heal, turn, then unload everything you've got into the bugger.

Nod are an organisation in Command and Conquer btw.
 ParanoidAndroid
11-15-2005, 6:17 AM
Unless of course your in a scout flyer, their dead in one shot. Then again you should be so fast that the bomber shouldn't be able to hit you unless he's really good (or lucky) you should then notice that, Hey!theirs this bomber trying to pick you off! hes been shooting at you for the last ten minutes and can't seem to hit you. Then just get on his tail and follow Redtechs advice: unload everything you've got into the bugger.
 mogga
11-15-2005, 3:09 PM
I think scout craft is undoubtedly best in CTF, its so easy to get the flag and then boost toward the objective.
 Daddyboom
11-15-2005, 7:25 PM
Scouts someimes get to fast i can't control, then i get killed by a turret when i slow down
 Commander Obi-Wan
11-15-2005, 8:14 PM
I think scout craft is undoubtedly best in CTF, its so easy to get the flag and then boost toward the objective.

:wstupid:
Page: 1 of 1