Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

Space CTF

Page: 1 of 1
 zerted
11-11-2005, 8:31 AM
I found an interesting way to obliterate the enemy in space CTF maps. First you jump in a interceptor and boost it over to the enemy hanger as fast as you can. Go in the hanger, but don't land. You can stay in there and circle above everyone's heads. When an enemy jumps in a ship and takes off, you follow him closely behind. As soon as you both are out of the hanger you can blast him into pieces, do a loop, and go back to circling.

While you are in the hanger, the only thing the enemy can do to you is shoot blaster bolts and attempt to crash into you. Because its CTF, there are no missile troops to shoot you down. Its also not hard to elude enemy ships attempting to crash into you.

With some teamwork, you can fit about 3-4 frendly interceptors into an enemy hanger. All you need is one ship outside destroying the enemy ships once. The 3 in the hanger can make sure the enemy never gets out after they have respawned.

Does anyone have any ideas on how to kill a person doing this? I was able to do this in 4 space maps without being killed by the enemy. The turrets damaged me a bit, but when you are flying around the hanger, you heal yourself.
 Rudolphski
11-12-2005, 1:18 PM
I haven't tried your trick yet but I have one of my own to share. I take a bomber over to the enemy hanger as fast as possible and once there I order my co pilot to get out so that while there after him I can get to the shield generator and destroy it! It takes about four time bombs to get rid of it so you have to choices (One wait in the generator room untill a enemy pilot runs in so that you can kill him and take his ammo) (Two run back into the control room and find the ammo droid near the exit) I prefer to run back to the droid Myself because it's easy to get out gunned in the shield gen room. I usualy raise hell as much as possible with this trick until their troops are down then I get a bomber and kill whats left of their fleet.
 deamonomic
11-13-2005, 3:08 PM
well i noticed with one of the ships (that can bomb) you can easily bomb the enemy hangar at their respawn points (demo) and make continual fly by's.
 Kurgan
11-14-2005, 1:43 AM
I find your marines can do a heck of a lot of damage going over. I have been tempted to take a shuttle, but it's hard to get people to come with you. Taking a fast fighter over to the enemy hangar, sneaking past anyone who's distracted anyway and then going in and destroying all their internal systems before they catch on is incredibly easy. But a massive internal raid would be much more satisfying. The only trouble is the shuttles are so slow, the turret defenses could take you out... it all depends on your personal style I guess.

Frankly it seems like people spend too much time dogfighting and not enough going after the enemy assets. Yes, getting space kills is important, but I'd save that for after you've destroyed their entire ship.
 zerted
11-15-2005, 1:13 PM
Well it looks like we got off of CTF maps really quick... Another idea, this one works on ships which have steps leading up to the doors to get inside from the hanger:

Respawn and get into the bomber. Take off, turn around and land on the steps in your captial ship. You can land in such a way as to prevent anyone from walking up those stairs. Go into the newly spawned bomber and do it again on the other steps. Now the enemy has to spend time and ammo to destroy the bombers before he can get into the inner ship to damage systems. This will also prevent anyone on your team from using the steps, but you can always walk off the ledge to get down onto the hanger floor.

[EDIT]I found a simple way around: use the slanted edges on the sides of the hanger to get onto the ledge. It prevent this, place the bombers on the ledge blocking the path and stairs at the same time. You can even land on the slanted edges and place bombers there. While you are at it, you could always completely cover the hanger with bombers. There would be no place to land, so the enemy would never board your ship.

(I'll cover a hanger with bombers and post a pic of it. I have to do a final report for class first...)
 deamonomic
11-16-2005, 8:17 PM
true that would work. the one thing i was really looking forward to about the space battles was the boarding parties. also. cant they just get into the ship and move it?
 zerted
11-17-2005, 6:43 AM
... cant they just get into the ship and move it?
Yea they can. Its just a simple way to slow the enemy advancing into your ship.
 xhh2a
01-08-2006, 7:14 PM
then ur ai teammates will enter them and crash!(i've seen it happen)
 zerted
01-09-2006, 1:08 PM
I haven't seen it happen, but that sounds like something they would do.
 PoiuyWired
01-09-2006, 4:45 PM
actually it seems like the AI will only take ships at the spawn pad in space.

Also, note that any unmanned vehicle outside of their spawn spot will slowly take damage themselves.
Page: 1 of 1