Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

Forum Trouble?

Page: 1 of 1
 lukeiamyourdad
11-09-2005, 5:38 PM
Sithaxe brought this up in another thread but I thought that this deserved some attention.

It would seem that there's more hostility between various members here then anywhere else. People are more "aggressive" or argue until they die.
First, if it's me with Windu and Froz, that's NORMAL. It's like an old couple.

I must mention the inability of people to debate properly or to know how to take a hit when an argument comes up and a debate rises. It seems people in general here and everywhere likes the status quo. Everyone loves each other, every agrees with each other, peace and harmony, opinions don't difffer, etc.
Of course, being humans and hopefully living in the middle of what is called a society, anyone would notice that opinions do differ.
Hating different opinions? Possible.
In any case, if you have an opinion, you should also be able to defend it.

Sithaxe also brought up something very important. How someone is to be taken seriously. We've all had our experiences with 12 years old children or 30 years old children on the internet, and there's a lesson to learn from that.
It would seem that people tend to take people who are articulate and good speakers (or writers) more seriously. If I jump in a debate and write like an 8 year old, people don't take me seriously. I guess this goes for everyone.

As for the rest, I don't know why this forum is less populated, outside of the fact that RTS is a dying game genre. It really is.

Sorry about the rant, I just felt a personnal attack on myself at some point.
 Jeff
11-09-2005, 5:56 PM
It would seem that there's more hostility between various members here then anywhere else. People are more "aggressive" or argue until they die.
First, if it's me with Windu and Froz, that's NORMAL. It's like an old couple.
I think it may be that there are new(er) members that might not have a lot of forum experience and just aren't used to debating but keeping it civil. This all comes in time. Although I never really thought much of it before now, I have seen some of this going on here.

I must mention the inability of people to debate properly or to know how to take a hit when an argument comes up and a debate rises. It seems people in general here and everywhere likes the status quo. Everyone loves each other, every agrees with each other, peace and harmony, opinions don't difffer, etc.
Of course, being humans and hopefully living in the middle of what is called a society, anyone would notice that opinions do differ.
Hating different opinions? Possible.
In any case, if you have an opinion, you should also be able to defend it.
There is nothing wrong with defending your opinion, just as so you don't go beyond a certain point by saying that the opposing opinion is dumb, or any kind of flaming against people with a different opponent.

Sithaxe also brought up something very important. How someone is to be taken seriously. We've all had our experiences with 12 years old children or 30 years old children on the internet, and there's a lesson to learn from that.
It would seem that people tend to take people who are articulate and good speakers (or writers) more seriously. If I jump in a debate and write like an 8 year old, people don't take me seriously. I guess this goes for everyone.
I think this is true. When people do not give any effort in spelling words correctly, using proper grammar, etc, I don't think people that oppose their view don't respect them as much or don't take them seriously, because of their writing style. I know I always try to use proper grammar and spelling, and I encourage everyone to try to. I know not everyone is perfect, and some people have trouble with spelling/grammar, but they should do the best they can to prevent loss of respect from other members.

As for the rest, I don't know why this forum is less populated, outside of the fact that RTS is a dying game genre. It really is.
Probably also that this is the newest forum here, or I think it is at least. But you also have a point, RTS's aren't as popular as they used to be. Hopefully EaW will be able to change that. I know I hope it does.
 El Sitherino
11-09-2005, 6:21 PM
About the forum population, I think that's because we don't have many asians, namely koreans, infact I don't think we have any koreans.

This might be the reason.
 lukeiamyourdad
11-09-2005, 6:38 PM
About the forum population, I think that's because we don't have many asians, namely koreans, infact I don't think we have any koreans.

This might be the reason.

:lol: So true :lol: We should try to attract more koreans here :lol:
 Hallucination
11-11-2005, 5:53 PM
Excuse me for not knowing, but by 'here' do you mean the EaW forums or just the off-topic part?
 darthfergie
11-11-2005, 6:21 PM
well, I dunno.
It also comes down to your policies. If you allow it to go on without much consequence, then it will go on. I know I used to edit posts I deemed inappropriate or flaming and take out the majority of the post and leaving the essence of the comment, while adding in my own comment in italics such as "bad (insert name). There shalt be no flamage here." or whatever. I always prefered that method to enforcing instead of letting people see what the other person was saying insulting them and then the thread getting even more crazy. Not saying it's guarenteed though, some people will get annoyed at the censorship, but I'd rather them be yelling at me through a private message about censorship than bashing a member who hadn't done anything other than voice a valid opinion.
Not perfect, but better than banning them normally.

I would have left this on the mod forum, but I wanted to see what normal user's opinions on it were.
 Darth Andrew
11-11-2005, 7:25 PM
In the EaW.net forums, I haven't really noticed any hostility between members, other than the age-old and normal lukeiamyourdad, Froziticles, Darth Windu, and DK Viceroy feud.
 Jan Gaarni
11-11-2005, 7:35 PM
I tend to leave comments be, unless they are totally out of hand ofcourse, to demonstrate to others what is considered a no-no.
 darthfergie
11-12-2005, 1:54 AM
I've done the same for the past forever too Jan, but mainly because I hadn't wanted to offend. More often than not I just see the two who got into it, rip each other in another thread because they don't take the mod seriously. Or the person who did the initial flaming will back down because of the mod and then for maybe a week or so that person's posts are viewed very critically because of what he/she said earlier in a heated debate that got out of hand or what have you. So it ends up the people on the side of "right" end up persecuting the side of "wrong" until they finally gain acceptance again, which for some people can end up being never, and not because they don't try either if you know what I mean. It bugs me sometimes is all. Not saying editing is the perfect way or anything, it's just something I was thinking about randomly because I used to do it years ago.
Page: 1 of 1