Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

I want to paly the good characters!!!

Page: 1 of 1
 Murf
11-08-2005, 7:11 PM
I really enjoyed SWBF.
On SWBFII I WANT TO PLAY THE GOOD CHARACTERS (Jet trooper, Dark Trooper). I'm tried of playing the default characters!!!!!!!!! By the time I earn enough points to play the last character the match is over, so I play for hours and rarely ever get to play the character I want (I could care less about the jedi - not why I bought the game). It is utterly ridiculous that I bought this game and am punished by not be being able to play the character I want! I'm finding the multiplayer in SWBF more fun than than II.
I had my best times in SWBF playing Dark Trooper and Jet Trooper. I've rarely been able to play Dark Trooper now and have yet to be able to play Jet Trooper. So my favorite part of the game I CANNOT EVEN PLAY IN THE BFII! Don't give me that hogwash about "balance", that is the lamest excuse ever. Let's just say you got clobbered by all the jet troopers, well when your on the republic you get to do the clobberin'! It's balanced. All the balance argument in my opinion is just whinning poor sportmanship. (Just my opinion - I know many don't agree with this).
So how long will this game hold interest with people like me? It gets boring playing the same old players (especially knowing there are others out there, but you are just not entitled to play them). So I'm not the highest scorer in the game. I should be punished and not allowed to play all the characters.
They had a 2nd chance to take a game with so much potential and still managed to make it worse in this area. I cannot find many servers with at least 20 people playing. Is this the reason?
 MachineCult
11-08-2005, 7:16 PM
You must be pretty bad at the game if it takes you a whole battle to earn the Dark/Jet Troopers, i'm usually a Hero 2 minutes in, as are alot of people. Just get better at the game and stop badmouthing it because is isn't getting you anywhere.
 ET Warrior
11-09-2005, 2:34 AM
Yes, you are so elite at swbfII, just mock his lack of skill and insult him as opposed to actually helping.

Some people don't have a knack for video games, some people it comes naturally to. While I haven't played the game itself to make a truly informed opinion, it does seem a bit silly that the more skilled characters are reserved for the more skilled players. Seems like less of a balancing option and more of a way of making the game top-heavy and forboding to rooks.

If I am mistaken feel free to correct me.
 zerted
11-09-2005, 2:45 AM
I think the developers wanted a way to keep everyone on the map from using the more 'powerful' units. In many SWBF games, almost the entire team would be a single unit such as the jet trooper. They would fly from command post to command post and wipe out the other team. Adding requirments and limiting the amount of these types of units solves this sort of problem.

If SWBF2 didn't have these limitations, an entire Rebel team could become spies. Just think about how hard it would be to win a battle aganist 20 invisible units...

I'm not saying its fair to the people with less skill/haven't been playing long, but there needs to be some type of limit.

The Jedi, at least can be assigned to anyone, from the lowest scoring player to the highest.
 Darth Alec
11-09-2005, 4:10 AM
You should play IA more, improve your skills and then you will get the chance. I'm not saying it will go easy, but it works. Just keep on trying, then you will also kill more, and get higher ranks.
 ParanoidAndroid
11-09-2005, 6:08 AM
yeah, I can understand where your coming from, I almost never had time to play as the commanders/special units when I first began playing but now I usually earn enough points to play as one in one life. Just work on being a good basic soldier and the darktrooper will be yours in no time. Sure it might seem a bit annoying at first, but it's better then fighting a whole team of droidekas...
 TK-8252
11-09-2005, 7:52 AM
Let's just say you got clobbered by all the jet troopers, well when your on the republic you get to do the clobberin'! It's balanced.

Well that's a pretty silly thing to say. That's the complete opposite of balance.

What if you're on CIS?
 Murf
11-09-2005, 4:49 PM
Just get better at the game and stop badmouthing it because is isn't getting you anywhere.

I not bad mouthing the whole game. I'm expressing my opinion about an aspect that in my opinion was a bad decision. The next post mentions "Some people are not as good". I'm 41 and have been playing video games since pong. Probably when of you were in diapers. I'm not a pro at this game, but should only the pros be allowed to play? If that is the case, maybe the game should have been designed so anyone who doesn't have 15 points after 2 minutes of a match should be kicked from the server - then only the pros would be left. If it wasn't for us less-skilled players you pros would not be scoring quite as high as scores, less you forget. In Battlefield 2 I have earned all but 2 of the weapons. However, Battlefield 2 lets you play all the characters and when you 've earned a weapon, you get to keep it. It would seem better to me if SWBFII would remember when you have earned a character and let you continue to use it after that - not make you re-earn it ever single match. To the point of them not wanting a whole team of jet troopers, I'm ok with that, I just don't think you should have to earn them by score - just have it first come first served. Maybe allow a 3rd of the team to be the "unbalancing" classes.

Also thanks to all the made mature comments (using reason instead of just bashing me for my opinion). Also thanks for the encouragement.
 HUGOMAND
11-09-2005, 5:03 PM
FPS skills is like born for some people. I've studied that!! LOL! (What can I say, I'm a geek :) )

But very often, the people who's not so good at FPS, are good at strategy games! It's like ying&yang!

About this thread, I think it's fair. Because FPS is about skills, and this system gives the man with the best skill, the best features. If everybody could be jet troopers, we would never have a man on the ground! So that's only fair, IMO.
 Murf
11-09-2005, 5:16 PM
I'm awful at strategy so I don't play strategy games. In general, I believe I'm average at FPS games. In regards to strategy, when I use to try and play chess I would just try to copy the other player. In chess and the Avalon Hill hex-board war games I just had to play them as each kill was a victory for me, knowing that I could never win the game. Sounds like an interesting study.
 deamonomic
11-09-2005, 5:45 PM
i can see where ur commin from. and i have yet to play the game so i cant make an official comment on wether its good or bad. but if it is excluding the less skilled people that is bad! i mean it doesnt take much time but it taks a little bit of time to get used to a certain type of soldier. and if ur not able to play it then you will never get used to it there fore you will always be "less skilled"
 Commander Obi-Wan
11-09-2005, 7:09 PM
Well, if you want to use the Dark Trooper/Jet Trooper for a large portion of the battle, just increase the reinforcement count. If you don't know how to do that, then follow the following steps: Instant Action > Options > Conquest > then there will be a number...100% and then increase that to any number up to 500%.
 ntype
11-09-2005, 7:56 PM
Seriously you are bad...I get it in less than a minute... just be clone or stormtrooper.. Killing is easy
 zerted
11-09-2005, 9:48 PM
...But very often, the people who's not so good at FPS, are good at strategy games! It's like ying&yang!...

Yay, I'm good at both. Last year my dorm floor played CCG Zero Hour about twice a week for the entire school year. I only lost twice...

Anyway, you don't have to kill anything to upgrade your unit. All you have to do is gain points. Capturing a CP from start to end gives you 5 points. Joining in on the capture after its mostly done gives you 2 points. Capturing the flag in CTF gives you 10 points. If you get a flag you shouldn't have to do any killing. Your teammates should be clearing the way and jumping infront of any enemy fire to protect the flag holder.
 MandaloreBIC
11-10-2005, 1:11 AM
well, i'm good at stragy and shooter games, but that's when your young.......
anyway remember to rank up points the easiest way is to run like crazy at the beginning to capature a CP, that auto gives you 5 points, well on your way to unlocking.....
 Redtech
11-10-2005, 10:07 AM
Not to mention, getting in a vehicle and trying to murder as many targets as possible. The vehicles are a lot more "support" then "win-all" though, so hit and runs are a must usually. But it's nice to be actively helping.
 Genrl Grievous
11-10-2005, 10:55 AM
you guys are going nuts, i would just tell the kid to be a rocket trooper and set mines in enemy fortifications, thats an easy way to earn kills son.
 Redtech
11-10-2005, 1:30 PM
Erm, he's older than you are, and WTF with that sig. I have a *checks uni monitor* 1280 by 1024 res and that sig is still too big!
 HUGOMAND
11-10-2005, 1:58 PM
Yay, I'm good at both. Last year my dorm floor played CCG Zero Hour about twice a week for the entire school year. I only lost twice...

Then you are a pro my friend :) Like me :D
 Darth Alec
11-10-2005, 2:01 PM
Remember, keep on trying, you'll get there eventually. :)

Off topic: Genrl Greivous: You should really think about reducing that sig size.
 Commander Obi-Wan
11-10-2005, 2:07 PM
Yes....taking CP or destryoing figates/parts of the capital ship give alot of Player points, and when using a hero, you gwt PP but not toward special units.

Off-topic: Like Darth Alec said, you should reduc the size of your sig, or Kurgan will go by and deal with you.
 Lithimus
11-10-2005, 2:16 PM
In my opinion, the point limit for classes makes it much more balanced.
I know some people won't be able to get the points the first few times they play, but that's why people practice at things, to get better.
And if it stops people spawning as Jet Troopers straight off and capping half the map, then it's defianetly a good thing.
 Murf
11-10-2005, 4:37 PM
Thanks guys for the advice on how to get points faster.
 Demonic Spoon
11-10-2005, 6:09 PM
I have a couple suggestions...

1) Teamplay, especially in a game where the classes are at least somewhat interdependant (engineer), is your best friend. Get a few friends who play the game, set up a Teamspeak server, and play. You'll find a group of 5 people working together is ALWAYS better than 10 people running around doing their own thing.

2) CPs are your priority, not kills. Help your team take 3 CPs and boom, you get the special classes.
 Genrl Grievous
11-10-2005, 6:11 PM
there, ya happy? i reduced it
 Commander Obi-Wan
11-10-2005, 6:58 PM
Seriously you are bad...I get it in less than a minute... just be clone or stormtrooper.. Killing is easy

We don't need to make fun of anybody. Some people are better than others. Also, Genrl Grievous.....you could have just changed it and not tell us. That was justa pointless reply.
 Angarah
11-10-2005, 7:23 PM
I would like to see an option in IA to make the special units available right away, like jedi. Its singleplayer, so who cares about balance?
 ParanoidAndroid
11-10-2005, 7:31 PM
^ there is a way you can do just that, just go to the hero settings and switch the jedi to "timer" and turn the timer down to "always" so they will always be available, then set the time until you can spawn as them again to 0 (or the lowest number available) and there you go!
 str_wrs_fan
11-10-2005, 7:56 PM
I think it would be smart to put in an easy mode which allows you to start off with your favorite characters. That way if you aren't to good but just want to play then you can instantly be a jet trooper. But if you want a challenge you can turn it back to normal or elite.
 Angarah
11-10-2005, 8:37 PM
^ there is a way you can do just that, just go to the hero settings and switch the jedi to "timer" and turn the timer down to "always" so they will always be available, then set the time until you can spawn as them again to 0 (or the lowest number available) and there you go!

I meant for the Advanced Classes
 ParanoidAndroid
11-10-2005, 9:10 PM
Ah ok, my apologies, really misread your post there...
 Rebel_Trooper
11-12-2005, 6:03 AM
Don't give me that hogwash about "balance", that is the lamest excuse ever. Let's just say you got clobbered by all the jet troopers, well when your on the republic you get to do the clobberin'! It's balanced. All the balance argument in my opinion is just whinning poor sportmanship.

Your opinion indeed. How is that balanced? As TK said, that's the opposite of balanced gameplay!

The point of playing a game is to have fun (and other points, but I play for fun) and a sign of a good game is where everyone has fun. I think you'll find the fun leaves once you are on the recieving end of a Jet Trooper swarm.

Poor sportsmanship? Ever thought it might be people trying to make the game more fun for everyone, as metioned above?

I know I've probably come across as offencive, and I'm sorry for that- I'm not attacking you personally, it's just that your opinion- and I realise that is all it is, is quite opposite to mine.

If you haven't already, play some instant, it lets you play against bots which can be just the right difficulty for many people I know, and you'll never suffer from lag. I play Instant Action more often than I play Online, because I suffer from awful lag, often unplayable. Against bots it's pretty easy to unlock the characters and it's fun to use them. Try it anyway, if you don't like it fine, but maybe you will! :)
 Murf
11-12-2005, 8:46 AM
No offense taken. Thanks for not bashing me. I see your point too. I was frustrated when I wrote that. I just miss SWBF and being able to just start out as Dark Trooper and Jet Trooper. Remember the good time on one of those maps (I think Cloud City - ground map) where you could sit up top and pick them off as they come out.
 MachineCult
11-12-2005, 2:45 PM
I have to admit I don't play as the Jet Trooper half as much as I did in SWBF1.

I still play as the Dark Trooper, the arc caster is very affective.
 Commander Obi-Wan
11-12-2005, 2:48 PM
Yeah.....I like the Dark Trooper and his Arc Caster. I use him alot in BF2....much more than BF1.
 Kurgan
11-12-2005, 3:51 PM
Heroes vary with the server. You can set the parameters on how to unlock Heroes. It may be easy to do, it may be hard to do, but it's whatever the server decides.

Unlocking the 5th class requires at least 5 kills (or was it 7?), and the 6th requires 12 kills.

The bots get them immediately, but you have to earn them. Balanced or not, that's just how they decided to make the game. It's an award/bonus.
 Commander Obi-Wan
11-12-2005, 4:39 PM
I think the 5th class you need 8 points and the 6th you need 12 points.
 Kurgan
11-12-2005, 10:09 PM
Okay thanks, I was close. ;)
Page: 1 of 1