Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

What Did You Think Of the Space Battles In BF II?

Page: 1 of 1
 kookaburra
11-08-2005, 6:19 AM
Hello :D

What did you think of the space battles in BF II?

I thought that the space battles were a little too difficult.I mean you wouldn't get a chance to explore your loacations before some crabby enemy be up you ass shooting at you and you become bantha meat.I have a lot of flaw discusion for BF II but i will discuss that some where else.
 ParanoidAndroid
11-08-2005, 6:30 AM
I really enjoy the space battles, they can be a bit intense at first, but after a while you get used to it, although auto turrets still shot me down with depressing regularity. They really add a lot to the game in my opinion, now only if could make them a bit bigger... with more capital ships.
 rut-wa jodar
11-08-2005, 6:41 AM
space battles are less fun in singleplayer modes because freindly bots don`t land inside enemy Desroyer ships, and due to the lack of bot commands they don`t help much in space too.
 Redtech
11-08-2005, 7:48 AM
I think it's called 'learning to fly'. I love the controls on PS2, they're pretty much the same as BF1 with a roll/tilt function. But it's really cool.

What I don't like is that transports take tons of damage crashing into ships in the hangar..when you're flying into an enemy one, they're blocking your damned way!

Here's a tip: know where you want to go and make your priority to go there. If I'm a bomber, I boost as often as possible, as a gunship, I boost as often as possible, and as a fighter I boost in the direction of a target. Use the boost!

A fast target is harder to hit than a slow one (you can outrun missiles if they fire them late). Also, when dogfighting, slow down and fire your missiles from decent range, then pursue, you don't need to use the boost, just fly like a modern fighter plane: Fire and forget. Save the energy for anyone trying to wise up to you. So you can dodge like Anakin AND NOT like Obi-Wan.

For bombing runs, get to the target PRONTO then take it slow when dive bombing, so that the max number of bombs hit the target. Then boost past the target, slow down, turn around and make another pass.
 CountDooku
11-08-2005, 11:15 AM
The best way to disable the turrets is to run a suicide mission into the first room after the hanger and three bombs will do the trick. I think someone else said it would be better if the capital ships had to actually be destoryed rather than the point system and I thoroughlly agree. Plus in the lifesupport room, where it looks like a bunch of monitors, those should be manned turrets. And in conquest mode you should be able to flee to save what's left of the fleet and if it's destroyed it should not be free to repurchase.
I don't like playing against the empire because sometimes my pilot will get stuck outside their hangar.
 deamonomic
11-08-2005, 11:21 AM
i like how you can bomb an enemy hanger lol tis fun. i like what little of the space battle i ahve played.
 deamonomic
11-08-2005, 11:22 AM
and those are not flaws. those are opinions.
 jawapacker
11-08-2005, 12:46 PM
Space battles are fun, but I wish the individual maps had something to them to make them, I don't know, a little more individual.

The way things are now, nothing really changes from planet to planet except the backdrop and starting ship positions. The end result is that every space map has the same feel to it.

I would have loved a map in the middle of an asteroid field (ala Episodes II or V). I also would have loved a Death Star/Death Star II battle complete with superlasers and attack runs. Or even the aforementioned goal of destroying the enemy capital instead of just hitting a point margin.
 Commander Obi-Wan
11-08-2005, 1:24 PM
I enjoy the space battles.....fun. Though I seem to have the same plan every time I am in the space battles. Destroy the frigates, then the insides of the capital ship, finally the comm. array, bridge, and Sesor Relay, then I am finished. That's why I play with more points and CTF.
 CountDooku
11-08-2005, 1:36 PM
and those are not flaws. those are opinions.

but it's important that we express our opinions so that we can get a patch to fix all the flaws.
 metalmilitia
11-08-2005, 2:47 PM
I like the Clone Wars space battles but they both, especially Galactic Civil War, feel a bit unpolished. They are still great against other people, but against bots they can get kind of boring and tedious. However, they left out a lot of major space battles... I am hoping this is so they can make the space battles better and more versitile and put them in Battlefront III.
 RaV™
11-08-2005, 4:39 PM
Space Battles was great, other then the annoyance of doing the same thing over and over again..
 HUGOMAND
11-08-2005, 4:48 PM
Loved them... Better then Galaxies's space part :D
 Redtech
11-10-2005, 9:44 AM
I can win entire levels almost without ever leaving a bomber. Although it's a good way to notch up those 'war hero' points.

I dunno about destroying Cap-ships though. Maybe as a "final objective", but I doubt it'd be fun to be in the last few fighters getting shot out in space, might as well "team-suicide". Now if there were 2 cap-ships and 8 frigates (per side), it'd get REALLY interesting.
 Commander Obi-Wan
11-10-2005, 1:54 PM
I usually can complete a level with out leaving a Droid Gunship......
 Lithimus
11-10-2005, 2:11 PM
I enjoy the space battles, they make Galactic Conquest alot more fun, breaking up the planet battles.

A difference in the levels would be nice, the generic space battles and over-planet space battles all feel exactly the same, so something to make them different would be nice.

Also, in one of the loading screens it shows a picture of a Star Destroyer with 2 docking bays, is this in the game? If so where? Thanks.
 MachineCult
11-10-2005, 2:22 PM
Not in the game.
 Commander Obi-Wan
11-10-2005, 4:45 PM
The closet to a capital ship with two docking bays would be a Droid capital ship with two opening.
Page: 1 of 1