Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

Game Freezing on Rakatan World

Page: 1 of 1
 The Doctor
11-02-2005, 3:43 PM
Whenever I land on the Unknown World and disembark from the Ebon Hawk, I am able to walk around the surface for a minute, then I get this message saying that "Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic has encountered an error and needs to close. We are [not] sorry for the inconvenience... blah blah blah."
What could be causing this, and how could I fix it?
I have never encountered problems with the game since I installed it on my new computer (so it shouldn't be any problem with my computer's hardware), and I have disabled cheats and I haven't had any mods installed since I installed the game on this computer.
I also did a scan for a viruses - nothing. My (brand new) computer is clean. Then I tryed cleaning up my hard drive. Still didn't work.
I can't think of anything that could be causing the problem, let alone how to fix it. Please help me.
Before you ask, I did try my basic help tips - I rebooted, then re-installed when that didn't work.
 The Doctor
11-04-2005, 4:36 PM
Come on, people, I can't play the game until I get this error fixed. I don't want any other game files to become corrupted (that's happened to me before), so I can't start another game. PLEASE HELP ME.
 lukeiamyourdad
11-04-2005, 5:55 PM
Geez, post your system specifications before anything. The "info" you gave us is absolutely useless.

Update the game and drivers for your video card and sound card before asking.
 The Doctor
11-05-2005, 7:44 PM
What do you think I did first? I CHECKED MY DRIVERS!
It can't be a problem with my harware. I just finished a game on DS, and it worked fine.
 lukeiamyourdad
11-05-2005, 8:31 PM
So? Post the specs anyway. It's not like you can just come out of the woodwork, just say the game crashes and then expect any kind of decent help.
 RedHawke
11-06-2005, 12:41 AM
^^^^
I'm going to have to second what LIAYD said there Doc. You cannot just say "something is broke" and expect anyone to 'scry' up a solution for you. ;)

To get good help you need to shower people with specifics... your system specs are a good start, programs you have running in the background, etc. Just my 2 cents! :D
 The Doctor
11-06-2005, 11:49 AM
I have no programs running in the background.

My specs are (I don't know which ones are relevant, so I'll just list everything I can find):
Version: 5.1.2600 Service Pack 2 Build 2600
OS Manufacturer: Microsoft Corporation
Activation Status: Activation Pending [13 days remaining]
System Name: @#$%@#
System Manufacturer: INTEL
System Model: P4l45Gx_PE
System Type: X86-based PC
Processor: x86 Family Family 15 Model 3 Stepping 4 GenuineIntel~2392 MHz
BIOS Version/Date: American Megatrends Inc. P3.00, 6/1/2004
SMBIOS Version: 2.3
Windows Directory: C:\\Windows
System Directory: C:\\Windows\system 32
Boot Device: \Device\HarddiskVolume1
Locale: United States
Hardware Abstraction Layer: Verison = "5.1.2600.2180 [xpsp_sp2_rtm.040803-2158]
Username: @#$%@#\Owner
Time Zone: Eatern Standard Time
Total Physical Memory: 512.00 MB
Available Physical Memory: 309.75 MB
Total Virual Memory: 2.00 GB
Available Virtual Memory: 1.96 GB
Page File Space: 1.20 GB
Page File: C:\\pagefile.sys
I'm not sure where to find my graphics card specs, but I think it's a 64MB, and it came with the computer, so it's probably and INTEL.
I have no programs open in the background while playing games.
I had just rebooted the machine, and starting KotOR was the first thing I did.
I cleaned the CD and tried it again.
I reinstalled and tryed it again.
The pizza guy had just left, and I was sitting down with four slices of peperonni pizza (you said you wanted specifics).

NOTE: @#$%@# is my name, I just don't want to post it. It's not necessary to fix the problem anyway. I know that much.
 lukeiamyourdad
11-06-2005, 4:12 PM
Ah, see, now there's something clearer, you have an integrated graphics card. It could have developped some problems over time.

Also, you must have at least a few programs running in the background, either it be a firewall or some other programs. Anyway, that isn't important.

Have you installed any programs lately?
 The Doctor
11-06-2005, 10:31 PM
No, I haven't installed anything since KotOR, as far as I remember.
When I said I didn't have any programs running, I meant no other games, no MSN, no internet, etc. I didn't think about stuff like firewalls.
I could ask my Dad if I could get the graphics card from the downstairs computer. It's a Radeon....something. I'll have to double check. But if the problem is my graphics card, ehy do I not get this issue anywhere else in the game? Though I haven't checked many other places (just the Endar Spire).
Sorry if I came off as rude earlier. I don't know what was wrong with me :nut:
 lukeiamyourdad
11-06-2005, 10:39 PM
But if the problem is my graphics card, ehy do I not get this issue anywhere else in the game? Though I haven't checked many other places (just the Endar Spire).

It could be that certain points are harder on your graphics card. It could be anything really. Try another graphic card, other then that, perhaps there's a bad bug in the game exactly at the point.
 The Doctor
11-06-2005, 10:42 PM
But that's the thing, it doesn't happen at the exact same point. Sometimes I get to the end of the dialogue with the Duros, sometimes it crashes before I even get to fight the Rakatan warriors. I've made it top the second group of Rakatan Warriors, but it crashes, no matter what, when I kill the last one of them.
It's extremely irritating.

I tryed re-installing the game. That didn't work. If switching the graphics card doesn't work, I'll just move the save file out of the game and try to fix it some other time. That would suck, though.
 lukeiamyourdad
11-06-2005, 10:46 PM
I wonder though, do you have another save file at that point but with another character?
You could try it out and if it still crashes, it surely isn't caused by the corruption of your save file.
 The Doctor
11-08-2005, 3:41 PM
No, I only have the one file. I started anew file, and if it still crashes, I'll try a new graphics card.
Page: 1 of 1